PDA

View Full Version : Thad Reaching Out to Students

BattierD12
11-12-2009, 05:25 PM
This e-mail just got sent to the entire student body a few minutes ago:

"Fellow students,

This season is far from over! We are just 2 wins away from a bowl game and every game is important. We need a loud energetic student section this Saturday, as we take on #7 ranked Georgia Tech at 12 pm. This is a huge game against the current first place team in the ACC Coastal Division and is nationally televised on espn2. On behalf of my teammates we thank you for the support all season. It’s been a fun year and we’re not done yet. I ask that if you’re ever going to come out for a Duke Football game let Saturday be the one! We feed off your energy in the student section so please come out early, be loud and let’s show everyone watching at home that our students are the best. See you on Saturday!

Thaddeus Lewis
Duke Football Quarterback - #9"

I for one can't wait for the game despite the injury list released today. I really hope the student section is packed, because for many, this will be the last time we see Thad throw the pigskin in Wally Wade.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for sharing this email. Thad makes some good points which reflect the changes underway in the football program and on campus.

GO DUKE! BEAT TECH!!!!!

RelativeWays
11-12-2009, 05:58 PM
We're going to beat Wake this year so nobody should miss that game either, Thanksgiving or no Thanksgiving. Family and yummy food is overrated, you have your football family and yummy concessions at WW. I will be at both.

uh_no
11-12-2009, 06:40 PM
So we should harp on students who may not have the means to travel back to duke for a football game Saturday because they choose instead to see their families?

I know people mean well saying students should get out to games over break, but i'm sort of taken aback as a student who values the time he can spend with his family and can't afford to stop by on Friday. And its likely that the students on this board are the ones who go to games anyway, so can we quit preaching to the choir?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Good for him to due that.

I hope People go to the game and support Duke Football.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Read it. Believe it. Be there!

Many thanks to Ima Facultiwyf for making the buttons!

bdh21
11-13-2009, 07:48 AM

Is there any way to get one of these buttons!?

DevilWolf
11-13-2009, 08:14 AM

While I get the sentiment, it's pretty funny, and I too feel a sense of pride of being one of the few who hasn't missed a game in forever ... is there really a need to segment our fanbase?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Is there any way to get one of these buttons!?
She gave them out at the last Brunchgate, along with other "designs". Coach Cut got one as he Devil Walked by, along with one!

I suggest you send her a PM through the board and ask her. If you come by Brunchgate either tomorrow (if she can make it that fast) or more likely the Nov. 28th ( :D ) Wake Forest game, you can pick it up. Don't know if she wants to start mailing them out - she's not in "business", but again you can ask her.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-14-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not feeling in the pink so, discretion being the better part of valor, I am shortening my contact with the elements today and just attending the game for as long as I last. I will, however, be stopping by Brunchgate to drop off Piper's button and a few others in case anybody wants one.

I figure a few "go to hell" buttons might be in demand today in particular :rolleyes:!
Love, Ima

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-14-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not feeling in the pink so, discretion being the better part of valor, I am shortening my contact with the elements today and just attending the game for as long as I last. I will, however, be stopping by Brunchgate to drop off Piper's button and a few others in case anybody wants one.

I figure a few "go to hell" buttons might be in demand today in particular :rolleyes:!
Love, Ima

uh_no
11-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I just want to inform all of you that the email did not come from thad at all.

<email@duaa.duke.edu>

is the listed email address.....unless thad suddenly graduated without letting anyone know.....for the record....its quite easy to change the header of emails to make it appear as if it came from anyone....its called spoofing

Highlander
11-14-2009, 11:48 AM
So we should harp on students who may not have the means to travel back to duke for a football game Saturday because they choose instead to see their families?

I know people mean well saying students should get out to games over break, but i'm sort of taken aback as a student who values the time he can spend with his family and can't afford to stop by on Friday. And its likely that the students on this board are the ones who go to games anyway, so can we quit preaching to the choir?

Well, considering that Thanksgiving break is in less than a week, I would imagine most students would NOT be taking the weekend off to visit family, as they will be heading home in less than 10 days again. Anyone who has the "means" to travel home a week before Thanksgiving break has access to a car, and therefore the "means" to come back for a game if they want to.

Why not have your parents come to the game and see you, rather than the other way around? When I was at Duke, my parents bought season tickets to come see me regularly. Granted I was in the band, so there was something to see, but it was a nice gesture.

Highlander
11-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I just want to inform all of you that the email did not come from thad at all.

<email@duaa.duke.edu>

is the listed email address.....unless thad suddenly graduated without letting anyone know.....for the record....its quite easy to change the header of emails to make it appear as if it came from anyone....its called spoofing

Athletes typically don't have their email addresses or phone #s published for personal reasons. In addition, unless things have changed students don't have access to blast email addresses for the entire student body. Therefore, to send one out to the whole school, Thad would have to forward it to a higher up. My guess that is what happened, rather than someone nefariously trying to 'spoof' the wishes of our starting QB and hacking into OIT to send it to the masses.

But believe whatever you like.

blazindw
11-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Athletes typically don't have their email addresses or phone #s published for personal reasons. In addition, unless things have changed students don't have access to blast email addresses for the entire student body. Therefore, to send one out to the whole school, Thad would have to forward it to a higher up. My guess that is what happened, rather than someone nefariously trying to 'spoof' the wishes of our starting QB and hacking into OIT to send it to the masses.

But believe whatever you like.

Certain DSG (Duke Student Government) people have the ability to email blast the school. Surprisingly, the HLM is not one of them. All of my many school-wide email blasts went through DSG when I was running K-Ville.