PDA

View Full Version : Retired Numbers

Blueequalslife23
11-19-2009, 02:59 AM
WOW. Looking at our retired numbers just being bored there are 13 retired numbers! WITH our returning players next year these are the numbers that are available.

1 (Irving), 14,15, 30, 40, 41, 42, 45, 50, 52, 54, 55. And you maybe be saying.. What's your point? Well with the amount of numbers eventually someday we are going to have more players then retired numbers. Do you unretire some numbers? ALSO.. Is there anyone in our rafters that didn't exactly deserve their jersey to be retired?

Bob Green
11-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Is there anyone in our rafters that didn't exactly deserve their jersey to be retired?

No!

I would argue that there is at least one player who deserved to have his number retired whose jersey isn't in the rafters: Bob Verga (http://www.dukeupdate.com/Alumni/bob_verga.htm).

CameronCrazy'11
11-19-2009, 08:40 AM
WOW. Looking at our retired numbers just being bored there are 13 retired numbers! WITH our returning players next year these are the numbers that are available.

1 (Irving), 14,15, 30, 40, 41, 42, 45, 50, 52, 54, 55. And you maybe be saying.. What's your point? Well with the amount of numbers eventually someday we are going to have more players then retired numbers. Do you unretire some numbers? ALSO.. Is there anyone in our rafters that didn't exactly deserve their jersey to be retired?

Seth is going to take 30, so 3 will be available again.

Highlander
11-19-2009, 08:45 AM

It's been awhile since we've had a Duke guy wear jersey #1. Also, don't think we've ever had a double zero either.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2009, 08:50 AM

It might be interesting to read about the guys whose jersey numbers are retired. Each was very special in Duke basketball history and would have been special no matter where they played. Each brought something very unique to change or otherwise influence the development of what we know as Duke basketball.

Battierfan01
11-19-2009, 08:58 AM
It's been awhile since we've had a Duke guy wear jersey #1. Also, don't think we've ever had a double zero either.

Does anybody know the last Duke player to wear jersey #1?? I don't remember anybody wearing that number.

JBDuke
11-19-2009, 09:00 AM
It might be interesting to read about the guys whose jersey numbers are retired. Each was very special in Duke basketball history and would have been special no matter where they played. Each brought something very unique to change or otherwise influence the development of what we know as Duke basketball.

The Duke Men's Basketball Media Guide is a treasure trove for this sort of thing. This section (http://www.goduke.com//pdf4/650653.pdf?SPSID=22748&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200) has a write-up of several paragraphs for each player that has had their jersey retired.

El_Diablo
11-19-2009, 09:25 AM

I think that by the time we actually reach the breaking point (decades from now, after we retire 11 more jerseys)...that the NCAA will have been lobbied to change the rule on number restrictions to include digits 6-9 (like the NBA). There's no compelling reason to keep using only 0-5, other than ease of ref signaling of player fouls with one hand per digit. That rule can be changed easily as well.

If for some reason the NCAA really wants to keep the restriction on 6-9...then we'll just either have to delay retiring jerseys or start un-retiring them. But again, this is decades away from happening.

airowe
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
We could always start "honoring" jerseys like the pUNCs do.

I kid, I kid.

I have a feeling the NCAA is going to have to change the rule limiting numbers 0-5. It can't be that hard for refs to use both hands twice for each digit in a jersey number.

Wander
11-19-2009, 10:09 AM
WOW. Looking at our retired numbers just being bored there are 13 retired numbers!

And it'll be 14 soon enough. :)

Battierfan01
11-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Are you referring to Singler?? :)

Jarhead
11-19-2009, 11:49 AM
WOW. Looking at our retired numbers just being bored there are 13 retired numbers...

Are you referring to Singler?? :)
As good as Singler is, he would have to stay for his senior year, and get national honors, but that's not out of the question. I'm pulling for you, Kyle.

hurleyfor3
11-19-2009, 12:48 PM
The specter of running out of numbers is in fact covered in the Handy Pocket Reference.

We should retire Verga! He wouldn't use up another available number. The Cubs did something similar this year retiring #31 to honor two players.

Faustus
11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
If I remember correctly, Bob Verga's number was 11 (as always, I could be quite wrong). Not sure what Bobby Hurley would think about re-retiring that one. :)

msdukie
11-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Hopefully, someday we will have the problem of too many retired numbers. But, I think we are putting the cart before the horse..

And, unless K changes his stance on numbers, Irving isn't wearing #1.

Olympic Fan
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Does anybody know the last Duke player to wear jersey #1?? I don't remember anybody wearing that number.

Duke has never had a No. 1.

Duke has also never had a #0 or a #00 (both allowable numbers). Every other allowable (under current rules) number has been used.

Verga was No. 11 -- which has been retired for Bobby Hurley. Don't know about the Cubs, but the NY Yankees have retired No. 8 both for Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra. I don't see why Duke can't retire No. 11 for Verga as well as Hurley. At the moment, just two former first-team consensus A-As have NOT had their jersey retired -- Verga and Elton Brand (and if he ever returned to get his degree, which is unlikely, I'd argue that his No. 42 should be retired too).

I think if Singler either (1) wins national player of the year honors as a junior; or (2) returns for his senior year and is a consensus first-team A-A that his No. 12 will be retired.

As for the danger of winning out of numbers -- I think that's far into the future before we have to worry about that -- beyond our lifetimes. It's like the old Woody Allen joke about the sun going supernova in three billion years: "Oh, three BILLION years ... whew, for a moment there, I thought you said three MILLION years."

The Gordog
11-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Seth is going to take 30, so 3 will be available again.

No. Jon is going to get #30 retired after leading us to a National Championship and being named NPOY.

Just thinking posatively. (sp?)

allenmurray
11-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Could we use √7 or π

El_Diablo
11-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Could we use √7 or π

That's not rational.

airowe
11-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Could we use √7 or π

That's not rational.

I'm sorry , I usually don't post stupid ha ha replies to posts, but that one made me bust out laughing.

ha ha

sagegrouse
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
:Originally Posted by allenmurray
Could we use √7 or π

: Originally posted by El Diablo.

That's not rational.

No, but at least it's real.

sagegrouse

Azdukefan
11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
No. Jon is going to get #30 retired after leading us to a National Championship and being named NPOY.

Just thinking posatively. (sp?)

I thought I was a glass half full guy. You are spewing Duke blue and I love it. But I dont think even if we did win a NC, Jon would get his number retired. Kyle.....now that another story.

sweetchiba51
11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Honestly, i think a national championship should be a mandatory...NPOY honors are nice, but NC's is what its all about...Dont kill me for saying this but I just dont think JJ, and Sheldon belong up there with, williams, battier, leattner, hurley, etc..

jesus_hurley
11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Honestly, i think a national championship should be a mandatory...NPOY honors are nice, but NC's is what its all about...Dont kill me for saying this but I just dont think JJ, and Sheldon belong up there with, williams, battier, leattner, hurley, etc..

What about Groat, Heyman, Mullins, Gminski, Dawkins (Johnny), Ferry? I'd venture to say that NPOY is as elusive as a national Championship.

hurleyfor3
11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Could we use √7 or π

Pi would work well because a referee can easily signal it. So would phi (the golden ratio, [1+sqrt(5)]/2). Not sure how you'd do square root signs with your hands.

Personally, though, I'd prefer to see Planck's constant.

Hey, that's two Max Planck references from me in one day.

Blueequalslife23
11-19-2009, 03:12 PM

I want to see Hairston wear 00. Like Arthur from Kansas.

Indoor66
11-19-2009, 03:15 PM
I want to see Hairston wear 00. Like Arthur from Kansas.

Or Montross & Haywood of the sheep, :o:mad:

Blueequalslife23
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Hopefully, someday we will have the problem of too many retired numbers. But, I think we are putting the cart before the horse..

And, unless K changes his stance on numbers, Irving isn't wearing #1.

What's coach K's stance on jerseys?

sagegrouse
11-19-2009, 03:39 PM

So, if Duke had not won a national championship, then no jerseys should have been retired?

I thought these were celebrations of individual careers (A-A, NPOY, etc.). If we win a National Championship we put a huge tapestry covering up some major wall space at the end of CIS. Why should we only recognize individuals who play on these teams? Don't they get rings, anyway?

sagegrouse

RoyalBlue08
11-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I disagree with this. JJ was the ACC all time leading points leader when he left. That is a no brainer retirement. However, if there is one name in the rafters I think is questionable it may be Sheldon. He was obviously a great player for us, but I think only borderline when it comes to retiring the jersey.

sweetchiba51
11-19-2009, 04:00 PM
i know, i know, i guess maybe only sheldon is questionable...i just put the fore mentioned players on a higher pedestal...The things those guys did for this program, and the way they just refused to lose gives me goose bumps..

Go Duke!

El_Diablo
11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Shelden

Carolina_Blue
11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
What a great problem to have! I think whether your a heel or a devil you can appreciate all the great players that have played on both sides. That make the rivalry what it is. Im sure most of you have bad memories about a lot of the players in our rafters, as my bad memories are hung in the rafters of Cameron indoor. Shane Battier is the first that comes to mind. Then there is JJ Reddick who I absolutely hated! One of my greatest joys in life came seeing him cry on senior night at cameron indoor. (sorry) Dawkins was before my time but he is still a thorn in my side anytime I see highlights.

msdukie
11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Shelden

Maybe after 10 years we'll be able to spell his name correctly....

NSDukeFan
11-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I disagree with this. JJ was the ACC all time leading points leader when he left. That is a no brainer retirement. However, if there is one name in the rafters I think is questionable it may be Sheldon. He was obviously a great player for us, but I think only borderline when it comes to retiring the jersey.

He was NDPOY and first team AA, though. I think he deserves to be up there.

El_Diablo
11-20-2009, 04:37 PM
He was NDPOY and first team AA, though. I think he deserves to be up there.

He was actually NDPOY TWICE...and he's the career leader in blocks and rebounds at Duke. He might have been overshadowed a little bit playing with JJ--but Shelden fully deserves to have his jersey retired.

uh_no
11-20-2009, 05:46 PM
No, but at least it's real.

sagegrouse

still radical though....

Neals384
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
FYI, there are still 21 active numbers available, without using 0, 00, or 1, and without using digits 6 thru 9.

Kimist
11-20-2009, 11:12 PM
The Duke Men's Basketball Media Guide is a treasure trove for this sort of thing. This section (http://www.goduke.com//pdf4/650653.pdf?SPSID=22748&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200) has a write-up of several paragraphs for each player that has had their jersey retired.

Yup - I can even remember when contributors to the Iron Dukes were annually sent a copy of the football and basketball media guides....:o

Chris4UNC
11-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Sheldon would be iffy....but JJ is an easy call. Great player.

Chris4UNC
11-21-2009, 12:17 AM
I thought I was a glass half full guy. You are spewing Duke blue and I love it. But I dont think even if we did win a NC, Jon would get his number retired. Kyle.....now that another story.
National championship? And I thought the pollster were over-rating my Heels at #4! Not gonna happen. Just like I don't let my loyalty to UNC get in the way of thinking they were/are ranked too high at 4th, don't let yours lead you into thinking Duke is going to win a title this year. Both will have good seasons but neither will hang a 2010 national title banner from the rafters.

Franzez
11-21-2009, 01:07 PM
As good as Singler is, he would have to stay for his senior year, and get national honors, but that's not out of the question. I'm pulling for you, Kyle.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got National honors this year.

I can't name another basketball player in the country who is more important to his "contending" team than Singler.

Kalin Lucas? Cole Aldrich?