PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Radford

Jumbo
11-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Radford?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Andre

jpfrizzle
11-21-2009, 05:12 PM
i voted for Andre

juise
11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
The D-R-E.

(Side note: I'm glad to see that Jumbo is back to posting MOTM threads. :) )

Jumbo
11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Andre

You know you can just express that by voting in the poll, rather than posting, right? ;)

ScreechTDX1847
11-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Andre.

CameronCrazy'11
11-21-2009, 05:16 PM
It's a great reflection on how well Nolan is playing that he can score 20 and not be thought of as the man of the match.

Spam Filter
11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I voted for Scheyer. 18 pts along with 7 ast with 0 turnovers.

airowe
11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Andre was good, but I wish Mason would have been an option in this poll. He was so smart out there tonight. Got up at the right time, and knew when to sit back and just let things happen...

BlueintheFace
11-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Alright, until Jon turns the ball over, I am voting for him every game.

Cameron
11-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Um, are you sure didn't leave a choice off the list? I couldn't find my Greg Paulus pick..

:)

What a tremendous game today for Andre Dawkins. His game reminds me so much of William Avery's. Dawkins has a couple of inches or so on what Will had, but Andre has that same "I'm good and I know" extra step to his game that a lot of players lack as freshman. He has no fear when it comes to taking big shots, and you can tell he's rattled by nothing out there on the floor. This is great to see.

I think I have my favorite new Duke player for the years to come. Right now Jon still owns that label (fell in love with him as soon as I read about his 21 points in 75 seconds with Coach Collins in the house), but after graduation next spring, Andre will be front and center.

20 points on 6-of-8 shooting from three. Wow. And he doesn't have a habit to kick!

Now how can I vote for Greg?

BlueintheFace
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I think I have my favorite new Duke player for the years to come.

I tend to pick a favorite early every 3 or 4 years and just defend that player to the death and root for him a little bit harder than the others to be honesy. As soon as Greg left, I knew it would be AD. From the moment I heard that he was trying to recruit other guys to come to Duke and committed so early, it was a done deal.

BlueDevilCorvette!
11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Dawkin's is a smooth 3 point sniper! If he keeps his confidence up and continue to work hard on defense, he could be a lethal weapon to unleash once ACC play starts. Also, that Tim Duncan like demeanor is pretty cool! It's bad enough when a dude is dropping 3's in your face like JJ, but to do it without making any demonstrative facial expressions, is like saying "Hey, I expect to make those shots-what's the big deal"....now that's outright scary!

Bob Green
11-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I voted for Andre Dawkins as his performance today could be the breakout game that leads to great things this year for the youngster. With his 6-8 performance on 3-pointers today he is now 12-26 for the season. While I don't expect him to shoot .461 for the season, there is no doubt Dawkins is a legitimate 3-point threat, which defenses cannot ignore. He is another option on offense that will open up the inside game for our bigs.

Cameron
11-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I tend to pick a favorite early every 3 or 4 years and just defend that player to the death and root for him a little bit harder than the others to be honesy. As soon as Greg left, I knew it would be AD. From the moment I heard that he was trying to recruit other guys to come to Duke and committed so early, it was a done deal.

Same here. In my days as a Duke fan (I'm a bit younger than probably a lot of people here) I've had a few big favorites -- what those close to me would probably call "unhealthy relationships with people who don't know me." Although, to be fair, I have had dinner with Greg Paulus:) (Haha, but seriously, I have. Duke Camp is a wonderful place!)

Too Legit 2 Quit, Alaskin Assassin, Shane, Duhon, JJ, Jon, Greg, and Jon again. Oddly, I transferred to Greg after campaigning for Jon the entire '06-'07 season; still not sure why, to be honest. There was just something about Greg that drew me to his game. Mainly his propensity to chuck and drill 28-footers. I do love my shooters, if that's not obvious by my selections above.

Looks like Andre is next. It will be hard for him to take Duhon's crown, though. It's doubtful that any player ever will surpass what Duhon meant to me as a Duke fan, but I will sure let Andre give it his best shot.

(Oh yeah, as some here might recall, I had a weird thing about this kid nicknamed "King Taylor" or something, but I wouldn't know anything about how that name started to spread ... :rolleyes:)

Jim3k
11-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm going with Miles because of he got 25% of the team's rebounds. I like the offense coming from Dawkins and Smith, and I like the offensive balance that the team showed here. Plus, Scheyer's contributions can't be ignored. But for an individual performance that helped the team keep moving, Miles gets my vote. Blue collar stuff moves me.

JasonEvans
11-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Alright, until Jon turns the ball over, I am voting for him every game.

His ATO ratio is infinity. Not bad.

21-0 ATO is incredible for a PG. Jaw dropping.

That said, there will be plenty of chances to vote for Scheyer as MOTM. I am taking my Dawkins opportunities and running with them ;)

-Jason "shocked at how comfortably we beat a fairly good Radford team" Evans

Newton_14
11-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I voted for Andre for a couple of reasons. How many Sr's in High School can say "hey, think I will just skip this high school nonsense and go drop 20 on a D1 college team"

Babyface had it going today. I will go out on a limb and state that sometime over the next few years Andre will break the Duke record for most consective 3's from the start of a game to his first miss. If my memory is correct William Avery and Trajan share that honor with 7?

Jim Sumner? anyone else know if I am correct on that?

Great job Andre. You are today's "Man of The Match"

JDev
11-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Andre had his first great moments in Cameron, and his coming out party as an elite shooter. He also played with swagger and was really getting the Crazies riled up. Great stuff, and he helped Duke tie the school record for threes in a game.

wisteria
11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
If Seth would be even just half as good as his brother, just imagine how crazy it will be when he joins Dre next year.

Heelkiller1
11-21-2009, 10:08 PM
I was glad to see Dre come in to his own a bit today.Hope this is a prelude to a great season for Duke BB

Cameron
11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
It's going to be sick. And, as others have alluded to, Dre might not even start next year. That's a deep, deep rotation of guards. Because Dre is a starter, and probably the best guard on the roster, at North Carolina right now. And that makes me smile.

Shooters U continues to strengthen its legacy. I mean honestly, has there been a school that has featured as many prominent shooters in the history of college basketball than Duke University? It's astonishing when you look at it.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
It's going to be sick. And, as others have alluded to, Dre might not even start next year. That's a deep, deep rotation of guards. Because Dre is a starter, and probably the best guard on the roster, at North Carolina right now. And that makes me smile.

Shooters U continues to strengthen its legacy. I mean honestly, has there been a school that has featured as many prominent shooters in the history of college basketball than Duke University? It's astonishing when you look at it.

I never thought about that but you may be on to something.

OldSchool
11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Smokin' Dre was burning the nets today!

Gotta give it to the smooth-stroking frosh.

One thing that really impresses me about Andre is his preternatural focus and concentration for a freshman. When he plays he has a hungry look about him, which gives him a bit of an edge. (Hongry Dre!).

Tempted to give it to Jon "You can't divide by zero" Scheyer for his assist-to-turnover ratio, which is, well, incalculable.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2009, 09:54 AM
We have an allstar center at the 5 position. When are we going to start seeing him listed so we can vote for him for MOTM?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Zoulee Plumbek, first team All ACC. :cool:

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-22-2009, 11:00 AM
I still surprissed no one pick Kyle. Not saying he deserved it but some of the other guys didn't really either.

devildeac
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I would have voted for Jon but he didn't take enough "chances" to have any turnovers.:rolleyes::D;)

COYS
11-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I would have voted for Jon but he didn't take enough "chances" to have any turnovers.:rolleyes::D;)

Yeah, those seven dimes were all stuff my dog could do in his sleep:D.

Seriously, though, I'm with JasonEvans. I gotta go with Andre. Welcome to the show!

CLW
11-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Andre. I wasn't sure how he would adjust to the college game after coming early. I've been very impressed with his poise and confidence in his game. He could develop into something special.

dukestheheat
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
This is Nolan's year! He's bustin' a move for Duke!

Since I'm the (un-)official and (totally un-)recognized President of the DBR NOLAN SMITH Fan Club I can say all this.

So, while Dawkins gets his 20 and we need him to do this every game if possible, I like Nolan as he gets HIS 20 today and also has a slew of assists to go with it!

SMITH in attack mode! GO NOLAN!

dth.

RainingThrees
11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Watching Dre' felt like the days when JJ was here getting 6 3's routinely... but Nolan had 20 points, and 7 assists. My heart says Dre' but my brain says Nolan.

DevilHorns
11-22-2009, 10:56 PM

Since I'm the (un-)official and (totally un-)recognized President of the DBR NOLAN SMITH Fan Club I can say all this.

So, while Dawkins gets his 20 and we need him to do this every game if possible, I like Nolan as he gets HIS 20 today and also has a slew of assists to go with it!

dth.

I love this. Our year depends on the level of improvement from Nolan (maybe because, in a way, he's the hardest to predict). If Nolan becomes a superstar (not just a star), which in my opinion is very possible given his obvious talent potential, we may go very very far in March.

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2009, 05:26 AM

dth.

Whoa....Whoa!!! Sorry to burst your bubble, but I AM the official and totally recognized President of the DBR NOLAN SMITH Fan Club! ;) He gets my vote - he gives this team another dimension, as shown by the game a couple of days ago. He absolutely stuffed the stat sheet, and his defense was, as usually, amazing.

GO NOLAN!!!

dukestheheat
11-23-2009, 09:36 AM
^^^^

Uh oh Dutch.....dude! Didn't you know I officially elected MYself back when Nolan was a freshman and a few people on the DBR (we won't name any names) were calling him 'Nolan Richardson'?! Didn't you see the poll?? It was an n=1 (my vote) but hey, that was good enough; I mean, no one else voted in my district but me.

I knew I had to step in and provide leadership in this situation. In comes dukestheheat.

Pray tell......(how did you get the RECOGnized moniker?.....I could only score the UNrecognized version........., even with my landslide victory in the election). :)

Ok, you can be Vice President and we'll keep this away from the press.

dth.

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2009, 10:07 AM
^^^^

Uh oh Dutch.....dude! Didn't you know I officially elected MYself back when Nolan was a freshman and a few people on the DBR (we won't name any names) were calling him 'Nolan Richardson'?! Didn't you see the poll?? It was an n=1 (my vote) but hey, that was good enough; I mean, no one else voted in my district but me.

I knew I had to step in and provide leadership in this situation. In comes dukestheheat.

Pray tell......(how did you get the RECOGnized moniker?.....I could only score the UNrecognized version........., even with my landslide victory in the election). :)

Ok, you can be Vice President and we'll keep this away from the press.

dth.

Vice Prez? Really? Fine... I'll take it - as long as people recognize me as the president of the "John Henson should be cast in the new X-Files movie" Fan Club. Deal?

Battierfan01
11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Watching Dre' felt like the days when JJ was here getting 6 3's routinely... but Nolan had 20 points, and 7 assists. My heart says Dre' but my brain says Nolan.

I was at the game Saturday and everytime Dre' pulled the trigger I thought of JJ. Dre's jump shot is one of the best that I've seen since JJ. I think that he gives us a great scoring boost off the bench and I can't wait to see him and Curry together next year.

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I was at the game Saturday and everytime Dre' pulled the trigger I thought of JJ. Dre's jump shot is one of the best that I've seen since JJ. I think that he gives us a great scoring boost off the bench and I can't wait to see him and Curry together next year.

You mean him, Curry, and Smith, right? ;)

That is an absolutely nasty 2-3 line-up. They can all shoot well, all get to the rim, all play decent defense (okay, Dre and Curry need a little help in that department), all provide decent-to-great athletism... I agree - I'm drooling. But right now, this team is faaaaaaan-tastic!

GO NOLAN!!!

Battierfan01
11-23-2009, 12:02 PM
You mean him, Curry, and Smith, right? ;)

Of course, sorry I forgot to include him. (Not sure how I forgot.) :)