PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming ACC Games

Olympic Fan
11-19-2009, 11:20 AM
At first, I was so hungry for college basketball that I greedily devoured whatever I was offered -- from UNC-NCCU to Texas San Antonio at Iowa.

But ESPN's 24 hour hoops marathon kind of slated my appetite for bad basketball. I think the Temple-Georgetown game was the tipping point -- two interesting, major college teams playing a close, competitive game ... but the play was so awful that I had a hard time enjoying it.

Okay, I'm back in normal season mode, where I look for GOOD games to watch, especially involving ACC teams. Just thought I'd look ahead to see what's coming up:

Today
I'd love to see Georgia Tech-Dayton from Puerto Rico, but I can't -- it is on TV, but only on Comcast South. I don't get that. But I will check in.
Tonight, I'll definitely watch UNC-Ohio State in the Garden to see how the "mighty" Tar Heels do against a mid-level Big Ten team.

Friday
It should be Georgia Tech-Villanova from Puerto Rico ... and that one will be on an ESPN channel. Great chance to see if Hewitt's talented young team is ready for prime time.
UNC should get Cal -- a chance to see Jamal Boykin, plus UNC's guards against the best backcourt in the Pac 10.

Next Tuesday
FSU at Florida -- I'm there. Again, a chance to see Kenny Boynton and see if FSU can beat Florida for the fourth straight time. Also, I'm hoping that somebody on TV will pick up Virginia-Stanford from Cancun. A chance to see Tommy's team and to look at what Bennett is trying to do in C'ville.

Other than those, there are a bunch of ACC teams in tournaments and that will result in some interesting matchups. Maryland gets Chaminade to open in Maui Monday, but will play Cincinnati or Vanderbilt (which beat UNC in a secret scrimmage) in the second round Tuesday.

And of course, Duke plays Arizona State next Wednesday and probably UConn (maybe LSU) Friday.

That's plenty of interesting basketball to look forward to.

Indoor66
11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
5:55 in 1st half - Dayton 22, GT 20

94duke
11-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Dayton 31
GT 22
Halftime

Olympic Fan
11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Wish I could have seen this one -- Georgia Tech fought back and got close at the end, but lost 63-59 -- becoming just the second ACC team to lose so far (although, to be fair, Dayton is probably better than anybody else any ACC team has played so far).

The loss means that Tech gets the loser of the 2 p.m. Villanova-George Mason game. They still should get out of Puerto Rico with two wins and one loss. The 5th place game will be against Indiana, Ole Miss, Kansas State or BU.

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Ga. Tech loses.... people still predicting them to be top 3 in ACC makes me laugh (though Dayton is a quality opponent). This year, the ACC will be all about good coaching since it is so up in the air. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ga. Tech stumble and BC/MD to rise up.

airowe
11-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm officially off the Yellow Jacket bandwagon until they prove me otherwise. Riverside, I may owe you an apology down the road...

Eternal Outlaw
11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Wish I could have seen this one -- Georgia Tech fought back and got close at the end, but lost 63-59 -- becoming just the second ACC team to lose so far (although, to be fair, Dayton is probably better than anybody else any ACC team has played so far).

The loss means that Tech gets the loser of the 2 p.m. Villanova-George Mason game. They still should get out of Puerto Rico with two wins and one loss. The 5th place game will be against Indiana, Ole Miss, Kansas State or BU.

Not only did GT fight back, they had a 57-50 lead with 4:19 left. Looks like they had 4 TOs, 1-4 shooting from field, and 0-1 from the line after that.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I thought Ga. Tech was supposed to vastly improved this year. Just further proof that the "experts" are off again...I just hope that Ohio State doesn't expose my Heels tonight to be the overrated team that we probably are. who do yall have in the N.I.T preseason

Olympic Fan
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Miami just wrapped up a 74-54 victory over Tulane in Cancun. They'll get the winner of Penn State vs. UNC Wilmington in the second round tomorrow.

BTW, Villanova has trailed George Mason all the way and with 11 minutes left are down four. They'll probably win, but if they don't, wouldn't that be a bad break for Georgia Tech -- having to face a very POed Villanova in the loser's bracket.

Bob Green
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Geroge Mason is giving #6 Villanova a battle in Puerto Rico. GMU leads 52 - 47 with 10:04 left in the game. We may see that GT - Villanova matchup after all.

Bob Green
11-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Villanova squeeked out a 69-68 win. George Mason missed four of eight Free Throw attempts over the final 1:08. They went to the line four times and made one of two each time.

Olympic Fan
11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I watched the end of the game. Yeah, George Mason missed some free throws down the stretch, but so did Villanova. Their real undoing was their refusal to defend the 3-point shot in the last minute. Amazingly, GM is up four with just under a minute left and they drop back in a packed zone, giving up a wide open 3 on the wing to cut it to one. After hitting 1 of 2 FTs (again), they don't defend a freshman big man who hits the 3 with like 13 seconds left to put 'Nova up one.

GM calls timeout at midcourt, sets up a play ... then fails to get a shot off as time expired. They didn't have anything that looked like a shot.

Incidently, Taylor King played and had eight points and four rebounds for 'Nova. He fouled out with about four minutes to play, giving up the goahead basket at the time.

Georgia Tech will get George Mason tomorrow. I'll try to check the Dayton-Villanova game.

Also, UNC Wilmington upset Penn State -- they actually dominated the game. UNCW gets Miami in tomorrow's second round.

Bob Green
11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I watched the end of the game. Yeah, George Mason missed some free throws down the stretch, but so did Villanova. Their real undoing was their refusal to defend the 3-point shot in the last minute.
Georgia Tech will get George Mason tomorrow. I'll try to check the Dayton-Villanova game.

Thanks for the details. I didn't see the game just followed the play-by-play on ESPN.com. AFN has zero live college basketball coverage this entire weekend. They are showing the Championship Games of the Puerto Rico Tournament and Coaches vs Cancer taped delayed. American Forces Network's scheduling can be extremely frustrating at times, especially early in the season.

-jk
11-21-2009, 12:35 AM
The UNC loss was quite welcome. Heh. Heh. Heh.

But did BC really lose to St Joe's? Sheesh.

-jk

majinemesis
11-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Bob Green---I noticed you can't view the games. Have you heard of Slingbox? It's awesome. I used it in India for 2 months. The package has "guest accounts" so it's not like you need to have ATT U-verse at home.......all you need is a semi-good internet connection and a friend in the US(and a $300 one time fee).

YOU CAN WATCH EVERYTHING LIKE YOU ARE HOME! It blew my mind.

This is the year to get it---Mark

USAF(1990-1999)

Bob Green
11-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Bob Green---I noticed you can't view the games. Have you heard of Slingbox?

Yeah, I know about Slingbox but the sports coverage on AFN is actually pretty darn good. Plus I watch a lot of Internet TV, which is how I saw the first half of the Syracuse - Carolina game today and how I've watched several Duke football games this season. I'll be up at 2 am looking for the Duke - Miami game via JustinTV tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion but my tenure in Japan is coming to an end and I'll be back stateside in July 2010.