PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Memphis Recruiting

ChicagoCrazy84
11-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Memphis and first year head coach Josh Pastner just got a verbal Monday from 4-star small forward Tarik Black which gives them a grand total of SEVEN signees for their 2010 class. That alone is pretty absurd, bringing in 7 freshman in 2010, but one thing I noticed that bothered me a little is that 2 of them, Chris Crawford and Will Barton (both 4 star recruits) are 2-guards, much like Elliot Williams. How is it that you recruit 2 more guys in that position, possibly 3 as Tarik Black could play on the perimeter when EWill will still be just a junior next year? Pastner can not be thinking that EWill may take off early for the NBA, can he? Just wanted to hear anyone's thoughts on this as I don't know too much about their current roster situation and how many seniors they have.

Wander
11-17-2009, 12:27 AM
If you're worried about Elliott losing playing time or being recruited over, don't be. He's most likely the best player on their team, and the Memphis fans love him.

JaMarcus Russell
11-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Because of their very unique recruiting class last year, Memphis has one of the strangest roster breakdowns of any major D-1 team. They will be returning basically four guys next year who will any role on this year's team in the best case scenario (Wesley Witherspoon, Roburt Sallie, Will Coleman, and E-Will). I believe Coleman and Sallie will be seniors while E-Will and Spoon (I doubt that's his actual nickname :D) will be juniors.

Pastner needed youth, and he did a great job with this class. However, the number of wings in the class is kind of surprising since E-Will and Sallie both play that position. Barton, Crawford, and Kendrick does seem like a bit of overkill, and I imagine at least one of those guys will be unhappy with his playing time as a freshman.

speedevil2001
11-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Because of their very unique recruiting class last year, Memphis has one of the strangest roster breakdowns of any major D-1 team. They will be returning basically four guys next year who will any role on this year's team in the best case scenario (Wesley Witherspoon, Roburt Sallie, Will Coleman, and E-Will). I believe Coleman and Sallie will be seniors while E-Will and Spoon (I doubt that's his actual nickname :D) will be juniors.

Pastner needed youth, and he did a great job with this class. However, the number of wings in the class is kind of surprising since E-Will and Sallie both play that position. Barton, Crawford, and Kendrick does seem like a bit of overkill, and I imagine at least one of those guys will be unhappy with his playing time as a freshman.

Because Elliot Williams is going pro next season.

JasonEvans
11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Because Elliot Williams is going pro next season.

NBADraft.net has EWill listed in the 2011 mock draft. While he may be interested in turning pro early, it is a bit early to know if that will happen this season or next.

As for the makeup of the roster/recruiting class I think a couple things are happening here. First, Pastner is making sure he has options if EWill leaves. But, more importantly, he is employing much the same approach as Calipari did when it comes to recruiting-- namely, "Bring in a lot of kids and let em compete. The ones who can't cut it will transfer or something."

--Jason "what is it with this board and Josh Pastner... we are obsessed!" Evans

ChicagoCrazy84
11-17-2009, 10:10 AM
I noticed that a few of them are actually from Memphis as well. Gotta give Josh credit for not letting the home-grown talent go elsewhere.