PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Kelly's shot

feldspar
11-17-2009, 10:19 AM
It just didn't look normal last night (the first time I was able to see Duke play).

He looks like he's leaning waaay into his jump shot, instead of jumping up and pushing the ball with his arms, and most of his shots hit the back of the rim with a thud. Anyone else notice this?

ChicagoCrazy84
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Nervousness maybe, it does strange things with your muscles. If it's something that is more than that, I am sure the staff will work with him on it. Chris Collins and Nate James were both great shooters in when they played.

Mr Blue Devil
11-17-2009, 10:40 AM
It just didn't look normal last night (the first time I was able to see Duke play).

He looks like he's leaning waaay into his jump shot, instead of jumping up and pushing the ball with his arms, and most of his shots hit the back of the rim with a thud. Anyone else notice this?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I was happy to see he was not afraid to shoot, but hit shot looked way off and out of control.

BlueintheFace
11-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Form was way off. He was pushing the ball every time... releasing way too far out front

airowe
11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with everyone's comments but I agree it must have been either nerves or tired legs. He was sick for a while in the offseason so he may not be fully conditioned yet. He was definitely playing more minutes than he will when we're at full strength.

He wasn't the McDonald's 3 point shooting champion for nothing though.

6th Man
11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I was fortunate enough to watch Kelly in the exhibition games and even though his form is funny looking he made a lot of open jumpers. Last night was by far the worst I've seen him shoot. I'd chalk that one up to an unusual night for him. He'll be interesting to watch. He knows how to play the game and can usually knock the open jumper down. Be interesting to see if he can hold up physically. I think he has a lot of potential actually. I have to admit that I am tired of the unathletic tall guys that think they are guards, but I have a good feeling they Kelly may develop into a good weapon in his 4 years. For those of you that saw him for the first time last night, he shoots a lot better than what he showed.

striker219
11-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't care that he was missing shots, the fact that his form looked so awkward is the only thing that bothers me. Andre only shot 3-for-10 or 3-for-11 or something like that, but his stroke looked, well, natural for lack of a better term (and I hope he keeps jacking them up). Ryan's shots looked forced, like he didn't want to take them or didn't have the energy to take them.

Oh well, it was only one game and maybe he just wasn't feeling it, we'll see how he looks tonight.

lifelongdevil
11-17-2009, 03:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerQjITEfzI

loks so much smother here. last night his stroke looked mcrobertsesque.

Battierfan01
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I have seen Ryan play a couple of times before last night. I must say that his shooting form looked a lot different last night compared to previous games (especially the UNCG game). It almost looked like he had tired legs and was shooting the ball like it weighed a ton.

SlimSlowSlider
11-17-2009, 03:26 PM
It did look different in the youtube video - shot it much higher up. That said, I doubt his "stroke" has "regressed." When you are a good shooter, you don't mess with your form (especially making it worse). I bet he was nervous. It'll come around.

Johnboy
11-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Maybe he's rushing it? The college game is much faster than HS and even AAU, I imagine. It'll come around.

whereinthehellami
11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah I noticed it to. Those shots didn't have a chance of going in. You would have thought that the coaches would have put a red light on that till they figured out what was up. You don't want to hurt a kid's confidence but letting him throw the ball at the basket is not going to help either.

sagegrouse
11-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I like this thread. I think it guarantees a breakout performance by Ryan Kelly tonight.

sagegrouse

miramar
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerQjITEfzI

looks so much smoother here. last night his stroke looked mcrobertsesque.

No, no anything but that! I just can't take McBob, part duh.

whereinthehellami
11-17-2009, 04:47 PM
If that is a different motion than he used before than that is not a good sign. You don't change your motion unless you are really nervous or you have lost your confidence.

airowe
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
If that is a different motion than he used before than that is not a good sign. You don't change your motion unless you are really nervous or you have lost your confidence.

Or you have tired legs. Ryan got really ill this Summer and probably hasn't regained his conditioning...

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2009/10/14/coach-k-asks-students-to-be-spontaneous-in-cameron/

Because of illness, freshman Ryan Kelly lost a significant amount of weight over the summer, and for that reason Krzyzewski said Kelly played mainly on the perimeter during preseason practice.

superdave
11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I rewound and watched the 3 that Ryan just missed 5 minutes into this game (Charlotte) because of this thread. He caught the ball from his right, squared up and shot fundamentally well. His rhythm was off just enough and he seemed very aware of where the 3 pt line was. But if he keeps shooting like Andre, he will find that rhythm.

I dont think anyone needs to worry, he just needs to get some reps under his belt.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
He MADE ONE

Mike Corey
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Just based on looking at Kelly's outside shot the past two nights, it appears that his footwork is off.

mike88
11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I posted about this in the Coastal Carolina game thread, too: I don't think what you saw was an anomaly- his shot has looked the same in the exhibition games and each of the games this season, even in warm-ups. The ball is too far in front of him and he is "squeezing" it a little on his release. When his feet are planted and he has time, he can still put it in, but for example last night when he shot a long shot on the break, the problem was magnified.

That said, I thought Ryan played great tonight. He is a smart player with a good feel for the game, and he works very hard. I am excited to see him develop over his time at Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Ryan's shot looked much better tonight. He actually had a "release", i.e. a flip of the wrist rather than the pushes he was putting up on Monday. And of course they went in. :cool:

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
It looked a little better but he still only made on three and another mid range jumper.