PDA

View Full Version : National Signing Day

mj2345
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
A look at where the top recruits are with their recruiting process and which players have officially inked.

National Signing Day (http://flagrantfouls.com/2009/11/national-signing-day-updates/)

wolfpackdevil
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM
The article says that CJ Leslie is in attendance today for Ryan Harrow's signing with NC State, at Harrow's high school in Georgia.

That could be something for NC State fans to be happy about...

wolfpackdevil
11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Nevermind, Harrow's signing was in Raleigh today at a sports bar.

JaMarcus Russell
11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Unless I am missing an obvious link, I don't think I have seen any info about when Hairston and Thornton will be signing their LOIs. Does anyone have info about them? Thanks.

airowe
11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Unless I am missing an obvious link, I don't think I have seen any info about when Hairston and Thornton will be signing their LOIs. Does anyone have info about them? Thanks.

They will be signed.

JaMarcus Russell
11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh, I'm not doubting it all. I just wanted to know if there was any info on what day they were planning to do it. Scout had a rundown of who signed their LOIs so far, and they weren't on it so I am guessing it will be happening later this week.

Duvall
11-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't know why any player ever signs a National Letter of Intent. It binds the player, at least theoretically, but does nothing to bind the school. The player gets absolutely nothing from signing.

-jk
11-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't know why any player ever signs a National Letter of Intent. It binds the player, at least theoretically, but does nothing to bind the school. The player gets absolutely nothing from signing.

Except that (most) schools won't yank a signed-for scholarship.

Only the top players would benefit from not signing.

-jk

Indoor66
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM

How many times can one site instances when a Letter of Intent was not honored by a school? The player gets an opportunity for an education and to play basketball. If he doesn't sign, he has no assurance he will have that scholarship when he arrives.

Duvall
11-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Except that (most) schools won't yank a signed-for scholarship.

But there's nothing preventing them from doing so. And it's unlikely that a school would revoke a scholarship offer to a player that it chose to recruit.

Cavlaw
11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
But there's nothing preventing them from doing so. And it's unlikely that a school would revoke a scholarship offer to a player that it chose to recruit.
That's typically not true. While it is tempting to jump on the Seth Davis bandwagon against NLIs, there is a benefit to the recruit: he gets his scholarship. Not as a contractual matter, but as a practical one.

When a recruit is unwilling to sign the letter, the school moves on to others who will. An exceptional talent flirting with a midlevel program, ala DeMarcus Counsins and UAB (discussed at length by Davis last year), can get away without signing, but the reality for the majority of athletes is that if they want the scholarship, they sign the letter.

Is it right? Maybe not, but if you want to see change, you're barking up the wrong tree by suggesting athletes stop signing the letters. High school students have too much at stake on their own scholarships to risk losing offers to stand on principle.

The schools aren't going to change, either, at least individually. They benefit from the system and don't bear any cost from it. Enough of them might be guilted into it by compelling arguments to change the program, or get the NCAA to step in and regulate, but until that happens don't hold your breath waiting for more than the tiniest handful of athletes to refuse to sign an NLI.

yancem
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
That's typically not true. While it is tempting to jump on the Seth Davis bandwagon against NLIs, there is a benefit to the recruit: he gets his scholarship. Not as a contractual matter, but as a practical one.

When a recruit is unwilling to sign the letter, the school moves on to others who will. An exceptional talent flirting with a midlevel program, ala DeMarcus Counsins and UAB (discussed at length by Davis last year), can get away without signing, but the reality for the majority of athletes is that if they want the scholarship, they sign the letter.

Is it right? Maybe not, but if you want to see change, you're barking up the wrong tree by suggesting athletes stop signing the letters. High school students have too much at stake on their own scholarships to risk losing offers to stand on principle.

The schools aren't going to change, either, at least individually. They benefit from the system and don't bear any cost from it. Enough of them might be guilted into it by compelling arguments to change the program, or get the NCAA to step in and regulate, but until that happens don't hold your breath waiting for more than the tiniest handful of athletes to refuse to sign an NLI.

I don't remember what is called but there is another document that a player can sign that states that he will attend X school on an athletic scholarship but is not as binding from the players perspective (read no 1 year sit out rule if he backs out). I vaguely remember a fairly big time recruit going this route earlier in the decade. When the school re chose lost their coach, he was able to reopen his recruitment without penalty.

Newton_14
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
The below link is a good article on some of the top teams that had all of their kids sign today. A pretty good read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/11/11/signing.day.ap/index.html

BD80
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Not too shabby, CBS ranks the recruiting classes, ACC has 4 of top 10 and 7 of top 20. That is the way to keep the conference at the top.

Big 10/11: 2 of top 10, 4 of top 20.

PAC 10: 2 of top 10, 5 of top 25

SEC: 3 of top 20

Big East: 1 of top 10, 2 of top 25

Big 12: 1 top 25 (Oklahoma not listed)

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/Y7XG7c5_Ed6tqwAcxJTdpg/top-25-college-basketball-recruiting-classes.htm