PDA

View Full Version : New Football Helmets

blazindw
11-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Our gridiron Blue Devils debuted a new helmet today against Georgia Tech. It's a very subtle change, just a wider stripe along the middle of the helmet instead of the thin stripe we've had in previous games and seasons (although I could notice it from the stands). Although it was as subtle change, as a uniform nut, I don't think it meshed well. I'd like to see either the thin stripe make a return or put the double-colored stripe on the helmet to match the stripes on our jerseys. What did people think?

Newton_14
11-14-2009, 09:50 PM
I am in the minority, of that I am sure. But I wish the Helmets were Blue. I hate white Helmets in general. Always have always will. But that's just me. So I didn't like the one today any better than the old one.

I would also like to see blue pants with white tops, or blue on blue occasionaly. And if we ever get to top 10 status, black on black like the basketball uni's would be sweet...

But again, I am quite sure I am in the minority on all of those wishes. I do think our uni's under Cut look better than the old ones worn in the pre-Cut era.

One man's opinion, please don't shoot me!

AluminumDuke
11-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I am in the minority, of that I am sure. But I wish the Helmets were Blue.

Put me in the minority as well. I prefered blue helmets with no stripe. I even liked the scripted "Duke" in white. I wouldn't object to blue pants either. Maybe we could debut the return to blue in a bowl game some day.

blazindw
11-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I am in the minority, of that I am sure. But I wish the Helmets were Blue. I hate white Helmets in general. Always have always will. But that's just me. So I didn't like the one today any better than the old one.

I would also like to see blue pants with white tops, or blue on blue occasionaly. And if we ever get to top 10 status, black on black like the basketball uni's would be sweet...

But again, I am quite sure I am in the minority on all of those wishes. I do think our uni's under Cut look better than the old ones worn in the pre-Cut era.

One man's opinion, please don't shoot me!

I love our helmets right now. If they were blue with a white Iron D, that would be awesome too. Also, I agree that I'd like to see blue pants for us to use as well, both on the road or for a blue on blue look. I dunno about the black on black look in football, though.

DevilAlumna
11-15-2009, 12:09 AM
put the double-colored stripe on the helmet to match the stripes on our jerseys.

Yes please.

(I *thought* something looked wrong with the helmets today but this was the first time I've gotten to see them on a real TV, and attributed it to that.)

Jim3k
11-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Put me in the minority as well. I prefered blue helmets with no stripe. I even liked the scripted "Duke" in white. I wouldn't object to blue pants either. Maybe we could debut the return to blue in a bowl game some day.

IMO, the script Blue is just wrong. I never want to see it again.

For an historical POV, here's a link to The Helmet Project (http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/). (The link only goes to the main page; click on ACC and then Scroll down to see Duke's helmets from 1958 to last year.

Today's wider stripe is actually consistent with Duke from the mid-60's, though the '58-64,65 and was on a MacGregor helmet, not the Riddell used in the examples. The MacGregor blue stripe was actually a cushioned pad designed to help protect players from concussions, so it wasn't truly a paint stripe. Still, a wide blue crown was the appearance, but probably too wide for repitition these days. IIRC, the '70-71 silver helmet from the McGee era was tri-striped: Two blue stripes embracing a center white stripe. At least it was wide, whatever else might be said about it.

I'm not particular about the size of the stripe. I just never want to see those wussy-looking script Duke logos again.

BoC
11-15-2009, 07:01 AM
If I see the football team start wearing black uniforms, I may slit my wrists.

Oh, and I don't care for the wide helmet stripe; if it can be noticed from the stands, it's not subtle.

Newton_14
11-15-2009, 01:41 PM

For an historical POV, here's a link to The Helmet Project (http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/). (The link only goes to the main page; click on ACC and then Scroll down to see Duke's helmets from 1958 to last year.

Today's wider stripe is actually consistent with Duke from the mid-60's, though the '58-64,65 and was on a MacGregor helmet, not the Riddell used in the examples. The MacGregor blue stripe was actually a cushioned pad designed to help protect players from concussions, so it wasn't truly a paint stripe. Still, a wide blue crown was the appearance, but probably too wide for repitition these days. IIRC, the '70-71 silver helmet from the McGee era was tri-striped: Two blue stripes embracing a center white stripe. At least it was wide, whatever else might be said about it.

I'm not particular about the size of the stripe. I just never want to see those wussy-looking script Duke logos again.

Thanks for that link! It was cool to go back thru history and see the different helmets. Some good, some bad, some atrocious! The blue top/white sides one with the number on them were ugggh! And agree with others on the scripted Duke. Not good.

I did like the silver helmet with the block D from c.74 and c.76. Very nice look. But I am Dallas fan so that one would appeal to me more.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-15-2009, 01:57 PM
If I see the football team start wearing black uniforms, I may slit my wrists.

Oh, and I don't care for the wide helmet stripe; if it can be noticed from the stands, it's not subtle.

Based on Coach Cutcliffe's coments soon after his arrival at Duke, he knows that Duke's colors are blue and white.

AluminumDuke
11-15-2009, 02:12 PM

At least I was right about my being in the minority. I don't share the strong opposition to the script Duke logos that you do, but I'm certainly agreeable to the idea of a blue helmet with the white Iron D. I remain opposed to the stripe(s)... I just think the helmets have a cleaner look without them.

Thanks for the link to the Helmet Project. I was searching last night for any type of history of the Duke football helmets but couldn't find one.

sagegrouse
11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
With another win or two in football, the boys can wear leather, as far as I'm concerned.

sagegrouse

-bdbd
11-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Will we ever go to the "little D's" (helmet stickers) to players for great plays? I'm thinking like a lot of teams do to recognize great efforts. Usually the team captains give them out a couple days after a game. Some of the big-time programs do this, such as Michigan and Ohio State. Personally I'd like to see it. But I know there'll be different opinions.

As for the colors/design -- I'm all for whatever makes our team look "solid"/established, and not soft, new, flashy, etc. Some of our uni's/helmets in recent years haven't exactly exuded "quiet confidence."

blazindw
11-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Will we ever go to the "little D's" (helmet stickers) to players for great plays? I'm thinking like a lot of teams do to recognize great efforts. Usually the team captains give them out a couple days after a game. Some of the big-time programs do this, such as Michigan and Ohio State. Personally I'd like to see it. But I know there'll be different opinions.

As for the colors/design -- I'm all for whatever makes our team look "solid"/established, and not soft, new, flashy, etc. Some of our uni's/helmets in recent years haven't exactly exuded "quiet confidence."

Michigan no longer does this, but used to back in the day. We also used to give out pitchforks for good plays a few years ago when we first switched to the white helmets...it does get a bit busy on the helmet though, especially when you're good.

Battierfan01
11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Michigan no longer does this, but used to back in the day. We also used to give out pitchforks for good plays a few years ago when we first switched to the white helmets...it does get a bit busy on the helmet though, especially when you're good.

I do agree that the stickers on the helmet can make it look "busy" at times. I like it better without them. I just think that without them it gives the helmet a "cleaner" appearance.

On the subject of the new helmets, I actually like them. I wouldn't mind seeing a blue helmet with the white Iron D.

jjasper0729
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM
I thought the stripe was a little too wide. Either go with the thinner stripe or make it a double like the uniforms as someone else suggested.

Also, I agree we should wear blue pants with a white stripe with the white road jerseys. I'm glad the white pants at least had a stripe on the side (my wife agreed as well).

I'm not a fan of the blue on blue though. Def. not a fan of black on black

blazindw
11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
On the subject of the new helmets, I actually like them. I wouldn't mind seeing a blue helmet with the white Iron D.

This would be nice to see, although I too like the helmets we have (albiet with the thin stripe)

orrnot
11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
The antipathy to the scripted logo and the track in our stadium are two recurrent hatreds that have always left me scratching my head. Both are fine by me, and I think the blue-helmet version was fairly sharp. Imagine the complaint, "it's too small" about Cameron Indoor, which winning renders ridiculous. I wonder how many UF fans complain about their wussy scripted "Gators" logo.