PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's 24 Hour College Basketball Marathon

blazindw
11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Has anyone been watching the games? I've seen all or part of every game so far. Been some pretty good games so far. In the first game, UCLA went down to CS-Fullerton at Pauley Pavilion in OT in a game that didn't end till 2:45am Eastern. Saw most of St. Mary's-San Diego State before drifting off to sleep and waking up in time to catch the end of the Hawaii-Northern Colorado game and the start of Monmouth-St. Peters at 6am (and in a full arena, no less). Drexel fell to Niagara in the 8am game and now I'm watching Clemson at Liberty.

What a great day of college hoops! And, FYI, the Duke game is a part of this marathon, which is the reason for the 6pm start time.

calltheobvious
11-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Has anyone been watching the games? I've seen all or part of every game so far. Been some pretty good games so far. In the first game, UCLA went down to CS-Fullerton at Pauley Pavilion in OT in a game that didn't end till 2:45am Eastern. Saw most of St. Mary's-San Diego State before drifting off to sleep and waking up in time to catch the end of the Hawaii-Northern Colorado game and the start of Monmouth-St. Peters at 6am (and in a full arena, no less). Drexel fell to Niagara in the 8am game and now I'm watching Clemson at Liberty.

What a great day of college hoops! And, FYI, the Duke game is a part of this marathon, which is the reason for the 6pm start time.

DW, make sure to manage your game-watching minutes very carefully. At this pace, there's no way you're going to have much left in the tank for the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Haven't we been over this already?

blazindw
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
DW, make sure to manage your game-watching minutes very carefully. At this pace, there's no way you're going to have much left in the tank for the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Haven't we been over this already?

Trust me, I ALWAYS have enough in the tank for tourney time!

pfrduke
11-17-2009, 11:02 AM

UCLA is really going to struggle this year without Collison. I wonder if Howland was surprised by Jrue Holliday leaving early - he would have been a huge help to that team. As it was, they looked lost in the half court offense (although CSF's 3-2 zone had something to do with that too) and just chucked up a lot of threes, most of which were not close to going in.

Put another way, when Michael Roll is your best playmaker, you're in for a long season.

riverside6
11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Loving the 24 hours of basketball, great way to kickoff the college basketball season (in a since).

Clemson just looked might impressive beating Liberty 79-39.

theAlaskanBear
11-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I caught the second half of the Clemson game. They are going to be a tough team to beat this year.

They played great defense. Athletic, pressing team. Duke could struggle against them. I think this is the year they break the UNC streak.

gethlives
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
They played great defense. Athletic, pressing team. Duke could struggle against them. I think this is the year they break the UNC streak.

I agree there is no way Carolina will beat Clemson this year in Chapel Hill.

airowe
11-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I'll bet you 10 million dollars Clemson does not beat UNC in Chapel Hill this year in Men's Basketball.

Edouble
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Trust me, I ALWAYS have enough in the tank for tourney time!

You are my kind of guy. :p

Yeah, there is no way that Clemson is winning in the Dome this year. They've had better opportunities than this year and blown them.

The games are on JustinTV, for those that want to sneak a peak at work, or have the games on your computer while you watch your soaps, or whatever you people do (your business, not mine).

http://www.justin.tv/cbb2k8

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
For those who want to take a break from college ball this afternoon, NBA TV is showing the Brandon Jennings 55pt game again at 1pm.

I watched him nearly beat the Mavs last night. I'm impressed.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/11/17/hangtime.blog/

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I'll bet you 10 million dollars Clemson does not beat UNC in Chapel Hill this year in Men's Basketball.

Can you pay off if you lose? If so, I might consider the bet.

sagegrouse
11-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, there is no way that Clemson is winning in the Dome this year. They've had better opportunities than this year and blown them.

http://www.justin.tv/cbb2k8

Edouble:

I believe airowe was basing his wager on the fact that UNC plays at Clemson in the only scheduled game between the two.

sagegrouse

throatybeard
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
I really don't think this marketing strategy is a good idea. You make good ratings on the margins, not with the diehards who will watch East Fruit-Rollup State versus Nebraska at 4:00 in the morning. This sport is already horribly overexposed.

ESPN had a poll asking when you start paying attention to College BB. Only about a quarter answered "I already am," and a greater number said "not until March Madness." (another significant fraction answered something like February 1st, which amounts to when Football is over). This problem is exacerbated by all this excessive November basketball. The greater percentage of your product that involves low-interest early season games, the more the moderate and casual fans are going to say screw it, I'll start paying attention in late winter.

NFL network is putting two 4-5 teams (Panthers v Dolphins) on TV on a TH. And not everyone can get the network. And it will crush Eventual NCAA Bubble State versus Two Horse Tech in the ratings.

whereinthehellami
11-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Change the "could" to "will" and right on. This is the kind of team that will cause Duke fits. This would be the time to play some zone.

BlueintheFace
11-17-2009, 01:35 PM

I think this is the year. A "signature bet" might be in store later this year...

airowe
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
You're on BlueInTheFace. Any bet, any amount, any signature, etc. As much as I hope Clemson will beat UNC in SC, it aint happening in Chapel Hill.

Sagegrouse is right BTW.

I agree that this isn't the best thing for college basketball. The primetime games are great and will carry the ratings for the rest of these games, but too much of a good thing is definitely bad. Too much of a bad team (two bad teams playing at 3:30 AM EST) does not make for good TV. Blazindw, I'm surprised you've watched all these games. You are much more hardcore than I.

theAlaskanBear
11-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I hate this uneven scheduling! I didnt realize that UNC wont play Clemson @ UNC this year. My bad.

The eighteen game home and away was the best college bb schedule ever. The ACC expansion was really hard for me to get over. Too bad football always is always the #1 consideration in american sports.

Battierfan01
11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I hate this uneven scheduling! I didnt realize
The eighteen game home and away was the best college bb schedule ever. The ACC expansion was really hard for me to get over. Too bad football always is always the #1 consideration in american sports.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it sixteen games??

pfrduke
11-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I hate this uneven scheduling! I didnt realize that UNC wont play Clemson @ UNC this year. My bad.

The sixteen game home and away was the best college bb schedule ever. The ACC expansion was really hard for me to get over. Too bad money is always the #1 consideration in american sports.

See corrections above.

mo.st.dukie
11-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I really don't think this marketing strategy is a good idea. You make good ratings on the margins, not with the diehards who will watch East Fruit-Rollup State versus Nebraska at 4:00 in the morning. This sport is already horribly overexposed.

ESPN had a poll asking when you start paying attention to College BB. Only about a quarter answered "I already am," and a greater number said "not until March Madness." (another significant fraction answered something like February 1st, which amounts to when Football is over). This problem is exacerbated by all this excessive November basketball. The greater percentage of your product that involves low-interest early season games, the more the moderate and casual fans are going to say screw it, I'll start paying attention in late winter.

NFL network is putting two 4-5 teams (Panthers v Dolphins) on TV on a TH. And not everyone can get the network. And it will crush Eventual NCAA Bubble State versus Two Horse Tech in the ratings.

I don't care what other people think or the ratings, IMO this is the best idea ESPN has had in a long time. It feels like March Madness with games in the middle of the day. Football is great, I really enjoy it but nothing compares to college basketball, it's the best sport in the world. I love November basketball, I love Feast Week, I don't give a crap about what the casual fan thinks just like how a diehard baseball fan wouldn't care that I think that is the worst sport ever invented. Overexposed? In my opinion there is no possible way college basketball can be overexposed, in fact it's underexposed, they need to show more games as early as possible! What else is ESPN going to show this time of year? The NBA has fallen off significantly and the majority of football games only occur on the weekends.

Battierfan01
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't care what other people think or the ratings, IMO this is the best idea ESPN has had in a long time. It feels like March Madness with games in the middle of the day. Football is great, I really enjoy it but nothing compares to college basketball, it's the best sport in the world. I love November basketball, I love Feast Week, I don't give a crap about what the casual fan thinks just like how a diehard baseball fan wouldn't care that I think that is the worst sport ever invented. Overexposed? In my opinion there is no possible way college basketball can be overexposed, in fact it's underexposed, they need to show more games as early as possible! What else is ESPN going to show this time of year? The NBA has fallen off significantly and the majority of football games only occur on the weekends.

Your right it does feel like March Madness. Maybe I should have planned an office pool for today. :cool:

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Your right it does feel like March Madness. Maybe I should have planned an office pool for today. :cool:

Yeah, if you could figure who the ellllll was playing.

blazindw
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Blazindw, I'm surprised you've watched all these games. You are much more hardcore than I.

College Basketball is my favorite sport to watch, so with a full day of bball on, you know I'm watching. About half of the games have been competitive and the others were blowouts. St. Mary's made it look easy, as did Clemson. I agree that they will be scary good. This marathon, which they've done 3 years now I believe, helps showcase those teams that could be our Cinderellas or deep players come March Madness. Siena, Niagara, CS-Fullerton, St. Mary's, Clemson, Tulsa. It's been fun to watch.

A little more than halfway through...Georgetown's coming up next followed by the greatest team on earth, with Gonzaga-Michigan Snake and Kansas-Memphis to wrap up a healthy 24 hours of basketball.

towerview road
11-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Some of the basketball has been interesting.

CSU-Fullerton beating UCLA in overtime; Miami (OH) almost taking Kentucky; and right now there are 11 minutes left in the first half with Georgetown beating Temple 4-2. Yes, 4-2. Now that's going to be a big scoring game ;)

Battierfan01
11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Some of the basketball has been interesting.

CSU-Fullerton beating UCLA in overtime; Miami (OH) almost taking Kentucky; and right now there are 11 minutes left in the first half with Georgetown beating Temple 4-2. Yes, 4-2. Now that's going to be a big scoring game ;)

Did they go to the old four corners offense?

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Temple at Georgetown is horrendous basketball. Greg Monroe does not look like much of miss on the recruiting front!

towerview road
11-17-2009, 04:50 PM
This game is painful. "Kind of empty here in downtown DC today" plus Gtown, ranked #20 in the country, leading Temple by six, 19-13, at the HALF.

The commentary is kind of brutal right now, cracking jokes about being outscored by their football teams, the stadium being empty, the game being lackluster, game looking like a rebound drill, etc. etc. Can't say it isn't deserved though. I feel like I'm watching HS basketball.

Indoor66
11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
This game is painful. "Kind of empty here in downtown DC today" plus Gtown, ranked #20 in the country, leading Temple by six, 19-13, at the HALF.

The commentary is kind of brutal right now, cracking jokes about being outscored by their football teams, the stadium being empty, the game being lackluster, game looking like a rebound drill, etc. etc. Can't say it isn't deserved though. I feel like I'm watching HS basketball.

Not even decent HS BB! It is horrible.

juise
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Temple at Georgetown is horrendous basketball. Greg Monroe does not look like much of miss on the recruiting front!

1-6 on FG and 4 turnovers in the first half? Have they developed him at all? I see that Thompson's staff is basically all former point guards. Isn't about time they got a real big man coach in there? :p

Greg_Newton
11-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Tennessee is currently beating UNC-Asheville 57-48. Oh wait, sorry. That's 57-8.

:eek:

towerview road
11-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Let's keep our fingers crossed that Gonzaga takes down #2 Michigan State (currently 10:45 left in the first half, Gonzaga leading Mich St 17 to 6).

weezie
11-17-2009, 08:36 PM

You, sir, are a hoops fan warrior!

blazindw
11-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, we are in the last game of the 24-hour whirlwind, and I can now say that I have seen each of the 12 games that aired on this basketball marathon! Not tired at all, ready for more!