PDA

View Full Version : A little announcement

Jumbo
11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Folks, we don't need nine threads on UNC on the Duke Basketball Report, let alone TWO devoted to John Henson. If you want to talk about UNC, there are a couple of threads that will satisfy your hunger. Or, you can just go post on IC. The obsession with UNC is a little frightening, to be honest.

Duvall
11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
The obsession with UNC is a little frightening, to be honest.

Why? Obsession is a critical part of any meaningful rivalry.

Reddevil
11-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Also it seems many posts have been more argumentative since around September. Point / counterpoint is fantastic, and the way I have witnessed this board most of the time, but it seems a bit unnecessarily edgy lately. Not sure - maybe it's just me. Healthy debate is what makes a board go 'round, but put downs and insults within the fandom are kinda lame. GO DUKE!

flyingdutchdevil
11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Why? Obsession is a critical part of any meaningful rivalry.

I have to agree with this. It's not like we're praising UNC, or following their every move. I'd say that the vast majority of these posts are about UNC struggling, and, more enjoyably, John Henson's skeletal body. UNC's progress (or lack thereof) is an important part of the Duke basketball world and vice versa.

roywhite
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I have to agree with this. It's not like we're praising UNC, or following their every move. I'd say that the vast majority of these posts are about UNC struggling, and, more enjoyably, John Henson's skeletal body. UNC's progress (or lack thereof) is an important part of the Duke basketball world and vice versa.

Agree. In between Duke basketball games has been a Carolina game and some notable comments by the UNC coach. That's news around these parts. I certainly don't have a problem with consolidating threads, but what is the point of scolding the posters? "The obsession with UNC is a little frightening, to be honest."

slower
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Folks, we don't need nine threads on UNC on the Duke Basketball Report, let alone TWO devoted to John Henson. If you want to talk about UNC, there are a couple of threads that will satisfy your hunger. Or, you can just go post on IC. The obsession with UNC is a little frightening, to be honest.

As always, you're the voice of reason. Hoping that you'll enforce this and lock subsequent threads (such as Hans game summaries).

NYDukie
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM

100% agree. After my trolling of the IC board during someone's recruitment I couldn't believe the # of Duke threads on their board. Even though the DBR board is not nearly as bad as IC's, it has been noticeable of the current UNC threads. Some threads are insightful for us to debate but some have been silly and a bit nasty (which I tended to notice to be a lot of IC posters M.O. regarding Duke). I think we can be and do better than that.

SMO
11-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Also it seems many posts have been more argumentative since around September. Point / counterpoint is fantastic, and the way I have witnessed this board most of the time, but it seems a bit unnecessarily edgy lately. Not sure - maybe it's just me. Healthy debate is what makes a board go 'round, but put downs and insults within the fandom are kinda lame. GO DUKE!

Testosterone levels peak in the fall. Go figure.

flyingdutchdevil
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
100% agree. After my trolling of the IC board during someone's recruitment I couldn't believe the # of Duke threads on their board. Even though the DBR board is not nearly as bad as IC's, it has been noticeable of the current UNC threads. Some threads are insightful for us to debate but some have been silly and a bit nasty (which I tended to notice to be a lot of IC posters M.O. regarding Duke). I think we can be and do better than that.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I don't feel that many of our UNC threads are nasty (but some are silly and in good humor). We don't curse out UNC, wish that they're players get into accidents, plan on throwing batteries at their players' mothers, etc. Most of the posts are thoughtful and some are humorous. If you can't that the piss out of their players, then would you really call this a rivalry?

Jumbo
11-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Agree. In between Duke basketball games has been a Carolina game and some notable comments by the UNC coach. That's news around these parts. I certainly don't have a problem with consolidating threads, but what is the point of scolding the posters? "The obsession with UNC is a little frightening, to be honest."

Oh, absolutely. I'm not really talking about news items -- those are always meaningful. You basically got it right -- this is more about consolidating threads on similar topics (UNC hate, etc.). There's no reason to start a SECOND thread on John Henson, as someone did earlier. And as far as the obsession goes, there is a small segment of posters who seem far more concerned with what UNC does than what Duke does. That's what I meant by frightening, since this is the Duke Basketball Report, after all.

Anyway, just think we can fix this pretty easily.

dukeimac
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Me thinks me smells some tarholes posting to this website.

It is too bad people can't see that and will engage this people in what they think is meaningful banter.

I see the Hansen post every time I'm in here and I have yet to even look at the damn thing.

Why would you? Me thinks some Duke fans are not so bright after all!

elvis14
11-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you Jumbo, this is the post of the day! A while back someone mentioned on DBR that they trolled the IC board and mentioned the large percentage of Duke threads. IC was somewhat pitiful in that regard. Of late, DBR has been all about the UNC. I'm here to disucss DUKE basketball. Here's a quote from one of my recent posts (in the UNC Hate thread):

My second thought was one I've had a lot recently....I've read this board for about 10 years now and I can not recall another time when there were so many UNC threads and posts. That's not a good thing.

I'm all about the rivalry and I really do hate all things UNC but my obsession is the positive way I feel about Duke basketball, not the way I hate UNC and their awful fans.

9F

Blueequalslife23
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh, absolutely. I'm not really talking about news items -- those are always meaningful. You basically got it right -- this is more about consolidating threads on similar topics (UNC hate, etc.). There's no reason to start a SECOND thread on John Henson, as someone did earlier. And as far as the obsession goes, there is a small segment of posters who seem far more concerned with what UNC does than what Duke does. That's what I meant by frightening, since this is the Duke Basketball Report, after all.

Anyway, just think we can fix this pretty easily.

I was the one who posted the second John Henson one. And the reason I did that was because MY post was about his play. That post is about his bone structure. I don't care/ want to talk about that. So if you want to put my post about his basketball skills in his bone structure thread. Please delete my post. Totally irrelevant.

Kedsy
11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I would have to respectfully disagree. I don't feel that many of our UNC threads are nasty (but some are silly and in good humor). We don't curse out UNC, wish that they're players get into accidents, plan on throwing batteries at their players' mothers, etc. Most of the posts are thoughtful and some are humorous. If you can't that the piss out of their players, then would you really call this a rivalry?

Well, I think it's ironic that the purpose of Jumbo's post was to lament the many UNC threads on this board and his thread has turned into... a thread about UNC.

Newton_14
11-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with the good RoyWhite in that there are just too many UNC-CH threads, thats all. We could do with 1 Henson thread and talk anatomy/lack of skills all in the same place.:) The Hans NBA MVP watch can go in the NBA thread, etc.

And when I first joined DBR a couple of years ago, you never saw an in-game thread on UNC-CH against another team unless someone put one up very late in the game if it appeared they were going to lose. Even then you had to be careful and not start that thread too soon in the case they should come back and win. (the ol jinxing them into a come from behind win):D. Would like to see us get back to that rule.

That's my take. And like one of the other posters mentioned, it has gotten a little snarky around here lately. A lot of attacking the poster vs attacking the post. We all can do better in that area me thinks.

But, still the best board/forum/community on the planet by a mile....

brsett
11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
I like ACC basketball and wish that all ACC basketball was on topic here, rather than just Duke basketball. I would prefer to lose non-basketball content rather than basketball content, regardless of team. My desires matter little, so I take what I can get (and never, never start new threads).

Even so, I enjoy the UNC threads. I enjoyed the Rodney Roger threads too. And if someone decided to discuss Miami's incredible start, I would enjoy that too. I guess many others would not.

This will always be the Duke board. I don't think there is any risk of that changing even if more ACC content dribbles in <g>.

77devil
11-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Couldn't agree more. You and the other mods have the discretion-exercise it!

juise
11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Another terrible thing about UNC threads (like this one): The ad at the top of my screen for collegebasketballstore.com shows UNC gear. Blech!

-jk
11-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Another terrible thing about UNC threads (like this one): The ad at the top of my screen for collegebasketballstore.com shows UNC gear. Blech!

So click it and don't buy anything! UNC licensing gets hit, and DBR gets paid!

Win-win.

-jk

brsett
11-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I like ACC basketball and wish that all ACC basketball was on topic here, rather than just Duke basketball. I would prefer to lose non-basketball content rather than basketball content, regardless of team. My desires matter little, so I take what I can get (and never, never start new threads).

Even so, I enjoy the UNC threads. I enjoyed the Rodney Roger threads too. And if someone decided to discuss Miami's incredible start, I would enjoy that too. I guess many others would not.

This will always be the Duke board. I don't think there is any risk of that changing even if more ACC content dribbles in <g>.

I want to revise and extend my remarks. I think if more Duke fans were ACC basketball fans as well, instead of just Duke Basketball fans, both this forum and CIS would be better places for it. The myopia of some Duke fans leads to fans without much knowledge of basketball (obviously anyone reading this post is not included in that group ;) ) or much to contribute real fandom.

Regardless, this is still the best forum I know of for Duke basketball talk and whatever ACC basketball talk that gets though is generally at a really good level also.

oldnavy
11-25-2009, 07:09 AM
I think that the fact that the heels are down a little is a factor in the increase in UNC threads. I will admit that I ALMOST get as much of a thrill when the holes lose as I do when Duke wins, so I guess in a way I am obsessed with the holes... can't help it though so I have to roll with it... ABC Baby! Anybody But Carolina!!:eek: