PDA

View Full Version : UNC Hate Coming On

Pages : [1] 2

IBleedBlue
11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I was browsing through the messages in CBS Sportsline and ESPN recently after the Duke game. I am starting to see a trend that I have only seen with Duke before.
Fans from different schools are starting to hate UNC. In pretty much every thread I read, there is atleast one poster who is asking us to thrash UNC when we play them. Here is one example -

"As much as it pains me to say it, so far Duke is looking pretty impressive. Just like with UK, I'm curious to see how they do when they face some more talented teams, but so far it looks promising.

And if you don't mind, do me a favor and beat the snot out of UNC when you play 'em! :) "

moonpie23
11-22-2009, 09:26 AM
i am all about some unc hate.....I'm in... !!!!

how can i help?

for the record, i think the holios will beat Wall and UK........ continuing to be a good team during the year they're sposed to be "rebuilding" will illicit more hate....

what they need is a good ol scandal...yeah, that's it......

ETDevil4
11-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I think North Carolina will lose to Kentucky. Cal's kids from Lexington have enough talent and depth in the frontcourt such as Patterson, Cousins, Orton, etc. to match up with Thompson, Davis, Henson, and Zeller. Thus, the advantage goes to Kentucky, because John Wall is far more talented than Larry Drew and Dexter Strickland. North Carolina will lose several games this year due to poor point play.

moonpie23
11-22-2009, 09:42 AM
welcome ET.....we shall see.....:D

oldnavy
11-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I think North Carolina will lose to Kentucky. Cal's kids from Lexington have enough talent and depth in the frontcourt such as Patterson, Cousins, Orton, etc. to match up with Thompson, Davis, Henson, and Zeller. Thus, the advantage goes to Kentucky, because John Wall is far more talented than Larry Drew and Dexter Strickland. North Carolina will lose several games this year due to poor point play.

I agree. The way Valpo's guard consistently broke down the UNC guards surprised me. Wall can and will get into the lane often against UNC and when he does, game over.... UK by 12!

I am so glad to hear that the luster is wearing off UNC. I hate them and wish a plague on their house!

MarkD83
11-22-2009, 11:15 AM
or does the current advertisement on DBR with the catch phrase "Give a goat to a hungry child" make me think of this thread instead of helping the needy.

sandinmyshoes
11-22-2009, 11:50 AM
That sounds like a UK fan quoted in the original post. It's worth remembering that UK and UNC are locked in a tight battle for all time wins. I think UNC is about six or so behind now. I think that will tip their angst and fury against UNC as opposed to Duke. Especially as more and more of them are too young to have experienced "The Shot."

Another group of UNC haters are the Kansas fans. I suppose that one may start to wane if Self wins another championship for them.

Personally, I would rather we be the most despised because we are the most dominant, as was the case in the late 90s and the early 2000s. It was worth the price.

CLW
11-22-2009, 12:36 PM
The hate for UNC will continue to grow IF they continue to be successful. America loves to have a team that "everybody loves to hate". For a long time, that has been Duke. That has/is starting to fade mostly because of the "slide"/failures in recent years particularly in the tournament.

Personally, I'd rather keep the crown of most hated team as it means we are piling up the Ws and making deep runs in March.

Heelkiller1
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
To be fair ,it's fun to hate on the heels.It's about time the rest of the country caught on.lol:D

moonpie23
11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
the enemy of my enemy....

elvis14
11-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Reading the OP, I had two thoughts. First, success breeds contempt. UNC has been successful and they have mostly awful fans (irregardless of winning and losing) so they are going to build up contempt. My second thought was one I've had a lot recently....I've read this board for about 10 years now and I can not recall another time when there were so many UNC threads and posts. That's not a good thing.

GTHC (and take all your posts and threads with you unless you are losing or playing Duke or both)

Scorp4me
11-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I think this was inevitable. It's obvious Carolina is in a decline. They just can't compete like they used to. Their dynasty is over. They haven't made it to the final four since last year. Oh, I'm sorry...isn't this what you say when a team doesn't win one game? Oh wait, that's just what you say when Duke loses one...or a recruit...or doesn't win by enough points...my mistake.

Methodistman
11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
In an article I read on the WRAL website about the Bobcats/Pacers game yesterday, I found the following quote quite interesting: "Greeted by cheers and a smatter of boos from the Duke fans, Hansbrough showed he he's still working himself into the rotation following a preseason shin injury."
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bobcats/story/6475823/

My first thought when I read that statement was, "Really? Duke fans are the only ones who might boo him?" I guess State and Wake fans always really liked the guy and would never boo him.

elvis14
11-23-2009, 11:04 AM
In an article I read on the WRAL website about the Bobcats/Pacers game yesterday, I found the following quote quite interesting: "Greeted by cheers and a smatter of boos from the Duke fans, Hansbrough showed he he's still working himself into the rotation following a preseason shin injury."

My first thought when I read that statement was, "Really? Duke fans are the only ones who might boo him?" I guess State and Wake fans always really liked the guy and would never boo him.

There were some NCAA referees in attendance. They were the ones doing most of the cheering.

oldnavy
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM

Or maybe they were folks that wanted to buy an Acura but couldn't bring themselves to do it now that Wowsblah had made that criminally bad commercial.

UrinalCake
11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
So as Duke fans we often complain and find it unfair when other fans hate us for being successful. We call them whiners when they complain about the refs, and we state that they should respect us for winning the right way instead of hating us for no reason. I find it a little hypocritical that once the torch has been passed to UNC, these same fans are now doing exactly what we resent in other fans by "hating" UNC and hoping that other fans will too.

I want to beat UNC but I am not going to spew hate towards them because they win.

The Gordog
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
So as Duke fans we often complain and find it unfair when other fans hate us for being successful. We call them whiners when they complain about the refs, and we state that they should respect us for winning the right way instead of hating us for no reason. I find it a little hypocritical that once the torch has been passed to UNC, these same fans are now doing exactly what we resent in other fans by "hating" UNC and hoping that other fans will too.

I want to beat UNC but I am not going to spew hate towards them because they win.

It's not a matter of spewing, rather a "better him than me" attitude when it comes to being portrayed as the big baddies who are underachievers if they don't make the final 4.

91_92_01_10_15
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Nor will I. But, after having my complaints about Duke hate dismissed by UNC fans for the last several years, I like hearing this. Hopefully some of them, at least, may soon be able to stretch their brains to understand our predicament.

That said, I still think they are a long way from "F!@# you, JJ" chants and mainstream media reports about how they "get all the calls."

kmspeaks
11-23-2009, 07:06 PM

I think there is a distinction which needs to be made here. Duke fans get upset because many of the Duke haters have no reason for their hate. If ACC fans want to hate us because we so regularly beat their teams that's fine. If Kentucky fans want to hate us because of Christian Laetner then so be it. When Tennessee, Nebraska, ________ (insert name of school outside the ACC) want to hate us, that's when I ask why? Why put energy into watching Duke games and cheering for us to lose when you rarely play against us? Or even worse why does the media cheer for us to lose? (ex. the NCAA loss to VCU) This is the kind of hate that annoys me.

I don't think it's fair to call Duke fans hypocritical for hating on UNC. We hate them simply because they are UNC not because of their record.

shoutingncu
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Why put energy into watching Duke games and cheering for us to lose when you rarely play against us?

It doesn't take much energy to watch Duke games, which could be part of the problem that much of the country has with Duke. Granted, it's not Duke's fault you're on TV all the time, but I doubt that anyone in Utah wants to see your games against Charlotte, Gardner Webb or Iowa State.

RoyalBlue08
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
As much as I would love for the "most hated team in college basketball" title be passed over to Carolina, I'm not all that optimistic it will ever happen. Duke is the perfect storm for haters. Private school, lots of wealth and smart students, always on TV, always winning lots of games (and doing it without compromising academics to the extent that maybe some other schools do), most famous coach and stadium (I guess you can argue the stadium point). Not that all of those make sense to me personally, but that is why we are always going to be hated. People root for the underdog, not for the school it which it is perceived that the students already have everything going for them. I get it. When I was growing up, I hated ND football, for all the same reasons. (I have since given up that hatred after attending Duke and having to put up with all the haters.)

Indoor66
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Hating is exhausting. I do not have the time nor energy for hating. Strong dislike I will admit.

Kewlswim
11-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Hating is exhausting. I do not have the time nor energy for hating. Strong dislike I will admit.

I feel like all the energy is taken out of me during the Duke-UNC games. Now I know why, it is all that UNC hating I am doing. It sure feels cathartic though.

GO DUKE!

weezie
11-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Agreed, very true and appropriate. I like to keep the hole dislike turned to a slow simmer during most of the year, only to ramp it up into a white hot boil twice, possibly three and fantastically four times a year on the basketball court. And all those other head-to-head competitions, they fuel the fire, too.

dukestheheat
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
^^^

Here's the Carolina hate coming right here. I hate Carolina.

There.

dth.

moonpie23
11-23-2009, 09:14 PM

there's a big difference.... UNC brings every ounce of that upon themselves with one thing and one thing only. ARROGANCE......there have NEVER been a fan base with the ongoing arrogance of the tar holios.

they truly believe the national championship trophy is theirs at the begining of the season. they don't HOPE their team plays well enough to WIN IT....they just think it should be handed to them regardless.

UNC fans think the final four is an inherent right of just fielding the team.

arrogance on UNC's level is an art form that would make King midas blush..

they EARN every ounce of hate....be it from us, UCLA, KU, UK or anyone else

Kdogg
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
As much as I would love for the "most hated team in college basketball" title be passed over to Carolina, I'm not all that optimistic it will ever happen. Duke is the perfect storm for haters. Private school, lots of wealth and smart students, always on TV, always winning lots of games (and doing it without compromising academics to the extent that maybe some other schools do), most famous coach and stadium (I guess you can argue the stadium point). Not that all of those make sense to me personally, but that is why we are always going to be hated. People root for the underdog, not for the school it which it is perceived that the students already have everything going for them. I get it. When I was growing up, I hated ND football, for all the same reasons. (I have since given up that hatred after attending Duke and having to put up with all the haters.)

This basically sums it up. You can even reduce it to two things: we are a private school and we've had past success. How many large public universities get this much hate? Where's the public scorn for UNC or Florida or UCONN? The closest I can remember is UNLV. There are parallels in football with Notre Dame, USC and Maimi (back in the 80s).

kmspeaks
11-23-2009, 10:20 PM
It doesn't take much energy to watch Duke games, which could be part of the problem that much of the country has with Duke. Granted, it's not Duke's fault you're on TV all the time, but I doubt that anyone in Utah wants to see your games against Charlotte, Gardner Webb or Iowa State.

This is true . . . but

Anecdotal evidence I know but I have friends who watch Duke games only because they want to make sure they don't miss it if Duke gets beat. That's what I meant by putting energy into watching Duke games.

mapei
11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I for one am really happy to have another team get some of the 'most hated' vibe that has been Duke's alone for at least a decade. The fact that it's UNC is nice, too. I don't especially hate them (and even find the 'Holes' references a bit much), but they've been the better team lately and it's good to see them taken down a notch.

It's definitely happening. As some of you know, I also follow Georgetown, which has a longstanding rivalry with Syracuse. Despite that, some Hoya fans were actually rooting for the Orange because it was against UNC.

oldnavy
11-24-2009, 07:13 AM
A lot of the hate I hear from folks is directed at Coach K. I do not understand it at all, but it is out there.

The only thing I will say about Coach K, and this is in no way meant to be a criticism, is that his on screen personality seems a little reserved and perhaps a little too "corporate" for some. He doesn't yuk it up or put on that "aw shucks" routine like some coaches, and that may turn some people off that are looking for a reason to hate on him. This is extremely unfortunate, because he is one of the most generous and giving people around and despite what people think of Duke Basketball, they need to respect Coach K and what he has done for basketball and what he has done for so many charities. One of the "problems" is that he does not seek recognition for himself, and most folks do not know the extent of his charitable work, or how he has interacted on the individual level with so many.

Want an example, the ESPN magazine poll had him as both the smartest coach and the one most people would not want to play for…

airowe
11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
While I don't completely agree with this article as I think Ginyard is one of Carolina's best 3 offensive weapons, here's an article that fits in this thread quite nicely:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/6484608/

RelativeWays
11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
I could care less about UNC fans perceived arrogance. If your team is Duke, UNC, UK, KU, UCLA etc... you're going to be somewhat arrogant because for the most part, your team is better than everyone else. When you have that pedigree, you get a little leeway in promoting the greatness. DBR can be full of arrogance at times, we think Duke is better than everyone else, because often they are.

I dislike UNC fans, at least on the internet, for a few main reasons:

1. Front runner mentality: After the 'cuse game, I read posts from several UNC fans saying they were just going to take this season off since they can't compete for the NC. What? First, its November. Nobody honestly knows how good or bad this team will be come March. Second, you stick with your team through good and bad. If UNC takes it on the chin this year, you still cheer for your team as passionately as you would during a NC campaign, otherwise you don't deserve to be a fan. Its why I call them sheep fans (and it denigrates their mascot)

2. I've never encountered a fan base that so honestly believes that everyone is out to get them, their team, despite no evidence to support this belief. Sheep fans complain constantly that the refs were out to get them because beaker didn't get some foul call in a game, despite the fact that statistics show they had way more fouls called for them than against them (and Beaker broke the scoring record making more FTs than FGs). Some truly believed that when Knight did that traveling piece on ESPN last season that K put him up to it. This is just the tip of the paranoia iceberg.

3.The hypocrisy is laughable. They love to whine about how Duke flops yet completely ignoring that their star player's best defensive move is falling backwards. Duke gets all the calls, yet the recent statistics made available show that UNC has a decent lead ahead of Duke in that category. Wah, wah, "Duke" Vitale is always yapping about Coach K wah, wah. Do they go deaf when he talks about Dean Michaelangelo Smith, how great Roy Williams is and the fact that he's picked UNC to win it all 4 out of the last 5 years? UNC has to stick it to those stuffy elitists at Duke because they are the "university of the people" yay, the common mans champion against the evil Duke partricians. Yet....where does this attitude go when they deal with state and UK fans? Put Ramses in the "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil" positiions and you have the basic fundamentals of a sheep fan.

4. They seem to have zero knowledge, perspective, or appreciation for the history or trends of the rivalry or the history of college basketball in general, they only seem to have a 5 year long memory. Anything past that....it gets foggy.....80's, 90's? Well there was Deano, MJ and a couple of championships but thats all they know, its all they speak about...in vague generalities.

There are some UNC posters here that do not fit the above description, like Wheat for example and I think there are some Duke fans that do fit. However, as a hole (;)) it seems these traits are more prevalent for sheep fans.

killerleft
11-24-2009, 08:27 AM

I want to agree with you, but just can't. If folks in Utah, or wherever, didn't want to watch Duke play, we would not be on TV there. Money talks. That's why we are on TV so much.

roywhite
11-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Watched a good part of the Heels game vs Gardner Webb last night. There were some aspects again that point to problems:

Very little contribution from the much hyped freshman class, actually with the exception of the Wear twins..Henson I believe had 3 points, and Strickland and McDonald were non-factors.

There was not a made 3-point basket by the Heels until the last minute of the game. The outside shooting is just not there.

So, if one were so inclined, there were things to chuckle about. :)

IBleedBlue
11-24-2009, 10:45 AM
This thing only keeps getting better and better. Here is another quote from a syracuse fan I read on the yahoo sports message board...

"Dukies...we have done our job...now it's your turn...take the heels to the woodshed"

This is making me believe that UNC hate has grown, especially over the last 4 years and is at the point where it's turning the corner and people are publicly spewing it out...

UrinalCake
11-24-2009, 11:09 AM
The reasons that people give for hating Duke usually focus on the following:

- Duke "gets all the calls"

- Duke is overrated, especially in the NCAA tournament where they typically lose to lower-seeded teams

- Duke's players are predominantly white, slow, and unathletic. They rely on three-pointers and the refs calling lots of fouls on the opponents.

- Coach K is a phony who isn't available to the media and cares more about selling books and doing AmEx commercials

- Duke players don't make good NBA players, because they no longer have the refs protecting them

- Duke players are portrayed as being saints by the media, but they are no better than kids at other schools (see JJ Redick's arrest, Shelden Williams's high school incident, Corey Maggette's payment)

- The Cameron crazies are unoriginal and rely on "cheer sheets" to script their cheers.

and probably a few more that I'm forgetting. Of course, as a Duke fan I can come up with a retort for every one of these points... we'll have to see if these same sentiments transfer to UNC if they continue their success, or if they are reserved only for us :)

moonpie23
11-24-2009, 11:15 AM
UNC seems to have a teflon coating of some sort.

the only time i've seen it flake a bit lately is when they suffered the most humiliating defeat in school history at the final four. (and even then, they say, "well, we got em in the 2nd half")

if duke "got all the calls".....wouldn't they "have all the titles"?

oldnavy
11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
I could care less about UNC fans perceived arrogance. If your team is Duke, UNC, UK, KU, UCLA etc... you're going to be somewhat arrogant because for the most part, your team is better than everyone else. When you have that pedigree, you get a little leeway in promoting the greatness. DBR can be full of arrogance at times, we think Duke is better than everyone else, because often they are.

I dislike UNC fans, at least on the internet, for a few main reasons:

1. Front runner mentality: After the 'cuse game, I read posts from several UNC fans saying they were just going to take this season off since they can't compete for the NC. What? First, its November. Nobody honestly knows how good or bad this team will be come March. Second, you stick with your team through good and bad. If UNC takes it on the chin this year, you still cheer for your team as passionately as you would during a NC campaign, otherwise you don't deserve to be a fan. Its why I call them sheep fans (and it denigrates their mascot)

2. I've never encountered a fan base that so honestly believes that everyone is out to get them, their team, despite no evidence to support this belief. Sheep fans complain constantly that the refs were out to get them because beaker didn't get some foul call in a game, despite the fact that statistics show they had way more fouls called for them than against them (and Beaker broke the scoring record making more FTs than FGs). Some truly believed that when Knight did that traveling piece on ESPN last season that K put him up to it. This is just the tip of the paranoia iceberg.

3.The hypocrisy is laughable. They love to whine about how Duke flops yet completely ignoring that their star player's best defensive move is falling backwards. Duke gets all the calls, yet the recent statistics made available show that UNC has a decent lead ahead of Duke in that category. Wah, wah, "Duke" Vitale is always yapping about Coach K wah, wah. Do they go deaf when he talks about Dean Michaelangelo Smith, how great Roy Williams is and the fact that he's picked UNC to win it all 4 out of the last 5 years? UNC has to stick it to those stuffy elitists at Duke because they are the "university of the people" yay, the common mans champion against the evil Duke partricians. Yet....where does this attitude go when they deal with state and UK fans? Put Ramses in the "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil" positiions and you have the basic fundamentals of a sheep fan.

4. They seem to have zero knowledge, perspective, or appreciation for the history or trends of the rivalry or the history of college basketball in general, they only seem to have a 5 year long memory. Anything past that....it gets foggy.....80's, 90's? Well there was Deano, MJ and a couple of championships but thats all they know, its all they speak about...in vague generalities.

There are some UNC posters here that do not fit the above description, like Wheat for example and I think there are some Duke fans that do fit. However, as a hole (;)) it seems these traits are more prevalent for sheep fans.
Perfect summary.

I have a story that sums up how the typical UNC fan feels. Basically, my wife (UNC fan) and I were talking, I was telling her that I thought UNC fans were spoiled because of all the success. I told her that they were just one injury or coaching change away from a bad year (95’). Her reply "Well that would never happen at Carolina" summed up what I was trying to say better than I could have ever expressed it. Oh, and two years later, you guessed it 8-20!

Do you guys remember how the UNC fans used to hate on K for cussing? Now that isn't mentioned since Huck has dropped a few F bombs in public venues. And the argument of how unavailable K was is quieter now that Ol’ Roy has come out and basically said that he hated doing the radio show, because he thinks the fans are idiots...

Sorry for the rambling... but I can hate on UNC like nobody’s business!!
:)

moonpie23
11-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Sorry for the rambling... but I can hate on UNC like nobody’s business!!

oh me too. bu then I'll get that "you have received an I fraction" pop up on my next login. ;)

oldnavy
11-27-2009, 07:43 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10435102/Plenty-to-be-grateful-for-on-the-basketball-beat

Check out # 4.

sagegrouse
11-27-2009, 08:34 AM
2. I've never encountered a fan base [UNC's] that so honestly believes that everyone is out to get them, their team, despite no evidence to support this belief. Sheep fans complain constantly....

And the difference between UNC and Duke fans is that Duke fans have lots of evidence?:)

sage

ReformedAggie
11-27-2009, 12:52 PM
...I thought the school was filled with a bunch of smug, arrogant rich brats and that the team received unfair assistance from refs. Then I got schooled on Coach K and his integrity, his teaching, and his general way of being. I was taught how to watch the game and appreciate great effort as well as a winning score. I became a fan simply by watching how the kids grow and develop from year 1 - 3 (and sometimes YAY even 4) under Coach K. Just saying this in general reply to Duke hating...lots of folks have the uninformed opinion I used to have which is based less on "Duke always wins" and more on "those arrogant bleeps."

airowe
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I wanted to keep this compartmentalized in this thread so we don't ruffle any feathers. Interesting take on the whole Delvon Roe - roy incident from roy's new book. This time it's from Delvon's family's side:

http://noise.typepad.com/hey_joe/2009/12/delvon-and-roy.html#more

Anyway, Blanton said he and Roe visited North Carolina together once, then Roe went by himself on a visit for the UNC-Duke game. Blanton said Williams wanted Roe to commit before the game to get the team hyped. Roe called Blanton. Blanton strictly forbid him from committing.
"I said, 'You're not down there to commit, you're there to watch a game,'" Blanton recalled. "I don't know if he was scared to say no because Roy was pressuring him or what. I don't know exactly what happened after that. He might have committed, Roy might be telling the truth. But he wasn't ready to commit and he shouldn't have been pressured like that.
"Delvon still loved Michigan State and a few weeks later, when he was home and he could think about the decision without someone in his face, he realized that's where he wanted to go."
Roe had a hard time summoning the courage to tell Williams, Blanton said. Blanton told him he had to make the call. He did, and Blanton said Williams started yelling on the other end.
"I don't know exactly the words he was saying, but he was upset," Blanton said of Williams. "He started going off on Delvon. I mean, Delvon's an 11th-grader, he's shook up. So I grabbed the phone and said, 'Let me tell you something, you never disrespect my son like that.'"

airowe
12-13-2009, 10:37 AM
...of (gasp!) another team in the Dean Dome!

http://live-blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/December-2009/Roy-freaks-out-over-heckler,-asks-everyone-else-to

Thompson went to the free throw line for two shots. Thompson drained the first. And as he went to shoot his second, a fan approximately 20 rows behind the North Carolina bench stood and yelled. “Hey Deon, don’t miss it!”

Flustered by the taunt, Williams spun around and scanned the seats for the culprit. The heckler easily identified himself, standing up, and pointing to the Presbyterian College logo on his white golf shirt.

He summoned John Dubis, a member of the Smith Center personnel, and told him to have the fan kicked out of the building. Dubis in turn sent two law enforcement personnel up to the heckler and a third came down from the concourse.

My reaction: weak. Weak, weak, weak. There’s no way around it. Williams’ reaction was overblown and totally inappropriate.

Devilsfan
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Williams is pretty bush league, IMO. "Don't miss it" when they're up by 50. Boy that would incite me too. How profane! And then he (Williams) has been known to go into a presser and uses the "F" word. Talk about a double standard. I think a refund from the ACC is in order for that visiting fan, don't you?

BlueintheFace
12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Cameron Crazies should have a field day with this:

My suggestion:

Dear Deon,
Miss your FT.
-Love,
Crazies

PS- Roy, please don't throw me out.

RoyalBlue08
12-13-2009, 12:10 PM
How is this fan not making a huge deal out of this and at least demanding his money back? In Roy's press conference, he defended his actions by stating he doesn't think anyone should be allowed to come into their stadium and yell anything negative at one of their players. Really?? Since when is yelling at a player not allowed in basketball. This happens on every single FT in every single game in game in the country. Even in Cameron there is also one or two guys trying to distract our players during FTs. Does this mean we can start tossing them out? Roy also compared this event to someone running on the field during a baseball game. Good point Roy, exactly analogous. What a joke!

gwwilburn
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Even at Deadspin, their anti-Duke writers are on top of this one.
http://deadspin.com/5425348/dont-root-against-north-carolina-on-their-home-court-or-you-will-be-ousted-by-roy-williams

SMO
12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
http://deadspin.com/5425348/dont-root-against-north-carolina-on-their-home-court-or-you-will-be-ousted-by-roy-williams

How childish. I used to respect Roy but this combined with the Roe situation have changed my mind. Can't his players handle a minor taunt from a clearly outclassed opponent? Then to threaten to end a press conference if more questions are asked about it? What is wrong with this man?

I eagerly await Wheat's defense. I'm sure Roy taught this young man a lesson that will benefit him the rest of his life!

natedog4ever
12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Do not mess with Alpha Hound.

JG Nothing
12-13-2009, 02:25 PM

Wow. Unbelievable. What a no class move. They even caught it on video tape. This is great material for the Crazies.

JG Nothing
12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Williams is pretty bush league, IMO. "Don't miss it" when they're up by 50. Boy that would incite me too. How profane! And then he (Williams) has been known to go into a presser and uses the "F" word. Talk about a double standard. I think a refund from the ACC is in order for that visiting fan, don't you?

Refund? Not enough. I seriously think the fan deserves a public apology from Williams.

_Gary
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Good Lord that's ridiculous. Unless that guy threatened bodily harm to Deon or Roy, or said something really vulgar, Williams was completely out of line and there is no defense for his actions - period the end! :mad:

I've been one of those guys that has hated to see UNC win so much recently but still respected their coach. But some of the stunts Ole' Roy has pulled in the last year or so has definitely caused me to reevaluate that position. I'm at the point now where I have lost a lot of respect for him. And this isn't about the typical UNC/Duke "hate" that goes on between fans. I'm genuinely disgusted with this guy's antics at this point.

Gary

soccerstud2210
12-13-2009, 02:59 PM
"I don't think anybody should yell anything negative at our players. Period. Let's don't make it a bigger thing than it is" ????? are you kidding me???? negative comments are in EVERY game regardless of where it is played!!! this is absolutely unbelievable. at a loss for words

what a classless human being. im surprised he didnt start crying either

Devilsfan
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Too bad Ol Roy didn't think to have the P.A. announcer request that "all Presbyterians please leave the Smith Center in an orderly fashion and don't stop to partake in any of the heels' fruit of the vine nor their cheese".

Rogue
12-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Roy-Williams-kicks-out-heckling-fan-at-the-Dean-?urn=ncaab,208335

Don't be fussing at his players,, or he'll bring his mountian people down upon you.

Kedsy
12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Roy-Williams-kicks-out-heckling-fan-at-the-Dean-?urn=ncaab,208335

Don't be fussing at his players,, or he'll bring his mountian people down upon you.

It has been mentioned at length in the UNC hate thread.

Greg_Newton
12-13-2009, 05:29 PM

I believe we have airowe to thank for that...

I really hope this debacle gets enough attention that it's not forgotten by the time the holes come to CIS... Roy is just asking for it.

Duke79UNLV77
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think he was so taken aback by someone cheering against UNC in a laugher as he was by there being actual noise and enthusiasm in the Dean Dome for a non-Duke game.

In the video the home crowd is so silent you can easily hear Ole Roy telling the Presbyterean fan, "Why don't you shut up?! Yeah, I'm talking to you!" And, then he summons some of NC's finest.

I can't count how many times I've heard opposing fans of an overmatched team yell at while Duke shoots free throws at Cameron. I've usually seen it as a sign of respect because you typically can tell how thrilled the fans are to get to see a game in the mecca.

superdave
12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Roy Williams - born on third base, twice.

BD80
12-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Come on people, get some perspective. This is exactly like Coach K's back injury, except that Roy is willing to coach through the debilitating pain.

Because of his life-threatening injury and the extreme measures the carolina medical staff must take just to get ol' roy out on the court, roy cannot adequately console his players when they are confronted with such obnoxious, out of control spectators. These poor kids have been deprived of the "huckleberry hound hug" for weeks now! Have you no pity in your devilish souls?

Imagine poor Deon, alone in front of thousands of tomb-silent fans, with the pressure of maintaining a 50 point lead weighing heavily upon his shoulders, only to be ruthlessly chided the way he was ...

AND HIS COACH UNABLE TO HUG HIM WHEN HE GOT BACK TO THE BENCH !!!!

ol' roy may have overreacted under the stress of that highly dramatic, game changing moment, but can you really blame him for giving that hooligan his due?

roywhite
12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
With his arm in a sling,
No disrespect can you bring,
In the pastel Nose Dome
A tomb they call home,
Ole Roy thinks he's a King.

WiJoe
12-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Can you explain this. I may need it for future ammo.

jsimmons
12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
think stress is starting to get to him?

Duvall
12-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I really think we need a separate thread for this, so that we don't have to keep spiking and merging new threads about the incident at the University of the People's Republic.

Also, because it's incredibly funny.

dukelifer
12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
think stress is starting to get to him?

Pain meds, maybe- Roy has not been sleeping well to boot. Just imagine what practice must be like.

sagegrouse
12-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Whenever he gets the ball. Here's a quote from the linked story.

'Drunk, profane fans are a menace at games, but there's no indication the ejected party was either of those things. "Hey Deon, don't miss it," is about as tame a taunt as there gets in a college basketball arena. That may be the nicest heckle Deon Thompson hears all season. When the Tar Heels go play at Duke, such a statement might be considered a compliment.'

Any time he touches the ball in Cameron -- "Hey, Deon, don't miss it!"

sagegrouse

chris13
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Maybe. But he's pretty good at stealing home.

RainingThrees
12-13-2009, 08:39 PM

'Drunk, profane fans are a menace at games, but there's no indication the ejected party was either of those things. "Hey Deon, don't miss it," is about as tame a taunt as there gets in a college basketball arena. That may be the nicest heckle Deon Thompson hears all season. When the Tar Heels go play at Duke, such a statement might be considered a compliment.'

sagegrouse

I don't think K would let the student body say such terrible thing like what was said to Deon. It was just uncalled for.

CLT Devil
12-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I too hope this is not forgotten just because it was an insignificant game. How many times have you heard one or two people who yell every time a Duke player shoots a FT in Cameron? I guess that is the only time CIS gets quiet enough to hear an individual's voice...yet that is how most of the game goes for the 'Holes at home.

I for one would HATE to be the guy who sold/gave the Presby guy tickets to the game, he might lose his Sheep Club card for that...aw shucks.

OTOH - I do remember K having someone ejected, I believe from the DD as well, during a Duke/UNC game. I think the guy was heckling, cussing and doing it all on a very personal level. Turns out the fan was Roy's son. Anyone remember where this happened?

Bottom line is that was totally uncalled for..."Miss it Deon"...wonder what Roy will do when the College Park hooligans make profane shirts, can be heard cussing in unison on Natty TV and start chucking batteries?

I think it's all pretty funny, but will likely be forgotten unless he does it again very soon.

Jarhead
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Maybe. But he's pretty good at stealing home.
Yeah, that fits, but I think there is some thought alleging that he's gotten well beyond first base with very little effort on his part. I think the folks out in the mid-continent flats might have some other thoughts about the man, as would the fan from Presbyterian.

Come on people, get some perspective. This is exactly like Coach K's back injury, except that Roy is willing to coach through the debilitating pain.

Because of his life-threatening injury and the extreme measures the carolina medical staff must take just to get ol' roy out on the court, roy cannot adequately console his players when they are confronted with such obnoxious, out of control spectators. These poor kids have been deprived of the "huckleberry hound hug" for weeks now! Have you no pity in your devilish souls?

Imagine poor Deon, alone in front of thousands of tomb-silent fans, with the pressure of maintaining a 50 point lead weighing heavily upon his shoulders, only to be ruthlessly chided the way he was ...

AND HIS COACH UNABLE TO HUG HIM WHEN HE GOT BACK TO THE BENCH !!!!

ol' roy may have overreacted under the stress of that highly dramatic, game changing moment, but can you really blame him for giving that hooligan his due?

BD8080, you're just a little bit off track comparing Roy's shoulder to K's back problems. The rest of your post is just fine, though.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I eagerly await Wheat's defense.

Steve Kirschner, UNC's Associate Director of Athletics for Communications:

"First, Coach Williams did not instruct security to throw him out the building. He told security to find out if the fan had a ticket for that seat because Coach wanted to know how he got a seat in the section behind our bench. Second, security ejected the fan because they believed him to be intoxicated, something that our security and security staffs at arenas all over the country due regularly."

So what do I think?

Looks like some drunk fan swooped a seat he didn't belong in, stepped over Roy's line taunting Deon from it, so Roy decided he had enough and asked secruity to deal with him.

Evidently, security found him to be in the wrong seat, and in an inappropriate alcoholic state, so they decided to kick him to the curb.

Now some non-Carolina fans desperate to battle 'Ole Roy anywhere but the court, have tried to make this some earth shattering issue.

But hey, I've been fishing and I wasn't there, thats just what I think.

I

Duvall
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM

"First, Coach Williams did not instruct security to throw him out the building. He told security to find out if the fan had a ticket for that seat because Coach wanted to know how he got a seat in the section behind our bench. Second, security ejected the fan because they believed him to be intoxicated, something that our security and security staffs at arenas all over the country due regularly."

Judging by the video (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/6605643/), UNC spokesman Kirschner's claim that Roy didn't eject the fan does not appear to be operative.

What do I think? I think it looks like yet another case of Roy letting one of his flunkies smear someone that had the audacity to displease him. Delvon Roe, then John Wall, now this guy.

Good Ol' Roy.

jipops
12-13-2009, 09:47 PM

So what do I think?

Looks like some drunk fan swooped a seat he didn't belong in, stepped over Roy's line taunting Deon from it, so Roy decided he had enough and asked secruity to deal with him.

Evidently, security found him to be in the wrong seat, and in an inappropriate alcoholic state, so they decided to kick him to the curb.

Now some non-Carolina fans desperate to battle 'Ole Roy anywhere but the court, have tried to make this some earth shattering issue.

I

The biggest question is, why would Roy care? All accounts from press row and even surrounding Tarheel fans apparently is that this was the only taunt heard the entire game and let's face it - it was very much G-rated. Roy's boys were up by 40, why would he make something so meaningless - "bigger than it is"?

Weiderer puts it best asking "What if K had done this? What would the reaction be?". We all know it would be a much much bigger deal. But since it's folksy Roy in a meaningless game, it's only small local news.

There is heckling at every single Duke game to some degree. By and large the rest of the fans/students either don't acknowledge it or have some fun with it. I actually know for a fact there is atleast one "fan" who has access to tickets via a legacy and attends every Duke home game just to root and heckle against them. If K acted like Roy every single home game would suffer multiple delays. Heck, if K was as hypersensitive as Roy he would have left Duke a long, long time ago.

BlueintheFace
12-13-2009, 09:51 PM

So what do I think?

I

Wheat, fishing in the triangle area? If so, where at?

DevilHorns
12-13-2009, 09:53 PM
The biggest question is, why would Roy care? All accounts from press row and even surrounding Tarheel fans apparently is that this was the only taunt heard the entire game and let's face it - it was very much G-rated. Roy's boys were up by 40, why would he make something so meaningless - "bigger than it is"?

Weiderer puts it best asking "What if K had done this? What would the reaction be?". We all know it would be a much much bigger deal. But since it's folksy Roy in a meaningless game, it's only small local news.

There is heckling at every single Duke game to some degree. By and large the rest of the fans/students either don't acknowledge it or have some fun with it. I actually know for a fact there is atleast one "fan" who has access to tickets via a legacy and attends every Duke home game just to root and heckle against them. If K acted like Roy every single home game would suffer multiple delays. Heck, if K was as hypersensitive as Roy he would have left Duke a long, long time ago.

Perfect post. Exactly what I was thinking. Also, Deon needs to grow up. He's a senior player on the team, I think it reflects poorly that he can't handle some simple heckling.

allenmurray
12-13-2009, 10:03 PM

So what do I think?

I

Your facts are wrong - therefore they are not facts. But then, you were not there, you were fishing, so what do you know?

SMO
12-13-2009, 10:05 PM

So what do I think?

I

I knew you could find those baby blue glasses somewhere. Gotta keep 'em handy for the next f-bomb at a press conference:p

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Judging by the video (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/6605643/), UNC spokesman Kirschner's claim that Roy didn't eject the fan does not appear to be operative.

All I see is an obviously angry Roy pointing the guy out in the crowd to his staff.
I don't see him telling anyone to "kick the guy out".

I tend to believe the UNC director of communications, and will until somebody shows some evidence that it didn't happen just as he said.

In the PC, Roy said something to the effect that people shouldn't yell out negative things about players "on our tickets". Which seems to support the idea that Roy thought the guy was heckling players from the players family ticket section or something similar, which I have read elsewhere.

That the guy was heckling from a special section, courtesey of tickets that Roy probably thought he provided, seems to be what set Roy off here, not that he was an every game heckler Roy decided to pick on like some want to make the case out to be.

But I don't know any details, it all seems like a manufactured controversy to me.

Drunk guy gets kicked out of sporting event, big deal.

DevilHorns
12-13-2009, 10:14 PM

...by the home team coach, while making a scene and screaming "You need to shut up, yea I'm talking to you"

Mike Corey
12-13-2009, 10:15 PM

Steve Kirschner's a very nice person, and a very good SID, based on my limited interactions with him.

But this strikes me as someone being given a difficult task.

Kirschner's entire statement is, largely, irrelevant.

Roy-Will stated after the game that he didn't want people saying negative things about his players when in the Dean Dome. If those negative things were personal attacks, vulgarities, etc,. I would surely join him in cleaning up the stands. But the negative statement--reported widely by unaffiliated sources--was merely wishing that one of Roy's players would miss a free throw.

That's the story, IMO.

_Gary
12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Come on, Wheat. You're better than this. I can't believe you are turning a blind eye to something so obvious. The guy was NOT drunk and Roy most assuredly asked for the guy to be removed. I'll believe my own eyes before I believe a director that has a stake in making something pathetic look ok!

Duvall
12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I tend to believe the UNC director of communications...

The reporters that observed the events did not note any obvious drunkenness or belligerence from the fan. But you choose to believe the individual whose job it is to make this mildly embarrassing incident go away as quickly as possible.

Interesting.

WiJoe
12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
All I see is an obviously angry Roy pointing the guy out in the crowd to his staff.

I tend to believe the UNC director of communications, and will until somebody shows some evidence that it didn't happen just as he said.

In the PC, Roy said something to the effect that people shouldn't yell out negative things about players "on our tickets". Which seems to support the idea that Roy thought the guy was heckling players from the players family ticket section or something similar, which I have read elsewhere.

That the guy was heckling from a special section, courtesey of tickets that Roy probably thought he provided, seems to be what set Roy off here, not that he was an every game heckler Roy decided to pick on like some want to make the case out to be.

But I don't know any details, it all seems like a manufactured controversy to me.

How old is roy?

Guess his hearing is pretty good.

He should start acting his age.

he is a major F R A U D !

jipops
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM

Yet other Tarheel witness accounts do not support the notion of the guy being intoxicated. No matter the ticket situation, it is odd that Roy made so much noise about this. If Roy doesn't want to hear anything remotely negative towards his players during a home game, maybe he should have them turn up the fake crowd noise?

I've seen Maryland fans sitting right next to K's family at a game in Cameron. No tiff from K in this situation.

I'm not on this bandwagon that Roy has horns coming out of his head but the guy obviously has issues with his sensitivity. This is just another example of it. And again I just can't help but imagine how dictatorial this would be viewed if it had gone down in Cameron.

You mean like the temper tantrum concerning injury reports?

airowe
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM

You know what's funny, this is actually now big news. MSNBC (http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/12/13/2150649.aspx), Deadspin, ESPN, Rivals, etc, etc. This is why I put this story in the UNC Hate Coming On thread, because I had a feeling (wink @ Greg_Newton) that this would blow up...

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
...by the home team coach, while making a scene and screaming "You need to shut up, yea I'm talking to you"

If someone comes into his house, (Dean Dome), as an invited guest, (which Roy seemed to think he was), and then proceeds to become an unbearable, obnoxious, drunken, slug (accounts suggest there were more taunts than just that one instance), why are we surprised when the homeowner finally has enough and gets testy resulting in guest departure as the outcome?

Coaches have tempers too...and that sentence took longer to write than this "story" deserves :)

Duvall
12-13-2009, 10:34 PM
If someone comes into his house, (Dean Dome), as an invited guest, (which Roy seemed to think he was), and then proceeds to become an unbearable, obnoxious, drunken, slug (accounts suggest there were more taunts than just that one instance)...

Unconfirmed anonymous accounts?

Another successful Roy Williams smear job.

jipops
12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
You know what's funny, this is actually now big news. MSNBC (http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/12/13/2150649.aspx), Deadspin, ESPN, Rivals, etc, etc. This is why I put this story in the UNC Hate Coming On thread, because I had a feeling (wink @ Greg_Newton) that this would blow up...

Wow, impressive. I guess there isn't much else to cover with the holidays coming up. I wonder how much the local talk radio will devote to it.

Even still, I'm betting none of the seemingly 8 bazillion tarheel fans I work with will have any knowledge of it on Monday.

Mike Corey
12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
If someone comes into his house, (Dean Dome), as an invited guest, (which Roy seemed to think he was), and then proceeds to become an unbearable, obnoxious, drunken, slug (accounts suggest there were more taunts than just that one instance), why are we surprised when the homeowner finally has enough and gets testy resulting in guest departure as the outcome?

Coaches have tempers too...and that sentence took longer to write than this "story" deserves :)

Roy Will only called for him to be removed--or, to be (extremely) generous, assessed--by security when he yelled, "Don't miss!" More importantly, afterward, Roy affirmed his stance that UNC's players shouldn't have to hear any negativity, no matter how innocuous (apparently) while in the Dean Dome.

Will Roy-Will now champion such consideration when his team's fans enter opposing arenas?

Aw shucks, I'm not holding my breath.

jipops
12-13-2009, 10:48 PM

What were his other unbearable, obnoxious taunts?

"Your Sprite is flat!"
"Only 12 shopping days left until Christmas!"
"Where do the students sit?"
"Why didn't you recruit ME?"
"Would you like some distraction from the Tiger Woods fiasco?"

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Your facts are wrong - therefore they are not facts. But then, you were not there, you were fishing, so what do you know?

I'm the first to admit I don't know squat other than what I read about this.

Which facts do I have wrong, and can you provide some facts I am not aware of?

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 10:53 PM
What were his other unbearable, obnoxious taunts?

"Your Sprite is flat!"
"Only 12 shopping days left until Christmas!"
"Where do the students sit?"
"Why didn't you recruit ME?"
"Would you like some distraction from the Tiger Woods fiasco?"

You guys seem to be missing the point of the controversy.

It doesn't appear to be that there were taunts, of any nature, that were the issue.

What set Roy off was that he thought the taunts were coming from a seat and a ticket that he had provided.

He didn't like that.

That's how I see it.

Mike Corey
12-13-2009, 11:00 PM

It doesn't appear to be that there were taunts, of any nature, that were the issue.

What set Roy off was that he thought the taunts were coming from a seat and a ticket that he had provided.

He didn't like that.

That's how I see it.

Roy Williams said this after the game:
"I don't think anybody should be yelling anything negative at our players period. Let's don't make it a bigger thing than it is. I just don't think anybody should say yell negative things toward our players who come in on our tickets to watch our game. If it were a playground I'd have a few ideas. But I'm from the mountains.

I respect your right to have an opinion, but am wondering how you could deduce from the above quote that Roy-Will was set off by the geographical location of the fan rather than the content of that fan's innocuous speech. Indeed, Roy-Will would appear to make it quite clear as to why he was voicing an objection: He doesn't "think anybody should be yelling anything negative at" his players. Period.

Acymetric
12-13-2009, 11:02 PM

He didn't like that.

That's how I see it.

I'm not sure thats the reason Roy kicked the guy out, but even if it was, do you really think its appropriate for the head coach to interrupt the game for something that trivial?

Duvall
12-13-2009, 11:06 PM

He didn't like that.

That's how I see it.

I haven't been to the SAC in a while. Do they now have a special marking for the tickets that, even after purchase, are still controlled by Roy?

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Roy Williams said this after the game:

I respect your right to have an opinion, but am wondering how you could deduce from the above quote that Roy-Will was set off by the location of the words rather than the fact that they were coming at all. Roy-Will would appear to make it quite clear as to why he was voicing an objection.

Key statement to me from afar...Roy said...."who come in on our tickets...".

He seems to be refering to people he invites to sit in that special section, which the obnoxious fan somehow found his way into.

dougc33
12-13-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm the first to admit I don't know squat other than what I read about this.

Which facts do I have wrong, and can you provide some facts I am not aware of?

OK, try this on for size:

If someone comes into his house, (Dean Dome),
- The Dean Dome is NOT Roy's house...it is the taxpayers of North Carolina's house and Roy simply coaches in it
as an invited guest, (which Roy seemed to think he was),
- Invited guest of the state university, NOT of Roy's
and then proceeds to become an unbearable, obnoxious, drunken, slug (accounts suggest there were more taunts than just that one instance),
- Accounts vary as to whether the person was intoxicated
why are we surprised when the homeowner
- again, not his house, so he has NO ownership
finally has enough and gets testy resulting in guest departure as the outcome?
- Because he has NO right to violate this person's First Amendment rights

Coaches have tempers too...and that sentence took longer to write than this "story" deserves
- And coaches have egos and arrogance too...methinks Roy's was showing!

jipops
12-13-2009, 11:11 PM

He didn't like that.

That's how I see it.

Are the ownership of the seats fact or speculation? Nonetheless, the point does appear to be the fact that there was atleast one very G-rated taunt which has been made into a bit of spectacle.

Let's say this was in fact Roy's seat that someone mistakenly gave up to an opposing fan or was taken by an opposing fan. The fact we know is that this fan said A non-vulgar, very simple taunt with 6:25 left in the game which had long been decided. Roy points back up and very clearly in the video tells him to "shut up, I'm talking to you". Given what we all know to be fact and what you have stated about the possible ticket situation, it still appears very odd. It is difficult to see how he couldn't possibly deserve some heat for this.

So if a Duke fan receives a ticket purchased by K for a Duke/UNC game at the Dean Dome, and that fan loses his seat to a UNC fan who likes to inform the Duke team that they suck, shouldn't Roy dismiss that UNC fan too? Does K get to? Now that we have the precedent that no negativity is allowed in the Dean Dome, especially from privileged seats, this just seems fair.

Yes, now I feel like I've spent way too much on this subject... but dad-gummit it sure is fun.

Mike Corey
12-13-2009, 11:14 PM

He seems to be refering to people he invites to sit in that special section, which the obnoxious fan somehow found his way into.

With all due respect, that's a very generous analysis of his phrase, one that seems to shrug off the implications of Roy's statements that bookmark this qualifier: no one should be saying anything negative at his players in the Dean Dome. If Roy holds his own fans to this same standard in venues where he and UNC fans are guests, then that's one thing. So hopefully, Roy will carry the flag on that issue.

As to characterizing the fan as "obnoxious," that seems like a baseless slam on someone who suggested as countless fans do that a player against whom his team was playing that he should miss a free throw.

Is that an expulsion-worthy offense? Or more precisely, one that merits the appellation of "obnoxious"?

airowe
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Regardless of whether the ticketholder in question should have been seated there (I've actually heard second-hand that he was given the ticket by a JV Basketball player, thus had the right to be in the seat) Roy's behavior was reprehensible.

He is the coach of the University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill. He needs to be held more accountable for his actions than some guy in a seat. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in wanting to take care of the situation, but do so discreetly. Don't tell this guy "Shut Up. Yeah, I'm talking to you."

Even the most biased of pUNC fans can agree that this should have been handled with more class than it was...

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Yes, now I feel like I've spent way too much on this subject... but dad-gummit it sure is fun.

Agreed :)

Situational awareness, folks.

In all Roy's years of coaching do you think he has heard a few taunts directed at his players? It's part of the game and he knows it. And I bet he could care less about the taunts 99.9% of the time. Do you really think Roy wants to stop those mean fans from picking on his poor little players? Really?

This one guy got under his skin in a quiet Dean Dome,(surprise), from a section he thought he had graciously provided the thankless individual with a ticket.

He's human and he was PO'd. He reacted in the moment.

Have fun with it all you want, I just think is all pretty silly.

DukeUsul
12-13-2009, 11:35 PM

Coach paying too much attention to some lame comments from the stands when he shoulda been coaching. Big enough deal for folks to rag on him a bit.

DukeUsul
12-13-2009, 11:39 PM

He didn't like that.

That's how I see it.

That should be handled after the game between the coach, the Rams Club, the ticket office..... what's Roy doing taking his attention off the game?

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 11:42 PM
With all due respect, that's a very generous analysis of his phrase, one that seems to shrug off the implications of Roy's statements that bookmark this qualifier: no one should be saying anything negative at his players in the Dean Dome. If Roy holds his own fans to this same standard in venues where he and UNC fans are guests, then that's one thing. So hopefully, Roy will carry the flag on that issue.

As to characterizing the fan as "obnoxious," that seems like a baseless slam on someone who suggested as countless fans do that a player against whom his team was playing that he should miss a free throw.

Is that an expulsion-worthy offense? Or more precisely, one that merits the appellation of "obnoxious"?

I would qualify him as an obnoxious fan due to the fact that he was doing his taunts from and area he knew was the player/family area. It's not like he was in the student section. It's not like there weren't some other seats he could have moved to an never been an issue.

He was being a disrespectful donkey's behind, and he knew it. He knew where he was. I have no problem calling that obnoxious.

That's how I'm seeing this.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-13-2009, 11:48 PM
That should be handled after the game between the coach, the Rams Club, the ticket office..... what's Roy doing taking his attention off the game?

Well, the Heels were up like 50 pts, right?

I agree it would have been better addressed otherwise, but Roy is what he is, and when he gets hot, things happen.

DukeUsul
12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Well, the Heels were up like 50 pts, right?

I agree it would have been better addressed otherwise, but Roy is what he is, and when he gets hot, things happen.

I'm sure that's not what he'd tell his players in that situation. That was a very poor example.

DukieInKansas
12-14-2009, 12:06 AM

sagegrouse

Haven't read through all the comments yet, but I hope someone locates this fan and invites him to Cameron for the Duke unc game so he can lead the cheer.

I didn't think the sound quality was the best - did Roy say shut up or STFU?

BD80
12-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Agreed :)

Situational awareness, folks ...

It is not silly, ol' roy was simply petty.

roy has been so disingenuous with his "dad gummit" "aw shucks" facade, that these "silly" moments become so telling.

roy is not a nice person. He certainly isn't the polite country (or "mountain") bumpkin he portrays himself to be - as his "F" bombs prove.

ol' roy has played his national championship fame and attention for all it is worth, so he should know that even up 40 against scrubs will get national attention. There was absolutely no stress to the moment, to the game, to anything. It was a laugher.

How can't ol' roy control himself under those circumstances?

Suggesting the spectator is to blame is consistent with roy's MO. It is always someone else's fault. Let's call him drunk and obnoxious. Let's say he got into "our" seats. BS

ol' roy tries to portray himself as something he is not. That is dishonest. I dislike him for it.

Mike Corey
12-14-2009, 12:14 AM
I would qualify him as an obnoxious fan due to the fact that he was doing his taunts from and area he knew was the player/family area. It's not like he was in the student section. It's not like there weren't some other seats he could have moved to an never been an issue.

He was being a disrespectful donkey's behind, and he knew it. He knew where he was. I have no problem calling that obnoxious.

Did he say something beyond "Don't miss your free throw!"?

DukieInKansas
12-14-2009, 12:15 AM

I think an argument could be made that everyone in attendance at the game is there on "our tickets". Doesn't UNC control all the tickets? Yes, they allot some to the opposing team, but they issue every ticket that is used in the arena.

gumbomoop
12-14-2009, 12:16 AM
He's human and he was PO'd. He reacted in the moment.

Well, R's behavior was definitely silly. Human beings who get PO'd - that includes lots of us - do really silly, in this case utterly embarrassing, things. R screwed up, and it's obvious. It's gotten silly - as it usually does - when the messer-upper - and her/his defenders - invent silly explanations.

He did react in the moment, but he reacted inappropriately, and really, that's putting it kindly. The best solution for him is to say, in some media moment real soon, "Folks, on second thought, I messed up; I was ticked off because [here he can insert - briefly -whatever set him off] but I still messed up. I'm sorry, and owe the guy an apology. Opposing fans really do have a right to hassle my guys at the free throw line. End of story. Agreed?"

One of my own very early posts on this board was slightly - and I thought constructively [others disagreed - gack!] - critical of K for an irritated response of his to what he thought a too-critical reporter's question at '08 Olympics. My point was that K's always more effective as a humorist than as a PO'd guy. [Especially because K is really, really funny, as players who've gotten to know him behind the scenes consistently attest.]

Did K apologize? I doubt it, and one could certainly argue that his chip-on-shoulder attitude was essential to sending the right message about his team's commitment to playing fiercely this time. It worked out pretty well.

The problem for R here is that this situation is more public, less defensible, more embarrassing. It might go away in a few days, but he could defuse his shaming on the Internet with a simple admisssion of a moment of stupidity, and a self-administred dope-slap. R -and K....and the rest of us - need to get others to laugh with, not at, us.

When you're in a hole, Roy [and others], stop digging.

BlueintheFace
12-14-2009, 12:17 AM
If this were K....

Wander
12-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Haven't read through all the comments yet, but I hope someone locates this fan and invites him to Cameron for the Duke unc game so he can lead the cheer.

I hope we invite him to the Duke-UNC game, and right before tip-off we send him over to Roy to say something like "Coach K and I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't yell during the game, since this isn't your house and you're our invited guest."

Also, we'll use Olek Czyz and Ryan Kelly as foul machines to send Deon Thompson to the line whenever he touches the ball, and every single time the stadium gets silent except for the one Presbyterian dude yelling "Kindly miss the free throw, Deon." Thompson ends up going 0-16 on free throws.

Roy gets ejected in the first half of the game. Coach K gets security to escort every single UNC fan out of the building. Ed Davis plays terribly. Dexter Strickland plays like his usual self. Etc etc. I can dream, right?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-14-2009, 12:26 AM
I didn't know anything about this until Sunday night just before midnight when my wife told me it was on the late news. I watched the video from WRAL sports. I have two comments.

1) Roy was way out of line in talking to, or back to, the fan.

2) Boy, I sure wish it had been me! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Stray Gator
12-14-2009, 12:52 AM
It appears that the damage-control spin emerging in comments from Roy's defenders is that the visiting fan "was intoxicated," and "had been obnoxious throughout the game," and was ejected because he wasn't in the seat that corresponded to his ticket. The most obvious problem with that interpretation is the fact that that the incident happened with only 6:45 remaining in the game--so the guy had already been in the arena for about two hours before the incident. Unless they've started selling alcoholic beverages in the Dean Dome, or he smuggled in some mini-bottles, this fellow must have had one heck of an enduring buzz. And it's difficult to comprehend why the UNC fans in that section failed to raise any question throughout all that time about whether this allegedly obnoxious opposing fan was sitting in the wrong section.

Roy is really quite an amusing character. As I recall, he insists on having the "Duke" script on his chair taped over when he comes to Cameron. Now we understand that he doesn't want visiting fans trying to distract his players during a game by yelling at them when they're shooting free throws. What will we learn next about the sensitivities of this extraordinary man? :rolleyes:

Kedsy
12-14-2009, 01:05 AM
BD8080, you're just a little bit off track comparing Roy's shoulder to K's back problems. The rest of your post is just fine, though.

You realize he was being sarcastic, right?

BD80
12-14-2009, 01:22 AM
You realize he was being sarcastic, right?

What's really scary is that he thought the rest of the post was fine!

Kedsy
12-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Roy's behavior was reprehensible.

I think this whole situation is funny. I think the fact that it's getting national attention is hilarious. Roy's behavior was probably foolish and ill-advised, bordering on ridiculous. But reprehensible? Drunk driving, sexual assault, racism, even deceit can all be described as reprehensible. It's a lot harder to go there with the situation in question. My opinion only, of course.

airowe
12-14-2009, 01:56 AM
I think this whole situation is funny. I think the fact that it's getting national attention is hilarious. Roy's behavior was probably foolish and ill-advised, bordering on ridiculous. But reprehensible? Drunk driving, sexual assault, racism, even deceit can all be described as reprehensible. It's a lot harder to go there with the situation in question. My opinion only, of course.

Tomato, tomatoe. :D

stickdog
12-14-2009, 02:03 AM

He was yelling "Don't miss!" at a Deon Thompson when Thompson was shooting a free throw. And that makes him a "disrespectful donkey's behind"? LOL. Only in Roy Williams' pain killer addled mind.

"I don't think anybody should yell anything negative at our players. Period." Roy Kim Jong-illiams

stickdog
12-14-2009, 04:11 AM
While the article (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Roy-Williams-kicks-out-heckling-fan-at-the-Dean-;_ylt=AocK8caJQ8VA94ZrKuquHPvevbYF?urn=ncaab,20833 5) is written by a Roy apologist, the comments are priceless.

slower
12-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Roy is really quite an amusing character. As I recall, he insists on having the "Duke" script on his chair taped over when he comes to Cameron.

Doesn't Duke "generously provide" Ol' Roy-Bag with that chair? Tell him to suck it - the script stays.

And I would love to see him try to handle a heckling fan as if they were "on the playground". Fat chance that Roy-Bag would allow himself to receive a public butt-kicking.

The guy is as fake as they come.

Rogue
12-14-2009, 07:29 AM
If this were K....

AYE, and there lies the rub. We know what the media and fans of the "world" would have done had this been Coach K..

blueprofessor
12-14-2009, 07:46 AM

There was no cursing.Seating position in the stadium was not threatening. Roy acted like a little dictator who is drunk with power.He seems to be easily offended. That personality type is manifested by his running his mouth before thinking and asking for all the facts---as in "He should coach his own program" and blowing up at a kid who decided he did not want to attend UNC. Expect more such behavior reinforcing his need for absolute power and its exercise.

Best--Blueprofessor

oldnavy
12-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Roy uses poor judgments in a situation. Why call the guy out and tell him to shut up? That makes Roy look like he is in the 5th grade. But we are getting use to this type of behavior aren't we? Maybe Roy was doing every sports fan in the nation a favor by using this as a teachable moment. Sporting events around the country will be the better for Roy's courageous actions!
Thank you Roy!

There were about 5 better ways to handle that situation. Roy chose the low road, again...

Son of Mojo
12-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Ol Roy-Bag............I think I have a new favorite expession.......hahaha. He clearly points out the fan who he feels has been so terrible, calls him out, and then motions for someone to come over so he can tell them to have the guy thrown out. We all know that Huck (how would Huck-Bag work?) has to justify his action somehow--that's how this guy became drunk, in an area he shouldn't have been in, and yelling dastardly slurs like "don't miss?" Geez. This will have to become a new chant for the Crazies. I also suggest laying down a doily on his chair in Cameron with a floormat that has unc (UGH) on it so he doesn't soil his feet. It's a shame people buy the snake oil Huck is selling and has sold for a while. I hope the tsunami of hate does start to get stronger--I was shocked to see it as a front page story on yahoo.

allenmurray
12-14-2009, 10:31 AM

You seemed to be taking it pretty seriously until the facts started getting in the way of what you wanted to believe. Now that you don't have a leg to stand on you've decided to think it is pretty silly.

I'm feeling like you've crossed the line from a "Carolina fan well respected by DBR" to simply being a troll.

IBleedBlue
12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Wheat...with all due respect to you on this board, I believe this fun is not stopping here and not now...I am pretty sure Roy will get a dose of it when he enters the CIS for the game day.

davekay1971
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Ridiculous. You can't say that a fan can only cheer or boo from certain sections of an arena. The man was not being vulgar, crass, or rude. He didn't shout a personal insult or anything demeaning. Roy was way out of line.

For an example of class, take the Davidson fans. My wife and I went to the Davidson/NCSU game last year at the invitation of one of my colleagues, a big Davidson booster. We sat literally next to the director of admissions and immediately behind the university president, 3 rows (not 20, 3) from the court, wore our State gear, cheered for State and occassionally dared to shout for the Davidson players to miss their free throws. We got into a lot of good natured ribbing with the Davidson fans, my colleague received a lot of good natured ribbing for bringing a couple of State fans into the Davidson fat cat area, and everyone had a good night. Davidson won, we shook hands with the people around us and went home.

Roy should apologize for overreacting, and the UNC sports information department should be ashamed by their character assassination scheme to cover for the coach. The guy was intoxicated? Really? What was his blood alcohol level? Where was any observable drunken behavior? What did this guy do, other than shout "Miss it" to deserve being ejected from the game?

arnie
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Adam Gold and others on 850 were having a field day with ole Roy this morning. At least it has received local attention and they are recognize how stupid Roy was for the act, discussing it in the press conference, lying about the fan being drunk and then shutting down the discussion when he became uncomfortable. I guess "Wheat" and others are pretty proud of their coach.

moonpie23
12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
makes me wonder what was going on with huck that day......you don't use the atom bomb on an irritating flea.....

roy got into a huffing contest with the fan and pulled out the ultimate trump card......too bad there's not something legal the fan could do...

i do think it was interesting that the gendarme's who attended at roy's order were MORE than happy to "take care of that obnoxious trouble maker"....they were ON IT !!

regardless, i bet he regrets it now..

A-Tex Devil
12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Hmmmmm..... I spoke to a former colleague at the game, and while he is a 'Heel, he is typically even handed.

He said The PC fan was on the other end of the court in the first half being loud. (Or relatively loud. A pin drop is loud in the Dean Dome, especially in the 2nd half of a non-conference blowout.) He was also apparently clearly drunk, although not horribly so, and from what I understand, he was not being obscene.

So in the second half as the stadium was clearing out, he managed to get into the friends and family section. The equivalent of standing within 5-7 rows behind the Duke bench at Cameron Indoor. So he wasn't in his assigned seat anymore, and was in the section where you are most likely to get kicked out for not being in the correct seat. So I tend to believe Roy when he says "Our seats" and means the friends and family seats. He is still an idiot for handling it the way he did.

So Roy overreacted. Had he given the guy a look, then asked a manager to get a cop to take him away, no one would have known. Roy handled it awfully. At the same time, a heckling fan sitting in CIS in the friends and family seat WITHOUT A TICKET TO THAT SEAT (that's the key), would have been kicked out as well. Although it would have happened immediately, and the fans would have policed it themselves and let K and his staff handle the game.

DukeUsul
12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
So Roy overreacted. Had he given the guy a look, then asked a manager to get a cop to take him away, no one would have known. Roy handled it awfully. At the same time, a heckling fan sitting in CIS in the friends and family seat WITHOUT A TICKET TO THAT SEAT (that's the key), would have been kicked out as well. Although it would have happened immediately, and the fans would have policed it themselves and let K and his staff handle the game.

Exactly. This is key. If the guy didn't belong there and/or if he was in fact intoxicated, the fans around him or the stadium staff should deal with him. The coach shouldn't interact with fans, it presents a terrible example to his players. If Roy did notice, I agree that he should have had a manager go get security and not make a public spectacle of himself.

jesus_hurley
12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Exactly. This is key. If the guy didn't belong there and/or if he was in fact intoxicated, the fans around him or the stadium staff should deal with him. The coach shouldn't interact with fans, it presents a terrible example to his players. If Roy did notice, I agree that he should have had a manager go get security and not make a public spectacle of himself.

Skype.....

jesus_hurley
12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
PC fan's response:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6611583/

King said he bought two tickets off StubHub for the game, but moved in the second half to sit with buddies from elementary school who had seats in the lower level behind the UNC bench. King said he was invited to sit there and that his friends had extra tickets available. He said he could have shown the security officers the tickets if they had asked.

King said he was surprised when Williams turned to him.

"He told me to shut up. I said, 'Who, me?'" King said.

"And he said, 'Yeah, I'm talking to you.'

"And I said, 'Go Blue Hose' and pointed to my shirt."

Williams motioned to someone at the Smith Center and security guards emerged to escort King out.

oldnavy
12-14-2009, 12:34 PM

No doubt, the way to handle it would have been to call an assistant down and quietly asked them to have security remove the guy. This is not a difficult situation to handle at all for someone with Roy’s clout, simply summon one of your minions and have them take care of it. Duh!

Roy doesn't seem to be able to handle being out of the spot light this year... Maybe he needs a hug?

Kfan4Life
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
The video totally contradicts everything UNC says about the incident. The guy did not look drunk and he was not uncooperative. I used to like Roy, but he is not handling success very well. Roy was way out of line on this one.

jesus_hurley
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
The video totally contradicts everything UNC says about the incident. The guy did not look drunk and he was not uncooperative. I used to like Roy, but he is not handling success very well. Roy was way out of line on this one.

And had he been asked he could have produced a ticket for that section

jipops
12-14-2009, 12:51 PM
PC fan's response:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6611583/

This guy is obviously handling the incident with a lot of class publicly. Somebody get this guy a ticket to a game in Cameron if he doesn't already have one.

I think it's ridiculous that a guy's character had to be smeared by the UNC AAD. I don't exactly envy the AAD's job here, make the bad mistake made by Roy go away to make him look like he was in the right. Though it is so very clear he was far from being in the right.

from the article - "King said the Smith Center was quiet in the second half, except for him rooting for his team." So isn't the real fault here the lameness of the UNC crowd?

dukemsu
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Ol' Roy has the world by the tail.

He gets every recruit he wants, including those he recruits late in the process just to keep them away from rivals. He has an excellent team. He has a fawning national media who has bought his Shucks Huckleberry act hook, line, and sinker. And he's acting like this?

What is the problem? Have fun, Roy. It'll never be better than this.

dukemsu

oldnavy
12-14-2009, 12:54 PM

I don't buy any of the "official" explanation from UNC. The spin might work, except there is clear video that shows the situation was a overreaction by Mr. Congeniality and his goons. Looks to me like the guy was responding to the security folks in an appropriate manner. Notice how the third guard that comes up, yanks him out of the row... after the first guy pulls on his shirt. A little heavy handed huh?

Wander
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
UNC associate athletics director Steve Kirshner said "It had zero to do with Roy Williams."

There's enough laughs to get out of that and Wheat's comments to make the whole damn thing worth it by itself.

Highlander
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the entire grad student section showed up to the UNC game in white Presbyterian College polos?

stickdog
12-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Hmmmmm..... I spoke to a former colleague at the game, and while he is a 'Heel, he is typically even handed.

He said The PC fan was on the other end of the court in the first half being loud. (Or relatively loud. A pin drop is loud in the Dean Dome, especially in the 2nd half of a non-conference blowout.) He was also apparently clearly drunk, although not horribly so, and from what I understand, he was not being obscene.

So in the second half as the stadium was clearing out, he managed to get into the friends and family section. The equivalent of standing within 5-7 rows behind the Duke bench at Cameron Indoor. So he wasn't in his assigned seat anymore, and was in the section where you are most likely to get kicked out for not being in the correct seat. So I tend to believe Roy when he says "Our seats" and means the friends and family seats. He is still an idiot for handling it the way he did.

Thank God for the video evidence (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6605651/). Because if it weren't for the video evidence (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6605651/), we might have to believe the Roy apologists.

The fan was not clearly drunk. Roy got in a fight with him from at least 20 rows away and had him tossed for yelling "Don't miss it." The officers did not ask to see the poor fan's ticket before tossing him out of the game. They simply acted on Kim Jong-illiams' orders.

BTW, it's not the crime. It's the cover stories.

Devilsfan
12-14-2009, 01:50 PM
In retrospect, it must havve been hillarious to see Coach Goober have Officer Fife and his partner lead a presumably clean cut American boy supporting, no not an enemy terrorist force but rather Presbyterian College, out of the Smith Center because he was supporting his team and not Roys. I wish I could have been there to hear the "book'em Barney" command.

A-Tex Devil
12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Thank God for the video evidence (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6605651/). Because if it weren't for the video evidence (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6605651/), we might have to believe the Roy apologists.

The fan was not clearly drunk. Roy got in a fight with him from at least 20 rows away and had him tossed for yelling "Don't miss it." The officers did not ask to see the poor fan's ticket before tossing him out of the game. They simply acted on Kim Jong-illiams' orders.

BTW, it's not the crime. It's the cover stories.

It's also becoming clear this guy was not in the friends and family section that all the UNC folks were claiming he was in. He was behind it.

I have floor seats in Dallas on Saturday. I hope 50,000 Texas fans let him have it.

EDITED TO SAY -- he wasn't clearly drunk on the 30 seconds of reel that we all have seen. Even on my worst Saturday nights, I am guessing there are 30-60 second intervals where I appear completely lucid. I'm not going to assume one way or the other on that one based on the videotape.

jesus_hurley
12-14-2009, 02:10 PM
In retrospect, it must havve been hillarious to see Coach Goober have Officer Fife and his partner lead a presumably clean cut American boy supporting, no not an enemy terrorist force but rather Presbyterian College, out of the Smith Center because he was supporting his team and not Roys. I wish I could have been there to hear the "book'em Barney" command.

Barney Fife knew right from wrong. Just sayin'

stickdog
12-14-2009, 02:11 PM
It's also becoming clear this guy was not in the friends and family section that all the UNC folks were claiming he was in. He was behind it.

I have floor seats in Dallas on Saturday. I hope 50,000 Texas fans let him have it.

EDITED TO SAY -- he wasn't clearly drunk on the 30 seconds of reel that we all have seen. Even on my worst Saturday nights, I am guessing there are 30-60 second intervals where I appear completely lucid. I'm not going to assume one way or the other on that one based on the videotape.

How about based on the victim's own testimony (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6611583/)?

Or is Roy's law guilty until proven innocent?

BTW, it's not the crime. It's the character assassination cover up.

roywhite
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
How about based on the victim's own testimony (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6611583/)?

Agree. This is a real person who got tossed out, and his name is now being spread as a part of this story. It was foolish to have him thrown out in the first place. Coming up with some phony justification is inexcusable.

A-Tex Devil
12-14-2009, 02:27 PM

I've already said Roy shouldn't have gotten involved. It's stupid. And the fact it appears that the guy WASN'T in the "friends and family" seats makes it worse for UNC.

But just as I am not going to take Roy and the SID at their word, I'm not going to take the fan at his either just because he is the "enemy of my enemy." Mostly because I don't care and I don't know any of them to make that call. I imagine the story is somewhere in between, most likely more so in the PC fan's favor than in UNC's.

And unfortunately it is "Guilty until proven innocent" in a stadium where you are an invitee per the contract on your ticket. The stadium can kick you out for wearing the wrong color jersey in the wrong section if they want. They don't as a rule because it's bad PR and bad for business.

We had a little dustup with the Robertson Scholars a few years back if I remember. We didn't kick them out (I don't think), but didn't we revoke their ticket rights? (I may be wrong on this -- just can't recall what the end solution was).

shoutingncu
12-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Haven't we seen this episode before? (5:22 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Zxm2xChkE

stickdog
12-14-2009, 03:06 PM
This isn't about stadium officials kicking a fan out of the game.

This is about a coach who angrily yells at an opposing fan sitting well over 20 rows behind him and tells the fan to "shut the **** up".

Then when the opposing fans says "Are you talking to me?", the coach replies angrily, "Yes, I'm talking to you" and immediately has three security goons physically toss the fan from the game for not respecting his authoritah.

There is no way Roy Williams could have known if the fan was drunk. The security officers never asked to see the fan's ticket before tossing him from the game. The fan says he had a ticket for his seat, and a poster on another Duke message board vouches for the accuracy of that statement. The player on the free throw line at the time as well as the fan himself confirm that the fan yelled nothing worse than "Miss it, Deon!"

The coach then explained his bizarre, little Napoleon control freak behavior by saying, "I just don't think anybody should yell anything negative at our players. Period. Don't make this a bigger thing than it is. I just don't think anybody should say negative things towards our players."

Then the coach threatened to end his media session if anybody so much as dared to question him any further about the episode.

In the world of UNC public relations, the response to Williams' bizarre behavior was to aggressively challenge any media members who dared publicize Williams' actions by assassinating the character of the poor fan whom Williams had his goons descend on and to deny that Roy Williams had anything to do with the fan getting thrown out of the game, despite readily available video evidence (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6605651/) that belies all these claims.

UrinalCake
12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Just to throw a little more fire into the pot, based on that video it appears that the security guards were pretty quick to physically put their hands on the guy and move him along. I'm not saying they hurt him or anything like that, but they appeared to be a little aggressive when he wasn't taking any sort of physical action towards them.

camion
12-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I think the most embarrassing, to UNC, thing about the whole incident is that one Presbyterian fan was apparently out cheering the entire Carolina contingent.

jesus_hurley
12-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I think the most embarrassing, to UNC, thing about the whole incident is that one Presbyterian fan was apparently out cheering the entire Carolina contingent.

Dome officials apparently couldn't find the crowd noise cd.

oldnavy
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
This isn't about stadium officials kicking a fan out of the game.

This is about a coach who angrily yells at an opposing fan sitting well over 20 rows behind him and tells the fan to "shut the **** up".

Then when the opposing fans says "Are you talking to me?", the coach replies angrily, "Yes, I'm talking to you" and immediately has three security goons physically toss the fan from the game for not respecting his authoritah.

There is no way Roy Williams could have known if the fan was drunk. The security officers never asked to see the fan's ticket before tossing him from the game. The fan says he had a ticket for his seat, and a poster on another Duke message board vouches for the accuracy of that statement. The player on the free throw line at the time as well as the fan himself confirm that the fan yelled nothing worse than "Miss it, Deon!"

The coach then explained his bizarre, little Napoleon control freak behavior by saying, "I just don't think anybody should yell anything negative at our players. Period. Don't make this a bigger thing than it is. I just don't think anybody should say negative things towards our players."

Then the coach threatened to end his media session if anybody so much as dared to question him any further about the episode.

In the world of UNC public relations, the response to Williams' bizarre behavior was to aggressively challenge any media members who dared publicize Williams' actions by assassinating the character of the poor fan whom Williams had his goons descend on and to deny that Roy Williams had anything to do with the fan getting thrown out of the game, despite readily available video evidence (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6605651/) that belies all these claims.

Pretty sure looking at the video that Roy said, "how about you shutting up", not shut the *** up. No need to make it worse for the poor man than it is. I expect the F bomb to come if he is asked about it again in an interview.

sagegrouse
12-14-2009, 04:17 PM

They were moaning over on IC about how "the D...s" were going to have a field day with this incident. [DBR edits out the obvious word.]

Not true. Roy is being ridiculed by all parties, including some on IC. (a) It is laughingly "unpresidential" for a coach of his stature to stoop to something so trivial and mean. (b) It was near the end of the game, and his team was winning by 50 points. (c) He showed he has what we used to call "rabbit ears," which means that every heckler in North America will go after him.

It's not really a surprise that he acts in strange ways: after all, he's the coach that threw his star player under the bus at a press conference. I even gave him a break on that one, because who the heck wants to coach Rashad McCants.

Going back to the main subject, I wouldn't waste a breath on Ol' Roy, except to repeat the Presbyterian fan's yell whenever Deon Thompson is at the free throw line.

sagegrouse
'First day skiing -- it was marvelous -- let me hear from you if you come to Steamboat'

camion
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Dome officials apparently couldn't find the crowd noise cd.

Some prankster had apparently switched it for:

http://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/stores/content/TimeLife/us/images/CFRXX23511-D_400.jpg

And nobody noticed.

moonpie23
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't waste a breath on Ol' Roy, except to repeat the Presbyterian fan's yell whenever Deon Thompson is at the free throw line.

i've got a great idea.....how about we (duke fans) don't say ANYTHING to them until we beat em...?

how about that?

roywhite
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
i've got a great idea.....how about we (duke fans) don't say ANYTHING to them until we beat em...?

how about that?

Feel free not to comment yourself.

A self-inflicted wound by thin-skinned Ole Roy and some clumsy damage control. Sounds like a reasonable topic to discuss. And it's not a story just amongst Duke fans.

Heelkiller1
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM

how about that?

I agree 100% ,lets beat them then we can talk all the smack we want.
]

roywhite
12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4741580

ESPN page 2 adds to the fun.

stickdog
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Is Roy Williams the biggest phony in college basketball? (http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/2009/12/14/is-roy-williams-the-biggest-phony-in-college-basketball/)

funkmeister
12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Couldn't agree more, stickdog.
Here's another take (http://www.crazie-talk.com/2009/12/14/coach-k-roy/) on the differences between K and Ole Roy...

airowe
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
http://live-blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/December-2009/Ol--Roy-vs--the-Blue-Hose-Yeller--one-final-update

Again Williams seemed like he was ready to admit he had been wrong in engaging King. But then in his final statement on the matter Monday, Williams made sure not to apologize.

"I hate that it happened," he said. "I wish I hadn't gotten involved with it. But don't be sitting behind our bench yelling at our players in my building. That's the way I feel about. And if I'm wrong, then that's good. But I ain't apologizing."

stickdog
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
http://live-blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/December-2009/Ol--Roy-vs--the-Blue-Hose-Yeller--one-final-update

Again Williams seemed like he was ready to admit he had been wrong in engaging King. But then in his final statement on the matter Monday, Williams made sure not to apologize.

"I hate that it happened," he said. "I wish I hadn't gotten involved with it. But don't be sitting behind our bench yelling at our players in my building. That's the way I feel about. And if I'm wrong, then that's good. But I ain't apologizing."

http://gomeler.com/pic/Articles/I%20Live/Cartman.jpg

jipops
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Can he at least apologize for abusing the English language? So he is willing to concede he is wrong, yet refuses to apologize. I certainly hope Roy doesn't end up writing any children's books. Also, I was unaware it was now the Roy A. Williams Center. He couldn't even say "our" building, he has to say "my" building. Seems somewhat telling.

moonpie23
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
can anyone confirm (from the video) that he was NOT in the "special" section of "friends and family"...

also, i know we have some experts skilled in circumvention of the law (attorneys) in here.....any billable hours in this?

moonpie23
12-14-2009, 09:49 PM
it's not the intense amount of language that K uses, or the perceived lack of it from Ol' Roy... it's the pass that K gets from the media.

how does he get a "pass" for it? what are they supposed to write? "coach k said some bad words, then in another game he said some more bad words, and then, in another game AGAIN, he said some bad words" ??

he didn't drop one in the presser...

dukestheheat
12-14-2009, 10:29 PM
^^^

I suspect that Deputy will probably try to slip the dude some tickets or something like that; certainly, he screwed this one up but a poster asked what I think is the best question: why did this happen? A vast over-reaction, this mistake is going to cost him a good deal when they come over to Cameron later on.

The Crazies will probably craft a look-alike and have him walk up to Deputy before game-time for a little forgiveness meeting.

dth.

killerleft
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM

I didn't think the sound quality was the best - did Roy say shut up or STFU?

Great idea! Presbyterian Guy should be located as close to Roy as possible. And there should be a fake security guy come and "evict" the first Tar Heel in the rows behind Ol' Roy for cheering against Duke on "our ticket". The evictee could even be a Crazy in disguise.

roywhite
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Great idea! Presbyterian Guy should be located as close to Roy as possible. And there should be a fake security guy come and "evict" the first Tar Heel in the rows behind Ol' Roy for cheering against Duke on "our ticket". The evictee could even be a Crazy in disguise.

Move over, Speedo Guy and Crazy Towel Guy...a new superhero in the Crazy Hall of Fame...Presbyterian Guy!

Hasn't he said he enjoyed going to Duke games? This has got to happen.

UrinalCake
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
When the heels come to Cameron and Deon is at the line, how about a sign that says "Let's don't make this free throw"?

Acymetric
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
When the heels come to Cameron and Deon is at the line, how about a sign that says "Let's don't make this free throw"?

Why a sign? Every time he shoots free throws (every time he shoots if you're ambitious) just have the crowd shout in unison "Miss it Deon!" I think that should work pretty well...

ArkieDukie
12-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I can't believe we're missing the obvious one. The Crazies should quote Roy Williams when he's shouting instructions to his players on the court. How would he react to the crowd shouting "Shut the **** up!" (or whatever he said)?

Personally, I'd like to thank Roy-bag for giving so much ammo to all of unc's opposing fans. Easy stuff, too. :D

moonpie23
12-15-2009, 12:21 AM
man, i hate being the wet blanket on the party, but we are ALL being jedi mind-tricked by the joy of riding roy like a rented donkey...

all these suggestions aren't gonna mean squat if we're down 20.

please, y'all...let's stay focused on the issue at hand when they come over to cameron...

phaedrus
12-15-2009, 12:59 AM
please, y'all...let's stay focused on the issue at hand when they come over to cameron...

You mean like getting back on defense, hitting our free throws, making crisp passes? Is that the sort of thing we, DBR posters, should be focused on?

diesel
12-15-2009, 07:41 AM
I've been wondering what to name this immortal episode so that future generations can relate to it. Presbyteriangate? BlueHosegate? OleRoygate? Roybaggate? GTHCgate? Roysuxgate? 9Fgate? WhinenCheesegate?

Your suggestions?

dukestheheat
12-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I've been wondering what to name this immortal episode so that future generations can relate to it. Presbyteriangate? BlueHosegate? OleRoygate? Roybaggate? GTHCgate? Roysuxgate? 9Fgate? WhinenCheesegate?

Your suggestions?

....morning, thinking 'we gotta come up with a name for this one, something like 'Roy-Gate''!

so: 'Toss-Gate'; 'Get-the-cops-Gate''; 'Gaffe-Gate'.

Crazie cheer to Roy during Duke/Hole game in Cameron: 'Please don't toss me!'.

Or, we could just get all the Crazies to sport a baby bonnet and when Roy comes on out of the dressing cave for UNC at Cameron, they could all start the baby-whine, loud and clear. Stuff like that.

dth.

slower
12-15-2009, 08:11 AM
His wikipedia entry says that although Roy was "All Western North Carolina" in 1968, he was never good enough to play varsity for Dean.

This may explain a lot about the guy and his pettiness. He may have some pent-up anger (ya think?). I mean, you can practically see the guy seethe whenever it doesn't go his way - the body of anecdotal evidence is mounting (from the Bonnie Bernstein "I don't give a s**t..." sound bite right up to Presbyterian Guy).

We just need to understand that although he seems like a Roy-Bag, it may all stem from the heartbreak of being JV Roy. Textbook stuff, really. He's just a guy with a massive inferiority complex.

Maybe I'll work on writing "The Ballad of JV Roy", sung to the tune of "The Beverly Hillbillies" song.

davekay1971
12-15-2009, 08:18 AM

Your suggestions?

Getting Blue Hosed at the Dean Dome.

Moonpie - love your posts and generally agree with a lot of what you say, but, c'mon Dad, it's two months until the first Duke-UNC game...let us have our fun with this! :)

Exiled_Devil
12-15-2009, 08:24 AM

how about that?

You, sir, seem to mistake smack talk for the cheering that the crazies do.

'Scoreboard' doesn't cover up Huckleberry's actions. It's worth commenting on regardless of recent history. Picking on their players for their lack of capability in Cameron would be premature, sure. Mocking the team and coach is never premature.

miramar
12-15-2009, 09:15 AM
At least Ron Artest didn't get someone else to do his dirty work for him.

I hope King gets that free ticket from DBR. In fact, I hope he gets tickets for the Carolina game, sitting right behind their bench.

I remember that the Florida Marlins offered Steve Bartman free tickets after the incident with the Chicago Cubs, but unfortunately he didn't take them up on it.

moonpie23
12-15-2009, 09:27 AM
i suppose my frustration from losing to them so much recently is getting the better of me. I remember when hanstravel was on Dan Patrick show one time and they were talking about all the razzing he gets. Dan asked him what's the weirdest thing anyone ever said to him to get under his skin.

He thought about it and then said that he always thought it was weird when opposing fans yelled "YOU SUCK" at him, usually when the holes were up 20.

i'll just butt out on this one...i'm not gonna have any fun till we beat them...

WiJoe
12-15-2009, 09:58 AM
...i'm not gonna have any fun till we beat them...

Well said! (or typed)

:D

91_92_01_10_15
12-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Your suggestions?

Someone commenting over at WRALSportsFan (the comments section on the "Presbyterian fan defends his actions" article is hilarious, BTW) is calling it Roy'd Rage. I like it.

diesel
12-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Someone commenting over at WRALSportsFan (the comments section on the "Presbyterian fan defends his actions" article is hilarious, BTW) is calling it Roy'd Rage. I like it.

We have a winner! (Don't we?) I think Roy'dRage gate takes the biscuit!:D

DukeFanSince1990
12-15-2009, 10:31 AM

Hey guys, I am proud to say the Roy'd Rage comment was from wormwood33, who happens to be me over at wralsportsfan. I am a longtime reader first time commentator.

Lets see, I started playing basketball in the backyard which led me watch it on TV. My family really was a baseball family, I kind of broke the mold on that. Anyway, me being a little guy (ended up being 5'9) I loved to watch Bobby Hurley growing up and tried to play like him. I was a fan since the 89-90 season (unlv beat us up pretty bad) but when I got the chance to watch a game in cameron during Battier and Brands freshmen year, I think it went to another level. There is something about being in cameron that does not translate well from the living room watching espn. Since then I am proud to say I have been to 2 more games, one being last year at THE game. Even though we lost it will be one of my best memories actualy being in Cameron during a UNC match.

Thats all, carry on.

91_92_01_10_15
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey guys, I am proud to say the Roy'd Rage comment was from wormwood33, who happens to be me over at wralsportsfan. I am a longtime reader first time commentator.

Lets see, I started playing basketball in the backyard which led me watch it on TV. My family really was a baseball family, I kind of broke the mold on that. Anyway, me being a little guy (ended up being 5'9) I loved to watch Bobby Hurley growing up and tried to play like him. I was a fan since the 89-90 season (unlv beat us up pretty bad) but when I got the chance to watch a game in cameron during Battier and Brands freshmen year, I think it went to another level. There is something about being in cameron that does not translate well from the living room watching espn. Since then I am proud to say I have been to 2 more games, one being last year at THE game. Even though we lost it will be one of my best memories actualy being in Cameron during a UNC match.

Thats all, carry on.

Welcome. Nice job on the "Roy'd Rage."

grad_devil
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
"Roy's got Roy'd Rage" <clap> <clap> <clap><clap><clap><clap>

--grad_devil

aro24
12-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Until a non-UNC fan will obtain a ticket specifically for the purpose of going to the game and heckeling Roy and the players - trying to goad Roy into another reaction?

ARo24

jesus_hurley
12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Until a non-UNC fan will obtain a ticket specifically for the purpose of going to the game and heckeling Roy and the players - trying to goad Roy into another reaction?

ARo24

7 more days. UNC @ home vs Marshall. This one is supposed to be on TV as well

slower
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM

Game, set, match!

oldnavy
12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I never really noticed before, but during the Bonnie Bernstein interview, did anyone else notice how EXTREMELY condescending and sexist Roy was being to suggest that Bonnie was only asking the question because the "man speaking in your ear.." told her too?

Maybe, just maybe Bonnie was smart enough to think to ask him that without being told to by some "man"??

Also, what did Roy mean by "...I'm from the mountains..." and "if we were on the playground..." was that a suggestion that he would challenge the guy to a fight?? Not sure what to take from that exchange.

Roy'd Rage is no laughing matter. I have a tarhole friend that likes to say that K is a mean man, but K looks like Mother Teresa beside Ol' Huck.

_Gary
12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Also, what did Roy mean by "...I'm from the mountains..." and "if we were on the playground..." was that a suggestion that he would challenge the guy to a fight??

That's absolutely how I took it and it just added to an already embarrassing and pathetic situation. I'm sorry, but at this point I think Roy Williams is just a real jerk.

natedog4ever
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Also, what did Roy mean by "...I'm from the mountains..." and "if we were on the playground..." was that a suggestion that he would challenge the guy to a fight?? Not sure what to take from that exchange.

That is also the way Jay Bilas interpreted the statement.

uncwdevil
12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
That is also the way Jay Bilas interpreted the statement.

That comment was only after his lame attempt at humor by responding that the fan was asking him out for ice cream after the game. He made a mistake and was trying to use humor to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal.

By the way, where did Jay Bilas share his feelings on this incident? I haven't seen that yet.

johnb
12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't go too hard on ol' Roy; he can't control it:

http://narcissisticpersonalitydisorder.org/

jesus_hurley
12-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't go too hard on ol' Roy; he can't control it:

http://narcissisticpersonalitydisorder.org/

"in short, it stems from an unshakable belief that they can do no wrong."

Yep, Ol' Roy to a T

natedog4ever
12-15-2009, 01:37 PM
By the way, where did Jay Bilas share his feelings on this incident? I haven't seen that yet.

He appeared on sports radio here in the triangle yesterday and was asked to share his thoughts. Overall, that seemed to be the only thing he really had a problem with.

One popular opinion on the radio seems to be that Alpha Hound was trying to send a messge to the UNC fans - why can he even hear that guy and if the seat was open, why did a non-heel fan end up there?

My personal opinion is that his temper got the better of him and there was no veiled "message to the fans".

jesus_hurley
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Bomani Jones was on 620 this morning and even he called Roy out on it. I was a little surprised when I heard that. He went on to mention that as rough as it'll be at Cameron, MD would be worse since the fans there are not quite as classy. And more inclined to throw stuff.

UrinalCake
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM

He was speaking within the context of saying negative things to the players. I think what he was trying to say is that you can say those types of things on the playground, but not at a game in the Smith Center.

I'm not saying this statement makes any more sense, but that's how I interpreted it FWIW.

oldnavy
12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
He appeared on sports radio here in the triangle yesterday and was asked to share his thoughts. Overall, that seemed to be the only thing he really had a problem with.

One popular opinion on the radio seems to be that Alpha Hound was trying to send a messge to the UNC fans - why can he even hear that guy and if the seat was open, why did a non-heel fan end up there?

My personal opinion is that his temper got the better of him and there was no veiled "message to the fans".

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone spun this to be an attempt by Roy to do something for the greater good vice him not having the common sense to ignore someone as benign as a PC heckler.

It is really fun to hear the excuses being made for him by his followers. This explanation in particular is laughable. Why would he need to send a veiled message to the fans by making a fool of himself? Why not do what K has done on several occasions, and communicate directly with the fan base and TELL them that he expects more support, or less roguish behavior? It's not that hard to do.

Like someone else said, the shine is coming off ol Roy. What with the Roe incident, and now this, finally folks outside the triangle and ACC are seeing what a dork he really is.

oldnavy
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
He was speaking within the context of saying negative things to the players. I think what he was trying to say is that you can say those types of things on the playground, but not at a game in the Smith Center.

I'm not saying this statement makes any more sense, but that's how I interpreted it FWIW.

Maybe, but like you said, it still doesn't make a lot of sense and was not funny at all if that was his goal. It might make sense if the PC fan had been yelling things about Deon's family or even Deon himself, but "miss it"?

natedog4ever
12-15-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm from the mountains! I'm a man!

oldnavy
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm from the mountains! I'm a man!

He's from the mountains, he's a DORK! :D

Duke of Nashville
12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Ah....I love it.

I can picture the crazies now...

Plaid Shirts, Suspenders, fake beards...ah la Paul Bunyan style.

Deon Thompson at the line shooting two...

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh................

The choosen one screams out, "Miss it Deon!"

hehe

natedog4ever
12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Guys, I hate to keep piling on (not), but according to the local radio guys over the last couple of days, that sling he's wearing is actually Vera Bradley.

There has to be something that the crazies can do with that. I guess it will probably be off by then, but still . . .

Kfan4Life
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM
I've been laughing about this all day again. Who is saying he was trying to send a message to the fanbase? Give me a break.

stickdog
12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Victim of Roy'd Rage Calls UNC SID a Liar (http://www.raleigh3.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=2910&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2724&hn=raleigh3&he=.com)

"We were having a good time at the game watching my little team get whipped by mighty UNC. I also was absolutely not intoxicated. Initially I wasn't really upset, more dumbfounded by the situation until I read [UNC SI Director] Kirschner's spin. That is absolutely wrong to say those false things about me and to lie about what Coach Williams told his guys to do. Look at the video. Kirschner is lying about what Coach Williams instructed his goons to do."

sagegrouse
12-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Victim of Roy'd Rage Calls UNC SID a Liar (http://www.raleigh3.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=2910&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2724&hn=raleigh3&he=.com)

"We were having a good time at the game watching my little team get whipped by mighty UNC. I also was absolutely not intoxicated. Initially I wasn't really upset, more dumbfounded by the situation until I read [UNC SI Director] Kirschner's spin. That is absolutely wrong to say those false things about me and to lie about what Coach Williams told his guys to do. Look at the video. Kirschner is lying about what Coach Williams instructed his goons to do."

The great thing about the episode is we will still be laughing about it in five years!

sagegrouse

SlimSlowSlider
12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
this excerpt from an email i received from a good friend of mine (and UNC grad):

the husband of my sister-in-laws best friend got booted from the Carolina - Presbyterian College hoops game on Saturday. ... anyhow, despite all the claims about him being hammered and uncooperative to the po po, i have it on very firm authority (albeit 2nd hand via my sister-in-law), he was stone cold sober and any delay of him not immediately reacting to the cops was solely because he didn't think they were speaking to him and was shocked he was getting an escort out of the building

sleepybear
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
This has been the best Christmas gift. Thank you Roy. I may have to send him a card.

Does anyone think that the commentators for the UT v UNC game thise weekend will mention the incident?

moonpie23
12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
just wait till CLEMSONFAN is back in the dean dome...

Kedsy
12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Does anyone think that the commentators for the UT v UNC game thise weekend will mention the incident?

Does anyone think they won't?

Wheat/"/"/"
12-15-2009, 05:54 PM
The great thing about the episode is we will still be laughing about it in five years!

sagegrouse

Good point. I know I will be.

I hope the Crazies really do something with this whole deal too. It's been a long time since we have had the opportunity to see them be creative with something and I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. The pressure is on Crazies!

BTW, here is some of Roy's take on the incident from his radio show...have fun :)

.RW-.." Just to tell you in my opinion what happened… Let me give you some background first. In New York City, when we played Ohio State, it was the absolute worst scenario that I’ve ever had to put up with.

“A couple of guys about 10 feet from our bench screamed and yelled at us all night long. Yelled at our players and would say, ‘Deon Thompson – you stink.’ But they didn’t use the word ‘stink.’ Or ‘Dexter Strickland – you stink,’ but they didn’t use the word ‘stink.’ We had to listen to that garbage all night long and we had two different parents that sort of got a little disappointed, a little upset, could have gotten into a confrontation. The security guards did absolutely nothing and it really ticked me off. So I said, ‘I know we have to put up with that on the road, let’s just go.’ We didn’t say anything. Joe Holladay was sitting two or three feet from the guy, but we didn’t say anything whatsoever.

“Saturday night, all of a sudden, some guy stands up and starts yelling at Deon and it came from behind our bench. And you know how when some things happen, you instantly think of something? My first thought was, ‘Now our parents are having to listen to somebody else, and it’s in our own building.’ And so I turned around and I said, ‘Who said that?’ And about 40-50-60-70-80 people started pointing up at this guy. The guy gets up and starts gyrating with his arms and everything like, ‘Yeah, it was me,’ and that kind of thing. And it really did tick me off. I turned and said something to the ushers behind the bench and they started up through there, and I turned around and coached the game. I have no idea what happened. I never turned around to the guy again.

“But my feeling was immediately that our parents who sit right behind our bench have to put up with that stuff again in our own building. So that was it. And after the game, they told me that they had escorted the young man out. Supposedly what had happened was they had asked him for his ticket and he didn’t have a ticket or wasn’t supposed to be sitting in that seat. Supposedly, and I want to emphasis the word supposedly, he didn’t cooperate as much as they wanted, and they chose to take him out.

“Am I disappointed in the whole thing? Yeah, I’m disappointed that it happened. I’m disappointed that I even reacted to it. But again, in our own building, I don’t think that parents ought to have to listen to somebody chastising their son. And whether that’s right or wrong, that’s the way I am. If it’s wrong, it’s wrong. I hate that it happened. I wish that it never happened. Evidently, people have been getting after us all day [on Monday] or getting after me all day. But I tell you what, if that’s the only thing they’ve got to get after me about, I’m a happy young man… If I'm wrong,then that's good, but I'm not apologizing".

stickdog
12-15-2009, 06:10 PM
textbook unremorseful abuse of power

Roy is sorry UNC, er, Roy is taking heat for clearly overreacting and abusing his power.

Roy is not sorry he clearly overreacted and abused his power.

DukieInKansas
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Dear Roy,

There is a big difference between someone saying ‘Deon Thompson – you stink.’ But they didn’t use the word ‘stink.’ and "Deon, miss it". I can certainly understand a parent not wanting to listen to the first all night. I have a hard time picturing a parent getting too upset with the latter. As the game was pretty much over, based on the score, the remark should have just generated a few grins.

Sincerely,

DukieInKansas

Wheat/"/"/"
12-15-2009, 06:26 PM
textbook unremorseful abuse of power

Roy is sorry UNC, er, Roy is taking heat for clearly overreacting and abusing his power.

Roy is not sorry he clearly overreacted and abused his power.

Powerful people do powerful things :D

The good news is that Deon will likely get to the line quite a bit in Cameron.

shoutingncu
12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
'...and it’s in our own building.’

At least he said "our" this time. And not a single third person reference to himself... Progress, right?

Wheat/"/"/"
12-15-2009, 06:42 PM
At least he said "our" this time. And not a single third person reference to himself... Progress, right?

Baby steps...baby steps...:)

Duke4Ever32
12-15-2009, 06:54 PM
“Saturday night, all of a sudden, some guy stands up and starts yelling at Deon and it came from behind our bench. And you know how when some things happen, you instantly think of something? My first thought was, ‘Now our parents are having to listen to somebody else, and it’s in our own building.’ And so I turned around and I said, ‘Who said that?’ And about 40-50-60-70-80 people started pointing up at this guy. The guy gets up and starts gyrating with his arms and everything like, ‘Yeah, it was me,’ and that kind of thing. And it really did tick me off. I turned and said something to the ushers behind the bench and they started up through there, and I turned around and coached the game. I have no idea what happened. I never turned around to the guy again.

I find it VERY interesting that despite being rather descriptive in the rest of his remarks, when discussing what he said to the ushers Roy chose to say only that he "said something to the ushers behind the bench" as opposed to telling us what it was he actually said to them. I'm pretty sure if he had said anything other than "toss that guy outta here", or words to that equivalent, he would have stated what he actually said both to make himself look better and deflect the idea that he asked for the guy to be removed as opposed to merely asking the ushers to check the guy out and/or see if he had a ticket for that seat, as has been reported. The fact that he decided not to state what he actually told the ushers speaks volumes.

natedog4ever
12-15-2009, 07:01 PM
The good news is that Deon will likely get to the line quite a bit in Cameron.

You better hope he does. He and TWhere? are the only ones that can hit the broad side of a barn from the line.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-15-2009, 07:42 PM
You better hope he does. He and TWhere? are the only ones that can hit the broad side of a barn from the line.

That's true, it's definately a weakness...

Wheat/"/"/"
12-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I find it VERY interesting that despite being rather descriptive in the rest of his remarks, when discussing what he said to the ushers Roy chose to say only that he "said something to the ushers behind the bench" as opposed to telling us what it was he actually said to them. I'm pretty sure if he had said anything other than "toss that guy outta here", or words to that equivalent, he would have stated what he actually said both to make himself look better and deflect the idea that he asked for the guy to be removed as opposed to merely asking the ushers to check the guy out and/or see if he had a ticket for that seat, as has been reported. The fact that he decided not to state what he actually told the ushers speaks volumes.

I picked up on that too...

oldnavy
12-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I picked up on that while in NYC when a fan or fans were being way more abusive and vulgar, Roy "chose" not to say anything.... hummm? Only in the comfy confines of the DD surround by his peeps did he all of a sudden find the "courage" to take a stand for his players and their evidently helpless parents!

Roy Williams is a small man in a position that comes with a certain amount of power and authority. Unfortunately for him and the holes he doesn't have the character to handle the associated responsibility with the class and dignity his position deserves.

roywhite
12-15-2009, 10:52 PM
I picked up on that while in NYC when a fan or fans were being way more abusive and vulgar, Roy "chose" not to say anything.... hummm? Only in the comfy confines of the DD surround by his peeps did he all of a sudden find the "courage" to take a stand for his players and their evidently helpless parents!

Roy Williams is a small man in a position that comes with a certain amount of power and authority. Unfortunately for him and the holes he doesn't have the character to handle the associated responsibility with the class and dignity his position deserves.

Roy brought these troubles on himself, and I don't mind piling on, particularly as he and his minions try to whisk this incident away.

I think I'd describe him overall as a very successful, driven guy who cares about his players and associates. He's got some flaws which surface occasionally and serve to diminish his good points. He's the type of character that a good novelist might create and use well, with plenty of suspense about his ultimate fate and reputation.

Farlan
12-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Just heard a postgame room interview with Andre after the GW win talking about how nice everyone has been with friends and alumni sending notes to him and he made a point of saying that Coach Roy Williams even sent flowers.

davekay1971
12-16-2009, 09:05 AM
I picked up on that while in NYC when a fan or fans were being way more abusive and vulgar, Roy "chose" not to say anything.... hummm? Only in the comfy confines of the DD surround by his peeps did he all of a sudden find the "courage" to take a stand for his players and their evidently helpless parents!.

To be fair to Roy (even thought I think he was way out of line with this whole thing) his point was that he objected to someone cheering against his team in the Dean Dome. Still completely stupid, of course.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-16-2009, 09:41 AM
To be fair to Roy (even thought I think he was way out of line with this whole thing) his point was that he objected to someone cheering against his team in the Dean Dome. Still completely stupid, of course.

Or we could look at his "crime" as being a tad over protective of the parents of his players.

DukeUsul
12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Or we could look at his "crime" as being a tad over protective of the parents of his players.

A tad? They shouldn't hear an opposing fan express his desire for their son to miss a free throw? Yeah. Just a tad.

BlueDevilCorvette!
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Just heard a postgame room interview with Andre after the GW win talking about how nice everyone has been with friends and alumni sending notes to him and he made a point of saying that Coach Roy Williams even sent flowers.

That was a very humanitarian gesture on Coach Roy Williams part. Again, there are certain elements in life beyond basketball and showing compassion towards others outside the realm of athletics is highly commendable. We root against our rivals but if you cut them, they will bleed just like us.

rasputin
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
What I don't get is Huck's reference to "chastising" a UNC player. Is "miss it" supposed to be "chastising"? Sheesh.

oldnavy
12-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Why would Roy need to “protect” anyone? Are the fans and parents of the players so weak they need protection? I understand defending someone if they are called out unfairly in the media or whatnot, but if he is going to try to protect the players, fans and alumni from “negative” comments he is in for a miserable existence.

The armchair psychoanalyst in me says that Roy is insecure and not comfortable in his own skin. He seems to want to be a lovable, good ol boy and at times can pull it off, but then at other times he shows what he is really like.

I think in this situation, Roy most likely was angry that the crowd was sparse and quite. He may have been harboring some latent guilt for not calling out the OSU fans when they upset him in NYC. So when he heard the PC fan utter those horrible words "miss it" he flew into Roy'd Rage. Now he is embarrassed by it, but his pride won't let him admit that, hence the cover story...

whereinthehellami
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM

The flowers are a good PR move. The "King incident" and the "Delvon Roe misstep" are cracks in the projected persona that Roy puts forward. IMO Roy has some real issues broiling not far under the surface. Roy is also getting more brazen in his own defense. I love the UNC spin that is coming from these public blunders. Roy is making them WORK!! Its hard to sit up on a stool, eating cheese, and drinking the fine wine when your coach is publicly picking fights with teenagers. I mean what is next Roy? Taking candy form babies? How does a bully feed himself?

-bdbd
12-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Or, more likely, someone from his large staff of admin assistants and aides thought of it and sent them in Huck's name. Just being realistic. Still a decent jesture whoever at the North Carolina University at Chapel Hill campus sent them.

But don't lose momentum here, lest we forget this is the same guy who practices negative recruiting against Duke, attacks K through his media show as "needs to worry about his own **** team" (when K was demonstrably misquoted by a Carolina media member as being critical of the Heeeels strategy - did I somehow miss Williams' public apology for that screw-up -- not!) and who throws out fans who dare to (politely) root against his team -- no way in heck do I buy the "being protective" excuse. Look at the video again -- does he look at parents and players defenively/apologetically, or does he spin around with daggers in his eyes and immediately launch into attack mode on that heinous interloper?? He was annoyed/pissed, pure and simple, and did what all bullies do when they get pissed...

BTW, if Huck gets credit for his staff sending flowers, doesn't he likewise own the blame of his "overzealous" minions dragging the poor kid out of the stands by his collar, and then the AAD assaulting/lying about the kids character and "drunken" behavior? That character assassination, to me, is as bad as the original sin by Williams directly. And like I said, Huck gets to "own" the actions of those acting on his behalf - good or bad.

:mad:

allenmurray
12-16-2009, 02:24 PM
. . .that he could fix it all with five words. I was wrong. I apologize.

but we will never hear them.

CDu
12-16-2009, 02:50 PM
. . .that he could fix it all with five words. I was wrong. I apologize.

but we will never hear them.

Exactly. He overreacted to the fact that his home fan base was being so quiet that you could clearly hear an opposing team's fan cheer against the Heels. His competitiveness and temper got the best of him and he made a dumb mistake in judgment. Had he simply apologized for clearly overreacting and acting in an inappropriate manner, people will forgive. But his pride and ego aren't letting that happen.

davekay1971
12-16-2009, 03:44 PM

The problem is not his being protective. What he did was simple bullying. The guy ticked him off, Roy flexed his muscle and showed the guy who's boss in the Roy...er...Dean Dome. Frankly, combined with his repeated attacks on Roe, it's starting to look like a pattern of bullying. Two times isn't a pattern. Three...well, we'll see what stunt Roy pulls next.

I still think what Kirschner did was far worse. Roy got all ticked off and did something dumb. Kirschner attacked a guy's character in a cold-blooded fashion.

Addendum: I should clarify that I'm not concluding that Roy is a bully. He may be, but two incidents in a long career don't justify that conclusion. However, both incidents appear to be bullying in that you have one of the most powerful guys in college basketball picking on (1) a recruit and (2) a completely innocuous looking fan of a little bitty team. America loves a rags to riches success story (ie: good ol' country boy makes it big as a basketball coach of one of America's most successful and popular programs). America hates a bully. If Roy cares about whether he's viewed as a hero or villian, he needs to be careful.

CDu
12-16-2009, 03:52 PM
The problem is not his being protective. What he did was simple bullying. The guy ticked him off, Roy flexed his muscle and showed the guy who's boss in the Roy...er...Dean Dome. Frankly, combined with his repeated attacks on Roe, it's starting to look like a pattern of bullying. Two times isn't a pattern. Three...well, we'll see what stunt Roy pulls next.

I still think what Kirschner did was far worse. Roy got all ticked off and did something dumb. Kirschner attacked a guy's character in a cold-blooded fashion.

Addendum: I should clarify that I'm not concluding that Roy is a bully. He may be, but two incidents in a long career don't justify that conclusion. However, both incidents appear to be bullying in that you have one of the most powerful guys in college basketball picking on (1) a recruit and (2) a completely innocuous looking fan of a little bitty team. America loves a rags to riches success story (ie: good ol' country boy makes it big as a basketball coach of one of America's most successful and popular programs). America hates a bully. If Roy cares about whether he's viewed as a hero or villian, he needs to be careful.

I agree. What Williams did was petulant and silly. His failure to own up to that and simply apologize is stubbornness. But the "coverup" story by Kirschner is definitely worse.

Duke4Ever32
12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Why are people making such a big deal over how quiet the UNC fans were such that King could even be heard? I didn't think the home crowd normally made noise when one of their players was at the line?!? The Crazies don't make noise when Duke players are shooting free throws, right?? No comprende.

davidson
12-16-2009, 04:21 PM
There are probably better t-shirts to come, but here is one from what appears to be a State fan:

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/youre_gunna_miss_tshirt-235191346219833947

Duke Parent 06
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Are the ownership of the seats fact or speculation? Nonetheless, the point does appear to be the fact that there was atleast one very G-rated taunt which has been made into a bit of spectacle.

Let's say this was in fact Roy's seat that someone mistakenly gave up to an opposing fan or was taken by an opposing fan. The fact we know is that this fan said A non-vulgar, very simple taunt with 6:25 left in the game which had long been decided. Roy points back up and very clearly in the video tells him to "shut up, I'm talking to you". Given what we all know to be fact and what you have stated about the possible ticket situation, it still appears very odd. It is difficult to see how he couldn't possibly deserve some heat for this.

So if a Duke fan receives a ticket purchased by K for a Duke/UNC game at the Dean Dome, and that fan loses his seat to a UNC fan who likes to inform the Duke team that they suck, shouldn't Roy dismiss that UNC fan too? Does K get to? Now that we have the precedent that no negativity is allowed in the Dean Dome, especially from privileged seats, this just seems fair.

I wasn't aware that the "friends and family" section of the Dean Dome runs 20 rows deep, because that is where this kid was reportedly sitting.

oldnavy
12-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Why are people making such a big deal over how quiet the UNC fans were such that King could even be heard? I didn't think the home crowd normally made noise when one of their players was at the line?!? The Crazies don't make noise when Duke players are shooting free throws, right?? No comprende.

The DD is notoriously quite for games against lesser opponents. You can hear sneakers squeek most of the time. I don't think the issue is the lack of noise when Deon was shooting, but rather the fact that there was no audible difference between when he was shooting or when they were running their offense...

Duke4Ever32
12-16-2009, 08:18 PM
The DD is notoriously quite for games against lesser opponents. You can hear sneakers squeek most of the time. I don't think the issue is the lack of noise when Deon was shooting, but rather the fact that there was no audible difference between when he was shooting or when they were running their offense...

I know how the Dean Dome is...I went to law school at UNC (am a Duke fan from prior to that, though) and spent 3 years going to all of their games there. What I don't understand is how people are acting like this whole thing never would have happened in Cameron or elsewhere because you wouldn't have been able to hear the guy. I don't see how that's so, because usually fans are quiet when the home team shoots free throws no matter where you are, so no matter how loud they were or weren't the rest of the time, you still would have heard King when the free throws were being shot.

roywhite
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I know how the Dean Dome is...I went to law school at UNC (am a Duke fan from prior to that, though) and spent 3 years going to all of their games there. What I don't understand is how people are acting like this whole thing never would have happened in Cameron or elsewhere because you wouldn't have been able to hear the guy. I don't see how that's so, because usually fans are quiet when the home team shoots free throws no matter where you are, so no matter how loud they were or weren't the rest of the time, you still would have heard King when the free throws were being shot.

So it's not an unusual situation at all, is that what you're saying? I've been in Cameron and heard opposing fans yell something during a quiet period.

Yet I can't recall a head coach making a big deal out of it like Roy Williams did. And then having the SID and others make some lame excuses. Pretty bad.

MarkD83
12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
When my son was 10 I got tickets to the Duke-VT game in Cameron. At the time my son was a VT fan (he still is for football, but has seen the dark blue side for basketball). JJ Redick was shooting free throws and it was very quite until my son yelled "miss it". JJ missed 3 free thrpws when my son did this. The only comments from the fans around us were some humorous comments about how I had to be a better parent. None of the comments were malicious.

Duke did win by 30+ and Greenberg was tossed from the game, so it all turned out well in the end.

(Can't seem to change the spelling in the title sorry about that.)

billy
12-16-2009, 11:16 PM
So it's not an unusual situation at all, is that what you're saying? I've been in Cameron and heard opposing fans yell something during a quiet period.

I wonder if it's not too quiet in Cameron when Duke shoots free-throws. That's one of the few times you can hear opposing fans. I doubt it matters a lot to our shooters, but one or two opposing fans always seem to yell loudly when the rest of Cameron is quiet during free throws and I always wish there was a bit more "white noise" or at least a sustained clap or something to drown them out.

-jk
12-16-2009, 11:25 PM
I seem to recall JJ wanted us to make some noise during free throws...

-jk