PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. UNCG

Jumbo
11-15-2009, 12:13 AM
It's that time of year again! (You didn't actually think I'd forget you all, did you?) Sorry for the delay, and I might not be able to turn these posts around as quickly as in the past, but better late than never. Also, because I was only able to see bits and pieces of the game online, I had to rely on the play-by-play from the official game book to create the game log. Thankfully, those reports are almost always accurate.

A few things stand out from the first game. 1) Hopefully once Nolan comes back, we won't even see some of the crazy lineup combinations featured below. 2) It's really annoying writing "Miles Plumlee" and "Mason Plumlee" (although I'd love the opportunity to put "Mason Plumlee" in a lineup as soon as possible). Perhaps I'll just have to use first names for the two of them. Or maybe they will adopt Brazilian soccer names. 3) The two freshmen who did play weren't quite as strong as their veteran counterparts -- at least from a plus/minus perspective. 4) Clearly, Duke needs to give big minutes to the Peters-Dawkins-Johnson-Kelly-Miles Plumlee group.

Anyway, for the first time this season, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Kyle Singler 94-60 (+34)
Jon Scheyer 92-58 (+34)
Lance Thomas 73-41 (+32)
Olek Czyz 62-36 (+26)
Brian Zoubek 46-25 (+21)
Miles Plumlee 46-36 (+10)
Andre Dawkins 34-24 (+10)
Casey Peters 2-0 (+2)
Ryan Kelly 27-26 (+1)
Steve Johnson 4-4 (0)

Per 40 Minutes
Casey Peters +80
Brian Zoubek +52.5
Lance Thomas +44.1
Olek Czyz 62-36 +43.3
Jon Scheyer +36.8
Kyle Singler +35.8
Andre Dawkins +26.7
Miles Plumlee +16.7
Ryan Kelly +3.1
Steve Johnson +0

Lineups
Scheyer-Singler-Thomas-Czyz-Zoubek (x3) 9-2, 12-4, 12-7 = 33-13 (+20)
Scheyer-Singler-Thomas-Czyz-Miles Plumlee (x2) 8-2, 4-3 = 12-5 (+7)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Kelly 8-3 (+5)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Miles Plumlee (x2) 7-5, 2-0 = 9-5 (+4)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Miles Plumlee-Zoubek 8-6 (+2)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek 5-3 (+2)
Peters-Dawkins-Johnson-Kelly-Miles Plumlee 2-0 (+2)
Scheyer-Singler-Czyz-Kelly-Miles Plumlee (x2) 2-7, 11-5 = 13-12 (+1)
Scheyer-Singler-Thomas-Czyz-Kelly (x2) 2-2, 2-2 = 4-4 (0)
Scheyer-Singler-Czyz-Kelly-Zoubek 0-0 (0)
Dawkins-Johnson-Singler-Thomas-Miles Plumlee 2-4 (-2)
Scheyer-Thomas-Czyz-Kelly-Miles Plumlee 0-2 (-2)
Scheyer-Singler-Thomas-Kelly-Miles Plumlee 0-2 (-2)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)

BlueintheFace
11-15-2009, 01:28 AM
that settles that... Czyz should start for the rest of the season ;)

Bob Green
11-15-2009, 02:53 AM
The first +/- stats of the 2009-10 season are consistent with what was demonstrated in 2008-09, our best line-up includes Brian Zoubek.

camion
11-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Per 40 Minutes
Casey Peters +80

Gotta get Casey Peters more floor time.

Newton_14
11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks Jumbo.

Always interesting to see the numbers. And like Mr Green pointed out, Brian always has the best numbers. Our defense always seems to give up less points when he is on the floor. And for the guys that were in the normal rotation all night Zoubs had the second lowest number for points allowed (25)

Also, to solve your typing problem with the Plumlee boys, just use MP1 and MP2. That's the easiest solution.

Ultrarunner
11-15-2009, 01:37 PM
The first +/- stats of the 2009-10 season are consistent with what was demonstrated in 2008-09, our best line-up includes Brian Zoubek.

It won't matter. There are a fair number of people who look at Zoubs and don't see a Shelden or Elton and make the presumption that he can't play. he's too slow, can't jump, doesn't dunk, or whatever the complaint of the day is going to be.

Yet the numbers always indicate that he is quite effective even if he isn't aesthetically pleasing. In several games last year, he played a critical role providing solid interior defense. He's a very solid rebounder and a good interior passer. The biggest problem is keeping him on the floor and out of foul trouble. With healthy feet for the first time in his career, we'll see what happens.

Ultrarunner
11-15-2009, 01:38 PM
And thanks Jumbo - it's great to have the numbers and very much appreciated.

bigj4194
11-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks Jumbo. Always great to follow your charting!

MChambers
11-15-2009, 04:30 PM
It won't matter. There are a fair number of people who look at Zoubs and don't see a Shelden or Elton and make the presumption that he can't play. he's too slow, can't jump, doesn't dunk, or whatever the complaint of the day is going to be.

Yet the numbers always indicate that he is quite effective even if he isn't aesthetically pleasing. In several games last year, he played a critical role providing solid interior defense. He's a very solid rebounder and a good interior passer. The biggest problem is keeping him on the floor and out of foul trouble. With healthy feet for the first time in his career, we'll see what happens.

Count me in the Zoubs camp. I'd be curious, however, to look at last year's numbers to see if there is any pattern to Zoubs's plus-minus results. In particular, how does he do against top 25 teams or ACC teams. Of course, I'm too lazy to do it.

-jk
11-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Count me in the Zoubs camp. I'd be curious, however, to look at last year's numbers to see if there is any pattern to Zoubs's plus-minus results. In particular, how does he do against top 25 teams or ACC teams. Of course, I'm too lazy to do it.

I suspect Brian's overall favorable +/- has as much to do with K's understanding and managing matchups as anything else.

-jk

MChambers
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
I suspect Brian's overall favorable +/- has as much to do with K's understanding and managing matchups as anything else.

-jk

Yes, that's one of those things that we can't evaluate when looking at the numbers, at least not easily.