PDA

View Full Version : MBB: (2) Michigan State 75, Gonzaga 71

trinity92
11-17-2009, 08:36 PM
We'll be playing the 'Zags in about a month, and they look big, long and solid. They've taken an amped Spartan crowd totally out of the game and are just beating up on State at home. Zags have a freshman center that reminds me of Boozer.

Well worth watching, both for the quality of competition, possible upset and scouting a future foe.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
I hope they win tonight and lose when they play us.

CameronDuke
11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
There is a lot of time left in this one. I guarantee you Tom Izzo makes some halftime adjustments and the Spartans play better in the second half. Right now, Gonzaga is playing at an extremely high level and they won't be able to sustain it for 40 minutes. Actually, I will go ahead and guarantee a Michigan State victory right now. There is absolutely no way Gonzaga plays this well the entire game. As a matter of fact, Michigan is tightening it back up right now. I'm hoping Gonzaga wins, but mark my words, MSU wins this game.

dukemsu
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
There is a lot of time left in this one. I guarantee you Tom Izzo makes some halftime adjustments and the Spartans play better in the second half. Right now, Gonzaga is playing at an extremely high level and they won't be able to sustain it for 40 minutes. Actually, I will go ahead and guarantee a Michigan State victory right now. There is absolutely no way Gonzaga plays this well the entire game. As a matter of fact, Michigan is tightening it back up right now. I'm hoping Gonzaga wins, but mark my words, MSU wins this game.

Some things jump out immediately-State's a mess right now, partially due to hubris, partially due to injuries to Morgan and Roe, and partially due to having three frontcourt players learning Divison 1 defense at once. The Zags are cleaning up with interior passing for layups.

Gonzaga is pretty good too. Very impressive thus far. Lucas may be able to carry the Spartans back tonight, but they've got a lot to work on.

dukemsu

CameronDuke
11-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I agree, they aren't the #2 team in the country right now, but there is no way they lose this one at home after Coach Izzo gets ahold of them in the locker room at halftime. Look for a HUGE run for them coming out of the gates in the second half. I'm prediciting a 20-2 run or something around there at the beginning of the second half. I would be really surprised if this doesn't happen. Michigan State wins this one going away in the second half, though you are right, their play has left lots to be desired for up to this point.

dukemsu
11-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree, they aren't the #2 team in the country right now, but there is no way they lose this one at home after Coach Izzo gets ahold of them in the locker room at halftime. Look for a HUGE run for them coming out of the gates in the second half. I'm prediciting a 20-2 run or something around there at the beginning of the second half. I would be really surprised if this doesn't happen. Michigan State wins this one going away in the second half, though you are right, their play has left lots to be desired for up to this point.

I think the Zags get them tonight unless one player, either Lucas or Summers, goes off. State is just playing very disjointed basketball at both ends, and that's not something Izzo can fix in 15 minutes. He'll sure try, though.

dukemsu

CameronDuke
11-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I respect that, just can't agree. The Zags are such a well coached team, like MSU, and are playing tough, but if MSU plays halfway up to their potential in the second half they blow Gonzaga right out of the gym. They just have to put together a few stops on defense and get out into that transition game they execute so well and they will get layup after layup. It all starts with getting into passing lanes on defense for them and forcing turnovers. The offense will come if it starts with solid defense. I can't see them playing this poorly for the next twenty minutes.

Acymetric
11-17-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think anyone can accuse MSU of getting special treatment from the refs at home...I think they got screwed about 5 times in the past 2 minutes. Goaltend may have been a makeup call.

dukemsu
11-17-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't think anyone can accuse MSU of getting special treatment from the refs at home...I think they got screwed about 5 times in the past 2 minutes. Goaltend may have been a makeup call.

State has been borderline awful tonight and has virtually no business being in the game. Can't blame the refs when you have 19 turnovers.

dukemsu

BlueintheFace
11-17-2009, 10:15 PM
so much good basketball tonight, i don't know what to do with myself

trinity92
11-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Gonzaga sustained their play very nicely-- should be a good game against them.

dukemsu
11-17-2009, 10:31 PM

The Zags are good. Very impressed with their interior play and their overall composure in a place that's not easy to play in. Summers saved MSU.

dukemsu

CameronDuke
11-17-2009, 10:37 PM

I agree. It will definitely be a good game against the Zags. They are such a well coached team and play tough defense. I knew they wouldn't win tonight but they played better in the second half than I had anticipated. They will be a good opponent for Duke later on this season for sure.