PDA

View Full Version : What's your expertise?

bird
04-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Let us try a thread where readers can try to summarize a true personal expertise or two that they have, regardless of source (academic, professional, or hobby, for example). Mine are going to be boring and narrow, so I hope other, more interesting folks will chime in. Here goes:

1. Legal liability issues arising from a common automobile sales practice known as "spot delivery." Spot delivery is when a dealer is arranging financing for a sale, but delivers the vehicle "on the spot" to the customer before financing is approved. Problems and lawsuits arise when financing falls through, and the dealer wants the car back.

2. Identification of common Warbler species by song, particularly identification based on an incomplete song, a note or two.

Channing
04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
(1) Tax Law, corporate or state and local (still working on it, heading to get an LLM next year)

(2) Atlanta Braves Baseball 1991 - present

Windsor
04-30-2007, 03:53 PM
1. Software development, particularly user interfaces for data entry intensive applications

2. Dog training - mostly agility but also obedience (as if my default photo wasn't a dead giveaway)

allenmurray
04-30-2007, 05:04 PM
1. Coaching 8 - year old Little League Baseball.

2. Making authentic gumbo.

There are some professional things that I'm considered to be pretty good at, but in terms of real-world importance they pale in comparison to the above two.

rthomas
04-30-2007, 05:10 PM
1. plants

2. gin

MarineTwinsDad
04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
1. Third world literacy, especially in remote areas with smaller language groups. The language doesn't have to have been written down, but it helps if the people believe that reading isn't demonic. It does take ten years or so to really get things going well, before I can turn the program completely over to the people.

2. My favorite activity, by far, is simply being proud of my twin sons, both in the Marine Corps, one a flight crew chief at New River, the other in the Reserves while working his way through college. They turn 20 in May, after two years in the USMC.

DevilAlumna
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Expertise is probably a stronger word than I'd use -- but I'm passionate about:

* All things tech-gadgety, particularly involving Windows Mobile devices;

* Bulldogs;

* SCUBA;

* Duke!

wilson
04-30-2007, 07:25 PM
- 17th-century colonialism (especially English New World)
- Spades (card game)
- Cartoons (especially the evolution of Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, and Elmer Fudd)
- Crossword puzzles

dukestheheat
04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
this may read out as a little superficial, but here goes, and i'm sorry if anyone is let down by the simplicity inherent to these statements of 'expertise', but true they are:

1) Sailing, (and soon to be kiteboarding if i don't kill myself first, probably in front of A LOT of people),

2) Investing, and

3) Looking at bikinis on the beach (just being totally honest)

dth.

hurleyfor3
04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
(2) Atlanta Braves Baseball 1991 - present

Of course baseball didn't exist before bobby cox invented it in 1991, right?

Channing
04-30-2007, 10:15 PM

baseball did, but I didnt really start following baseball intently until I was 9 years old. Sorry :)

JasonEvans
05-01-2007, 08:37 AM
1. Coaching 8 - year old Little League Baseball.

That is so funny, I was going to list coaching 7 & 10-year old baseball/soccer as my specialities.

Most folks know I do journalism/news as a profession. I am also an entertainment/sports/pop culture trivia nut. If I ever get on that VH1 World Series of Pop Culture show, I'm taking first place ;)

-Jason "I haev been the phone-a-friend person for a couple folks who have been on Millionaire, but I've never gotten the call" Evans

JasonEvans
05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
- Spades (card game)

Wilson, if you play Spades do you also play Bridge? I find Bridge to be a far superior and challenging game to Spades or Hearts. It takes a while to learn how to play it properly (especially the bidding-- even rudimentary bidding requires a lot of knowledge), but once you have you will not regret it.

--Jason "my oldest son has fallen in love with Bridge, though I fear the game is dying out" Evans

feldspar
05-01-2007, 09:30 AM
1) Basketball rules and officiating

That's about it.

Bostondevil
05-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Here's my list

1) All things theater. I'm a playwright myself and I've run a new play development group (Shadow Boxing Theatre Workshop) for the past 6 years. In addition to writing, I produce, direct, and on occasion, act. I also read scripts for more than one local theater company. Any Boston area folks want to come see my latest directing effort, next weekend at the Devanaughn, the Dragonfly Festival, http://www.devtheatre.com. The two I'm directing are first weekend, May 10-13.

2) Knitting.

3) I'm a pretty good card player, Bridge, gin, spades, you name it. OK, I've only played poker once but I was the big winner that night. And now, thanks to all the poker on TV, I know that a flush beats a straight.

ETA: Jason, my oldest son plays Bridge too. Too bad we can't get them together.

wilson
05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Wilson, if you play Spades do you also play Bridge? I find Bridge to be a far superior and challenging game to Spades or Hearts. It takes a while to learn how to play it properly (especially the bidding-- evenrudimentary bidding requires a lot of knowledge), but once you have you will not regret it.

--Jason "my oldest son has fallen in love with Bridge, though I fear the game is dying out" Evans

My dad has a bridge club that plays every two weeks, and I have been observing them for a number of years now. I have already informed him that, upon my return to Atlanta (in two days!), I want in the club as an alternate player. I am working on how to bid right now. I have been playing spades for long enough that I know I will be good with some practice and a better command of how bridge scoring works. I hope to be someone who helps keep the game from dying out.

riverside6
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll bite...

1. Web Application Development (my latest site (http://www.dcpronline.com/demos/ipy))
2. Coaching baseball (North Wake Baseball Assoc - Go Cardinals!)
3. I'm a stathead through and through, as evident by my ACC Fantasy Basketball (http://www.scacchoops.com) Website.
4. Cubs Minor League System (http://www.mvn.com/milb-cubs)

I have too many websites!

CMS2478
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't call myself an expert but I enjoy:

1) Braves Baseball

2) Texas Hold'em

3) UFC

JasonEvans
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Jason, my oldest son plays Bridge too. Too bad we can't get them together.

When my 10-year-old came home the other day and said, "Daddy, we learned Jacoby Transfers today" it brought a tear to my eye :D

-Jason

MrBisonDevil
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
* Developing & drawing new superheroes w/ interesting super powers (usually in corporate meetings).

* Financial modeling and creativity

* Inventing new drinks with Vodka

* Dancing

* Spades, Tonk & Bid Whist (all with the accompanied trash talking)

rsvman
05-01-2007, 12:20 PM
1. Respiratory viruses, including basic and clinical aspects, vaccines, culturing methods, treatments, preventions, etc., etc., etc.

2. HIV and AIDS, diagnosis, treatment, prevention, etc.

3. Music composition, especially choral.

4. Choral conducting.

wilson
05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Forgot to mention another thing:

I know entirely too much about the Grateful Dead.

The Gordog
05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
1. Mortgage Loan Data, how to deliver it to Freddie Mac, and the impact of variations in said data to the accuracy of our financial reporting.

2. Tolkien's Universe.

3. Italian food & wine.

wiscodevil
05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
1. Make the greatest brownies in the world
2. hugging my 16 mo. old son
3. scrabble and rumikub
4. planning and researching vacations

and on the flip side, areas of ineptitude, include, but are not limited to:
1. cars and how they work
2. being handy around the house
3. handling matters of health insurance

DUKIECB
05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Here is my not so important list of things I know too much about:

1) Rollercoasters--I am a rollercoaster and thrillride nut having traveled pretty much anywhere I can just to ride a certain coaster. In particular, my favorite coaster designer is a company from Switzerland called B & M (Bolliger & Mabillard) which make the smoothest and most unbelievable steel rollercoasters in the world.

2) Sports junkie in general, however I too have a huge interest in the Braves, only missing a few games each year on the tube.

Bostondevil
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Jason "I haev been the phone-a-friend person for a couple folks who have been on Millionaire, but I've never gotten the call" Evans

Where were you when I was actually on the show?!

My phone a friend, my husband, sadly did not know the answer and I went down guessing at $32,000. Don't regret taking a guess though. Do regret getting a current events question I couldn't answer. ;-)

Life is not fair, the person before me got "Who invented biofocals?" for her $32,000 question and if I'd been one person later, I would have won a half million, without using a lifeline, sigh.

Forgot trivial knowledge as one of my areas of expertise, just not current events so much.

Oh, silly nerdy hobby, I can say "I love you" in 45 different languages, give or take.

wilson
05-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Where were you when I was actually on the show?!

My phone a friend, my husband, sadly did not know the answer and I went down guessing at $32,000. Don't regret taking a guess though. Do regret getting a current events question I couldn't answer. ;-)

Life is not fair, the person before me got "Who invented biofocals?" for her $32,000 question and if I'd been one person later, I would have won a half million, without using a lifeline, sigh.

Forgot trivial knowledge as one of my areas of expertise, just not current events so much.

Oh, silly nerdy hobby, I can say "I love you" in 45 different languages, give or take.

I'm gunning for Jeopardy in the near future...second-round audition on May 20. Sadly, Trebek allows no lifelines.

devil84
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Don't know if this falls under expertise or obsessions, but here goes:

1) Visual FoxPro and automating Microsoft Office from Visual FoxPro and other languages.

2) Band Parent, specializing in listening to the percussion section.

3) Duke Basketball

Exiled_Devil
05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know about expertise (for reasons apparent in a moment) but here are things I know a lot about:

1. Adult Learning theory/corporate education - I am currently earning my doctorate in this, and have done extensive research in: Learning theory, communities of practice, informal learning at work, the nature of expertise and how experts learn, experiential learning, and social network analysis.

2. I'd call myself a low-level Fanboy, meaning I have a solid grasp on all things comic-book, fantasy and science fiction. (with a very deliberate gap in the Star Trek area).

3. Teaching strategy, leadership and coaching skills to managers and executives.

4. I have become the 'tech guy' for my family and friends, but it is more due to knowing 10% more than them and also #8 below.

5. Game design, learning theory and the intersection of the two - specifically how to design f2f and video games for training programs.

6. My wife says I 'know something about everything' - it may not be significant, but it isn't always trivial either.

7. Chen style taiji - I may not have expertise, but I have 5 years of practice in it and I really wan to have expertse.

8. I am a master at the Google. I can find more in-depth information about any given topic twice as fast as my friends and colleagues.

Exiled

DukeUsul
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I have no expertise, I'm a consultant.

No seriously, I'm not an expert at anything. I'm one of those kinda good at everything, not an expert at anything guys.

So what am I at least somewhat good at or know a bit about?

- jazz saxophone
- Frank Herbert's Dune novels (hence the name)
- all things computery
- whisky

captmojo
05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I cook a mean ribeye steak. So good, as a matter of fact, we haven't been out to restaurants in a very long time and I'm requested to cook for others.

Pretty handy at freshwater fishing as well.

Anything else I know just enough to get in trouble.

Jarhead
05-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Wait a minute... Bobby Cox had a guy named Joe Torre as a predecessor. What were they playing then? Cricket?

Jarhead
05-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Take it from me, a Marine parent deserves the praise of all of us. Ooo-Rah, Marine Corps. Keep up the good work.

tecumseh
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
1) Eye stuff

2) Exercise stuff especially swimming and cycling

3) General Health Stuff speaking of which there is a pretty cool site
http://www.livingto100.com/

hurleyfor3
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Serving as a warning to others.

left_hook_lacey
07-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Lean Manufacturing: I have been studying lean methodologies and Six Sigma for the past 5 years. I received Black Belt certification after completing two successful projects that saved my company $200k+/year. It has become so ingrained into my thinking that I can't go anywhere without seeing waste in how someone is operating their business, or training employees. I marvel at places that get it right, and loathe places that are literally hemorrhaging money in the form of waste. My favorite days at work are when I find the root-cause of a major scrap issue and it's something as simple as a worn bolt, but no one believes that could've been the problem but I have the data to prove it. Bolt gets changed, scrap goes down, I win. Love it. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I'm getting better at it all the time and it's starting to become second nature. It's almost a blessing and a curse. Sometimes I feel like Superman when he flies into the atmosphere closes his eyes and can hear every crisis on earth. He then has to decide what is the most important crisis to handle first.

Reilly
07-18-2017, 02:25 PM
... I can't go anywhere without seeing waste in how someone is operating their business ... I feel like Superman when he flies into the atmosphere closes his eyes and can hear every crisis on earth. He then has to decide what is the most important crisis to handle first.

I think there are a lot of people with that same skillset in the minutes distribution thread.

CDu
07-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Things I am an expert in:
1. Decision-analytic and economic modelling, especially in the health care and pharmaceutical sector.
2. Chicago sports
3. Simple math
4. Annoying my wife

Things I suck at:
1. Keeping up with friends long-distance
2. Sleeping
3. lawn care/maintenance
4. listing all the stuff I suck at

duke79
07-18-2017, 03:48 PM
I cook a mean ribeye steak. So good, as a matter of fact, we haven't been out to restaurants in a very long time and I'm requested to cook for others.

Pretty handy at freshwater fishing as well.

Anything else I know just enough to get in trouble.

What's your secret, if you don't mind sharing? I'm the world's worst "griller" of meats. I can destroy even the choicest cut of meat.

duke79
07-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Things I am an expert in:
1. Decision-analytic and economic modelling, especially in the health care and pharmaceutical sector.
2. Chicago sports
3. Simple math
4. Annoying my wife

Things I suck at:
1. Keeping up with friends long-distance
2. Sleeping
3. lawn care/maintenance
4. listing all the stuff I suck at

Your number 4 would be number 1 on my list of what I excel at (and my wife would definitely agree!). On the other hand, I'm very good with lawn care and maintenance (I excel at mowing straight lines with my John Deere ride-on mower and I'm quite picky about how the yard looks. LOL Unfortunately, not a high paying skill to have in today's society).

In reality, I know a little about many different things. Could probably do quite well on Jeopardy (although I am impressed at how smart and knowledgeable some of the contestants are). I also know a fair amount about the stock market and investments and financial planning (my profession and long-time interest of mine, dating back to my days as an Econ major at Duke). Avid reader of political books and biographies.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-18-2017, 03:58 PM
What's your secret, if you don't mind sharing? I'm the world's worst "griller" of meats. I can destroy even the choicest cut of meat.

There are some thorough threads on grilling methods here somewhere.

Indoor66
07-18-2017, 04:06 PM
There are some thorough threads on grilling methods here somewhere.

There is also some grilling in many threads....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-18-2017, 04:20 PM
there is also some grilling in many threads...

who told you that?! I need names

mgtr
07-18-2017, 04:22 PM
When my 10-year-old came home the other day and said, "Daddy, we learned Jacoby Transfers today" it brought a tear to my eye :D

-Jason

Many moons ago, I played a fair amount of duplicate in Dallas, and occasionally would find my self opposing Oswald Jacoby. Quite disconcerting - he would fan his cards, instantly close them, and then bid. One of the (many) reasons I gave up duplicate.

Mal
07-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Amazing to see a decade long dead thread reincarnated. Kinda glad I didn't contribute anything then, as my expertise at that time was mostly confined to diaper changing and stroller folding.

Professionally, I guess I'd list subscription line credit facilities, U.S. real estate investments for non-U.S. investors, and joint venture negotiation as areas where I'm more knowledgeable than 99 out of 100 lawyers. Boooorriiing.

Outside the office, mildly more interesting, maybe:

- coffee (consumption and general snobbery)
- the trout streams of the far northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, specifically Cheboygan and Emmet Counties
- crossword puzzle solving
- cooking
- Boundary Waters canoe tripping
- music playlist creation
- Tuscan wine
- appreciating choral music (haven't sung in 20+ years, though)

bjornolf
07-18-2017, 06:17 PM
My wife is the queen of Clue!
A couple weeks ago, we were playing Clue at Nags Head for a family game night. We decided to use the beach side of the board since we were... at the beach. We'd never used it before, so we were trying to figure out the extra cards. My wife, my dad, our kids Katie and Michael, and I were playing. So, my wife roles highest and gets to go first. She roles an 11 and goes to the beach location. She says, "Hmmm, I'll go with myself, Miss Scarlet, with the wrench, at the beach." Nobody has it, so she accuses and is correct, thus sending herself away for murder and winning in one turn. HOW INSANE IS THAT?!!!
Has anyone else ever witnessed a one turn game of Clue? Or any board game?

Now when something crazy happens, I just say, "Miss Scarlet, rope, beach" and everyone cracks up.

I'd say my wife has claim to expertise at Clue.

Indoor66
07-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Everything, whadya Think?

YmoBeThere
07-18-2017, 09:13 PM
1. Property and Casualty Insurance products(but not the ins and outs of claims settlement)
2. Pontiacs of the '68 variety in particular Firebirds
3. Buicks of the 1970 intermediate size

OldPhiKap
07-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Not sure I really have any. Common sense and finding the humor in most things are about all I've got.

It is amazing that those two simple traits can make most things better though.

weezie
07-18-2017, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty much talent-free. I can stare down waiters, that's about it.

camion
07-18-2017, 11:59 PM
I'm considered the Mac computer expert at my university where I work in IT though that isn't in my job description. It's a Windows shop at the enterprise level, but more than half of the computers on campus are Macs.

I have numerous league and tournament volleyball trophies which proves I was expert at picking good teammates. I've retired from that now.

I am excellent at being cat furniture in the evening.

YmoBeThere
07-19-2017, 06:04 AM
I am excellent at being cat furniture in the evening.

5 of them in my household. Funny how little creatures less than 1/10 my size run the show.

luburch
07-19-2017, 06:51 AM
1. Drinking beer
2. Euchre
3. Do I really need anything else?

moonpie23
07-19-2017, 08:12 AM
my "expertise" is in music production, audio recording, editing, mixing, and dream assassination.

devildeac
07-19-2017, 09:13 AM
c*rolina bashing/hating

In fact, I'm enshrined with 3 other distinguished (?) DBR colleagues on a nearly famous (mythical) mountain for the above :o;).

OldPhiKap
07-19-2017, 09:23 AM
To quote Warren Zevon:

I'm very well acquainted with the seven deadly sins
I keep a busy schedule, to try and fit them in . . . .

PackMan97
07-19-2017, 09:37 AM
1. Pissing off my wife.
2. Not knowing why or when I pissed off my wife.

It is indeed my best skill.

DukieInKansas
07-19-2017, 10:20 AM
my "expertise" is in music production, audio recording, editing, mixing, and dream assassination.

I'm really good at procrastinating. I have been wanting to find someone to transfer a cassette recording to digital and make it easier to hear. I interviewed Sohn Won-yil, founder of the modern ROK Navy, for a school project. I would like to provide a copy of it to the Korean Government - his life in his own words. I still haven't done this and have been thinking about it for a very long time.

Indoor66
07-19-2017, 10:23 AM
On a more serious note, my best talent may be the ability to give people bad or unwanted news and having them feel OK about it.

cato
07-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Ten's years on (fifteen into practice), I can now nominate myself for the riveting topics of:

1. Commercial leasing

2. Purchase and sale

There have to be other dirt lawyers around here, right?

Bostondevil
07-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Ten years ago I said I was an expert in theater, knitting, and card games.

Yep.

Although I've let the card games slide a little bit. But I'm even more knowledgeable about theatrical matters and the plays of William Shakespeare.

such
07-19-2017, 05:26 PM
For me:

1. Death and dying
2. The lungs

Kinda sounds morbid, but I'm really a fun guy!

Outside the above, and my three little kids, Duke and NBA basketball are my main hobbies.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Crossword puzzles.

ricks68
07-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards every almost every single day.

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards every almost every single day.

ricks

A+++ Would read again

ricks68
07-22-2017, 04:49 PM

ricks

For those that need clarification on my use of the word "almost", and to correct the addition of an extra "every" , I meant to say: "Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards all day long almost every single day." (The "almost" actually refers to the "all day long". So, there were days that I missed following all day, rather than missing days. In addition, my days are defined as: from waking up until going to sleep.):o

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-22-2017, 07:11 PM
For those that need clarification on my use of the word "almost", and to correct the addition of an extra "every" , I meant to say: "Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards all day long almost every single day." (The "almost" actually refers to the "all day long". So, there were days that I missed following all day, rather than missing days. In addition, my days are defined as: from waking up until going to sleep.):o

ricks

Your story sounds familiar. Especially since the advent of these magic squares we all carry in our pockets.

RPS
07-24-2017, 11:14 AM
I'd say my wife has claim to expertise at Clue.
1. Behavioral finance (including differentiating between luck and skill).

2. The Department of Labor's new fiduciary standard rule.

Jeffrey
07-24-2017, 11:44 AM
On a more serious note, my best talent may be the ability to give people bad or unwanted news and having them feel OK about it.

That's a great skill. What are the basic steps?

Indoor66
07-24-2017, 01:40 PM
That's a great skill. What are the basic steps?

Thoughtfulness and understanding applied in large doses.

Jeffrey
07-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Thoughtfulness and understanding applied in large doses.

Hypothetically, how would you do that if the bad news was "you're fired"?

Indoor66
07-24-2017, 03:31 PM

Too many factors to consider to attempt to answer in this type medium.

OldPhiKap
07-24-2017, 05:22 PM

You obviously never gave nor received the "it's not you, it's me" break-up line.

(Probably shouldn't joke. Firing people sucks).

Jeffrey
07-24-2017, 05:45 PM
You obviously never gave nor received the "it's not you, it's me" break-up line.

You're right. I've never said it, but I've tried to receive it (from my Board of Directors). I tried to get shown the door (at age 50), by asking for ludicrous money, but they unanimously paid me, without hesitation. The next time, I'm asking for 2X ludicrous. They're going to breakup with me whether they like it or not. :)

Firing people sucks.

Strongly agree, it's definitely the worst part of my job!

Tripping William
07-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Handling opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Probably only Rich would find this remotely interesting.

At the amateur level, writing beer reviews (Ymmmm), golf course reviews (Fore!), and commentary about Duke basketball. Oh, and serving as a junior golf caddie.

Devilwin
07-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Wildlife. Birds and mammals in particular.

American History.

kexman
08-03-2017, 08:57 PM
1) Survival surgery on fly larva that result in neuronal injury.

Jeffrey
08-04-2017, 11:10 AM
1) Survival surgery on fly larva that result in neuronal injury.

Is there a great need? The Beatles became emphatic that Transcendental Meditation was a foolish procedure (Sexy Sadie) which caused them neural system damage.

BigWayne
08-04-2017, 02:36 PM

Get a sous-vide machine. (https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/) Don't pay attention to all the other things it can supposedly do. Not worth the hassle unless you just want to entertain yourself. Just use it to do steaks and chops. It makes it easy for someone that has a tough time judging meat to get it right.

BigWayne
08-04-2017, 02:42 PM
1) Clam chowder
2) Digital semiconductor design archaeology.

Doria
08-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type, unfortunately. I'll certainly never be the absolute best at any one thing. But I try to improve my strengths all the time, and I think there is a worth in that, as well.

I guess talents would be:

1) Quick study for most things that don't require physical attributes or knowledge I don't have/can't gain
2) Writing, editing, etc.

I feel there should be other things I'm good at, but darned if I can think of any here!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type, unfortunately. I'll certainly never be the absolute best at any one thing. But I try to improve my strengths all the time, and I think there is a worth in that, as well.

I guess talents would be:

1) Quick study for most things that don't require physical attributes or knowledge I don't have/can't gain
2) Writing, editing, etc.

I feel there should be other things I'm good at, but darned if I can think of any here!

I think #2 is why we would make good friends.

duke4ever19
08-07-2017, 07:37 PM
My areas of "expertise" are . . .

1) Life and work of Oscar Wilde

2) Life and work of Marcel Proust

2) psychoanalytic theory

3) Choral music and piano literature. (I've gotten a few things published over the years, but nothing recently.)

Things I suck at . . .

1) Anything to do with mechanical things.

2) Woodworking, building things, repair jobs etc.

2) Any math above Algebra II (Math was my Achilles' heel in college and beyond, not because I was naturally bad at it, but because I decided to detest it from a young age and nurture that hate through my life).

3) Anything to do with finances. I'm horrible with money and take a strange pride in being so.

FerryFor50
08-08-2017, 09:59 AM
1) Googling
2) Pretending I'm an expert

CDu
08-08-2017, 10:33 AM
1) Googling
2) Pretending I'm an expert

90% of the battle in life, my friend.

Reisen
08-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type

This is me as well. I'm a good pool player (I once won 38 games of 8-ball in a row while rushing a fraternity at Duke), but am not the best, nor do I compete any tournaments any more. Same goes for skiing. I can golf well enough to enjoy it, but am not good. I road bike often, run, play soccer, and compete in triathlons (but never win). I was very gifted at math, but am not an expert. In my professional career, I am the consummate generalist, with experience in, and knowledge of, marketing, operations, finance, sales, etc. Not surprisingly, I was a strategy consultant earlier in my career, and I have an MBA.

Outside of that stuff, I do my own plumbing (and am knowledgable of, and follow, code), electrical, drywall, carpentry, masonry, flooring, and landscaping. I own a 15 year old BMW and do all the work on it myself, including rebuilding nearly every piece of the car with the exception of the drivetrain. I recently designed and installed my own sprinkler system, from digging the trenches, drilling through my foundation with an SDS+ drill, plumbing in a back flow preventer, etc.

I suppose my two main areas of deep expertise would be BMWs (starting with E28s to present) and airline/hotel/credit card reward programs.