PDA

View Full Version : Jon Scheyer and speed of play

Lord Ash
11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Having now watched Jon for three and change years, I am still amazed by the speed at which Jon plays, primarily because his deliberate speed allows him to do ANYTHING.

He is not the fastest guy in the world by any stretch of the imagination... but what I love about his speed is that he always moves at a speed that allows him to change direction/pass/shoot at ANY point in his movement. On the first bounce of a dribble he can do anything, and then again on the second, and the same on the third... no matter where he is, he is always at a speed where he can shoot or pass or continue going or change direction. And what is interesting is that very, very few people seem able to push him out of this deliberate, able-to-perform speed.

SupaDave
11-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Hmmmm, I think the longer strides may be hypnotizing you some. He's moving fast. And there aren't too many guards who can't pull up and shoot at any time at this level. John Wall proved it yesterday. UNC Charlotte proved it tonight.

I think Jon's excellent body control should be more of what you want to concentrate on here.

Acymetric
11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
While we're we're talking about Jon, if a stat was kept for rebounds on one's own jumpshots, I'm pretty sure Jon would be way out in the lead...I saw it happen twice that I clearly remember tonight, and I may not remember all of them. Its a little different for forwards and centers who can go for a putback on a missed shot close to the basket, but shooting a jumpshot, recognizing it may not go in, and running to the basket for the board is just great effort.

roywhite
11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Having now watched Jon for three and change years, I am still amazed by the speed at which Jon plays, primarily because his deliberate speed allows him to do ANYTHING.

He is not the fastest guy in the world by any stretch of the imagination... but what I love about his speed is that he always moves at a speed that allows him to change direction/pass/shoot at ANY point in his movement. On the first bounce of a dribble he can do anything, and then again on the second, and the same on the third... no matter where he is, he is always at a speed where he can shoot or pass or continue going or change direction. And what is interesting is that very, very few people seem able to push him out of this deliberate, able-to-perform speed.

Agree...though he didn't look good against Villanova's pressure. Anomaly? Improved? What team will give us that test?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2009, 10:15 PM
While we're we're talking about Jon, if a stat was kept for rebounds on one's own jumpshots, I'm pretty sure Jon would be way out in the lead...I saw it happen twice that I clearly remember tonight, and I may not remember all of them. Its a little different for forwards and centers who can go for a putback on a missed shot close to the basket, but shooting a jumpshot, recognizing it may not go in, and running to the basket for the board is just great effort.
I made the exact same comment about his two "follow his own shot 'cause it ain't going in" rebounds and subsequent put backs. He knew exactly where the rebounds would be going, got there, and took care of business! :cool: What a pleasure to watch!:D