PDA

View Full Version : No surprise - Duke signs three

Olympic Fan
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Duke announced in a release this morning that Kyrie Irving, Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston have all signed LOIs. According to NCAA rules the announcement means that Duke has their signed LOI in hand, so it's official.

I know there were some crazy rumors out there -- a couple of weeks ago, some message boards suggested that Thornton would reneg and sign with Virginia (total Internet BS -- he never waivered). I just wanted to let everybody know that Irving, Thornton and Hairston are officially Dukies now.

Alos, the fact that Duke released its fall signing class means that they don't expect anybody else to sign this fall -- meaning that if Roscoe Smith does end up picking Duke, it won't be the early signing period.

Below is a copy of the release (it's probably up on goduke. com by now):

Duke Basketball Inks Three During Early Signing Period

Durham, N.C. – Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced on Thursday the signing of Josh Hairston, Kyrie Irving and Tyler Thornton to national letters of intent to play basketball for the Blue Devils beginning in the fall of 2010. The trio is ranked as the No. 5 signing class in the nation by Rivals.com and No. 7 by Scout.com

“Josh, Kyrie and Tyler will be tremendous additions to our program on and off the court,” said Krzyzewski. “They are outstanding young men, terrific students and talented basketball players. We are excited about their respective futures in our program and look forward to watching them continue to grow and develop.”

Hairston, a 6’8” power forward from Spotsylvania, Va., averaged 23.8 points and 10.6 rebounds per game while leading Courtland to the Group AA, Division 4 state championship a year ago. He earned state player of the year by the Virginia High School Coaches Association and the Associated Press. Hairston is ranked No. 27 overall and the No. 8 power forward by ESPN.com and is the No. 10 power forward according to Scout.com. He is also ranked No. 49 (No. 12 among power forward) by Rivals.com. Hairston transferred to Montrose Christian in Rockville, Md., for the 2009-10 season.

Irving, a 6’2” point guard from Elizabeth, N.J., is among the top rated players in the country. He averaged 16.6 points per game in 20 contests last season at national powerhouse St. Patrick High, earning all-state honors. Irving had a season-high 29 points to help St. Patrick beat Elizabeth, 89-72, in the Union County Tournament final and had 26 in a 73-57 victory over Science Park of Newark in the Tournament of Champions final. He scored over 1,000 points in his first two years of high school at Montclair Kimberley before transferring to St. Patrick High. Irving is ranked No. 6 overall and second among point guards by ESPN.com. He is also ranked No. 2 among point guards by Scout.com and No. 9 overall by Rivals.com. Irving’s dad, Drederick, played at Boston University in the late 1980s.

Thornton comes to Duke from Washington D.C. where he goes to Gonzaga College High School. A 6’2” point guard, Thornton is ranked No. 129 on the Rivals150 list and is ranked as the No. 29 player at his position. He is also ranked No. 20 by scout.com and No. 21 by ESPN.com among the nation’s top point guards. Last season, he averaged 14.4 points per game while leading Gonzaga to the WCAC Championship game, a one-point loss to DeMatha. Thornton was named to the All-WCAC first team and to the Washington D.C. All-Beltway second team as a junior.

Kewlswim
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi,

Then again, if a super duper recruit decides he wants to sign tomorrow I am sure Coach K's staff will happily write an addendum. :)

GO DUKE!

RockyMtDevil
11-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Seth is a huge addition to the class as well, unofficially of course. We will have a lot of weapons next year, especially on the wing.

Nolan
Curry
Dawkins
Irving
Thornton

could make up the best backcourt in the country.

Frontcourt will consist of:
Miles
Mason
Hairston
Cyz
Kelly

Even without the possibility of Roscoe Smith, this team could be very, very special.

The future is bright my friends.

RainingThrees
11-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Seth is a huge addition to the class as well, unofficially of course. We will have a lot of weapons next year, especially on the wing.

Nolan
Curry
Dawkins
Irving
Thornton

could make up the best backcourt in the country.

Frontcourt will consist of:
Miles
Mason
Hairston
Cyz
Kelly

Even without the possibility of Roscoe Smith, this team could be very, very special.

The future is bright my friends.

Excellent frontcourt and backcourt. All we need is a wing, and if Singler stays we will be the favorite for the title.

DukeSince'77
11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Singler??

RainingThrees
11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Singler??

There is no guarantee that he is staying.

RockyMtDevil
11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Nobody is saying he is guaranteed to stay, but he could and if he does, we are favorites in '10-11.

DukeSince'77
11-19-2009, 04:59 PM
I know there are no guarantees...transfers, injuries, leaving early, etc.

As you noted so well, the previous poster left him completely out.

Kedsy
11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Excellent frontcourt and backcourt. All we need is a wing, and if Singler stays we will be the favorite for the title.

I don't know that we definitely need a wing. On offense, one of the guards can be very effective there, as can Ryan (and maybe Olek or Josh). On defense, if the opponent is smallish and quick, then Andre or Nolan should be able to handle him and if he's bigger and not super quick, then Ryan, Olek, and/or Hairston should be able to deal. The only time we'd have a major problem is if the opponent had a lightning quick 6'8" guy, but how many of those are out there?

feldspar
11-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Alos, the fact that Duke released its fall signing class means that they don't expect anybody else to sign this fall -- meaning that if Roscoe Smith does end up picking Duke, it won't be the early signing period.

Hi,

Then again, if a super duper recruit decides he wants to sign tomorrow I am sure Coach K's staff will happily write an addendum. :)

GO DUKE!

Nobody else can sign until spring even if they wanted to. The early signing period ended yesterday.

feldspar
11-19-2009, 05:09 PM
There is no guarantee that he is staying.

Coach K was quoted by Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports just the other day as saying "Our goal for Kyle is for him to not be back next year."

Obviously, he's alluding to the National Championship, but it still leaves a pretty wide door open.

RainingThrees
11-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't know that we definitely need a wing. On offense, one of the guards can be very effective there, as can Ryan (and maybe Olek or Josh). On defense, if the opponent is smallish and quick, then Andre or Nolan should be able to handle him and if he's bigger and not super quick, then Ryan, Olek, and/or Hairston should be able to deal. The only time we'd have a major problem is if the opponent had a lightning quick 6'8" guy, but how many of those are out there?

Your right we don't need one, but having Singler on the team can't hurt at all.

Kedsy
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Your right we don't need one, but having Singler on the team can't hurt at all.

Obviously I'd love to have Kyle back, but as a previous poster noted, it's K's and Kyle's goal for him to leave after this season, so I'm not counting on it.

When I said we don't need a wing, I was mostly referring to the anticipated frenzy about how we absolutely have to have Roscoe or we're doomed (a sentiment with which I obviously disagree, even though getting Roscoe would be nice).

RainingThrees
11-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Obviously I'd love to have Kyle back, but as a previous poster noted, it's K's and Kyle's goal for him to leave after this season, so I'm not counting on it.

When I said we don't need a wing, I was mostly referring to the anticipated frenzy about how we absolutely have to have Roscoe or we're doomed (a sentiment with which I obviously disagree, even though getting Roscoe would be nice).

Thats from people who haven't got over Barnes yet. I'm trying to tone back on recruiting, better for the old ticker.

_Gary
11-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Nobody is saying he is guaranteed to stay, but he could and if he does, we are favorites in '10-11.

Without a doubt. I don't know what the percentage is that he stays (it's probably pretty low) but if he does come back we are absolutely favorites. I think we might be better than I originally expected this year too. :D

Gary

Edouble
11-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Coach K was quoted by Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports just the other day as saying "Our goal for Kyle is for him to not be back next year."

Obviously, he's alluding to the National Championship, but it still leaves a pretty wide door open.

I'm sorry, but what? What about a National Championship? What does that have to do with Kyle? Are you saying that Coach K is saying that the goal is for us to win the National Championship so that Kyle can leave early?

I don't think Kyle leaving has anything to do with a National Championship. I think the goal is for Kyle to excel at the position he is going to play as a pro over the next 30 games or so, and have him be in position to be a high first round pick in June.

I am really missing something if Kyle's leaving is dependent on our finish in March.