PDA

View Full Version : ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia

mph
11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Has anyone bought or browsed through a copy? Based on the description it sounds like the ultimate coffee table book for college basketball fans, but a lot obviously depends on the quality of the writing.

jimsumner
11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Not a lot of writing. Lots of charts, lists, stats, standings, NCAAT boxscores, and brief, narrative recaps.

In my line of work, this was a no-brainer. Not sure that would apply to a casual fan.

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Not a lot of writing. Lots of charts, lists, stats, standings, NCAAT boxscores, and brief, narrative recaps.

In my line of work, this was a no-brainer. Not sure that would apply to a casual fan.

That's funny. I would never have associated no-brainer and your line of work until you mentioned it. :eek: :D

whereinthehellami
11-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Timber. Seems like it would be easier to get the info online.

BlueDevilBaby
11-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Timber. Seems like it would be easier to get the info online.

Agreed, plus it will be out of date in a year.;)

Cavlaw
11-17-2009, 09:31 PM
My wife was thinking about getting this for me for the holidays, but we weren't sure I would ever actually open it, rather than just display it on the coffee table...

mph
11-18-2009, 12:46 AM
My wife was thinking about getting this for me for the holidays, but we weren't sure I would ever actually open it, rather than just display it on the coffee table...

I'm in the same situation. The one review on Amazon and what little I've heard on ESPN makes it sound like there are a few hundred pages of college basketball history followed by an exhaustive statistical breakdown of each D1 team. Jim's description makes it sound like there's less narrative than I had been led to believe, making it less likely it would get much use in my house. It's probably time to make a trip to the local bookstore and take a look for myself.

Jumbo
11-18-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm in the same situation. The one review on Amazon and what little I've heard on ESPN makes it sound like there are a few hundred pages of college basketball history followed by an exhaustive statistical breakdown of each D1 team. Jim's description makes it sound like there's less narrative than I had been led to believe, making it less likely it would get much use in my house. It's probably time to make a trip to the local bookstore and take a look for myself.

It looks great. Plenty of both -- narrative and stats. The thing is freaking huge, after all.