PDA

View Full Version : Thaddeus Lewis and seniors

watzone
11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/thaddeus-lewis-talks-of-his-career-and-facing-wake-forest/

The kid gave his heart and soul to Duke and has set almost all the Duke career passing records. Thanks Thad, for four great years. It was always a pleasure to talk with Thad during his career. A shout out to his Mom who has attended every game.

airowe
11-25-2009, 01:34 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/thaddeus-lewis-talks-of-his-career-and-facing-wake-forest/

The kid gave his heart and soul to Duke and has set almost all the Duke career passing records. Thanks Thad, for four great years. It was always a pleasure to talk with Thad during his career. A shout out to his Mom who has attended every game.

Absolutely! Great kid, great athlete, great quarterback. I hope he gets a chance to perform professionally somewhere...

Thanks for all the hits you've taken and given Thad!

-bdbd
11-25-2009, 01:45 PM
"The All-Time Duke Passing Leader" -- what more do you need to say?? Think about some of the names he passed along the way... Ben Bennett, Sonny J., Anthony Dilweg, etc. Just look at the impact he had - what state we were in when he arrived, and what state he's leaving it in. Obviously Cut and others are involved too, but make no mistake that Thad has been HUGE for Duke.

I was just thinking back to the terrible circumstance that he stepped into his Freshman year, having to start from day-1 for a D1 team with a less-than-idyllic O-line situation (frequently running for his life - and taking some brutal hits - all while learning the system and players and adjusting to college...). As I recall, there wasn't really even an established back-up either. He's been a class act all the way through. And a pleasure to watch.

Thank you Thad!!!

-BDBD :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Thad is a standout among the seniors as is Vince Oghobaase, another great recruit who had faith that he could make a difference...... and he has! Vinnie Rey, Kinney Rucker, Leon Wright, Catron Gainey, Re'quan Boyette, Ayanga Okpokowuruk plus 5 others who are red shirt juniors giving up their final year of eligibility (opening up scholarships).... these guys are worthy of our praise and thanks.

I hope many who are reading this board over the next day or so will decide even at the last minute to buy one of those $15 tickets (price good through Friday) and be in Wallace Wade Stadium Saturday.

What a great class!!!!!

airowe
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Thad is a standout among the seniors as is Vince Oghobaase, another great recruit who had faith that he could make a difference...... and he has! Vinnie Rey, Kinney Rucker, Leon Wright, Catron Gainey, Re'quan Boyette, Ayanga Okpokowuruk plus 5 others who are red shirt juniors giving up their final year of eligibility (opening up scholarships).... these guys are worthy of our praise and thanks.

I hope many who are reading this board over the next day or so will decide even at the last minute to buy one of those $15 tickets (price good through Friday) and be in Wallace Wade Stadium Saturday.

What a great class!!!!!

I'll be there. I'm surprised Vinny Rey is giving up his final year of eligibility. He seems to really love playing at Duke, as do all of the guys you listed.

Beyond VO, do any of these guys have a chance at the NFL?

Acymetric
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I'll be there. I'm surprised Vinny Rey is giving up his final year of eligibility. He seems to really love playing at Duke, as do all of the guys you listed.

Beyond VO, do any of these guys have a chance at the NFL?

No, the names listed have exhausted their eligibility. Its those players, plus five redshirt juniors who either have chosen to or been asked to not play their fifth year (hopefully the former). None of the 5 made much of an impact, probably Sheldon Bell made the biggest, and he pretty much only played special teams this year. Thanks to all these guys for their commitment to the program!

cspan37421
11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
It's been said before, but can you just imagine Thad with 4 years of Cutcliffe? Look what he did with 3 years of Roof and just 1 of Cutcliffe!

Devilsfan
11-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Imagine if Thad had a top twenty type O line, one system (Cut's) over four years and didn't have to fear for his life against the real physical opponents.

airowe
11-25-2009, 02:44 PM
No, the names listed have exhausted their eligibility. Its those players, plus five redshirt juniors who either have chosen to or been asked to not play their fifth year (hopefully the former). None of the 5 made much of an impact, probably Sheldon Bell made the biggest, and he pretty much only played special teams this year. Thanks to all these guys for their commitment to the program!

Got it. I'm only halfway on the bandwagon yet. ;) I cheer long and hard, but I don't know nearly as much about the team as I should.

So, for the guys who are leaving, what are their pro prospects?

Olympic Fan
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
It's been said before, but can you just imagine Thad with 4 years of Cutcliffe? Look what he did with 3 years of Roof and just 1 of Cutcliffe!

While I agree with your sentiment, just to be accurate, Thad had two years with Roof and two years with Cutcliffe.

What I regret is that Vinny Rey was used -- sparingly (mostly special teams) -- as a true freshman in 2006. Just imagine how neat it would be to have him coming back next season as a fifth-year senior.

Same for Catron Gainey ...

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2009, 03:07 PM

Thad has been coached by Coach Cutlciffe and the staff two years, not one.

DukieInKansas
11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
A big thank you to all the seniors. Your efforts have been appreciated.

Good luck in all future endeavors.

chrishoke
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm gladly on this bandwagon. Thank you so much seniors! We apprerciate your efforts more than you can know, and we are very proud of you. Go out there and have fun in your last game and bring home the bacon. Go Devils!

cspan37421
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Thad has been coached by Coach Cutlciffe and the staff two years, not one.

My bad, thanks for reminding me - Cutcliffe still feels so new, I forgot about last year entirely.

loran16
11-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Got it. I'm only halfway on the bandwagon yet. ;) I cheer long and hard, but I don't know nearly as much about the team as I should.

Vince Oghobasse will be drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Aside from him, the rest of the players only have a shot at the NFL through being undrafted FAs, and not great shots at that (our top 3 last year were far better and only Eron made the practice squad i think)

Neals384
11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Just a little bit of a pet peeve: if you wish to post about some sport other than basketball, please do us the favor of putting a clue in your title.

e,g, FB: Thadeus...

I know this is hard to believe, but some of us on the board have no idea who Thadeus is...

Thanks!

Neal

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
My bad, thanks for reminding me - Cutcliffe still feels so new, I forgot about last year entirely.

No need to apologize. The more you're involved with the football program, the familiar it will become. The important thing is that you're getting involved and support the program.

watzone
11-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Just a little bit of a pet peeve: if you wish to post about some sport other than basketball, please do us the favor of putting a clue in your title.

e,g, FB: Thadeus...

I know this is hard to believe, but some of us on the board have no idea who Thadeus is...

Thanks!

Neal

Are you serious? Duke plays more than basketball and this board has always catered to both sports. If you have been coming here long it is hard to imagine that you do not know who Thaddeus is. Sorry, we made you open a thread;)

Now, back to the awesome seniors and wanting to give Leon some love as well.

peloton
11-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I have to echo the sentiments here in saying, "many thanks" to all the seniors for their hard work on the gridiron over the last few years. As Duke fans, we always appreciate the effort put forth by you guys whether it's obvious or not. My sincerest congrats to Thad on becoming Duke's new all time leading passer - quite an honor. I would love nothing more than to see all the seniors leave Duke with a win against the Deacs in Wallace Wade. Let's make it happen, Devils! Kick some Baptist butt! :)

Loran16, from what I've read Michael Tauiliili signed a 2 yr free agent deal with the Colts.

Acymetric
11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Loran16, from what I've read Michael Tauiliili signed a 2 yr free agent deal with the Colts.

He did, but unfortunately was cut, right after preseason if I recall correctly.

sagegrouse
11-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Here's the bad news. From the Wash Post, here are the players drafted by member school over the past five years:

NFL draft picks.

Team NFL draft picks 2005-2009 Record 2005-2009

Florida State 26 36-26
Virginia Tech 24 49-15
Miami 24 35-25
Virginia 22 29-30
Clemson 17 39-22
N.C. State 16 25-34
Maryland 13 30-30
Georgia Tech 12 42-21
Wake Forest 11 36-26
North Carolina 11 27-31
Boston College 10 46-17
Duke 0 11-46

Source: pro-football-reference.com

It's a little hard to read, but the gist is the 11 other teams in the ACC had between ten and 24 players chosen in the NFL draft. Duke had 0, zero, zippo, nada, rien, nothing.

The next pair of numbers is overall record for these five years. Duke's 11-46 compares with State's second worse, 25-34. And, of course, Duke has won most of its games in the past two seasons.

This is a dismal picture. Lets see what the seniors get this year.

sagegrouse
'I knew there was a talent gap, but this is embarrassing'

Acymetric
11-26-2009, 01:54 PM
I just read something I thought I should share here. Thad either owns or shares a total of FORTY-EIGHT records at Duke. For people that say he was bound to accumulate stats just from being a starter for 4 years, that admittedly plays into his 25 career marks. But you don't pick up 17 season and 6 game records just because you played 4 years. Guy has been a great QB for us, and though I'm excited for the future and the guys we have to fill in for him I'll miss his play tremendously.

Imagine what he could have looked like with a good line, complimentary running game, and all 4 years under Cut...

Stray Gator
11-26-2009, 06:06 PM
This list of FBS teams and their total wins over the last two seasons was posted by someone on a Gator board I frequent, and I was proud to see how much progress Duke has made relative to some other prominent programs, so I thought it would be of interest here, too:

24 - Florida

23 - Boise State, Texas and Alabama

22 - TCU and Utah

21 - Cincinnati and Penn State

20 - Ohio State

19 - BYU, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Oregon and USC

18 - Virginia Tech, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma

17 - Houston, Central Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska, Missouri, Oregon State, Cal and Ole Miss

16 - East Carolina, Troy, Navy, Boston College, North Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia and LSU

15 - Tulsa, Air Force, Nevada, Clemson, Florida State, Miami (FL), South Florida, Rutgers, Wisconsin and Michigan State

14 - Southern Miss, Temple, Western Michigan, Ball State, Fresno State, Arizona and Kentucky

13 - Northern Illinois, Middle Tennessee, Notre Dame, Connecticut, Minnesota, Kansas and South Carolina

12 - Rice, Ohio, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Louisiana-Lafayette, Hawaii, Wake Forest, Stanford, Arkansas and Auburn

11 - UCF, Louisiana Tech, Kansas State and Tennessee

10 - Marshall, Colorado State, Louisiana-Monroe, Florida Atlantic, NC State, Maryland, Texas A&M and UCLA

9 - UAB, Kent State, Wyoming, UNLV, Idaho, Duke, Louisville, Purdue, Arizona State and Vanderbilt

8 - Memphis, UTEP, Toledo, FIU, Arkansas State, Army, Virginia, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa State, Colorado, Baylor and Mississippi State

7 - SMU, Arkon, San Jose State, Syracuse and Indiana

6 - San Diego State, New Mexico State and Utah State

5 - Tulane and New Mexico

3 - Miami (OH), Eastern Michigan, North Texas, Washington and Washington State

2 - Western Kentucky