PDA

View Full Version : OSU VS Heels

whereinthehellami
11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
The holes play Ohio State tonight in Columbus. Here is a preview of OSU (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/278984-2009-2010-ohio-state-basketball-preview)from Bleacher Report. OSU returns 5 starters from the team that took them to the NCAA's last year, including 85% of their scoring. Unfortunately 1 of the starters, their center, Lauderdale is out for the game. Still I'll be interested to see how the holes do in Columbus agaisnt a team with more experience. OSU also should have some athletiscm on their team that could bother the heels. But OSU doesn't have much height or a good true PG. So the heels should win.

airowe
11-19-2009, 10:08 AM
For those who don't know, a Buckeye is in the nut family.

Let's Go Nuts!

This will be the first true test for the pUNCs down the road. I have a feeling this will be a close game throughout, with many lead changes. My fearless prediction:

tOSU 78
PUNCs 76

InSpades
11-19-2009, 10:14 AM
The holes play Ohio State tonight in Columbus.

Isn't the game in New York? I'm predicting OSU 84, UNC 72. Potentially this is wishful thinking but I sure wouldn't mind seeing them get blown out :).

jesus_hurley
11-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't care what the score is as long as UNC-CH loses. Badly. And commits a bunch of turnovers so Roy turns all sorts of funny colors. And yells at a team manager for moving the Sprite.

Pernell
11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Isn't the game in New York? I'm predicting OSU 84, UNC 72. Potentially this is wishful thinking but I sure wouldn't mind seeing them get blown out :).

Yes.

Syracuse v. Cal then OSU v. Holes

rthomas
11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
For those who don't know, a Buckeye is in the nut family.

Aesculus octandra, as a matter of fact.

CDu
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, this will be interesting. OSU is not big at all. They're also not at all deep. But they have a bunch of athletes and Evan Turner is really good and really versatile. But I think this is the type of good team that UNC should be able to beat.

airowe
11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, this will be interesting. OSU is not big at all. They're also not at all deep. But they have a bunch of athletes and Evan Turner is really good and really versatile. But I think this is the type of good team that UNC should be able to beat.

I'm interested to see Turner and Ginyard match up. Turner has been on fire since Matta put the ball in his hands and Ginyard is a great defender...

Newton_14
11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm interested to see Turner and Ginyard match up. Turner has been on fire since Matta put the ball in his hands and Ginyard is a great defender...

and remember "if you don't play D you get to sit on the bench with Roy" so Gayinard will have extra incentive to D-up better, especially with those dominant doublemint wear twins itching to get in the game.

roy demands d or sit.LOL LOL LOL 9F9F9F. that has to be the dumbest quote ever posted on DBR....

cwaugh
11-19-2009, 02:40 PM
It should be an interesting game to watch. UNC is going to pound Ohio State inside while Ohio State has a much better backcourt. I would say the key player for Ohio State is Diebler. This kid has a sick shot and if he's on then I say the Buckeyes win.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
This will be a good measuring point of how overrated we potentially are. I don't know of our achilles heal will be the backcourt or the lack of ability to hit shots from the perimeter. either way looking for a good game. and for the record I even as a UNC fan do not think we belong in the top 10 i want that on record before the game tonight

Indoor66
11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I predict OSU by 7.

moonpie23
11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
tarholes by 7

Indoor66
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM
tarholes by 7

This just goes to show how wrong you can be. :D

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 03:15 PM
I predict OSU by 7.

it hurts me to say but i think it may be worse

DukieInKansas
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
This is a painful game for me. I'm actually going to root for OSU. (That sound you are hearing is my father turning over in his grave. :D )

Huh?
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Has anyone here seen OSU play? I haven't caught them on TV this year.

moonpie23
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
we shall see, mister door...;)

Tim1515
11-19-2009, 04:34 PM
seems like the big boys are all squeaking out wins...i'll say UNC by 2

RainingThrees
11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
OSU has a good shot. I told this to a tarhole friend of mine and he said I was crazy and that OSU had no shot, this seems to be the sentiment among most Carolina fans. Some of them are actually saying that Carolina should be the #1 team in the country.

cbnaylor
11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I smell an upset brewing.

The_Greater_Blue
11-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Some of them are actually saying that Carolina should be the #1 team in the country.

Evidently some coach out there agrees...they still have a first place vote in the poll if I recall correctly...

ChicagoCrazy84
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Evan Turner will light them up. OSU by 6.

Go Bucks!

oldnavy
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Not sure why, but I get a gut feeling that OSU wins by 11. OSU 88, UNC 77.

-jk
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I think the line has UNC by 2.

-jk

sandinmyshoes
11-19-2009, 06:05 PM
OSU isn't big on the front line, but they have a big back court. I think their back court is like a 6-5 and 6-7 guy. So they should rebound from out of the back court well enought to counter UNC's size up front.

This game will probably come down to UNC hitting some threes or not. Although Williams' helter-skelter subbing could play into OSU's hands.

To be honest, I can think of a variety of outcomes, and none of them would really surprise me.

shoutingncu
11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
...Although Williams' helter-skelter subbing could play into OSU's hands.

Though I doubt it will, I'm hoping this is the first game where the bench shortens. Or at least, the playing time.

I'd like to see a more prolonged line-up on the floor, though I don't know who that would be.

sandinmyshoes
11-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Maybe with a young team he will tighten it up some to protect their confidence, but Williams always seems willing early in the season to risk a loss to get experience for his bench players.

Of course, OSU is probably good enough to beat UNC's first six or seven if the threes are not falling for UNC. I don't think UNC has to hit a ton, but they'll need to hit enough to get some operating room in the paint.

It will be interesting to see if Williams sags the man-defense some. It almost cost them using their bigs to pressure so far out on the court against Valpo, but Williams can be awfully stubborn from what I've seen. Especially, again, early in the season.

FireOgilvie
11-19-2009, 06:38 PM
This will be a good measuring point of how overrated we potentially are. I don't know of our achilles heal will be the backcourt or the lack of ability to hit shots from the perimeter. either way looking for a good game. and for the record I even as a UNC fan do not think we belong in the top 10 i want that on record before the game tonight

I agree that UNC doesn't belong in the top 10.

You're a UNC fan, right? "Go Heals!"

blazindw
11-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I grew up in Michigan a HUGE Wolverine fan, and you all know I'm the biggest Duke fan ever, so here's what I have to say about this game:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok, it's not fully out of my system, but I don't want to force you guys to read a full page of boos. ;) I hope BOTH teams lose by 100.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I agree that UNC doesn't belong in the top 10.

You're a UNC fan, right? "Go Heals!"

That is correct I am a proud UNC fan, but there is no denying that its impossible to replace the talent lost and think we belong in the top 10. If I am going to be logical about things I would have to say that we are overrated and Duke is probably a bit underrated. I think UNC fans that have said we should be number 1 as someone posted earlier are speaking from the heart and not their head.

oldnavy
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM
19 ppg, 17 rpg?? I know it is only two games, but 17 rpg???? That's crazy.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I expect a big game from Deon, Zeller and Davis.

UNC will get it inside in this one.

The question I have for UNC is can they get their passes crisper than they have shown and come to the ball. This is not a strong team putting the ball on the floor. Drew and Ginyard are fine, Graves OK, Deon and Davis are not going to dribble very often. Bench ballhandlers are young as are the big men subs.

They need to get comfortable with the passing game and they have not been there yet this season.

Keys to the game for UNC to win, limit TO's and make foul shots.

Keys for OSU to win, make the 3's and have their second teams step up.

UNC will get you with that second wave of talent, or when your top guys have to stay on the floor against UNC's second team, then you turn around and UNC's first team is back at you rested while you're tired...

UNC by 4....

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I have OSU by 4 here.

I think we see some poor defense by the tarheels tonight...

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Buckeyes are a horrible rebounding team, and they won't have enough possessions. Heels will kill them off the offensive boards.

Turner is a treat to watch, and he has a flair for the big lights. I wouldn't expect him to disappoint. He's a very efficient player, no wasted motion, and gets where he wants to go pretty much whenever he wants. A legit National Player of the Year contender, in my opinion, and the Big 10's best player.

dukemsu

Wheat/"/"/"
11-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I have OSU by 4 here.

I think we see some poor defense by the tarheels tonight...

This team can be very good defensively when they stop turning it over so much. Everyone loved to say last years team couldn't play D either, and then they did.....

Bob Green
11-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Some of them are actually saying that Carolina should be the #1 team in the country.

I know this doesn't suprise you. While I have had intelligent, rational basketball discussions with plenty of Carolina fans, I've also found some Carolina fans to be completely delusional when discussing the game. I'm sure there are delusional Duke fans out there as well just not on DBR. :)

shoutingncu
11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Turner is a treat to watch, and he has a flair for the big lights. I wouldn't expect him to disappoint. He's a very efficient player, no wasted motion, and gets where he wants to go pretty much whenever he wants. A legit National Player of the Year contender, in my opinion, and the Big 10's best player.

dukemsu

This is what I'm anxious to see. After Teague, Rice and Vasquez last season, how will this year's team handle dribble penetration?

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 08:46 PM
This team can be very good defensively when they stop turning it over so much. Everyone loved to say last years team couldn't play D either, and then they did.....

I agree about last year's team, but I haven't seen any impressive defense this year yet. Serious rotation issues from what I have seen.

Key word "can"...

CDu
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree about last year's team, but I haven't seen any impressive defense this year yet. Serious rotation issues from what I have seen.

Key word "can"...

They block a lot of shots, but otherwise I agree about this year's team so far. Last year's team was a veteran bunch that just needed to be motivated. This year's group is a little wet behind the ears. And I agree - key word "can."

Buckeye Devil
11-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Living in Ohio, I can say that the enthusiasm for OSU basketball is very high right now for this team and with the great recruiting class coming in next year. With that said, I think that OSU will be competitive for a while in this game but I don't think they have the inside game to compete with UNC, unfortunately.

Lauderdale is apparently out and he is the best inside player on the roster, at least with any experience. OSU is very perimeter oriented. Evan Turner is a solid player. If he sticks around next year (unlikely), OSU will be a preseason favorite not only in the Big 10 but also for the national championship.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Key word "can"...

Agreed. That's why I used it... :)

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 09:18 PM
while I have said multiple times on this thread that I believe we are overrated....i hope we dont get exposed as bad as Cal just got exposed by Syracuse.

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Bucks down a touchdown.

Not the start they were looking for. Need to get themselves under control and get a rebound.

dukemsu

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 09:39 PM
We look very out of control and sloppy...we are definitely take some lumps this year if this is not improved

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Both teams looky super sloppy. OSU driving without purpose and seems to have zero structure to offense... throwing the ball in to Carolina players. Carolina just throwing the ball away...

Ugly game

darkblue2769
11-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Really sloppy on both ends. Carolina's 20 turnovers/game statistic seems pretty accurate. If only their opponents didn't do the same....

Wheat/"/"/"
11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Really sloppy on both ends. Carolina's 20 turnovers/game statistic seems pretty accurate. If only their opponents didn't do the same....

...or could hit an open three (what have they missed...like 4 uncontested ones?)

juise
11-19-2009, 09:52 PM
OSU looks like a team that has become accustomed to playing against inferior competition. They are playing like they think they can get away with sloppy offense and live by offensive rebounds. I hope they snap out of it.

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Sherron Collins is a bit dramatic.

dukemsu

Newton_14
11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Syracuse has to be licking their chops right about now. This game is awful so far. Shot selection is killing Ohio State and the holes don't seem to have a clue about what they want to do on offense.

And Strickland, dude it would serve you well to get a game before mouthing off about other teams "systems" as it is obvious you have no clue what system your team runs. Not that it would matter with your skills...

This is hard to watch. Honestly..

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
The Bucks can't hit the broad side of a barn.

They should be down 20.

dukemsu

Newton_14
11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
The Bucks can't hit the broad side of a barn.

They should be down 20.

dukemsu

Because they are taking horrible shots. If they would move the ball and look for open shooters, or spread and drive they would be fine.

And if the doublemint twins are 6'10 then that puts me at about 6'2 (I check in at 5'9 in real life)

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Because they are taking horrible shots. If they would move the ball and look for open shooters, or spread and drive they would be fine.

And if the doublemint twins are 6'10 then that puts me at about 6'2 (I check in at 5'9 in real life)

OSU shoots a ton of threes. As you say, though, tonight they aren't taking them in the flow of the offense.

Agreed on you second point.

I may go to bed at half. Yikes, this is awful. It's not like the Heels are playing fantastic basketball.

dukemsu

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:05 PM
completely agree with everything I have read on here...agree that both teams look terrible...and sherron collins is a lil dramatic (paul pierce esque) but even as carolina game this is not fun game to watch

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Turner has allowed himself to be taken out of the game by the officials. Disappointing, considering he plays in the Big 10, home of the worst officiating in college basketball.

dukemsu

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:08 PM
the refs are a bit whistle happy thus far...but it hasnt mattered because ohio state cant hit free throws.....it looks like watching too bad rec ball teams this far

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Its not like OSU is getting taken out of the game by UNC's defense. They are just literally missing every open shot. what is their fg%??

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
The sheep like quite good to me folks. A ton of talent on the floor for the ugly shade of blue. And they seem to be in a flow now.

kong123
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
under 30%, but the holes haven't exactly been error free so far. they are still up 16 on the 15th ranked team in the nation, if our team was in this game, we would be quite pleased.

RelativeWays
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Right now Thad Matta and the buckeyes are punching their 1st class tickets to fraud town. UNC still has that nasty habit of playing up to their competition (excepting the NCAA Tourney of course).

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
55% to 29% fg.

I think both teams look pretty terrible, but it is obvious that Carolina COULD be very good with a solid PG.

CDu
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
This is what I was afraid of with OSU. They don't have the size to keep the Heels off the glass, and they don't have the ballhandling to create easy shots. If they aren't hitting shots they can't compete with a big team.

UNC has played sloppily, but OSU as well, and they don't have the margin for error.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I see positives, but the ball-handling has got to be improved. You can't turn the ball over 20+ times in ACC and win. I am optomistic that the freshmen will improve....like I said I see some positives but always some things that are not good at all

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:20 PM
hahhahaa. OSU is not a smart basketball team. CDU hit the nail on the head. Two average teams but one can cover it up with rebounding and size.

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
UNC's ball movement is terrific. It's when they have to put it on the floor they can get themselves in trouble. Graves is feasting on the Buckeyes' sagging down to the paint because of UNC's size.

That 3 before the half could have very well been a dagger. The first few minutes of the 2nd half may be telling of whether or not this one is worth staying up for.

Tucknut
11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
As I watch this game, the question that keeps running through my mind is why HB would want to play for that team and that coach.

Makes no sense to me....:confused:

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Two average teams but one can cover it up with rebounding and size.

If UNC is average then we are too.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
besides us maybe being overrated which I know all of yall agree with....is anybody else not sold on Kentucky? just curious

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:30 PM
If UNC is average then we are too.

why??

Wander
11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
if our team was in this game, we would be quite pleased.

I wouldn't be pleased. I'd already know that my team is tall, coached well, and good at rebounding, and would want to see them display some sort of skill on offense. UNC is of course well above an average team, but there's nothing in this particular half to be super impressed by.

Dexter Strickland deserves special mention here. He is HORRIBLE. Next time I say something critical about Lance or Zoubek, please, someone remind me that at least they're about five trillion times better than this guy. He's like a homeless man's version of a blindfolded Jordan Davidson with a broken leg. The kid shouldn't be trash talking middle school teams and coaches, let alone the Duke program.

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:33 PM
besides us maybe being overrated which I know all of yall agree with....is anybody else not sold on Kentucky? just curious

I'm not sold on any top 5 team being much better than teams in the 5-15 range. ALL the "contenders" look more vulnerable than contenders usually do at this point in the season.

UK doesn't even have a defense, much less a bad one, so... yah, im not sold yet.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-19-2009, 10:33 PM
That was a very good defensive half of basketball for the Heels. OSU was not getting hardly anything that was not strongly contested.

10 different players played significant minutes that half. Roy believes in baptism by fire.

UNC's offense still has to get better spacing and get better at breaking to the ball.

Got a little sloppy for a while there, and Deon having an off night with his touch.

UNC is big folks, their defense will not look as quick as a team like Duke's, but it is hard to score over them.

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
why??

The question is actually how? How could UNC be considered average? Look I despise them as much as anyone, but they have 9 players scoring in a half against the 15th ranked team in the country. Far from average.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:38 PM
totally off topic but is yalls football team bowl eligible? just curious if you have read some of my previous posts I have some personal ties to Duke football ...so i am just wondering

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:40 PM
The question is actually how? How could UNC be considered average? Look I despise them as much as anyone, but they have 9 players scoring in a half against the 15th ranked team in the country. Far from average.

you are not making any sense... at all...

kong123
11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't be pleased. I'd already know that my team is tall, coached well, and good at rebounding, and would want to see them display some sort of skill on offense. UNC is of course well above an average team, but there's nothing in this particular half to be super impressed by.

Dexter Strickland deserves special mention here. He is HORRIBLE. Next time I say something critical about Lance or Zoubek, please, someone remind me that at least they're about five trillion times better than this guy. He's like a homeless man's version of a blindfolded Jordan Davidson with a broken leg. The kid shouldn't be trash talking middle school teams and coaches, let alone the Duke program.

pleased with the result, its all about having more points than your opponent and right now, the heels have more points.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
pleased with the result, its all about having more points than your opponent and right now, the heels have more points.

agreed. I think Dukies would all be pleased with a 15 point advantage on a top 25 team

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
That was a very good defensive half of basketball for the Heels. OSU was not getting hardly anything that was not strongly contested.

10 different players played significant minutes that half. Roy believes in baptism by fire.

UNC's offense still has to get better spacing and get better at breaking to the ball.

Got a little sloppy for a while there, and Deon having an off night with his touch.

UNC is big folks, their defense will not look as quick as a team like Duke's, but it is hard to score over them.

Their movement off the ball has been very impressive.

Zeller subbing in for Davis, no let down for the sheep here.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:43 PM

I absolutely think that is a valid point. Roy's baptism by fire will pay divendends later

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM

true. very true. Although in November I tend to focus a lot more on the strengths and weaknesses of a team... how they are actually playing, rather than scores and rankings.

That being said, when it is my team... just show me the W.

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
you are not making any sense... at all...

You said UNC is average. I disagree. Is that clear?

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
This game tape will be burned by Matta.

Heels showing flashes.

I'm not sold on anyone at this point in the year. Still preseason for all intents and purposes.

dukemsu

77devil
11-19-2009, 10:49 PM

OS had plenty of uncontested shots, and while UNC's defense is more active than in previous games, OS can't throw it in the ocean tonight.

BlueintheFace
11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
You said UNC is average. I disagree. Is that clear?

It was, just wanted to make you say it.

I tend to agree with Vitale's analysis of this game:

OSU key players looking terrible and missing wide open shots...as well as "turnover turnover foul foul turnover turnover foul foul. That's what this game is."

From what I have seen so far this season, Carolina will match up well with some teams and terrible with others. I think they are average right now. I don't think they WILL BE average, but they turn the ball over and struggle with jumpers.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I just wana say I think for the most part than you guys have had some very interesting points about the game...and from what I have read know basketball...I enjoy reading your analysis on the game. Duke fans or not

dukeENG2003
11-19-2009, 10:53 PM
WHY are 44 and 21 still in the game for OSU? They are playing about as bad as they can. 21 is a turnover machine, and 44 has taken like 23 TERRIBLE shots.

UNC's defense has been good (although I think OSU is making them look better than they are), but I look forward to zoning them. They are bad outside shooters and bad ball handlers.

Zeller is good though, he scares me a bit.

As I'm typing, another bad shot from 44, sigh. . .

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I think the biggest difference between this tarheel team and last year's is that that Lawson would have these guys up by 35 by now.

Either that or we would still be waiting for Danny to finish his dance.

jipops
11-19-2009, 10:59 PM
It was, just wanted to make you say it.

umm... ok. satisfied?

From what I have seen so far this season, Carolina will match up well with some teams and terrible with others. I think they are average right now. I don't think they WILL BE average, but they turn the ball over and struggle with jumpers.

Good point, they can create matchup issues but face some as well. I guess I see an average team as one that might eventually flirt a little bit with bubble talk. After-all there are 300+ teams in division 1. I certainly don't see this happening to the guys in ugly blue.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 11:00 PM
dukeENG2003 I completely agree....the zone would be very effective against this team but hopefully by the time its time to roll down tobacco road we will have vastly improved

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
dukeENG2003 I completely agree....the zone would be very effective against this team but hopefully by the time its time to roll down tobacco road we will have vastly improved

Speaking of zones, it will be interesting to see how the Orange zone looks against the Heels tomorrow.

dukemsu

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Yikes, Turner.

10 turnovers.

This won't look good on the resume. He is a far better player than he has shown tonight.

dukemsu

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Speaking of zones, it will be interesting to see how the Orange zone looks against the Heels tomorrow.

dukemsu

absolutely. that will be a much better judge of where we are...i really dont understand why you would come out of a zone until they prove they can shoot thier way out of it

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
are these big 10 refs? way too many whistles on both ends of the court

kong123
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Syracuses zone is the best in the business, plus their size rivals UNC's. Tomorrow will be another good test.

chrisheery
11-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Carolina looks like a good team. Good, but not even very good. That is right now, though. They could be an excellent team by years end, but that would require a miraculous progression by one of their guards to become a stud PG.

However, Ohio State looks just plain awful. Really, the look like they haven't practiced prior to this game. What was the strategy here? Score a little as possible and never box out?

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 11:06 PM
are these big 10 refs? way too many whistles on both ends of the court

Can't be. If these were Big 10 refs, the Bucks wouldn't look so bewildered by all the whistles.

dukemsu

jipops
11-19-2009, 11:12 PM
It makes sense that OSU would play zone. But putting absolutely no pressure on the ball is playing into the heels' hands. They've had opportunities to trim the lead, but these defensive breakdowns are killing them.

El_Diablo
11-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Yikes, Turner.

10 turnovers.

This won't look good on the resume. He is a far better player than he has shown tonight.

dukemsu

That can't be right...Jay Bilas said he was First Team All-American!!! ;)

FireOgilvie
11-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Is it too early to call UNC's freshman class a bust?

Devilsfan
11-19-2009, 11:28 PM
They just removed the "THE" from Ohio State University. I turned off the game after hearing Dickie V talk about how "special" the heels' recruits were for next year.

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Is it too early to call UNC's freshman class a bust?

I think it's too early for anything.

dukemsu

kong123
11-19-2009, 11:29 PM
yes, don't be silly

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 11:32 PM
i think its beyond too early to call that a bust...just curious were you being serious

FireOgilvie
11-19-2009, 11:33 PM
You guys get so sensitive when anyone makes a joke about your precious Tar Heels haha.

But seriously, 6 pts on 3-8 shooting, 4 rebounds, 4 TOs between all FIVE of them. That's really bad for a bunch of 4/5 star players.

UNC is trying to do everything they can to blow this one.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 11:34 PM
maybe shouldnt have cut this game off

dukemsu
11-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Bucks waited a bit long to turn it on, but a nice rally nonetheless.

dukemsu

Greg_Newton
11-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Where has this OSU been all game? UNC seems like they have trouble against a quick, high-pressure defense that picks up far from the basket. It kind of makes me mad how terrible Turner has played tonight.

However, gotta give great to the Holes. For the first 35 minutes, they a) played great defense and b) dominated with basically size and talent alone. If you can do that to a top 15, it's a good sign of things to come when things start coming together.

Still, this late collapse has to be scary. If they play an elite team when they're on and clicking, it could get ugly.

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 11:35 PM
You guys get so sensitive when anyone makes a joke about your precious Tar Heels haha.

But seriously, 6 pts on 3-8 shooting, 4 rebounds, 4 TOs between all FIVE of them. That's really bad for a bunch of 4/5 star players.

UNC is trying to do everything they can to blow this one.

no kidding they couldnt do better if they were trying to lose

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 11:37 PM
a w is a w nonetheless....but cannot play for 30 minutes and expect to win....goodnite dukies

moonpie23
11-19-2009, 11:39 PM

well, i was 3 off.....but on the right side.... :mad:

Wheat/"/"/"
11-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I think the biggest difference between this tarheel team and last year's is that that Lawson would have these guys up by 35 by now.

Either that or we would still be waiting for Danny to finish his dance.
Nice coaching by Roy tonight.Managed the game nicely until late keeping it under control while developing his bench.Thatlate run is the danger you face by choosing to not try and put it away and giving the pups some burn.

The Wear brothers are impressive to me this early as freshmen. Look like solid jr's out there.Noticed Roy had one of them on the floor when it looked like OSU would foul late when it got tight. That's confidence in a player from the coach.

Graves looked better but still pressing a little on his shot.

Poor foul shooting will bite them sooner or later.

Kewlswim
11-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi,

I sometimes feel like people here care more about how UNC is progressing or if they are going to lose than enjoying Duke.

GO DUKE!

BlueintheFace
11-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Hi,

I sometimes feel like people here care more about how UNC is progressing or if they are going to lose than enjoying Duke.

GO DUKE!

There is only so much appreciating you can do... then you just have to channel the extra energy towards unbridled illogical hatred

Kewlswim
11-20-2009, 01:45 AM
There is only so much appreciating you can do... then you just have to channel the extra energy towards unbridled illogical hatred

As long as it keeps folks off the streets. :)

moonpie23
11-20-2009, 06:41 AM
i am still urging everyone to use caution when predicting how poorly the holes will be this season....

oldnavy
11-20-2009, 07:05 AM
I felt like I needed to take a bath after watching that game. Neither team looked good, and it was a slop fest. Even Dickie V was complaining about the flow or lack of flow in the game...

I blew my prediction, but I had no idea that OSU had never practiced shooting before, who would have thought???

CDu
11-20-2009, 07:50 AM
My thoughts on this one? Just an ugly, ugly basketball game.

As expected, OSU had a tough matchup situation. They were too small and lacked the playmaker at PG to create easy buckets. UNC dominated the boards early and OSU shot themselves into a big lead. Shots started falling and they ultimately managed to make up the rebounding difference which shocks me. But it was too late.

OSU's shooters (Diebler and Buford) didn't do them any favors. They were a combined 4-15 on threes (most of them open 3s), and 7-29 overall. That's a good way to lose a game. And Turner is not a PG. Maybe he can be a PG against bad teams, but not against good ones. His sloppy play on the ball also helped doom them.

As for UNC, they're big. They'll win a lot of games on size alone. But they're going to have to get a lot better with the ball if they're going to win against teams with some size and some semblance of an offensive gameplan. OSU didn't offer much in either of those regards. Tomorrow should be a bit more interesting with Syracuse. They have at least some size, and seem a bit better with the ball. Though they're typically a poor rebounding team, so again UNC may feast on the boards.

Ginyard had a nice game defensively against Turner. Turner is pretty much the perfect matchup for him I think - a guy who isn't explosively quick who gets by on size and strength. Ginyard is quick enough and committed enough to stay in front of a guy like Turner, and strong enough to force him out of his comfort zone. Turner wound up with 23 and 11, but the 10 turnovers were in some part due to Ginyard. And Ginyard shot well when open.

Graves had probably the best game I've seen from him. Drew had an okay game and the numbers looked better than I think his performance indicated, but he wasn't a liability. Other than that though, I wasn't terribly impressed.

The freshmen have a long way to go. None of them showed me anything. One of the Wears hit a wide open 15-footer and was the recipient of a nice pass from Ginyard for an easy dunk. Henson had a nice steal and a dunk off an inbounds. Other than that, you wouldn't know that those guys got 41 minutes on the floor. They were all just generally uninvolved in the game. They'll need to get better for UNC to be a consistently elite team. I continue to be unimpressed.

And Zeller continues to leave me wondering how he'll do against a big, physical opponent. He looks GREAT in the open floor and has a nice shooting touch. But he got just 2 rebounds in 16 minutes against an undersized OSU team, which is really unimpressive for an athletic 7-footer. It just doesn't seem like he wants to mix it up in the half court game.

Thompson had a very solid, though unspectacular game. 15, 12, and 3 blocks. He's been a consistent presence on the floor for them this year, which will be a must because they are getting so little from their perimeter so far.

And Davis just didn't have a great game. He's got loads of talent, but was a little too foul happy.

My main takeaway was just how flawed both these teams are. UNC may very well be a top-10 team right now, but that says more about how bad college basketball is right now than how good they are.

dukelifer
11-20-2009, 08:00 AM
My main takeaway was just how flawed both these teams are. UNC may very well be a top-10 team right now, but that says more about how bad college basketball is right now than how good they are.

This is very true - what we have learned is that unless a team is coming back with a good to excellent core- they tend to look very bad in Nov and get much much better as the year goes on. It is too early to tell anything about any team- and there is no great team out there right now. I only watch Duke now because the rest really does not matter until January. Make no mistake about it, UNC will get better- but their guard play is far below the standard that has been set in recent years.

RelativeWays
11-20-2009, 08:25 AM
I've said it before, but the 05-06 holes started off pretty terrible, struggling against Gardner Webb and losing to USC, it looked like they were in for a season of misery until things started to click and they ruined JJ's and Shelden's senior night (thats when I realized we would not win the NC that year). Trying to judge teams in November is an exercise in futility and I still think UNC tends to play up (or down) to their competition, particularly under Roy. They maintained the buckeyes for most of the game and they will not be as sloppy as they are now when we play them in February.

whereinthehellami
11-20-2009, 08:29 AM
what i took away from the game. UNC is a good, solid team. Will get better but there will holes in the heels throughout this year. OSU didn't have a PG, a C, and wasn't a good shooting team. not a good matchup against the holes.

jipops
11-20-2009, 10:05 AM
i am still urging everyone to use caution when predicting how poorly the holes will be this season....

I don't think it is predicting, it's more like wishful thinking. They'll have games where they struggle but I'd bet they'll be hovering around the top 10 all year. I actually want Henson and Davis to put up big numbers. I'd like for those guys to be gone after this year. :)

ChicagoHeel
11-20-2009, 10:40 AM
While there's no doubt room for improvement by the Heels, one of the things that impressed me was just how deep the team is. Roy has a lot of interchangeable parts on the front line. The upside of no one player standing out is that there is not a huge drop-off when bench players come in; there is no pressure for any one player to have a big game. I would not have expected that UNC could win so easily (last two minutes aside) with Davis playing only 18 minutes and having as many turnovers as field goals.

gumbomoop
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm not sold on any top 5 team being much better than teams in the 5-15 range. ALL the "contenders" look more vulnerable than contenders usually do at this point in the season.

UK doesn't even have a defense, much less a bad one, so... yah, im not sold yet.

Now that we can talk actual games and teams, rather than recruiting, presumably majority of threads from here on out ['til April] will focus on the progress of '09-'10 season. B-i-F makes key point here: there's not a single team that appears as strong as UNC, UConn, and Pitt at beginning of last season. Maybe Kansas or Texas at a stretch, but not IMO.

Johnboy
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I haven't paid much attention to UNC-CH this season, but I've noticed in at least a couple games, the Heels have turned the ball over quite a bit (20+ turnovers). I know in my head that it's only November and these games mean absolutely nothing, but my heart leaps up at the prospect of them not being good at taking care of the ball. Makes me like our chances better.

jesus_hurley
11-20-2009, 12:04 PM
While there's no doubt room for improvement by the Heels, one of the things that impressed me was just how deep the team is. Roy has a lot of interchangeable parts on the front line. The upside of no one player standing out is that there is not a huge drop-off when bench players come in; there is no pressure for any one player to have a big game. I would not have expected that UNC could win so easily (last two minutes aside) with Davis playing only 18 minutes and having as many turnovers as field goals.

One thing about this: In the past Roy's bench would often bring in a different look from the starters. This year, at least in the frontcourt, the bench is essentially the same type of player. Not a huge deal, but I do expect that, at times, they will struggle when faced with a team that is able to throw different types of players at them. Sort of like throwing Zoubs in there after a Plumlee :)

bluedevilallie
11-20-2009, 01:28 PM
two things I noticed last night--nearly 20 turnovers and the fact that OSU scored relentlessly the last 7-8 minutes of the game. It seemed like I looked once and they Holes were ahead big time and then again, they were only up by 2...what? While this team is strong--it isn't nearly as good as last year or even the year before that for that matter. They will go as far as Larry Drew will take them.

NSDukeFan
11-20-2009, 04:06 PM
So, how do you really feel about him? No, don't pull any punches. This middle of this paragraph made me laugh out loud.

Carolina will match up well with some teams and terrible with others. I think they are average right now. I don't think they WILL BE average, but they turn the ball over and struggle with jumpers.
This is my impression as well.

B-i-F makes key point here: there's not a single team that appears as strong as UNC, UConn, and Pitt at beginning of last season. Maybe Kansas or Texas at a stretch, but not IMO.
I agree. There are a lot of teams that have a reasonable chance to reach those final four spots this year.

devildeac
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Just looked at some stats from the game and Turner did have a triple-double:

23 points

11 boards

a

n

d

10 turnovers.:o:(:mad: