PDA

View Full Version : MBB: LSU vs UConn

speedevil2001
11-24-2009, 03:13 AM
which team would you rather see win?

personally i want uconn to win, so they can play against duke on friday.

camion
11-24-2009, 07:13 AM
LSU, and it has nothing to do with the strength of the teams. My nephew is a student at LSU.

Beyond that I always pull for UConn to lose as early and often as possible.

BD80
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Unless a team or coach I like is involved, I generally root for the team whose win would most improve our strength of schedule or the ACC's strength of schedule.

The only teams I root against are:

unc
uCon
unc
Kentucky
unc
unc
unc
unc
unc
unc

Go Tigers!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Unless a team or coach I like is involved, I generally root for the team whose win would most improve our strength of schedule or the ACC's strength of schedule.

The only teams I root against are:

unc
uCon
unc
Kentucky
unc
unc
unc
unc
unc
unc

Go Tigers!

It's Geaux Tigers!

juise
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I was at the 2004 Final Four loss to UCon(n). It was heartbreaking. Their fans were horribly rude the whole time we were in San Antonio. I don't think Duke has beat them in a while. I would like Duke to have a shot at them... I like our chances. I also agree with BD80's point that it would help Duke's strength of schedule.

vango
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd want to play the best team. I'd say that was UCon(n).

Troublemaker
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
UConn, of course. If the goal is for Duke to improve each game, we probably have a greater chance to get better against UConn than against LSU (however marginal that advantage might be). Would love to see our perimeter troika go up against UConn's troika of Walker/Dyson/Robinson. Although a Singler battle against Tasmin Mitchell wouldn't be bad TV either. All this assuming we beat ASU, of course.

coachbob
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
This is one of the very few times I will pull for ucon. The only reason is that I want a chance for Duke to crush them on Friday. I dislike ucon almost as much as unc.

Azdukefan
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I was at the 2004 Final Four loss to UCon(n). It was heartbreaking. Their fans were horribly rude the whole time we were in San Antonio. I don't think Duke has beat them in a while. I would like Duke to have a shot at them... I like our chances. I also agree with BD80's point that it would help Duke's strength of schedule.

I too was at that game and the lasting image I have engrained in my mind was seeing CDU's brother outside balling. I went up to him and gave him a hug and told him to tell Chris we were blessed to have had him for four years.

That has been the only Duke game I have been to until I attend the Duke-UNC game at Cameron this year (just bought tickets the other day). I am looking forward to seeing Duke get to .500 with me in attendance.

In terms of who I would prefer to play, I would like to play Ucon(n) as they would be the best test for us. Last year we didn't get the chance to play UCLA so I would like for us to get a chance to beat an elite program (did I just call Ucon elite?) in the final.

Saratoga2
11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Frankly the talk about LSU/UCONN tends to be a little presumptuous. We will have a tough game to play against ASU and if we win that one, I will be happy to see us play the winner of the LSU/UCONN match.

juise
11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Frankly the talk about LSU/UCONN tends to be a little presumptuous. We will have a tough game to play against ASU and if we win that one, I will be happy to see us play the winner of the LSU/UCONN match.

Some posts presume that Duke would have to win on Wednesday to play UCon(n) and some do not. Either way, Duke will have an opponent on Friday. I want UCon(n).

flyingdutchdevil
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Some posts presume that Duke would have to win on Wednesday to play UCon(n) and some do not. Either way, Duke will have an opponent on Friday. I want UCon(n).

Same. That will be a great game. While beating UCONN in the Final Four and then somehow facing UCONN in the NC game will be the only way to get payback for the last 10 years, playing and beating (I am that confident ;)) UCONN will be a great feeling.

By the way, love the UCon(n) spelling!

Kedsy
11-24-2009, 01:10 PM

The UConn fans were even ruder in St. Petersburg in 1999. I used to sort of like UConn until that Final Four. Still, I agree with those who want us to play the better opponent, and if that's UConn, then hopefully we'll play them.

I also agree with the poster(s) who said we shouldn't overlook Arizona State, but the good news is whether we overlook them or not has absolutely no impact on what the team does.

Kedsy
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
While beating UCONN in the Final Four and then somehow facing UCONN in the NC game will be the only way to get payback for the last 10 years, playing and beating (I am that confident ;)) UCONN will be a great feeling.

Just to be fair, I'm sure UConn fans already viewed the 1999 and 2004 games as payback for our beating them in the NCAA tourney in 1990 (on a last second shot with the Final Four on the line, at a time when they'd never been to one) and 1991. To my knowledge, Duke is still winning its all-time series with UConn.

Frankly, I don't understand why losing to a team makes people hate that team. If you want to rail against some of Calhoun's methods or dislike UConn fans (who admittedly are mean and obnoxious in a Marylandian manner), I'm with you 100%. But if you hate everyone we lose to, I don't get it. Although it might go a long way toward explaining all the Duke hate that's out there, because we've beaten a lot of teams over the years.

Fish80
11-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Agree, let's focus on the ASU game. The sun devils will be ready. Herb is a very smart man. Stoic. But smart. His team will be disciplined and will play smart ball. Slow, boring. But smart. We need to force the tempo. Go Tasmanian on their sunny buttocks.

I think there are two games on Friday, so everybody gets to play again.

flyingdutchdevil
11-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Just to be fair, I'm sure UConn fans already viewed the 1999 and 2004 games as payback for our beating them in the NCAA tourney in 1990 (on a last second shot with the Final Four on the line, at a time when they'd never been to one) and 1991. To my knowledge, Duke is still winning its all-time series with UConn.

Frankly, I don't understand why losing to a team makes people hate that team. If you want to rail against some of Calhoun's methods or dislike UConn fans (who admittedly are mean and obnoxious in a Marylandian manner), I'm with you 100%. But if you hate everyone we lose to, I don't get it. Although it might go a long way toward explaining all the Duke hate that's out there, because we've beaten a lot of teams over the years.

I believe you can call that irrational emotions. I have them and, call me immature, but I feel it's natural for someone to get angry over a loss to a team like UCONN in the FF. That was my freshman year at Duke and, more importantly, the first loss that I was truly stunned by. Ever since, I never really liked UCONN, and the players' crime streak and Calhoun's behavior haven't done anything to cure that.

I fully agree with you that you shouldn't "hate" a team based on losing to them, but I feel that you shouldn't merely have a neutral position on them either. And, for the record, I ironically don't have any negative perceptions of Villanova. In all honesty, I respect them more after they beat Duke (okay, maybe a few days after they beat Duke ;)). Emotions are strange - that's all I can say.

Kedsy
11-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I believe you can call that irrational emotions. I have them and, call me immature, but I feel it's natural for someone to get angry over a loss to a team like UCONN in the FF. That was my freshman year at Duke and, more importantly, the first loss that I was truly stunned by.

I would never dream of calling you immature. And I do think it's perfectly natural to be disappointed and upset after a loss in a big game. I don't understand anger or hate in such a situation, however. (I'm not trying to single you out -- you are only one among many who have these sorts of feelings; I just don't understand it.)

Assuming UConn didn't cheat (and however poorly you think the game was officiated, it wasn't UConn's doing), what did the team or the school do to merit such vitriolic feelings? They were trying to win, just like we were trying to win. On that occasion they were simply a little more successful than we were, that's all.

Now, their fans are a different story. I was at that game (as well as the 1999 game) and the UConn fans were disgusting. I'm totally on board with being angry at them.

flyingdutchdevil
11-24-2009, 05:36 PM
I would never dream of calling you immature. And I do think it's perfectly natural to be disappointed and upset after a loss in a big game. I don't understand anger or hate in such a situation, however. (I'm not trying to single you out -- you are only one among many who have these sorts of feelings; I just don't understand it.)

Assuming UConn didn't cheat (and however poorly you think the game was officiated, it wasn't UConn's doing), what did the team or the school do to merit such vitriolic feelings? They were trying to win, just like we were trying to win. On that occasion they were simply a little more successful than we were, that's all.

Now, their fans are a different story. I was at that game (as well as the 1999 game) and the UConn fans were disgusting. I'm totally on board with being angry at them.

I fully agree with you. They did nothing to merit such anger from me (hatred is a strong word - I began to dislike UCONN more and more as time went on). And I fully agree - they were trying to win. Emotion is irrational, and I can't fully explain it. However, I know that I was upset (very upset - probably bruised a few knuckles punching a wall) and needed to blame someone. Did I blame our team for not winning? Of course! Was that completely unfounded and irrational? Of course! But I was also mad at the team that beat us - a team that didn't have a very good reputation to begin with. So I did what I thought was logical at the time - blamed the opposing team.

I am normally decent at explaining myself. With UConn, it's tough to get a grasp on why I just don't like them. Bottom line - don't beat my Blue Devils in the tourney! ;)

JaMarcus Russell
11-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I will obviously be cheering for LSU since I am from the area and grew up liking the team, but I won't be disappointed at all if UConn wins because they probably have the better team, and heading into the season, they certainly have higher expectations than LSU which basically lost 5 of their top 7 players.

Therefore, if Duke plays UConn (assuming we beat Arizona State), they will have played some quality opposition and will also be getting more national respect if they win both games. We will also have a better idea of how good this team truly is.

uh_no
11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
To my knowledge, Duke is still winning its all-time series with UConn.

Incorrect

the series is tied 4-4, 2-2 in the tournament

Duvall
11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Incorrect

the series is tied 4-4, 2-2 in the tournament

Duke is 3-2 against Connecticut in the NCAA Tournament, with wins in 1964, 1990 and 1991 and losses in 1999 and 2004. I'd have to check the media guide for the regular season record.

4-4 overall.

77devil
11-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Duke is 3-2 against Connecticut in the NCAA Tournament, with wins in 1964, 1990 and 1991 and losses in 1999 and 2004. I'd have to check the media guide for the regular season record.

4-4 overall.

The two regular season games were the 1999-2000 Devils that lost to UConn as the second loss of two games in consecutive days in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament after losing a nail biter to Stanford. That was a really painful start to a year in which Duke bounced back and arguably overachieved. The other match up was a win in the 1976-77 season. Interestingly, both games were played at the Garden.

jipops
11-24-2009, 11:18 PM
The two regular season games were the 1999-2000 Devils that lost to UConn as the second loss of two games in consecutive days in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament after losing a nail biter to Stanford. That was a really painful start to a year in which Duke bounced back and arguably overachieved. The other match up was a win in the 1976-77 season. Interestingly, both games were played at the Garden.

Duke was without Carlos Boozer in both of those CvC games due to injury.

77devil
11-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Duke was without Carlos Boozer in both of those CvC games due to injury.

Boozer was not 100%, but he played in both games.

uh_no
11-25-2009, 12:12 AM

4-4 overall.

yeah it was 4-4 overall...just i had the 64 game (actually in 63) as not counting towards the tourney

gep
11-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Well... for me, I remember some comment that Calhoun made at Ucon after the 1999 NC... something about "kicking a@$ down there"... and seeming like he really meant it. After that, I had no liking to Calhoun... which translates to also not liking Ucon. The player in-discretions (theft, etc) and Calhoun's antics with AAU, etc helped that too. I *always* like to see Ucon lose:) ... unc vs Ucon would be one of the hardest games for me to watch.

cbnaylor
11-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Like others, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from 1999 and 2004. I HATE UCONN almost as much as I hate Carolina. Duke hasn't faced them since 2004 if I'm correct and it would be bitter sweet to face them. Bring on the Huskies!

RelativeWays
11-25-2009, 08:11 AM
What is with you people? UCon cost us two national championships (lets be honest, GT is not beating us in the 04 final), There is no other reason needed to justify the hate. Down with Creepy Calhoun and UCon.

airowe
11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
I want Ucon to lose...

...To Duke. Badly.

hurleyfor3
11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Reminder: "the university of Connecticut" is in New Haven, not Storrs.

sagegrouse
11-25-2009, 07:36 PM
UConn is beating LSU convincingly, but the 26-18 margin doesn't reflect the one-sided contest.

sagegrouse
'Home alone watching hoops and preparing Thanksgiving dishes for tomorrow at my daughter's house. Mrs. Sage Grouse has decamped to Chicago to cover another grandchild base. Best dish so far is the stuffed mushrooms.'

riverside6
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
for those interested in tempo-based stats you can find them for lsu-uconn here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=4399

All about the UCONN rebounding and defense thus far.

uh_no
11-25-2009, 07:52 PM

maybe i haven't been around this board long enough, but I've lived in connecticut long enough to know that the university of connecticut is in storrs....

and as much as I'm torn, when uconn and duke are not playing eachother, i cheer for them.....when they do play eachother......no comment....but I'll be there

juise
11-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, if this was the NCAA-T, I know which team I would want Duke to play. However, if it was NCAA-T time, I'm not convinced that LSU would be involved (though they do have some athletic kids and a solid coach).

roywhite
11-25-2009, 08:23 PM
maybe i haven't been around this board long enough, but I've lived in connecticut long enough to know that the university of connecticut is in storrs....

and as much as I'm torn, when uconn and duke are not playing eachother, i cheer for them.....when they do play eachother......no comment....but I'll be there

I think that was a reference to Yale, although the poster didn't highlight "the" with capital letters or italics.

Look forward to a Duke-UConn matchup.

dukieinhebron
11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Who do you believe is more athletic Gerald Henderson or Stanley Robinson?

Bob Green
11-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I think that was a reference to Yale....

Thanks! The Yale reference sailed right over my head and left me thinking....huh?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Gerald Henderson

roywhite
11-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Henderson may get a slight nod, but Robinson is 6'9"...looks tough tonight. He'll be a handful.

77devil
11-25-2009, 08:44 PM
UConn is beating LSU convincingly, but the 26-18 margin doesn't reflect the one-sided contest.

sagegrouse
'Home alone watching hoops and preparing Thanksgiving dishes for tomorrow at my daughter's house. Mrs. Sage Grouse has decamped to Chicago to cover another grandchild base. Best dish so far is the stuffed mushrooms.'

Indeed. UConn simply bigger and quicker. LSU has no answer for Edwards and Walker?(15). Looks like you'll be listening to Dickie V in game 2 instead of the General.

Spam Filter
11-25-2009, 08:44 PM
UConn looks *really* good.

They look better tonight than any other team I've seen play so far this year. That's not to say they are the best team, just that they are playing at a very high level tonight.

How we do against them (should we beat ASU) will be very telling. If we can beat them than I think Duke is for real.

YourLandlord
11-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I was at the 2004 Final Four loss to UCon(n). It was heartbreaking. Their fans were horribly rude the whole time we were in San Antonio.

I was at the 2006 Sweet Sixteen loss to LSU. I'm a Celtics fan and hate Glen Davis. Screw LSU.

I too was at that game and the lasting image I have engrained in my mind was seeing CDU's brother outside balling. I went up to him and gave him a hug and told him to tell Chris we were blessed to have had him for four years.

That has been the only Duke game I have been to until I attend the Duke-UNC game at Cameron this year (just bought tickets the other day). I am looking forward to seeing Duke get to .500 with me in attendance.

Wow, brutal.

BD80
11-25-2009, 09:15 PM

But "The reformatory of Connecticut" is in Storrs.

Indoor66
11-25-2009, 09:21 PM
But "The reformatory of Connecticut" is in Storrs.

And THE University of North Carolina is in Durham.

uh_no
11-26-2009, 01:45 AM

robinson

JaMarcus Russell
11-26-2009, 01:58 AM
UConn looks *really* good.

They look better tonight than any other team I've seen play so far this year. That's not to say they are the best team, just that they are playing at a very high level tonight.

How we do against them (should we beat ASU) will be very telling. If we can beat them than I think Duke is for real.

I watched UConn in some of their earlier games, and I wasn't impressed. They were struggling against teams like Hofstra and Colgate. They looked much better tonight against LSU, but unfortunately the Tigers are a very poor team this year. They lost 5 players from their 7-man rotation, and their best newcomer will sitting out the season much like Seth Curry (as a Duke and LSU fan, it's killing me that Malcolm White and Seth both have to sit out this year, while coaches can move around at will).

At the end of the day, UConn is a team with a 6-man rotation, at least until the second semester when Ater Majok is eligible. I think it will be a close game, but I like our chances.

flyingdutchdevil
11-26-2009, 04:55 AM
I watched UConn in some of their earlier games, and I wasn't impressed. They were struggling against teams like Hofstra and Colgate. They looked much better tonight against LSU, but unfortunately the Tigers are a very poor team this year. They lost 5 players from their 7-man rotation, and their best newcomer will sitting out the season much like Seth Curry (as a Duke and LSU fan, it's killing me that Malcolm White and Seth both have to sit out this year, while coaches can move around at will).

At the end of the day, UConn is a team with a 6-man rotation, at least until the second semester when Ater Majok is eligible. I think it will be a close game, but I like our chances.

The good news is that UConn doesn't have an inside game. Their best post player, Gavin [Something], had a pretty good game but he hasn't played much in the past. Also, their starting 4 and 5 aren't very good at all and don't log a lot of minutes. It's their 1, 2, 3 that are down-right scary - Walker, Dyson, and Robinson. I don't think there is a more athletic backcourt in the country. Also, they can all shoot the 3. This game will be won in the backcourt, as both frontcourts have been fairly inept (lets hope Mason changes this!) This is also a game for Lance Thomas to show his defensive versatility - someone will need to guard Robinson well without fouling. I hope Lance is up to it.

I think we will rebound huge for this game. I'm not as worried now as I've reflected on the game yesterday.