PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Arizona State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

77devil
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Let's move on from the CIS and Jon Scheyer point guard debates and get ready for a couple of big games at the Garden. The ASU game brings the obvious interest of playing against former Duke player Eric Boateng and NCS coach Herb Sendek. If all goes according to plan, Duke will play U. Conn. on Friday.

ASU is pretty deep with 10 players getting significant minutes and 5 players in double figures. Predicted to be in the bottom half of the PAC 10, ASU appears to be better than this despite weak early competition. Through 4 games ASU is 19 and 59 in offensive and defensive efficiency respectively, according to Pomeroy, while Duke is 10 and 44. Looks like this game could be more interesting than we might have thought earlier. I haven't see the Sun Devils play this year. Perhaps someone else has and can comment.

Hope to see some of you in the Big Apple.

Kedsy
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Let's move on from the CIS and Jon Scheyer point guard debates and get ready for a couple of big games at the Garden. The ASU game brings the obvious interest of playing against former Duke player Eric Boateng and NCS coach Herb Sendek. If all goes according to plan, Duke will play U. Conn. on Friday.

ASU is pretty deep with 10 players getting significant minutes and 5 players in double figures. Predicted to be in the bottom half of the PAC 10, ASU appears to be better than this despite weak early competition.

Hope to see some of you in the Big Apple.

I will be at the games. We're the 2nd game, right?

Indoor66
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM

9:30 Wednesday tipoff - enjoy the game. I will watch on ESPN. :D

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I view this game as our first "real" game. ASU isn't a great team (predicted bottom half of a weak BSC conference isn't that great), but they are well-coached and have played extremely well of late (against pretty bad competition). I am really looking forward to the following:

1) Scheyer's distribution of the ball. Turnovers or no turnovers, it's more important to get teammates the ball.
2) How our big men, especially Miles, defends in the post. Radford got a lot of points against our guys inside, so let's see how ASU does. Boateng is not as talented as that enormous Eastern European player.
3) How our freshman play. Andre and Kelly had great games - let's see if they can carry that momentum to this game.
4) Singler's play. As the first "real" game, I want to see Singler have a great, all-round, stat-stuffing game.
5) My boy Nolan. I have a feeling that Nolan is gonna have a good night.

oldnavy
11-23-2009, 12:16 PM

:p Dang, Big Apple, Thanksgiving, and Duke BBall in the Garden... I am JEALOUS!!!

Enjoy!!

MChambers
11-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I assume that Arizona State and Herb Sendek are still running the Princeton offense (although I can't really see Eric Boateng as a key cog in the Princeton offense). I remember some games against North Carolina State where it was pretty effective against Duke's extended pressure defense. (I also remember at least one Georgetown game where it was pretty effective.)

I'll be interested to see how it works against Duke's new "compact pressure" defense or, more accurately, how effective Duke's pressure is. I hope that with more athletic bigs we do a better job of handling back door cuts.

Newton_14
11-23-2009, 12:24 PM
ASU had a game over the weekend that went almost identical to the Duke/Radford game.

ASU hit 18 of 32 Three's with one kid hitting 7.

They scored 104 points and had 29 assists on 38 FG's. Unreal how closely that mirrored the Duke game...

94duke
11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I assume that Arizona State and Herb Sendek are still running the Princeton offense (although I can't really see Eric Boateng as a key cog in the Princeton offense). I remember some games against North Carolina State where it was pretty effective against Duke's extended pressure defense. (I also remember at least one Georgetown game where it was pretty effective.)

I'll be interested to see how it works against Duke's new "compact pressure" defense or, more accurately, how effective Duke's pressure is. I hope that with more athletic bigs we do a better job of handling back door cuts.

I don't think he is still using the princeton offense (old article from last year):
http://www.echofromthebuttes.com/2008/12/30/missed-herb-sendeks-first-two-seasons-heres-the-cliffsnotes/
Can anyone confirm this?

devilboomer
11-23-2009, 12:54 PM
ASU had a game over the weekend that went almost identical to the Duke/Radford game.

ASU hit 18 of 32 Three's with one kid hitting 7.

They scored 104 points and had 29 assists on 38 FG's. Unreal how closely that mirrored the Duke game...

Would love to see both teams catch fire again, with Duke winning this one 138-135 on an Andre Dawkins fadeaway 3 for his 38th point of the game.

Either that, or Duke winning by 1 on a Brian Zoubek dunk over Boateng. I'm not resentful at the guy by any means, but it would just be such poetic irony.

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Would love to see both teams catch fire again, with Duke winning this one 138-135 on an Andre Dawkins fadeaway 3 for his 38th point of the game.

Either that, or Duke winning by 1 on a Brian Zoubek dunk over Boateng. I'm not resentful at the guy by any means, but it would just be such poetic irony.

That scenario would give me a heart attack. Giving up 135 to a team live ASU is not a good thing, even if we win the game. I'd like to see 104-67 again - that would put a smile on my face.

By I'll settle with a win by a sizable margin :)

geraldsneighbor
11-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I will be in attendance for the game Wednesday evening. Let's Go Duke... Hope to see you all there.

watzone
11-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Miles Plumlee comments going into New York - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/bdn-fast-break-miles-plumlees-post-game-comments/

Battierfan01
11-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I will be in attendance for the game Wednesday evening. Let's Go Duke... Hope to see you all there.

I hope you have a great time!! Sounds like the Garden will once again be packed with plenty of Duke fans. Let's Go DUKE!!! :)

jv001
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM

It seems Coach K is not extending the pressure defense as in the past. That alone should limit the back door cuts. However if we fall prey for the steal and take our eye off man and ball(cheat) we could see some back doors cuts. I look for another good game offensively and defensively from our guys.
Go Duke!

shoutingncu
11-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I hope you have a great time!! Sounds like the Garden will once again be packed with plenty of Duke fans. Let's Go DUKE!!! :)

And at least two in the baby blue... I'll try not to root too hard for Herb.

juise
11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't think he is still using the princeton offense (old article from last year):
http://www.echofromthebuttes.com/2008/12/30/missed-herb-sendeks-first-two-seasons-heres-the-cliffsnotes/
Can anyone confirm this?

Most of the 2009-2010 ASU season previews I've read mention that Sendek's employs a "deliberate" or "methodical" offense. I am guessing he's tweaked it a bit since he was at State, but that it will look fairly familiar to Duke fans. The fact that the Sun Devils team scored 104 points on Saturday doesn't exactly back up my findings, though.

allpac10.com Preview (http://www.allpac10.com/pac-10-basketball-preview-arizona-state-sun-devils/)
poingguardu.com Preview (http://www.pointguardu.com/cats/showthread.php?t=49132)
Scout Preview (http://arizonastate.scout.com/2/919315.html)

Troublemaker
11-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Glasser's a solid point guard and Kuhsiks is a very good 3-pt shooter but it seems to me this should be a relatively easy victory for Duke, unless we're absolutely dead cold from outside against their zone (and even then, we'd probably just pound the offensive boards for scores.) We'll have the three best players on the court and ASU is rebuilding after the loss of Harden and Pendergraph.

MulletMan
11-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Bumpity, bump, bump!

SMO
11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Bumpity, bump, bump!

Dipsy Doo! Bump-a-roo!

I expect fewer turnovers from ASU than what we've seen, and I think Singler has a big game coming off a poor shooting performance.

whereinthehellami
11-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah losing Pendegraph and Harden are alot to replace. Duke is not a good matchup for ASU. Duke is too disciplined and has too much experience. Duke's first test outside of the confines of Cameron. Probably more of an issue for ASU than for Duke though.

I don't expect Duke to have too much of a problem with ASU. I'd like to see Duke play with a chip on their shoulder and for all the guys not named Singler, Scheyer, and Smith to continue to build on their games in MSG under the big lights.

Greg_Newton
11-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Very curious to see how R. Kelly does against his first legit competition - will he show up? I just love having another 6-10 shotblocker in there to clean things up (not to mention a great high-post passer), hopefully he continues his recent aggressive streak!

How will Andre follow up his breakout night against Radford? I think it'd be big for his confidence if he went for at least 10 tomorrow.

Will Miles show another power post move or two? It's not like he needs to learn any finesse - just pound that shoulder into the defender, jump "through" him, and SCORE the ball (don't shoot it!).

I agree that Kyle is primed to go off. He's kept a relatively low profile in our blowouts, now it's time to put on a show in MSG.

It'll be interesting to see if our length on the perimeter throws them off a little. If they're on fire from 3, we could be in for a game. Otherwise, it could be a fun one for us to watch!

moonpie23
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Very curious to see how R. Kelly does

can we please NOT call him that......? Eww...

Battierfan01
11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
can we please NOT call him that......? Eww...

I agree. We have to refer to him as Ryan Kelly, Ryan, or Kelly but not R. Kelly.

jesus_hurley
11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
What is a State fan to do?

This is an older post (8/12/2009) but relevant.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/duke-vs-sendek-a-pack-fans-nightmare

So it's extremely likely that on Nov. 25 - the day before Thanksgiving - N.C. State fans will have to choose between Mike Krzyzewski and Herb Sendek if they want a rooting interest as they prepare their holiday feasts.

Greg_Newton
11-24-2009, 08:32 PM
:rolleyes:

I agree. We have to refer to him as Ryan Kelly, Ryan, or Kelly but not R. Kelly.

What, I'm just saying that I hope Kells doesn't get "Trapped On The Bench" tomorrow...

Newton_14
11-24-2009, 08:49 PM

What, I'm just saying that I hope Kells doesn't get "Trapped On The Bench" tomorrow...

I have been wrong before but I just don't see that happening. I believe Ryan will continue to stay in the normal rotation and get his fair share of minutes. He likely will lose a few when Mason returns as will others. But I definitely thinks he plays a lot of minutes in New York this week.

And I will be very surprised if we get to ACC play and Ryan turns into someone who gets 3 or 4 minutes in the 1st half and then rides the pine the 2nd half ala Marty or Taylor King.

I just see a lot in this kid and feel he is better than some folks realize.

YourLandlord
11-24-2009, 08:57 PM

I, for one, am going to be in a pissy mood if R. Kelly doesn't get significant time in front of the tv cameras.

Bob Green
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
I just see a lot in this kid and feel he is better than some folks realize.

I had a lot of doubts before the season started about Ryan Kelly's ability to contribute. Everything I've seen so far has proven my preseason doubts were unwarranted. Kelly plays defense, rebounds, doesn't turn the ball over, and dishes out assists in addition to being able to score points. He appears to be a guy who can continue to contribute even when the level of competition improves.

Newton_14
11-24-2009, 09:28 PM
There are some new updates on BluePlanet today. They have pics up from todays practice in New Jersey. Coach Knight attended the practice and spoke to the team.

Also, one Mason Plumlee was dressed out in his practice gear which is a great sign. He still had the soft cast on but still encouraging to see him with a practice uni on.

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Practices/Practice-at-NJ-Nets-Facility/10430848_r8HXf#723137511_VHKyg

ChicagoCrazy84
11-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah losing Pendegraph and Harden are alot to replace. Duke is not a good matchup for ASU. Duke is too disciplined and has too much experience. Duke's first test outside of the confines of Cameron. Probably more of an issue for ASU than for Duke though.

I don't expect Duke to have too much of a problem with ASU. I'd like to see Duke play with a chip on their shoulder and for all the guys not named Singler, Scheyer, and Smith to continue to build on their games in MSG under the big lights.

I agree. ASU has had 4 wins against competition with already a combined 8-10 record and all at home. Going cross country to New York to take on Duke is a tough assignment, though I would hope they come out and play well and give Duke some fight. That would help us against UCONN or LSU.

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Game day! Gonna be an exciting game. First one against a BCS team. Let's do this - Duke is gonna kick some serious @ss!!!!!

whereinthehellami
11-25-2009, 08:33 AM
There are some new updates on BluePlanet today. They have pics up from todays practice in New Jersey. Coach Knight attended the practice and spoke to the team.

Also, one Mason Plumlee was dressed out in his practice gear which is a great sign. He still had the soft cast on but still encouraging to see him with a practice uni on.

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Practices/Practice-at-NJ-Nets-Facility/10430848_r8HXf#723137511_VHKyg

I'm enjoying this year's team alot. They are playing savy basketball. High IQ stuff. And the best part, is that Mason is on the way:)

airowe
11-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Duke really needs to force the action in this game and attack the basket. I don't see us putting up 100 in this game, but I think anything over 80 will be enough to get us a win.

I see Nolan really putting up a lot of points as his Showtime personality will really shine under the bright lights.

Azdukefan
11-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Duke really needs to force the action in this game and attack the basket. I don't see us putting up 100 in this game, but I think anything over 80 will be enough to get us a win.

I see Nolan really putting up a lot of points as his Showtime personality will really shine under the bright lights.

With the methodical pace that ASU likes to play at, 65-70 points could get us the win. We need to push the tempo at every opportunity. They just don't have the firepower to match what we have but if we play their style, it could be a game deep into the second half.

I know someone is going to throw stats out there, but based on the "eye test," ASU truly is not much better than a Charlotte team that we pounded. That coupled with ASU's lack of playing on the big stage I will say...........
84-61 the good guys!

Battierfan01
11-25-2009, 12:07 PM

I agree, a nationally televised game under the bright lights at MSG. I think that the stage is set for Nolan to have a HUGE game. Its time for "Showtime" to show the college basketball world that he is the real deal.

Battierfan01
Defense Minister NS FAN CLUB

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I see R.kelly having a good game. I want to see if Nolan can follow up his first two performances.

moonpie23
11-25-2009, 12:12 PM
PULEEEZE....can we just call him RK? Please?

i have issues with "R.Kelly"

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2009, 12:18 PM
i have issues with "R.Kelly"

as do 15 year old girls...

Battierfan01
11-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I see R.kelly having a good game. I want to see if Nolan can follow up his first two performances.

I hope so. I'm ready to see Kelly bust out and have a big game. I really like this kid's game and I'm ready for him to show everyone what he's got.

Indoor66
11-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I hope so. I'm ready to see Kelly bust out and have a big game. I really like this kid's game and I'm ready for him to show everyone what he's got.

I agree with you about Ryan. I thought he had a light bulb moment last game and I voted for him as MOTM for that reason. I see a bright future for him. :D

Battierfan01
11-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I agree with you about Ryan. I thought he had a light bulb moment last game and I voted for him as MOTM for that reason. I see a bright future for him. :D

Yes I also had that same thought during the Radford game. I think that he just looked a lot more "comfortable" during this game. I think that he is "getting the hang" of the college game and I think that he will have a breakout performance soon.

Double DD
11-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I know he came in needing to add some weight, but I'm not sure why the surprise that a top 15 player in his recruiting class is able to contribute regardless of some physical limitations.

airowe
11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I know he came in needing to add some weight, but I'm not sure why the surprise that a top 15 player in his recruiting class is able to contribute regardless of some physical limitations.

Speaking for myself, I doubted he would be physically ready on Defense. I never doubted his offensive skills, which were the main reason for his high ranking. I think his high basketball IQ makes up for his physical limitations on defense, and it is hard to tell just how good players will be on D until they play against D1 college players. This really remains to be seen, but a lot of it could be cleared up tonight...

Greg_Newton
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM

He honestly looks very different now than he did before the season. Maybe it's just because most of us really only saw him in summer league games and/or all-star games, but he seems to be the type of player that thrives when given a lot of coaching and direction (rather than just freestyling in a loose, pickup-style game). He just to be playing with more purpose these days.

The main difference, IMO, is how aggressive he is off the ball. While his on-ball defense looks better, the biggest change I've noticed is how he's started to crash the boards, challenge interior shots from the weak side, and generally just insert himself into plays that he would previously have timidly stood by and watched. He's smart and skilled enough with the basketball that if he can prove to be that kind of stat-stuffing all around presence against solid competetion, it makes him infinitely more valuable.

airowe
11-25-2009, 04:05 PM
He honestly looks very different now than he did before the season. Maybe it's just because most of us really only saw him in summer league games and/or all-star games, but he seems to be the type of player that thrives when given a lot of coaching and direction (rather than just freestyling in a loose, pickup-style game). He just to be playing with more purpose these days.

The main difference, IMO, is how aggressive he is off the ball. While his on-ball defense looks better, the biggest change I've noticed is how he's started to crash the boards, challenge interior shots from the weak side, and generally just insert himself into plays that he would previously have timidly stood by and watched. He's smart and skilled enough with the basketball that if he can prove to be that kind of stat-stuffing all around presence against solid competetion, it makes him infinitely more valuable.

It may have had something to do with his illness over the Summer too. In seeing Ryan at the Pro-Am, he definitely looked squeamish and apprehensive. Now, that could have been the quality of player he was going against. I think we'll find out more about Ryan's game over the weekend...

05/18/2005
11-25-2009, 05:09 PM

I definitly dont want to get off topic( there are multiple threads for this one) but John Henson on unc was a top player and look how much he is doing. Just saying.

superdave
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I got two lower level tickets to the game tonight at the MSG box office for $45 each. So if you are in the area or will be on Friday, go support the Blue Devils!

airowe
11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
kyrieirving Me and my boy @blank908 bought some tickets for the duke game at the garden...let's go duke..H&H about 1 hour ago

Double DD
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I definitly dont want to get off topic( there are multiple threads for this one) but John Henson on unc was a top player and look how much he is doing. Just saying.

I thought of him when I wrote my post, but I think that's more a statement on Henson and the accuracy of the assessment of his ability to adjust to a better level of play. I think he's a bit of an outlier.

chi
11-25-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the link Boozer. I am touch by coach Knight's presence at the practice ...

phaedrus
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM

Man, I hope the team wasn't overly inspired by the "NJ Nets Building Blocks to 0-14".

77devil
11-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Royal blues are substantially outnumbered by the ex Conns. Hope more Dukies show up for game 2.

roywhite
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Coach Knight has some very nice words for the Blue Devils during his broadcast of the UConn game. He really likes Scheyer and Singler, calls them two of the smartest players in the country.

77devil
11-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Coach Knight has some very nice words for the Blue Devils during his broadcast of the UConn game. He really likes Scheyer and Singler, calls them two of the smartest players in the country.

I think you folks at home are getting Dickie V for game 2.

Indoor66
11-25-2009, 09:02 PM

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :mad:

YourLandlord
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Awesome baby!

riverside6
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
you can follow the live tempo-based stats here for those interested...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3641

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Did Jon just commit a turnover?

YourLandlord
11-25-2009, 09:44 PM
SWEET TURNOVER JON.

stepping out of bounds? really? lame.

Cameron
11-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Well that's that, I guess.

05/18/2005
11-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Scheyer just stepped out of bounds. First TO i believe that he has.

concrete
11-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Plumlee looks stiff playing D...he's trying to play for the block when he should be ensuring the guards don't get easy points by playing good positional defense.

loran16
11-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Defense has been pretty terrible, with the same problem as usual....WE DONT EXPLOIT OUR SIZE.

IF we play man, at least one big guy is getting forced outside leaving to easy baskets. Moreover, WE CANT SEEM TO BOX OUT.

It's amazing, we play man, we can't board. So would zone be much worse? Would seem stronger imo vs this team which is exploiting the man by forcing our big men outside.

(oh and if Lance is on the PG EVER AGAIN, i'm shooting someone. He's not THAT versatile, even if you think he is a versatile defender)

Oriole Way
11-25-2009, 10:01 PM
PLEASE get Zoubek off the floor.

ice-9
11-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Scheyer looking like an MVP so far...driving and dishing, shooting, solid defense...

But I wish we would throw a zone or two.

Bluedevil114
11-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Zoubek looks lost out there. He looks like a Freshman. No confidence.

ice-9
11-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Zoubek playing great D and then getting the offensive rebound + basket!

YourLandlord
11-25-2009, 10:05 PM
ha, the above 3 posts are fun.

Bluedevil114
11-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Great Defense Zoubek. Nice drive Nolan.

Bluedevil114
11-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Jon for showing up tonight!! Wake up Kyle in the locker room and come out and smoke these guys the second half.

91devil
11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
"Alarmingly unathletic at some spots on the court" - Doug Gottlieb

Regrettably, I think he is correct. I'd like to see some more zone.

roywhite
11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks Jon for showing up tonight!! Wake up Kyle in the locker room and come out and smoke these guys the second half.

Should have been "and one" on that last shot of the first half.

Come on, guys, get going.

Dukeface88
11-25-2009, 10:18 PM
If the 3s start falling we'll pull away. 22% isn't gonna cut it. Neither is 4 points from Singler.

BlueintheFace
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
4 words.. GET TO THE LINE

(God, I hate junk defenses)

Rudy
11-25-2009, 10:21 PM
The offense looks static and unorganized. ASU can't be that good defensively, can they?

Singler shouldn't even have 4. Two foul shots were a gift when he had his shot blocked.

Ten turnovers for the half isn't good either.

riverside6
11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Tempo-Based Live Stats here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3641

A few highlights from there...

Duke turning the ball over on 28% of their possessions.
ASU winning the FT Rate battle 34-25.
Dawkins leading the way in +/- at +13

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Why are we not playing a zone?

arnie
11-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Yea, that sums it up against good competition. I think we win tonight, but UCONN is a different story. We need Mason badly, the experienced "bigs" just don't have it.

BlueintheFace
11-25-2009, 10:25 PM
At the half, I actually feel comfortable saying that Herb is out-coaching K right now. We are not taking what they are giving to us. I have faith that the second half will be different.

However, for defensive purposes, going small has made a difference.

slower
11-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Man, I really feel for the kid. That's at least 4 traveling calls against him. I hate to see such a nice guy have such a demoralizing time out there on the court.

slower
11-25-2009, 10:26 PM

the Ucons must be licking their chops.

trey
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm blaming the team's subpar performance on the "Gottlieb Curse". Thanks for picking us Doug ;) Oh, and now we're "alarmingly unathletic".

77devil
11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
It's hard to appreciate, at least for me, how poor Z's footwork still is until you see him live. Very much still a work in progress. And I wish I could put a leash on him and yank it every time. He chases someone to the top of the key and gives up the help defense down low.

The boys need to pick it up big time in the 2nd half, especially Kyle.

moonpie23
11-25-2009, 10:29 PM
i don't like that gotleeb fellow...

roywhite
11-25-2009, 10:30 PM
At the half, I actually feel comfortable saying that Herb is out-coaching K right now. We are not taking what they are giving to us. I have faith that the second half will be different.

However, for defensive purposes, going small has made a difference.

I don't know how often AZ State was able to isolate one of their perimeter people against Zoubs or Plumlee 10-15 feet from the basket and go right around him. We're missing switches sometimes and just too slow other times.

Come on, Kyle, get it going.

Wildling
11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Herb exposed a weakness in our switching. As soon as Dukes big guy switches off to cover their guard, the ballhandler penetrates and drives past him to either get a layup or more to the point dishing to their big guy for an easy bucket and our guard in a help situation. Duke needs better rotation and better boxing out.

I'm sure K will make the adjustments.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-25-2009, 10:32 PM
That was the worst defensive half i've seen from a Duke team in a long time.

This is my first good look at this team, and the inside play on both ends of the floor is not very impressive. Plumblee and Kelly look to need much more seasoning and Zoubek and Thomas look like....Zoubek and Thomas.

Scheyer looks good as usual, Singler too, but is forcing things a little so far tonight. Smith looks much more confident than last year and looks good.

Dawkins looks to have some real talent and fairly comfortable on the floor for a freshman.

Duke wings should be able to control this game in the second half, but issues are coming from Dukes inside game, or lack of it.

Oh, and the dorky black socks fit the Duke image ;)

ChicagoCrazy84
11-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Good start to the 2nd half, nice block and nice take by Nolan!

I hope to see much less of Lance Thomas, the guy has little value to the team.

dukestheheat
11-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Nolan didn't get off of the team bus to play that first half. He got a few buckets, but emotionally, he just wasn't 'in' and right now, I'm not impressed with our energy level (or, level of commitment, it seems like).

Also, we have got to spend more time on our help defense. I counted seven times in that first half that we didn't help out.

I suspect we'll get it going this second half.

dth.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-25-2009, 10:42 PM
It's going to be hard for me to pick a man of the match this game.

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2009, 10:43 PM
It's going to be hard for me to pick a man of the match this game.

easy. scheyer or nolan so far

Bluedevil114
11-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Kyle is really forcing his game and he is getting frustrated. He needs to let the game come to him and relax.

Nolan needs to continue to go at the rim and when there needs to kick it to Jon and Andre for open looks.

Our bigs are getting too many fouls because their footwork on defense is terrible. Too slow.

COME ON DUKE

BlueintheFace
11-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Pick n' Roll Killing Duke.... K needs to go small for the rest of the game and see if they can hurt us inside. I am really questioning some of K's decisions (which I honestly never do)

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I get this feeling that no one really cares about this game. Only one or two players is actually playing hard.

Oriole Way
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Our bigs have to stop switching off on screens near the top of the 3-pt line. This is a coaching flaw that needs to be corrected.

I don't think that matching up with ASU's big men is the way to go. We're adjusting too much to their team and style of play, when they should be adjusting to us, and when Duke should be dictating the tempo.

I would like to see Duke go a little smaller when Miles is not in the game. We're switching too liberally and their guards and forwards are exploiting the mismatches.

91devil
11-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Arizona State isn't even that good. No energy in the building, either.

Poincaré
11-25-2009, 10:54 PM
By all accounts, ASU is a fringe top 25 team AT BEST... Our inside players are not giving us any offensive production and Kyle is being smothered as a result? Mason better be crazy awesome, or we might be in for a long year.

Rudy
11-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Espn's online box score has Seth Curry 1/1 from the floor.:)

fgb
11-25-2009, 10:58 PM
a mistake, obviously, but check out the espn box score at this moment...

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=293290150

Wildling
11-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Looks like K made the adjustments at half. Our bigs are showing switch but getting back to the lane and avoiding the mismatch.

I also think A.S is playing out of their minds. Surely they are going to run out of the high energy play.

Oriole Way
11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
At this point I hope Zoubek fouls out so that K doesn't have the option of playing him.

Miles Plumlee and Mason Plumlee are our only hope in the post.

LOVED that awesome block Miles just had.

Boston Dukie
11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I was very excited about this team based on what I had heard from others, but tonight was the first time I have seen them play.

Unfortunately, unless Mason Plumlee is the 2nd coming of Greg Oden, this is not going to be a very strong Duke team. Losing Henderson and Williams (and not getting Wall) really hurts.

Outside of Nolan Smith, they lack quickness and athleticism and guys like Zoubek (I just don't think Duke can afford to play him at the detriment of developing either of the Plumlee brothers) and Ryan Kelly are very, very unathletic. Andrew Dawkins is a bright spot, he has a great stroke and looks like he is going to be a very good player, but again he is not very ahtletic and doesn't seem like the type of player who can create his own shot. Maybe that will develop? Tough given he is not that quick and not a great leaper.

It just seems like elite, athletic players no longer come to Duke with any consistency. I don't think it's not for a lack of trying, but for some reason they choose other programs.

Getting Harrison Barnes would have been huge. I just hope they get Roscoe Smith and he and the rest of the class are able to raise the athletic ability of the program up to the level of the other elite programs. Hopefully that will allow Duke to make a deep run the in the NCAA tourney.

Oriole Way
11-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I was very excited about this team based on what I had heard from others, but tonight was the first time I have seen them play.

Unfortunately, unless Mason Plumlee is the 2nd coming of Greg Oden, this is not going to be a very strong Duke team. Losing Henderson and Williams (and not getting Wall) really hurts.

Outside of Nolan Smith, they lack quickness and athleticism and guys like Zoubek (I just don't think Duke can afford to play him at the detriment of developing either of the Plumlee brothers) and Ryan Kelly are very, very unathletic. Andrew Dawkins is a bright spot, he has a great stroke and looks like he is going to be a very good player, but again he is not very ahtletic and doesn't seem like the type of player who can create his own shot. Maybe that will develop? Tough given he is not that quick and not a great leaper.

It just seems like elite, athletic players no longer come to Duke with any consistency. I don't think it's not for a lack of trying, but for some reason they choose other programs.

Getting Harrison Barnes would have been huge. I just hope they get Roscoe Smith and he and the rest of the class are able to raise the athletic ability of the program up to the level of the other elite programs. Hopefully that will allow Duke to make a deep run the in the NCAA tourney.

I just think it's more a case of shooting poorly in an arena. Singler and Smith have taken a ton of shots that they are capable of making, and will make in the near future.

There are some causes for concern. Don't like the minutes Zoubek has gotten, and I don't like the lack of minutes Dawkins has had considering he is one of the few guys playing with confidence tonight. K needs to realize that his rotation needs to rely less on Zoubek and Thomas and more on Dawkins and the Plumlees.

Boston Dukie
11-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Smith, Scheyer, Singler, MP1, MP2, and Dawkins should get the majority of the minutes. Thomas and Zoubek are going to get pushed to the end of the bench

Zoubek is scary to watch tonight

Elliot Willaims would really, really help

Oh well

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2009, 11:14 PM
with the way that duke is playing, slow-playing the last four minutes is probably a good move.

ChrisP
11-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Obviously, not his best game but...that 5th foul looked VERY suspect to me. I also thought he got hosed on the 3rd they called on him when the AU player quite obviously jumped backwards into him.

ice-9
11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
People need to give Zoubek a break. He's 7'1 for goodness sake. If he was as quick as Nolan he'd be a #1 draft pick.

Anyway it looks like Coach K made some adjustments and we're playing better in the 2nd half.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Based on what I am seeing tonight, we have no chance against UCONN.

We obviously need to shoot the ball better to have any chance, but I think having Mason out really hurts--it just didn't show the first 4 games.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Obviously, not his best game but...that 5th foul looked VERY suspect to me. I also thought he got hosed on the 3rd they called on him when the AU player quite obviously jumped backwards into him.

Yeah, it was Glasser. That was a cop out call, he did get hosed.

ChrisP
11-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Well...there's about a minute to go but at this point, Zoubek has outscored and outrebounded Boateng. Just sayin'...

ChrisP
11-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Gotta make that layup at the end. Jeez!

Rudy
11-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Just to round out the team's weaknesses being highlighted tonight, Lance misses an open layup at the buzzer. Oh well, I'll cheer for the guys all year anyway and be happy with whatever success they can achieve.

jipops
11-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Gotta make that layup at the end. Jeez!
Scheyer woild have double digit assists if it weren't for the blown shots at the rim.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Wow, obviously not a huge deal, but Lance has to make those!! Is anyone just disgusted by the play of LT? He has no hands, STILL commits stupid fouls, can't shoot, no strength down low. It is unbelievable! Delete this post if you must for negativity, but man, Lance is extremely dissapointing.