PDA

View Full Version : Duke's Glory Days are Returning!

drksuh
11-17-2009, 11:28 AM
The Duke Glory Days will be returning!!!

OK, we lost our most important recruit in years. Some may argue Kyrie is most important, but let's admit it; we've had recent high profile guards who have not panned out. Harrison Barnes was most important because he is an athletic front court player which we need desperately. Front court players with their extraordinary length are more rare than more average-sized guards. Nevertheless we will have scholarships to offer future elite front court prospects.

Let's face it, not every kid is cut out for the elite level of Duke. We are a cerebral team with a cerebral coach, and some individuals simply do not fit our profile. There are more athletic teams which Duke destroys (e.g. UNLV in 1991) not based on physical skills alone, but on a combination of attributes including intellectual strategy. HB hurts because he could have been that great combination of physical and intellectual.

Success breeds success, and that is why our wrong shade of blue adversaries are excelling now. How quickly is forgotten their 8-20 debacle of only a few years ago which was in part a product of our domination. There are cycles in life, and they are on a high, but no one can maintain a pedestal on top. Our cycle is a bit down, yet it is inevitable for us to return to the highest pedestal in the near future. We have the tradition; we have the coach; we have the Cameron Crazies; we have a superior institution to offer.

We are Duke! Glory Days are soon returning!!!

1999ballboy
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Is UNC really on that much of a high, or are people just high on them? Sure, they got Barnes, along with a very good recruiting class. Sure, they're gloating over that. But they're losing their 2 most valuable players next year (Thompson and Ginyard). Probably 3 actually (Ed Davis to the NBA). This year's freshmen have looked disappointing so far. And they have even less guard play than Duke does right now. And next year? Scheyer will be missed, but Duke's guards once again are likely to be better than UNC's. The Holes are getting a couple of stud recruits to play guard, but Kyrie's supposed to be better than both of 'em. And don't forget Seth Curry. Nolan and Dre should be very good next year. So they're going to have a depleted frontcourt and an inexperienced backcourt, and we'll be back to the guard-oriented style we're more comfortable with. I'm not worried. Barnes Schmarnes.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Is UNC really on that much of a high, or are people just high on them? Sure, they got Barnes, along with a very good recruiting class. Sure, they're gloating over that. But they're losing their 2 most valuable players next year (Thompson and Ginyard). Probably 3 actually (Ed Davis to the NBA). This year's freshmen have looked disappointing so far. And they have even less guard play than Duke does right now. And next year? Scheyer will be missed, but Duke's guards once again are likely to be better than UNC's. The Holes are getting a couple of stud recruits to play guard, but Kyrie's supposed to be better than both of 'em. And don't forget Seth Curry. Nolan and Dre should be very good next year. So they're going to have a depleted frontcourt and an inexperienced backcourt, and we'll be back to the guard-oriented style we're more comfortable with. I'm not worried. Barnes Schmarnes.

I like the way you think!!!!
Love, Ima

6th Man
11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I would say while we have experienced some high profile guards that haven't turned out the way we might have thought, Kyrie is on a different level than anyone we have signed lately. Even the analysts say he is the best PG we have signed since J-Will. I do think good times are ahead and feel pretty confident in saying Kyrie Irving will be a huge part of that. He is exactly what we have been missing for quite some time.

Also, for those that have watched Duke only play UNC-G and Coastal Carolina, wait until you see the difference Nolan Smith makes tonight. It will be night and day. I watched the exhibition when he sat the first half and played the second. It was like 2 totally different teams.

dliles
11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I would say that with 30 wins per year, the glory days never left.

hq2
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Being old enough to remember the Dark Ages (most of the 70s) I agree. A season like that back then would have been considered unbelievable. It's all relative. Duke and Carolina dominance tends go in cycles; Duke early-mid 60s, Carolina late 60s most of the 70s, Duke late 70s, Carolina early 80s, Duke late 80s and early 90s, Carolina mid 90s, Duke late 90s and early-mid 00s,
Carolina now. We'll be back, and they'll have their problems. They were actually lucky to keep both of their championship classes intact; both of them would have left early if they had been NBA-ready. Don't expect Roy to have that kind of luck indefinitely.

drksuh
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
hq2 that's definitely the truth!

Billy Dat
11-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Is UNC really on that much of a high, or are people just high on them?

Let's not go crazy...I am with you on the Barnes Shmarnes, but UNC has won 2 National Championships in 5 years plus one Final Four. They have hauled in fantastic recruiting classes. So, I'd say they are truly on a high and, as a result, people are high on them. They currently sit atop the college bball world and have earned their place.

I am assuming that your "Glory Days" refers to Final Fours and National Championships. If the past 5 years has taught me anything, it shows how elusive getting to FFs can be, and how nearly everything needs to go right to win a NC. When you consider our 1986 - 1994 run, it truly boggles the mind that we were able to keep going back they way we did.

I think that the pieces are falling into place for another "Glory Days" run, and if it happens, I won't consider myself lucky...because I already consider myself lucky to root for this program...but I'll be amazed that the stars aligned again to provide our top notch program with a good measure of luck and pixie dust.

1999ballboy
11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
You know what's funny, is I honestly didn't think for one second about the national championship and haven't thought much of it lately. The OP is correct- success breeds success, and I'm sure their recent successes contributed to their getting Schmarrison Schmarnes. But the present situation is not all that bleak for us. Nothing on the UNC team right now is particularly intimidating, and Duke is in great shape to improve at the same rate as UNC over the next year. Forget about the championships- it's a zero-zero ballgame as far as I'm concerned.