PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Final Win v. BCS Bowl Win

Pernell
11-19-2009, 11:42 AM
In anticipation of flying down to see us play Miami this weekend, I was thinking about how great it would be if one day Duke played in a BCS Bowl game(hey if Wake can do it, why can't we) and won.

And I was curious to know, would folks be more excited about Duke winning the NCAA tournament or winning a BCS Bowl game?

I didn't say BCS championship because...I guess I don't have that type of faith yet

Bluedog
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
NCAA final win. Not even close.

DukeSean
11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
In anticipation of flying down to see us play Miami this weekend, I was thinking about how great it would be if one day Duke played in a BCS Bowl game(hey if Wake can do it, why can't we) and won.

And I was curious to know, would folks be more excited about Duke winning the NCAA tournament or winning a BCS Bowl game?

I didn't say BCS championship because...I guess I don't have that type of faith yet

NCAA tournament, but I'll take either :-)

calltheobvious
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM

I understand why you didn't pose it this way, but a much more interesting--if less realistic--question would be whether people here would prefer a BCS title to an NCAAT championship. The results wouldn't be terribly surprising, but I think the motivating psychology would be interesting to study.

Jarhead
11-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Anything less than a championship is just that, less than a championship. A bowl game equates to an NIT post season win. We have won several bowl games with some pretty good feelings among us fans, but none of them rises to the level of a national championship, whatever the sport. If Coach Cutclifffe can bring us a national championship, it will be noticed, even celebrated, far wider than any other national honor. How does Wade/Cutcliffe sound as the new name for the renovated football stadium.

Pernell
11-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Anything less than a championship is just that, less than a championship. A bowl game equates to an NIT post season win. We have won several bowl games with some pretty good feelings among us fans, but none of them rises to the level of a national championship, whatever the sport. If Coach Cutclifffe can bring us a national championship, it will be noticed, even celebrated, far wider than any other national honor. How does Wade/Cutcliffe sound as the new name for the renovated football stadium.

NIT post season win...I think that's a little dramatic, but I understand your point. Yet, I think a Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl would be better than a NIT win, particularly in terms of revenue.

Ha...Wade/Cutcliffe would sound pretty nice:)

Since you mentioned that Duke had won several bowl games, which I didn't realize, I decided to take a look on the net(http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/duke_database.htm). I didn't realize we won a Sugar, Cotton, and Orange Bowl--granted our last bowl win was in 1960.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
NIT post season win...I think that's a little dramatic, but I understand your point. Yet, I think a Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl would be better than a NIT win, particularly in terms of revenue.

Since you mentioned that Duke had won several bowl games, which I didn't realize, I decided to take a look on the net(http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/duke_database.htm). I didn't realize we won a Sugar, Cotton, and Orange Bowl--granted our last bowl win was in 1960.

It's a rare school that's participated in all the major bowls.

hurleyfor3
11-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Put it this way, back-to-back championships in basketball didn't change Florida from being anything other than a football school.

Indoor66
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM

And it was the proceeds ($$$$) from the 1939 Rose Bowl (http://www.rosebowlhistory.org/rose-bowl-1939.php)that paid for the building of Duke (now Cameron) Indoor Stadium. Also, the 1942 Rose Bowl (http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/history/histnotes/rosebowl.html)was played at what is now Wallace Wade Stadium. IRRC, Duke is the only school in the ACC that has played in what used to be the major bowl games.

airowe
11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I'd take a NT in basketball over even a BCS Championship and here's why:

K's years are numbered but may be extended should he win a 4th title.

Cutcliffe's years may be numbered at Duke but I would certainly guess hed be gone after a BCS Championship. I hope we can hold on to Cut for a while with some bowl wins sprinkled in, but I hope the major accomplishments come 5 or 10 years down the road when through recruiting and good coaching the Duke Football program has been built up to a point where it can continue to be successful even after Cut leaves.

Olympic Fan
11-19-2009, 12:58 PM
A national championship is a national championship, whether we're talking basketball or football -- to me, they are equal.

But no way that merely winning a bowl game equates to winning a national title in basketball. I know there are almost four times as many Division 1 basketball teams as their are FBS football teams, but let's treat them equally.

Winning a BCS bowl (five teams) is roughly equal to a Final Four trip.
Losing in a BCS bowl is roughly equal to reaching the Elite Eight.

I would argue that reaching the Sweet 16 is better than any non-BCS bowl.

Winning a top-level non-BCS bowl (Chick-fil-a, Gator) would be similar to losing a pre-Sweet 16 NCAA game.

Losing a top-level non-BCS game or playing in a lower level bowl game would be similar to an NIT appearance.

At least that's the way I see it.

msdukie
11-19-2009, 01:12 PM
In 2007-08, Kansas won the Orange Bowl and won the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship.

If you took a survey of their fans of which they cared more about, I think you could easily predict the outcome.

allenmurray
11-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I think what is being left out of the argument is the "how far we have come" factor. Duke has been a national power in basketball for a long, long time. Another basketball championship for Duke would be like Usain Bolt winning another gold medal in the next Olympics. A gret accomplishment, but not altogether shocking. A major bowl win or BCS championship for Duke would be like Carl Lewis coming back and winning an Olympic gold medal.

Pernell
11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I think what is being left out of the argument is the "how far we have come" factor. Duke has been a national power in basketball for a long, long time. Another basketball championship for Duke would be like Usain Bolt winning another gold medal in the next Olympics. A gret accomplishment, but not altogether shocking. A major bowl win or BCS championship for Duke would be like Carl Lewis coming back and winning an Olympic gold medal.

Exactly!

I'm shocked that I'm even traveling to see our football team play.
Well, the game being in Miami/S.Beach area doesn't hurt either:)

Indoor66
11-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Exactly!

I'm shocked that I'm even traveling to see our football team play.
Well, the game being in Miami/S.Beach area doesn't hurt either:)

Landshark Stadium is in Broward County - a good bit north and west of South Beach! Still, Enjoy.

msdukie
11-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Landshark Stadium is in Broward County - a good bit north and west of South Beach! Still, Enjoy.

Actually, it is in Miami-Dade County...barely.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Now here is something we can agree on....I do actually pull for Duke football unless they are playing UNC...I am also a huge Tennessee fan and your coach was a great coordinator for us for years. So I will always pull for him to succeed. and I played peewee football with one of your running backs Jay Hollingsworth so I wouldnt mind one bit seeing duke in a bcs game...much rather see that than a ncaa championship final game

Greg_Newton
11-19-2009, 06:36 PM
I'd take BCS in a heartbeat, because it would mean our football program has become one of the premiere programs in the country. That would have a much longer lasting impact than a bball NT, as great as that would be, because our basketball team is already top 10 year in and year out. If Cut were to leave, well, he'd be leaving a very attraction situation for his potential successor.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2009, 07:18 PM
The question posed at the beginning of this thread is a bit like asking a parent to choose one of his/her children over the other. I see no reason to choose either, but rather aspire to both!