PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Cut's press conference, 11-24

jimsumner
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM
There's a chance VO will play Saturday. We'll know more later.

Renfree had knee surgery yesterday. Prognosis good. May play this spring but not at full speed. Should be fine by fall. Renfree's father is an orthopedic surgeon, btw.

It was announced that Sheldon Bell, Jeremy Ringfield, Robert Drum, Andrew Holloman, and Jeffrey Cowart will be introduced as seniors. All are academic seniors, with one-year of eligibility remaining who will not use that fifth year. Frees up five scholarships.

Long discussion about inability of team to score TDs from red zone. Lack of running game major factor. Duke needs bigger, better playmakers in red zone. "Really good football teams have rushing touchdowns."

Very unlikely that Schroeder will play Saturday. Preservation of his redshirt is paramount. Thad is healthier than last few weeks. Some other folks are working in wildcat formations.

RE: Miami. Cut says "no doubt in my mind we win the game going away" if Duke scores down 20-16. Says team was "emotionally gassed" after coming up empty on that drive. Would not comment on officiating but acknowledged that Duke had communciated with the ACC office regarding the matter

Show up Saturday, if at all possible. Team deserves a solid send-off. That's my sentiments, btw.

Bob Green
11-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks Jim. I appreciate you posting the news conference notes, injury reports, and game times each week this season.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Jim. Your notes from these press conferences cut to the most important information and give me the feeling of being present.

DukeSince'77
11-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Jim! Your updates and knowledge of all things DUKE are part of the reason I frequent these boards!

sagegrouse
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
RE: Miami. Cut says "no doubt in my mind we win the game going away" if Duke scores down 20-16. Says team was "emotionally gassed" after coming up empty on that drive. Would not comment on officiating but acknowledged that Duke had communciated with the ACC office regarding the matter

What was the point of controversy regarding the officials? (I didn't get to see the game.)

sagegrouse

Bob Green
11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
What was the point of controversy regarding the officials? (I didn't get to see the game.)

sagegrouse

Down 20-16, Duke was threatening to score (we were in the Red Zone). On second down, Lewis was called for Intentional Grounding, a horrible call, even the Miami announcers comment on how ridiculous was the call. We get moved back and lose the down so it is third down. We run a pass play over the middle and the Miami defender is riding the Duke receiver's back - obvious pass interference - no call. Fourth down - Snyderwine misses the FG so we come away empty handed at a critical point in the 4th Quarter.

DukeSince'77
11-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Addressing the running game - will Desmond be the guy next year or will the recruits, Juwan Thompson or Josh Snead fill the need??

MulletMan
11-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Down 20-16, Duke was threatening to score (we were in the Red Zone). On second down, Lewis was called for Intentional Grounding, a horrible call, even the Miami announcers comment on how ridiculous was the call. We get moved back and lose the down so it is third down. We run a pass play over the middle and the Miami defender is riding the Duke receiver's back - obvious pass interference - no call. Fourth down - Snyderwine misses the FG so we come away empty handed at a critical point in the 4th Quarter.

Bob... you don't do the officials justice on the "intentional grounding" call. Let's not leave out the fact that it was a screen pass on which the Miami defender tackled the intended receiver just before Thad released the ball and then the ball landed almost at the feet of the receiver and defender who were on the ground.

Newton_14
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Bob... you don't do the officials justice on the "intentional grounding" call. Let's not leave out the fact that it was a screen pass on which the Miami defender tackled the intended receiver just before Thad released the ball and then the ball landed almost at the feet of the receiver and defender who were on the ground.

Also, I was in CIS at the time and did not see it, but on that drive, wasn't it 2nd and goal from the 6 yard line when the grounding call was made? That is what someone in CIS said but I was not sure if that was true or not?

2nd and goal from the 6 makes those two calls all the more painful.

If someone could educate me on the distance to goal there I would appreciate it.

Thanks

jv001
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Addressing the running game - will Desmond be the guy next year or will the recruits, Juwan Thompson or Josh Snead fill the need??

But the biggest need is for an offensive line that can move people off the line and protect our QB. Then we will have a running game to compliment our fine passing game. That's when we go bowling again. I think it's going to happen with Coach Cut. Go Duke!

jimsumner
11-24-2009, 05:35 PM
JV001 is correct. Duke has developed an offensive line that is competent at pass blocking but just isn't very effective at run blocking.

Duke returns all but one of the guys who played at OL this year. But some of these guys are painfully small. Now, if you don't follow college football closely, the idea that someone 6'3", 250 pounds is "painfully small" might seem ludicrous. But when Duke center Bryan Morgan goes out, he's giving up anywhere from 30 to 70 pounds to every defensive lineman he's blocking. Brian Moore and Connor Irwin are two promising, talented young lineman. But both need to live in the weight room this off season.

Some of the other OL have the size but lack ideal foot speed.

Kyle Hill is the one Duke OL who has it all. Duke needs to surround him with comparable talent.

So, this an area that needs upgrading. The good news is that Duke was able to redshirt its true-freshmen OL and has a couple of studs coming into the program next year. The bad news is that freshmen-redshirt or otherwise-rarely make contributions at that position. It tends to take time.

You can make incremental improvements in techniques and schemes but Duke is going to have to put bigger, stronger, quicker offensive lineman on the field before the team has an ACC-caliber ground game. Whether those bigger, stronger, quicker linemen come from improved upperclassmen or the youngsters remains to be seen. But this will be a high priority this spring.

dukestheheat
11-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Also, I was in CIS at the time and did not see it, but on that drive, wasn't it 2nd and goal from the 6 yard line when the grounding call was made? That is what someone in CIS said but I was not sure if that was true or not?

2nd and goal from the 6 makes those two calls all the more painful.

If someone could educate me on the distance to goal there I would appreciate it.

Thanks

six yard line. We were going in to score and I believe that this would have powered Duke to victory in this game. We had the momentum on that drive; what happened there is that it looked like a screen didn't materialize, and Lewis just threw it in the grass. In doing it like he did, it didn't look disguised or anything like that if you know what I mean, but I was surprised they called intentional grounding. I've never seen an IG call there at that spot on the field. But clearly, we were rattled after going backwards on that play and the next. And the missed field goal really did deflate the team, I think.

We are going to beat Wake Forest this weekend.

My $.02, and yes I am a former quarterback.

dukestheheat.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Don't know anything about Thompson, but Josh Snead is the real deal - a "play maker" with speed. I saw him play once on his home field (about 300 yards from where I sit now at home), and he had an "average" game of 35+ carries and 160+ yards rushing, plus kickoff and punt returns, plus a couple of receptions. He was their entire offense. The first play he didn't run, the other back fumbled and it was returned for a TD. The first pass the QB threw was also returned for a TD.

In most games he had multiple 20+ yard TD's either from rushing plays or returns, many going 50 to 80 yards. I'm excited he's coming to Duke.

ChrisP
11-24-2009, 11:21 PM
First of all, thanks to Jim for posting the presser info - I really have enjoyed reading it this year.

My comment regarding last week has to with the fact that I have not seen or heard ANY comments on why Coach Cut chose to sit on the ball at the end of the first half. As I recall, we forced a Miami punt (touchback) and thus had the ball on our 20 yard line with about 1:48 to go and two time outs. We'd been able to move the ball pretty well throughout the first half so...why not try to make something happen? I realize we were probably trying to run out the clock and all that but..I thought it was poor strategy. In the end, we didn't even run out the clock and ended up punting back to Miami with about :10 to go in the half. I was praying that it wouldn't get blocked or run back for a TD at that point.