PDA

View Full Version : What is the future of The Carlyle Cup?

Jarhead
11-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Having noticed the TV ads from Carlyle and Company (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/oct/17/carlyle-co-jewelers-shutting-doors-after-87-years/) in which the closing of the company was announced, I wonder what becomes of the Carlyle Cup if it doesn't have a sponsor. Would it continue under a different name, or would it just fade into the history of our rivalry with UNC? I hope it continues, and I suggest it be named the Shades of Blue Trophy. I would think that the two Athletic departments would have the resources to administer it, but how would interest in the trophy be promoted and finance. Any comments?

hughgs
11-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Having noticed the TV ads from Carlyle and Company (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/oct/17/carlyle-co-jewelers-shutting-doors-after-87-years/) in which the closing of the company was announced, I wonder what becomes of the Carlyle Cup if it doesn't have a sponsor. Would it continue under a different name, or would it just fade into the history of our rivalry with UNC? I hope it continues, and I suggest it be named the Shades of Blue Trophy. I would think that the two Athletic departments would have the resources to administer it, but how would interest in the trophy be promoted and finance. Any comments?

Today's Chronicle (Friday) has an article about the financial problems that the Athletic Department is having. I doubt that they would be interested in spending more money right now.

Jarhead
11-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Today's Chronicle (Friday) has an article about the financial problems that the Athletic Department is having. I doubt that they would be interested in spending more money right now.

So is this the end of the Carlyle Cup? Well it's been nice while it lasted.

hughgs
11-21-2009, 06:25 PM
So is this the end of the Carlyle Cup? Well it's been nice while it lasted.

I wouldn't say it's the end based on the Chronicle article. It's simply a data point for you to ponder. They might find another "title" sponsor, or maybe the Athletic Department will decide to keep it going. I just think the Athletic Department would have a hard time justifying the cost in the current environment.