PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 104, HBU 35

ricks68
11-14-2009, 12:05 AM
I was able to attend the HBU game here in Houston. Wonderful experience. The facility was standing room only, and new people kept showing up as the game progressed. Sat 4 rows behind our bench with Karima Christmas' relatives that live in Houston. Our team is huge. Very tall and very athletic. Almost every player looked good, especially Bridgette Mitchell, Keturah Jackson, Jasmine Thomas, Joy Cheek, and Krystal Thomas. I also think that Allison Vernerey and Kathleen Scheer are going to develop into solid players. No one was sloppy, and all were very, very focused during the entire game. They never broke their concentration, and played hard throughout. I was very impressed. If they just steadily improve a little each game, they will be a major force this year. The rest you can get from the usual sources.

The Duke fans sat in a section that took up about 20% of the gym, so it was a good turnout. We sat about 2 rows behind and about a half dozen people over from Tal Smith. Anyone who doesn't know who Tal Smith is can ask Jim Sumner, or one of the other pro's on the board.:p

ricks

Newton_14
11-14-2009, 12:23 AM
I was able to attend the HBU game here in Houston. Wonderful experience. The facility was standing room only, and new people kept showing up as the game progressed. Sat 4 rows behind our bench with Karima Christmas' relatives that live in Houston. Our team is huge. Very tall and very athletic. Almost every player looked good, especially Bridgette Mitchell, Keturah Jackson, Jasmine Thomas, Joy Cheek, and Krystal Thomas. I also think that Allison Vernerey and Kathleen Scheer are going to develop into solid players. No one was sloppy, and all were very, very focused during the entire game. They never broke their concentration, and played hard throughout. I was very impressed. If they just steadily improve a little each game, they will be a major force this year. The rest you can get from the usual sources.

The Duke fans sat in a section that took up about 20% of the gym, so it was a good turnout. We sat about 2 rows behind and about a half dozen people over from Tal Smith. Anyone who doesn't know who Tal Smith is can ask Jim Sumner, or one of the other pro's on the board.:p

ricks

Great! Way to go ladies! I see you did not mention it but how did Singler look out there with the ladies? Did he look to set up his teammates or for his shot?? (I kid I kid! Sorry! I could not resist. The post in that thread last night on our lady devils ranking had me in tears!)

Anyway, great to see the Lady Devils come out of the gate strong!

MHTorringjan
11-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes now! The running gag for the season! Better than the 1-and-1 gag from a couple of years ago. :D

So, with regards to the game, I was unfortunately unable to listen to it or see it or heck, even get a live stat-tracker for it. However, it seems to me that the girls are able to maintain the quality of the low-post game this season, despite the losses from last season. Hopefully, that trend will continue against the top opponents we face this season. One thing that concerns me is 1-12 from 3-point range. I'm thinking it's an aberration based on their exhibition performances, but it's still showing us to be a bit streaky from the perimeter. But even then, scoring 104 with only 1 3-pointer made?! That's ridiculous!

Other thoughts: Still fouling too much, 24 in a game is high; assist-to-turnover ratio for the team is still low, but Jasmine had a 2:1 ratio and Karima had a 5:1 ratio on the night, which is nice; Overall turnovers for the team are still a bit high, 23 is too many.