PDA

View Full Version : MBB Duke 104 - Radford 67 Post Game thread

-jk
11-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Andre!

airowe
11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Our "Big 3" is great, but how about #20!!!!!!!

Indoor66
11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
MOTM: Andre - a coming out party!

Indoor66
11-21-2009, 04:55 PM
MOTM 2 = Ryan - he can do it.

Beezer7
11-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Yahoo stats show Mason Plumlee got a rebound. Did he get in at the end?

gwwilburn
11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
ESPN's site said Mason played last game, too. Obviously, he didn't

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Yahoo stats show Mason Plumlee got a rebound. Did he get in at the end?

No, he got it after playing ten mins. into the second half:).

ncexnyc
11-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Glad I sprung for the video feed, it was well worth it.:)

"Baby Face" Dawkins is indeed the real deal.

Nolan's game has definitely improved over the summer.

Miles looks way more confident and sure of himself than he did last year.

Jon & Kyle were rock solid as usual.

I could say this will be a magical season, but I want to see a few more games against better opposition. While we were lights out from beyond the arc, I want to see us score below the arc on a consistent level against top-notch teams before I go out on a limb and predict BIG things for this team.;)

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Glad I sprung for the video feed, it was well worth it.:)

"Baby Face" Dawkins is indeed the real deal.

Nolan's game has definitely improved over the summer.

Jon & Kyle were rock solid as usual.

I could say this will be a magical season, but I want to see a few more games against better opposition. While we were lights out from beyond the arc, I want to see us score below the arc on a consistent level against top-notch teams before I go out on a limb and predict BIG things for this team.;)

Totally agree, this was a great game but we still have a lot more to prove before we start calling this OUR season.

mo.st.dukie
11-21-2009, 05:15 PM

Yes, he is very much improved and certainly gives us a different dimension that we didn't have last year. The good thing is, and something fans have to keep in mind, that he is still very much a developing player as he basically has the experience of a mid-season freshman. The opposing center (don't want to try to type his name) played really well and gave our bigs a good test. I'm hopefully that Miles will look and play like that guy by the time he's a senior. Looking to the next game, Boateng will be another test for our post players, specifically Miles.

Spam Filter
11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
As coach K said at the post game, the Radford center is a first round NBA pick. This was not some scrub center, this was a very real test for our bigs.

DUKIECB
11-21-2009, 05:22 PM
As for those of us who were not fortunate enough to view the game, can someone give us a detailed account of today?

airowe
11-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I love how Scheyer is quieting all the doubters. He's not flashy but man does he get it done.

BlueintheFace
11-21-2009, 05:24 PM
21 assists, zero turnovers.... holy cow

jpfrizzle
11-21-2009, 05:25 PM
where can I find the stats for this game?

sports.espn.go.com has the game still "In Progress" :rolleyes:

tbyers11
11-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Here is a Yahoo link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=200911210173)

I don't think it is official, but it is usually pretty close

airowe
11-21-2009, 05:30 PM

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?&gameId=293250150&refresh=OFF

jpfrizzle
11-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks tbyers11 & airowe!!!!! :D

Jim3k
11-21-2009, 05:43 PM
21 assists, zero turnovers.... holy cow

CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gamecenter/boxscore/NCAAB_20091121_RADFRD@DUKE) has the team totaling 25 assists -- holy, holy cow! :)

airowe
11-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Those Scheyer stats are for the year.

Jim3k
11-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Those Scheyer stats are for the year.

May I suggest that if you or the OP are talking about a player's year-to-date stats in a game thread, that you be a little more clear? ;)

Even so, 25 assists in a game is impressive.

sandinmyshoes
11-21-2009, 06:01 PM
It's crazy that our 3 point percentage was higher than our two point percentage. It's not like we were 4 of 5 or something. We took 32 of them and hit 18. Over 56 percent. Crazy.

-jk
11-21-2009, 06:03 PM
If I've paid attention, we had 25 assists on 35 made FG this game, and Scheyer has 21 assistes/0 turnovers on the season. Both fabulous stats.

-jk

Zeb
11-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Ryan Kelly showed me a lot today. He is going to be a player. He is a skilled passer, a crafty defender, and obviously he can shoot. I think its easy to overlook him with Mason and Andre but Ryan will make a lot of plays for us this year.

Genedoc
11-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Ryan Kelly showed me a lot today. He is going to be a player. He is a skilled passer, a crafty defender, and obviously he can shoot. I think its easy to overlook him with Mason and Andre but Ryan will make a lot of plays for us this year.

Agreed. He'll be a serviceable player this year, and as his body develops he could turn into a dominant one. Whatever "it" is, Kelly clearly has it. He just knows where to be, where other people are, and how the game is supposed to move. He gets beat from time to time, but he never looks lost. When his body catches up to his court awareness/basketball IQ, he's going to be a force.

Also, this is the best passing Duke team I've seen in some time. Scheyer, Singler, Kelly, Plumlee, Plumlee...they all just seem to "get" how the offense is supposed to work. 25 assists on 35 baskets is impressive regardless of who you're playing.

The Belarussian Beast on Radford is going to earn some coin playing basketball. He's not fleet of foot, but he's strong like bull and has a ridiculously soft touch for such a huge, powerful man. His stat line was awesome today and K said he thought we defended him very well (and I agree).

_Gary
11-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Without being able to see the game the one thing I really like in looking at the stats is that each of the "Big 3" had 7 assists. That's fantastic! And of course to see Andre do so well is great too.

davekay1971
11-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Agreed. He'll be a serviceable player this year, and as his body develops he could turn into a dominant one. Whatever "it" is, Kelly clearly has it. He just knows where to be, where other people are, and how the game is supposed to move..

Completely different kind of player, but that's the kind of thing we used to say about Scheyer his freshman year. That turned out pretty well...:)

MulletMan
11-21-2009, 06:33 PM
The Belarussian Beast on Radford is going to earn some coin playing basketball. He's not fleet of foot, but he's strong like bull and has a ridiculously soft touch for such a huge, powerful man. His stat line was awesome today and K said he thought we defended him very well (and I agree).

He was quite a load and our big guys did a pretty decent job handling him. We used up some fouls, though, so that might be a concern against teams with more size inside. Radford will certainley be a load in their conference with that size though... we might see them again in the tourney.

I really am encouraged with Dre at this point. I know a lot of people are doing the "he's the next so-and-so" with him... and in this case a lot of people seem to want him to fill G's spot, but that's not who he is. Dre, for this team, needs to be a guy who spread the floor to take pressure off of our bigs. He's not going to be as hot every night as he was tonight, but he is fearless in his shot and will keep taking it. This is going to help us in spades!

Scheyer has worked himself into being a terrific point guard. Terrific.

I will not allow myslef to get too excited about this team until we face some real competition, but at this early stage we have to be encouraged.

Plus, the guys look like they are having fun... and I don't know how much we've seen of that the past few seasons.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Just go to GoDuke.com

ChicagoCrazy84
11-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Scheyer 18 pts, 7 asts 0 turnovers!!!

Ryan Kelly 9 pts, 5 rebs, 1 ast, 2 stls, 2 blks in 18 minutes!!

Dawkins had a great game, no doubt, but Scheyer has been incredible and Ryan Kelly has a great future. He will definitely be a stat stuffer. Go Duke!

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 06:46 PM
I know I speak for many when i say i can't wait for Mason.

Newton_14
11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I was at the game today and it was well worth the ticket. If you love watching teams that share and move the ball well, and are balanced offensively this team is for you. They leaned on the 3 heavily but mainly because Radford came out in a packed zone and played Russian Roullette with the 3 Ball. Well, bad move, as the chamber had a bullet, 18 times.

Most all of the 3's came in rythym and were good looks. More on that in a minute.

You could tell Radford was well coached and had been in big games. They came out very poised and confident and knocked Duke back a bit in the opening 4 minutes taking a 13-10 lead. Their center was an absolute beast. Pick an ACC team, any of them, and he starts for them. His footwork was good, he has great hands, a nice touch on his shot, and is a good 50 pounds heavier than Zoubs. But he moved really well for that size. Our guys played really good D and he still got his points.

After the first timeout our guys got it in gear. They hit a lot of 3's but they also fed Miles a little bit as well. And he looked good again. He opened the game with a catch turn and shoot from about 12 feet and knocked it down.
He also played D without fouling for a long time. It was late in the game when he picked up the 3rd and 4th foul.

The thing about the 3's was they were coming from everywhere on the court and from different guys. This is just an excellent shooting team. Andre of course was the star behind the line. He hit his first 5 and missed on the 6th but it was rushed and his feet were not set. But, it is also important to note that he is getting a little bit better on Defense every game. He made several very nice defensive plays today.

The big 3 were very solid and Lance and Zoubs played well also. I have loved Ryan Kelly since day 1. This kid can play. He is not by any stretch Taylor King. I know the competition hasn't been top notch yet, but it is not about that. The kid just knows how to play the game. He is very fundamentally sound, a great passer, uses the shot fake well, and he is a versatile defender. He moves his feet a bit better than it seems and he uses his length well on defense. He too had several nice defensive plays today.

I am not making any wild predictions or anything like that but I do believe this team is going to be better than last years team. They are just really balanced and have a lot of pieces to the puzzle. And they are playing well. Once Mason gets back and works his way back in, they will get even better.

Lastly, Olek did not get many minutes today but he still showed an improved game on both ends.

Sorry for the long post but it was a lot of good things to say today.

25 assists on 35 baskets!!

elvis14
11-21-2009, 07:01 PM
I was at the game today ...

Sorry for the long post but it was a lot of good things to say today.

Some of us get spoiled by being able to watch most of our games on TV. No need to apologize for the long post. THANK YOU for the long post, it was good read and I appreciate you sharing.

I'm trying really hard not to get too excited and project anything for this team. But it's hard not to get excited and then start seeing ACC tournament wins and NCAA wins, etc. I'm really enjoying watching them play. I like the style of play so far, the improvement of all the returning guys, and the freshman. Andre is a great addition and obvious but, like others, I really really like Ryan's court presence, he's going to make a lot of plays for us this year.

I'm already looking forward to the next game.

devilboomer
11-21-2009, 07:16 PM
And the thing is...we really haven't even seen Mason Plumlee or Seth Curry play yet.

Can you imagine how crazy practices must have looked at the beginning of the year?!?!

Genedoc
11-21-2009, 07:22 PM
We may not have a "true" PG with John/Nolan splitting the duties, but the more I think about, the more I think this is one of the best passing teams we've had in quite some time.

Hermy-own
11-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, since everyone on this thread is getting really excited, I have a question. I didn't watch the game today, so I am a freer from game day excitement:

Is this Duke team going to live (and die) by the three again in March?

I really, really hope not, and I believe in Miles Plumlee (and Mason too once he gets back), but if we run into Villanova again, and their guards stick to our guards like glue, then what? Can we pound it inside and eck out a win? Can our motion offense get our guards open? And what happens if we have a cold night shooting?

I don't want to be negative, and I often end up that way in my posts, but this is an honest question. Can Miles, Nolan, and Kyle create their own points enough to make up for the big 3 (and andre) being cold from beyond the arc?

Bob Green
11-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Miles Plumlee and Brian Zoubek combined for 16 points and 20 rebounds against a team with a Center who could start in the ACC. I believe we will be able to score inside.

devilboomer
11-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, since everyone on this thread is getting really excited, I have a question. I didn't watch the game today, so I am a freer from game day excitement:

I really, really hope not, and I believe in Miles Plumlee (and Mason too once he gets back), but if we run into Villanova again, and their guards stick to our guards like glue, then what? Can we pound it inside and eck out a win? Can our motion offense get our guards open? And what happens if we have a cold night shooting?

I don't want to be negative, and I often end up that way in my posts, but this is an honest question. Can Miles, Nolan, and Kyle create their own points enough to make up for the big 3 (and andre) being cold from beyond the arc?

(1) Radford packed it in with a zone, and thus gave up a bounty of open looks. We took the 3s because they were wide open.

(2) We got some guy named Plumlee that's been putting up some double-doubles recently. Apparently he's pretty tall.

(3) Don't know if you watched 'Nova, but they certainly don't look like world-beaters at this point in the season. They are really going to miss Dante Cunningham, and they need their star frosh center to come back.

(4) The problem against 'Nova wasn't only that our shooters went cold. It was also that their frontcourt, despite being smaller than ours, was just killing us on the glass and putbacks. The score was pretty close at halftime.

(5) Kyle Singler.

Newton_14
11-21-2009, 07:37 PM

In a word, NO. Will it be used as a weapon? Absolutely. It is one of the strength's of the team. But this team can score in a variety of ways due to the players we have available and the style of play K has crafted up for this team.

Don't be misled by the amount of 3's today. They simply took what the defense gave them. They are great shooters, but they also are great passers and cutters too.

At one point during the 2nd half today, they went to full blown motion on offense and got 2 lob dunks, 1 by Miles, and 1 by Kelly, and 3 layups. 2 by Scheyer and one by Kyle. It was a beauty to watch.

And guess what else, Lance Thomas took a 16 foot jumper just inside the top of the key and it was nothing but nylon!

This team will not live and die with the 3 ball as in the past 2 years...

BlueintheFace
11-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Man, K sure has sounded optimistic in the post-game conferences... its not so much what he says as how he says it. With every statement it feels like he really means "you think we look good now? wait until we get Mason back!"

roywhite
11-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Man, K sure has sounded optimistic in the post-game conferences... its not so much what he says as how he says it. With every statement it feels like he really means "you think we look good now? wait until we get Mason back!"

Well, I sure hope Mason makes a full recovery and comes back strong, but this "staged development" of the team is not necessarily bad:
Playing without Nolan for two games led to adjustments
Playing without Mason has also led to adjustments and other guys finding roles
Players like Andre, Ryan, and Olek have had more opportunities in early games

Coach K: "I love my team".

Hermy-own
11-21-2009, 08:00 PM
In a word, NO. Will it be used as a weapon? Absolutely. It is one of the strength's of the team. But this team can score in a variety of ways due to the players we have available and the style of play K has crafted up for this team.

Don't be misled by the amount of 3's today. They simply took what the defense gave them. They are great shooters, but they also are great passers and cutters too.

At one point during the 2nd half today, they went to full blown motion on offense and got 2 lob dunks, 1 by Miles, and 1 by Kelly, and 3 layups. 2 by Scheyer and one by Kyle. It was a beauty to watch.

And guess what else, Lance Thomas took a 16 foot jumper just inside the top of the key and it was nothing but nylon!

Ok, NOW I'm excited for this season! GO DUKE! Can't wait to see what happens when Mason gets back.

oldnavy
11-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Coach K: "I love my team".

Coach K saying that tells me something. It tells me that above and beyond the talent on the floor, these guys are smart, work hard and work together. I don't think Coach K says things like this without really meaning it, and if he LOVES this team, then I think there is something special brewing...

Indoor66
11-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Not to be negative, and I am very excited about this team, but K says he loves his team every year. That is his nature. That said, what I hear him saying is that he thinks this team can do REALLY well through the year.

IBleedBlue
11-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Are the game highlights available anywhere for us to watch?

jipops
11-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Andre's production is obviously thrilling but I'm equally as thrilled with what Kelly showed tonight. Some have alluded to fearing he may battle trying to fit in like Taylor King did but this is definitely not going to be the case. Despite not having any quickness his footwork is excellent on D and he seems to know where to be on the floor. He's still finding himself a little on offense but he knows where his shots are. Once again he's shown glimpses of being an excellent passing big.

Back to Andre, the play were he caught the skip pass at his ankles and hoisted it up immediately from the corner to drain the 3 was absolutely ridiculous. It wasn't even a clean looking catch but he managed to stay in rhythm all in one motion. This guy just has a beautiful stroke with a very quick release. And he looked quite confident out there today. He's obviously putting a lot of focus on his defense as well. Note the block and 3 steals.

My one red flag is our interior defense. I felt we were way too slow to rotate or collapse on their big guy Parakhouski. That guy was huge and mobile so I'm sure fighting him off the block wasn't easy but he seemed to have his way down there as well as opening up other opportunities at the basket. I wonder if that might become a focus on game film. Also, our primary bigs got themselves in foul trouble early in the 2nd. This wouldn't be good in ACC play.

Coastal Devil
11-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Oh man what a great game tonight. This was my dads first game in cameron. We lit it up tonight. I'm very excited about this team. Ditto what everybody has been saying. Miles, obviously Dre and Kelly played great ( the young guys ). I was very impressed with Kelly and Dre's defense and knack for just playing unselfish bball. Kelly is a great passer to the post. Dre has the calmness and confidence of a senior. He is a stud. Every shot he takes looks like it has a chance to go in. Reminds me of JJ! Oh well no more rambling..

Oh I did almost run into Mrs. Curry. [Redacted text.] Another highlight of the night for sure...LOL! I froze up like a little teenager and I wanted to say I can't wait to see Seth play next yr.. instead I smiled and she smiled back!! It was priceless...

I've been a DBR reader for years and enjoy (most) everybodys posts and insight!

Go DUKE!!!

Greg_Newton
11-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I'll readily admit I was part of the camp who did not expect Kelly to be a contributor this season, based on what I'd seen of him pre-practice. It appears I was dead wrong, which is thrilling. I get the feeling that he in particular benefits very much from K's style of coaching. The tentativeness and meekness we saw all summer appears to be all but gone, and it's awesome to see him asserting his skilled 6-10 self into the midst of the action. It also doesn't hurt that he's basically tailor made for our current offense.

I also have a feeling that Ryan Kelly is going to become one of the players you just love to watch play basketball. I always loved (and still love) watching Shane and Jon Scheyer play the college game, because they're just so smart and seem see the game on a different level than everyone else. They do all the little things perfectly, and are always a step ahead of the action.

Ryan obviously has a lot of work to do, but I get the feeling he possesses a similar quality. I really enjoy watching him on both ends of the court!

05/18/2005
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
How about 16/17 from the line? (94%)

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Are there any video recaps of this game?

ivydevil
11-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Duke Blue Planet has the top 5 plays of the game, but that's the best I could do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fBGJFQj_Y

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Duke Blue Planet has the top 5 plays of the game, but that's the best I could do...

Thanks, it's something.

Poincaré
11-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Here's a sequence of events: So Gerald leaves school after being blown out in the tourney and Elliot departs for Memphis due to personal tragedy. Hanstravel wins it all. Barnes chooses UNC despite most early signs pointing to Duke. Mason injures wrist. Nolan is suspended for the first two games of the season due to a technicality.

Having finished the setup, my question is this: Will Andre Dawkins turn into the most beloved Dukie in recent memory? His unexpected early arrival on campus has created some special opportunities for this team. Baby Face could end up being the difference between another season of our core players shouldering too much of the load and a season of limitless possibilities.

Well, regardless of how it turns out, I think most of us are very thankful right now that this young man put in the extra time so that he could help the team THIS season.

Kedsy
11-22-2009, 12:23 AM

Interesting that 3 of the 5 plays are passes by Kyle.

DukieBoy
11-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to watch any Duke games yet. But, judging from what I've read here and what I've read on ESPN and such, we've looked pretty good. Great to hear Andre had a huge game tonight. Really helps building his confidence.

And something else I noticed was Plumlee (forget which one) getting a double-double. Another confidence boost

In general, it's great to see people outside of Singler and Scheyer having big games and us winning.

dball
11-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Olek bringing a little Czyzizzle. Kelly's passing has been outstanding. Miles has been solid, playing well defensively and bringing some offensive punch.

It's really early but this team has a chance to be really good. I'm thinking Duke might repeat as ACC champs this year :) (and maybe win the regular season title as well)

YourLandlord
11-22-2009, 01:57 AM

more like 5.

oldnavy
11-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Not to be negative, and I am very excited about this team, but K says he loves his team every year. That is his nature. That said, what I hear him saying is that he thinks this team can do REALLY well through the year.

Maybe I am getting mixed up with him saying that this team has a chance to be a "Great" or a "Really Good" team. Oh well, like you I am very excited about this years squad...

oldnavy
11-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Interesting that 3 of the 5 plays are passes by Kyle.

Love the drop down pass to Miles. Kyle immediately recognized the mismatch and dumped it down low for an easy put in. My son (a heel fan) laughs at me when I get excited about plays like that (not flashy), but I like to watch good teams that pass the ball well...

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-22-2009, 11:39 AM
How could you raise a Heel fan.

grossbus
11-22-2009, 12:47 PM
"My son (a heel fan)"

are you certain he is yours????
:D

BlueintheFace
11-22-2009, 01:15 PM
"My son (a heel fan)"

are you certain he is yours????
:D

milkman?

Kedsy
11-22-2009, 02:49 PM
And something else I noticed was Plumlee (forget which one) getting a double-double. Another confidence boost.

You forget which? Well, Mason was sitting on the bench in street clothes with his wrist wrapped. Does that jog your memory?

05/18/2005
11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
You forget which? Well, Mason was sitting on the bench in street clothes with his wrist wrapped. Does that jog your memory?
hmmm.........
Mason(mp2) is a freshmen, has a busted wrist, and sits on the bench in street clothes.
Miles(mp1) is a sophmore. He has started this year, and got a double double yesterday.
Just to clarify any uncertainty one who is who. ,,?