PDA

View Full Version : FB: Wake Forest 45, Duke 34 (Thad passes 10K yds)

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Last game of the season, last game in a Duke uniform for an amazing group of seniors. I'ts Duke chance to end at .500 across the board, it's Duke's latest chance to beat Wake..a team that has broken our hearts more times in recent memory than I care to think about.
Cutcliffe last year said "A team is defined by what they do in November". Last year, we lost four times. This year, so far, we have lost 3. This is what makes it more of an important game to me than the first stats I mentioned. If we don't beat Wake, I won't see it as a failure by any means, but I won't see it as enough improvement either. I would have laughed at myself if I had said that after the first 3 games this year, but we went on to show we are a team that can play football well. We need to show that one more time now for me to consider this season a true success. I know we can do it, I feel we will. Fill Wade up and thank the seniors for sticking with the program, and thank the rest of the team for showing us that better days are ahead. GO DUKE!!

CameronBlue
11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Last game of the season, last game in a Duke uniform for an amazing group of seniors. I'ts Duke chance to end at .500 across the board, it's Duke's latest chance to beat Wake..a team that has broken our hearts more times in recent memory than I care to think about.
Cutcliffe last year said "A team is defined by what they do in November". Last year, we lost four times. This year, so far, we have lost 3. This is what makes it more of an important game to me than the first stats I mentioned. If we don't beat Wake, I won't see it as a failure by any means, but I won't see it as enough improvement either. I would have laughed at myself if I had said that after the first 3 games this year, but we went on to show we are a team that can play football well. We need to show that one more time now for me to consider this season a true success. I know we can do it, I feel we will. Fill Wade up and thank the seniors for sticking with the program, and thank the rest of the team for showing us that better days are ahead. GO DUKE!!

I think even more impressive tha being .500 on the season is to be .500 in the ACC given Duke's recent history. Let me chime in with those who say that the Seniors deserve a few keisters in the bleachers. Anything less than 25K is miserly and insulting.

dukestheheat
11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME.

And, .500 IS a winning season for this team! That is the way we are all going to look at it when it happens. Count it.

Come on football, BEAT WAKE FOREST!

dukestheheat.

Bob Green
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Thad Lewis has broken a number of Duke career records this year: total yards passing, total offense, touchdown passes, pass attempts, and pass completions. He is also tied for first place, with Anthony Dilweg, for number of career 300 yards passing games at 10. First and foremost, I'll be cheering for a Duke victory on Saturday with my second wish being for Lewis to pass for more than 300 yards for the 11th time in his career.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Tickets are priced at $15 this week. The price returns to $40 on gameday.

http://ev6.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AIBM%3AF09%3A312%3A&linkID=duke&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

RelativeWays
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
1. Don't turn the ball over

2. Take out Riley Skinner (I don't mean try to injure, but the D needs to put him on his back EVERY opportunity)

3.Use our short and medium pass game to overwhelm the WF d.

Wake is a good team that has lost a lot of close games. They can beat Duke. Duke has more offensive weapons, and teams that have a really good offense have blasted Wake. Neither team has anything to lose though a 6-6 record would be huge for Duke. They need to throw everything out there and do their best to destroy WF and everything it stands for. Duke can beat WF like they beat State, I truly believe this.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm bringing my kids to their first Duke game (wifey came with me to the last bowl game many eons ago).

I'm proud of our team. The fact that we expected to win one of the last three is a sign of how far we've come.

RIP EM' UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!!!!

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm bringing my kids to their first Duke game (wifey came with me to the last bowl game many eons ago).

I'm proud of our team. The fact that we expected to win one of the last three is a sign of how far we've come.

RIP EM' UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!!!!
I encourage you and everyone else showing up to come to the Devil's Walk and cheer the team as they head to the locker room before the game. It's a great event to see and a great chance to personally show your support before you get buried in the faceless stands. Also, the Brunchgaters will be hard at it for the last time this season, so make sure to stop by and say hi as well.

6th Man
11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I will be there Saturday. Even though I have made all of the home games and a few away...I have only been to one previous Devil's Walk. I plan on making it to this one. I would love to see Duke not only win, but win big.

coachbob
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
What time do they start the Devil's Walk for a noon game? We tailgate on the other side of WW so I've not been to one. I would like to make it this Sat.

Battierfan01
11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Tickets are priced at $15 this week. The price returns to $40 on gameday.

http://ev6.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AIBM%3AF09%3A312%3A&linkID=duke&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

This is an awesome deal. I hope that it will encourage a lot of people to come to the game on Saturday. I really hope that Wallace Wade is packed out on Saturday to honor such a great Senior class and send them out with a win!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2009, 02:37 PM
What time do they start the Devil's Walk for a noon game? We tailgate on the other side of WW so I've not been to one. I would like to make it this Sat.

Plan on being in place before 9:45A along the sidewalk of the Card Gym Lot or along the walkway between Card and Cameron.

watzone
11-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Here's a game day preview - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/bdns-wake-forest-at-duke-football-preview/

camion
11-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Duke-Wake is being televised by RayCom. I'm watching it Greenville, SC and Duke just went up 14-7.

camion
11-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I didn't see this scheduled, but here in SC I was flipping channels and found it just in time to see Duke go up 14-7.

cspan37421
11-28-2009, 02:44 PM
we've got the game here in 37421 and it's not looking pretty for our boys. The defense has given up 35 before the end of the 3rd; let's just say that there are a few missing pieces to our puzzle, and that no top recruit is going to sit and wait their turn.

Wake is the better team thus far today, though they've had some help from the zebras. I've seen 2 OBVIOUS pass interference situations go uncalled on them, and I'm sure that's just going to embolden them to keep riding our guys' backs. Announcers even said only 2 flags total all day. We must have gotten some officials fresh off the Florida or Alabama circuit. But I'm not saying we'd win if not for the zebras. It's not that close.

CMARTZ
11-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Thad just put together a great offensive set!

DukeCO2009
11-28-2009, 04:08 PM
A couple plays killed it for us, namely the roughing the kicker the call and our failure to go for it on 4th and 5 in Wake territory in the first half.

Nevertheless, progress is progress. Next year we'll be a bowl team. Mark it down.

Anyway, on to the important stuff. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Thad, Leon, Vince, Vinnie, et al. Thad in particular has meant more to this program than any one player in recent memory. I can't say enough about his contribution to the team over these past four years. He'll be greatly missed, to say the least.

Can't wait to see Vernon and Varner catching bombs from Renfree/Schroeder next year. With a little improvement on defense, we'll be hard to handle. We WILL make a bowl. GO DUKE!

chi
11-28-2009, 04:27 PM
by Al Featherston (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204840448)

Greg_Newton
11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
A couple plays killed it for us, namely the roughing the kicker the call and our failure to go for it on 4th and 5 in Wake territory in the first half.

Agreed... that roughing the kicker call and the ensuing TD drive really sucked the wind out of the stadium. I don't know how he missed the ball... if he gets a hand on it or just pulls up early, it's a whole different game. I wouldn't say not going for it on 4th and 5 killed us though... reminds me of this http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/sound_strategy_booed

There was another HUGE play in the third when we were down 28-17, and they ran a screen play at midfield... Skinner rolled right, then turned and threw a screen pass back across the field. The ball appeared to literally go through our defender's hands (who would have had an easy pick-6), and was completed for a big gain that kept their TD drive going. A lot of tough breaks for us today, we needed a big TO or something to get the momentum back.

Curious what the attendance was... it was the first game I've been able to go to since Thanksgiving '08, but it seemed like a slightly bigger crowd than I remembered from the past few years. Was it still a drop off from previous games this year?

Lastly, I think our fans need to take a trip to an SEC game for a lesson on atmosphere.:D It was startlingly quiet at points during this game... I looked back at the crowd a few times and most people weren't even clapping after moderately good plays for Duke (i.e. 7 yard gains). I yelled myself hoarse out of guilt, more than anything else... it must be demoralizing for Duke to go somewhere like VT or Clemson where the 60,000+ crowd is just a force.

NYC Duke Fan
11-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Nevertheless, progress is progress. Next year we'll be a bowl team. Mark it down.
Anyway, on to the important stuff. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Thad, Leon, Vince, Vinnie, et al. Thad in particular has meant more to this program than any one player in recent memory. I can't say enough about his contribution to the team over these past four years. He'll be greatly missed, to say the least.

Can't wait to see Vernon and Varner catching bombs from Renfree/Schroeder next year. With a little improvement on defense, we'll be hard to handle. We WILL make a bowl. GO DUKE!

Hopefully you are correct, and yes progress is progress. That said, Duke lost its last 4 games of the season, after winning 3 straight and 2 of which, ( UNC and Wake ), were games that Duke could have or should have won, so yes the glass is half full, but not 50% full.

hudlow
11-28-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm really looking forward to next season...

It's been a long time since I've been able to say that about Duke football.

hud

Duvall
11-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Hopefully you are correct, and yes progress is progress. That said, Duke lost its last 4 games of the season, after winning 3 straight and 2 of which, ( UNC and Wake ), were games that Duke could have or should have won, so yes the glass is half full, but not 50% full.

Oh, good - now we get to do this for football as well. Fun.

VaDukie
11-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Thank you to all our seniors this year. They've left Duke football in an immeasurably better place than where they found it.

throatybeard
11-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Agreed... that roughing the kicker call and the ensuing TD drive really sucked the wind out of the stadium. I don't know how he missed the ball... if he gets a hand on it or just pulls up early, it's a whole different game. I wouldn't say not going for it on 4th and 5 killed us though... reminds me of this http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/sound_strategy_booed

There was another HUGE play in the third when we were down 28-17, and they ran a screen play at midfield... Skinner rolled right, then turned and threw a screen pass back across the field. The ball appeared to literally go through our defender's hands (who would have had an easy pick-6), and was completed for a big gain that kept their TD drive going. A lot of tough breaks for us today, we needed a big TO or something to get the momentum back.

Curious what the attendance was... it was the first game I've been able to go to since Thanksgiving '08, but it seemed like a slightly bigger crowd than I remembered from the past few years. Was it still a drop off from previous games this year?

Lastly, I think our fans need to take a trip to an SEC game for a lesson on atmosphere.:D It was startlingly quiet at points during this game... I looked back at the crowd a few times and most people weren't even clapping after moderately good plays for Duke (i.e. 7 yard gains). I yelled myself hoarse out of guilt, more than anything else... it must be demoralizing for Duke to go somewhere like VT or Clemson where the 60,000+ crowd is just a force.

21,420 announced, which usually means there were something like 18K human beings there.

I agree that a field trip to an SEC game would be an edjumacation.

Interesting that in our worst decade record-wise, Duke saw its all time leading rusher and passer.

DUAA_shirt
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM

That's what happens to a program when the last winning seasons were in 1989 and 1994. For a fanbase, that was centuries ago. Part of Cutcliffe's challenge is rebuilding the majority of the fanbase that has "given up" on the football program. When I went to the Ga Tech game in 2007, I don't think the students even bothered to show up that day. Still, it's going to take time. A stat on TV showed Duke had the fewest starting seniors this year in Div. 1. Cutcliffe has a lot to build on and I congratulate him on a heck of a job he's done thus far.

DU82
11-28-2009, 11:14 PM
21,420 announced, which usually means there were something like 18K human beings there.

I agree that a field trip to an SEC game would be an edjumacation.

Interesting that in our worst decade record-wise, Duke saw its all time leading rusher and passer.

Remember that there's now 12 games in a season, instead of 11 (or less.)

verga
11-29-2009, 12:21 AM
the one play that stuck out for me, was the one late in the game. Duke was driving and Lewis threw a pass and the Wake defender intercepted/stole the ball from our receiver. He put on a burst of speed and we couldn't catch him. Speed, every team we have played has it, as of yet we don't.
Now i know some are going to say, oh yeah, we have speed but we don't have the speed that Wake safety had or his size. In the Georgia Tech game, Tech must of had 10/12 guys with that package size/speed. Cutcliffe has made it known thats what he's after, i hope he finds it but it seems when we find it, we can't keep it.
The 2 examples of that are the Lipford kid who changed his mind this week and is now going to unc and the other is the kid (a 4 star recruit) who chose instead to go to UCLA, after committing to Duke. i believe the kid was from northern Virginia. I'm happy with the progress the players have made and i hope in the future we can get some of these speedy guys that kill us in big games.