PDA

View Full Version : Goodman on UNC

airowe
11-12-2009, 02:01 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10354626/UNC-not-looking-like-a-Final-Four-team

Let's not sugarcoat it. This North Carolina team isn't a legitimate Final Four contender — as well they shouldn't be.

Not after losing four starters, all now earning NBA paychecks, off last year's national title team.

I missed when I put the Tar Heels at No. 5 in my preseason rankings.

Badly.

And my favorite quote:

"When you have holes, you can't be a top-five team," Williams said. "That's just unrealistic."

oldnavy
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
This is exactly what I was trying to say over in the NCCU post. They are not a top 5 team or even close. Syracuse, who played Robert Morris last night looked MUCH better in their win than did UNC and Robert Morris is a far better team than NCCU. I am glad to have my thoughts affirmed by someone else, because I know that I hate UNC, I admit it, so sometimes I am biased. But these heels do not scare me at all unlike last year. I think we sweep them.

Battierfan01
11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10354626/UNC-not-looking-like-a-Final-Four-team

And my favorite quote:

Well I guess this means that they will never be a top 5 team because they are all HOLES!!

SMO
11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
This is exactly what I was trying to say over in the NCCU post. They are not a top 5 team or even close. Syracuse, who played Robert Morris last night looked MUCH better in their win than did UNC and Robert Morris is a far better team than NCCU. I am glad to have my thoughts affirmed by someone else, because I know that I hate UNC, I admit it, so sometimes I am biased. But these heels do not scare me at all unlike last year. I think we sweep them.

Sounds like this will be a season where we see how Roy's coaching compares to his recruiting. I agree with him that there's a huge upside. They should get a lot better by March.

striker219
11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks airowe, I have a new signature now!

kong123
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I believe this guy is one of us. Last year, he dogged the holes every chance he got. Once they got to the sweet sixteen, he picked every holes opponent to bet them- all the way up to the championship game.

Does he truly believe what he writes or is he trying to stir up some trouble?

Tomorrow, will he write us off for not having Plumlee or not having proper depth at the guard positions?

natedog4ever
11-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I believe this guy is one of us. Last year, he dogged the holes every chance he got. Once they got to the sweet sixteen, he picked every holes opponent to bet them- all the way up to the championship game.

Does he truly believe what he writes or is he trying to stir up some trouble?

Tomorrow, will he write us off for not having Plumlee or not having proper depth at the guard positions?

The question, my friend, is "Are you one of us?"

CEF1959
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't put much stock in analysis like that. The people on this board have as much, if not more, insight and information than people like Goodman. If he proclaimed this Carolina team to be the next coming of Christ, we'd roll our eyes. I suggest doing the same here.

I think Carolina is a top-20 team this year, but not a top-10 team. Sweet 16 perhaps. They could surprise up or down, depending on how they and the competition develop. I think Duke will be better than that. Injuries, of course, are the wild card.

But that's just me. Y'all have the same info, and I don't purport to have analytical or predictive ability better than any other reasonably informed fan.

oldnavy
11-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't put much stock in analysis like that. The people on this board have as much, if not more, insight and information than people like Goodman. If he proclaimed this Carolina team to be the next coming of Christ, we'd roll our eyes. I suggest doing the same here.

I think Carolina is a top-20 team this year, but not a top-10 team. Sweet 16 perhaps. They could surprise up or down, depending on how they and the competition develop. I think Duke will be better than that. Injuries, of course, are the wild card.

But that's just me. Y'all have the same info, and I don't purport to have analytical or predictive ability better than any other reasonably informed fan.

I'll have to disagree here at least in part. If Goodman proclaimed the heels to be anything other than what they are (good or bad), I would roll my eyes. But he didn't, he hit the nail on the head. What he says about the heels is backed up (IMO) by what I saw when I watched them (twice now). Granted, I am not an "expert", but I have watched just about every UNC and every Duke game (>80% at least and close to 100% of those televised) over the past 40 years, so my opinion while not an expert one is not an uninformed one either. Also, I am not just bashing the heels (although I do enjoy that), but unlike last year when I thought they were the hands down best team in college basketball, this year they are WAY overrated at this point. When they show something on the court to change my mind I will, just like Goodman did.

jws
11-12-2009, 11:44 PM
I would certainly agree that this UNC team is not currently a final four calibre team, and I think they are ranked several places too high this early in the season.

Drew will be just fine, and by years end, I expect he'll be a lot better than just fine, but backup PG is a pretty big problem, as of now. I don't think Roy's found anyone yet that he feels can spell Drew without a significant dropoff in offensive output.

If I were voting, I'd put them somewhere around #15 to start the season, but they have the potential to be a final four team, or even better. The learning curve and injuries will tell the tale.

mo.st.dukie
11-13-2009, 01:32 AM
I would certainly agree that this UNC team is not currently a final four calibre team, and I think they are ranked several places too high this early in the season.

Drew will be just fine, and by years end, I expect he'll be a lot better than just fine, but backup PG is a pretty big problem, as of now. I don't think Roy's found anyone yet that he feels can spell Drew without a significant dropoff in offensive output.

If I were voting, I'd put them somewhere around #15 to start the season, but they have the potential to be a final four team, or even better. The learning curve and injuries will tell the tale.

As of right now there are alot of teams that have the potential to be a Final Four team, Duke's one of them.

oldnavy
11-13-2009, 07:25 AM

I think #15 is a fair place to put them for now.

whereinthehellami
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I think the holes are top 10. There aren't 10 teams with more talent and better coaching than the smurfs. With that said I think they are pretty vulnerable to quick teams that can shoot, which is not a good recipe come tourney time. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play KY in KY. That game will say alot about the toughness of these heels, something which isn't known right now.

ClosetHurleyFan
11-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I think the holes are top 10. There aren't 10 teams with more talent and better coaching than the smurfs. With that said I think they are pretty vulnerable to quick teams that can shoot, which is not a good recipe come tourney time. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play KY in KY. That game will say alot about the toughness of these heels, something which isn't known right now.

Agree, although I would simply say that we will know a lot more about the Heels after December, ie, are they ahead of schedule or are they a work in progress on the way to be being a solid final 32/sweet 16 team come feb/march. I actually dont think toughness will be a big issue, to me they already look tough and scrapy, they just look rusty and lost on offensive end at times. But their size and atheleticism accross the front will no doubt help cover for deficiencies elsewhere. Honestly to me, if they manage to win two out of the Mich State, Kentucky, Ohio State and Texas games, I will be happy as long as there is no blow-outs.

ClosetHurleyFan
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM

And my favorite quote:

As a heel fan, I thought this was a completely fair and balanced attempt on Goodman's part. I think he downplays Henson too much, I think will be great soon playing at the three spot, and I think Drew is already more savvy than Thomas in some ways, but overall he is right. They are not top five right now and but have a chance to be really good by year end. And there is nothing wrong with that. No fan should be offended by the notion of a team having to learn together, gel and experience success over a period of time.

jv001
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
As a heel fan, I thought this was a completely fair and balanced attempt on Goodman's part. I think he downplays Henson too much, I think will be great soon playing at the three spot, and I think Drew is already more savvy than Thomas in some ways, but overall he is right. They are not top five right now and but have a chance to be really good by year end. And there is nothing wrong with that. No fan should be offended by the notion of a team having to learn together, gel and experience success over a period of time.

My goodness, why can't all unc fans be as level headed as you? Good comments and not over the top. Yeh I'm a Hurley fan also. Best pg Duke has had. Go Duke!

CDu
11-13-2009, 10:07 AM

I agree. I think they're a top-10 team in terms of talent. But the key to that is that this is a down year in college basketball overall. So, being top-10 may not mean quite as much as it has in years past. And the likelihood of a top-10 team bowing out early will be a lot higher I think this year than in years past.

ClosetHurleyFan
11-13-2009, 10:55 AM
My goodness, why can't all unc fans be as level headed as you? Good comments and not over the top. Yeh I'm a Hurley fan also. Best pg Duke has had. Go Duke!

Hey I am feeling rational right now, what can I say? But lets be real: (a) my wife hardly thinks I am rational and (b) in 1992 after you guys one two in a row, I was hardly rational, I was venomous. Three championships since then has eased my pain a bit :D. A Carolina fan that went to school during the Laettner error is often one of the more bitter ones.:eek:

oldnavy
11-13-2009, 11:29 AM
:cool:
I agree. I think they're a top-10 team in terms of talent. But the key to that is that this is a down year in college basketball overall. So, being top-10 may not mean quite as much as it has in years past. And the likelihood of a top-10 team bowing out early will be a lot higher I think this year than in years past.

That's fair. I think a lot of sports writers and the like were swept up in a heels hysteria during the off season. There is a lot of talent on the team, but a fair amount of it is redundent. Lots of talented BIGs but very few and not as talented wing and backcourt players. They will be good but not very scary this year. DrewII is a good PG, but as has been said many times already, not the uber quick, push it up the court type that make the heels formidable.