PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's the Night!

Olympic Fan
11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I know Duke doesn't start until Friday, but I can't help getting excited by the fact that the 2009-10 season tips off tonight.

Admittedly, the four opening games are all dogs -- FIU at UNC; Murray State at Cal, Alcorn at Ohio State and Albany at Syracuse .... but after a long offseason, I'm Jonesing for some hoops.

The Florida International at UNC game is not without interest, thanks to first-year FIU coach Isaih Thomas. He inherits just one starter from last year's 13-20 team, but he's loaded up with jucos, including a couple of pretty good ones.

Thomas and FIU won't win in Chapel Hill tonight, but it will be interesting to see him as a college coach. He was obviously a great player, but he was also a decent NBA coach. It was as an executive that he was a disaster in the NBA -- GM Isiah Thomas didn't give Coach Isiah Thomas a chance with the Knicks.

I just wonder whether his coaching skill -- plus the name recognition he brings -- will be enough to overcome his management "skills" at FIU. He's already gotten off to a bad start with his empty (and idiotic) threat to sue the Coaches vs. Cancer event for matching FIU with UNC -- he wanted to play Ohio State.

I guess the only other game of interest tonight is Albany at Syracuse -- after the 'Cuse lost its exhibition to LeMoyne. But Albany is not expected to be nearly as good as the team Duke beat by 41 in Cameron early in the 2007-08 season. They are picked seventh in the American East.

Both the UNC game and the Syracuse games will be on ESPNU tonight.

All four games are part of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but even though this is a "tournament" it is set up so the top four teams get to New York next week, even if they are upset at home this week. UNC will play Ohio State in the Garden on Nov. 19, then will play the winner of Syracuse-California on Nov. 20 no matter what happens tonight against FIU or Wednesday night in the second round against NCCU.

Just for the record, the Preseason NIT (which Duke is a part of) is not set up that way. I know it's not likely to happen, but if the Devils were to be upset by Coastal Carolina or the Elon/UNC Charlotte winner in the second round, Duke would not go to New York for the semifinals and finals on Nov. 25-27.

roywhite
11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Hoops season!

We made it to another year. :)

I hate to say it a way, but it won't seem official until I hear a game broadcast with Dickie V....(and then 20 minutes later hoping he'll be quiet).

BlueintheFace
11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
cue black eyed peas song on repeat in my head (darnit)

Bob Green
11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I'll be pulling for Syracuse to win the Coaches vs Cancer tournament as a tribute to Jim Boeheim's contributions to USA Basketball.

These preseason tournaments are an exciting way to start the hoops season as some marquee matchups are possible. I'm anxiously anticipating the Duke - UConn game at MSG on Nov. 27th so hopefully the principles advance to the championship game.

Another tournament I have my eye on is the Maui Invitational. I'll be pulling for Wisconsin to win the Maui in order to setup a Maui Invitational Champion versus NIT Season Tip-Off Champion game between Wisconsin and Duke in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Dec. 2nd.

Ah, a lot of basketball to be played before that happens but like Olympic Fan I am Jonesing for some hoops.

Battierfan01
11-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Man this is my favorite time of the year, the start of college hoops and the holidays just around the corner.

Oh yeah, we still have some football to cheer for!! GO DUKE!! :)

camion
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Tonight's the night
It's gonna be alright
:)
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

SushiChef
11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh no, Jay Williams was bragging about his Carolina blue tie.

FireOgilvie
11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Apparently the UNC fans didn't get the message about the game tonight. The stands look to be about 60 percent full.

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I hope someone reminded Isiah not to be hugging any of the cheerleaders.

RainingThrees
11-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Apparently the UNC fans didn't get the message about the game tonight. The stands look to be about 60 percent full.

There must have been a wine and cheese sale at some nearby grocery.