PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Cut's press conference, 11-10

jimsumner
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Cut says "it's been a tough few days. It will take awhile to snap out of it. Anxious to see how much we've improved." Expects Duke to grow from Carolina game.

Lots of bumps and bruises from Carolina game. "a lot of people nursing injuries." Numerous players either held out of practices or practicing in a reduced manner. Will know more Thursday. But look for some folks to be out v. GT.

Beating GT. Duke must play well on offense, defenxe, and special teams. Very important for offense to stay on the field. GT has the ability to chew up clock. Duke cannot send a tired defense right back out on the field.

Long discussion about Duke's ability to run. Cut places blame on blocking. Line needs to "make blocks at point of attack, maintain blocks, win battles." Cut says Duke has tried zone blocking and man blocking and struggled in both. "How well we can run the football remains to be seen. But we can run the ball better than we did last Saturday."

Says running backs are having confidence issues. All four have been injured off and on, especially Boyette and Hollingsworth.

Thinks Duke can pass v. GT. Duke's offense "sees somebody have success [against GT] and it gives them hope."

Captains-Adam Banks, Catron Gainey, Jordon Byas, Boyette.

Corey Gattis doing his best Nesbitt imitation as scout-team QB in practice this week.

FWIW, Thad says he "loves" playing at noon. Get up and play instead of sitting around all day thinking about it. I wish fans shared that view. Thad also said UNC's D "was the best I've faced when I knew what I was doing."

Thornton says team is focused, in-tune, and well aware of the challenge presented by Tech and the opportunities there for Duke.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for keeping us up to date on the press conferences, Jim.

I appreciate that Coach Cutcliffe didn't try to explain away anything about the game Saturday at the Shrine in the Pines. His ability to see growth and capitalize on it in the next game is an important ingredient in continuing to get better and better over time. Every time he goes into another one of the tough venues in the conference, he's cataloging all sorts of details to add to the store of information he'll draw on later.

Here's to quick healing of all the physical beating suffered Saturday and a solid week of preparation for next Saturday.