PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Article on Jeremy Tyler

sagegrouse
11-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Here's all you need to know about the trouble Jeremy is in, adjusting to life in Israel, after leaving the US to play pro ball as a teenager:

Tyler, 18, said he was still acclimating to a new culture and a more precise style of basketball. The plan for Tyler’s older brother to move here never materialized.

To help him adjust, the Wasserman Media Group sent one of Tyler’s agents, Makhtar Ndiaye, to Israel late last month for an extended stay to help him focus.

Makhtar Ndiaye? Holy cow! He was the biggest idiot ever to play in the ACC.

sagegrouse

MChambers
11-08-2009, 07:27 AM

sagegrouse

I was shocked that DBR didn't point that out. You know you're in trouble when they send Ndiaye to straighten things out.

miramar
11-08-2009, 10:04 AM
These players and their families should realize that going overseas at a young age, whether to play basketball or flip burgers, is far more difficult than it appears. In fact, I would say that many players are unprepared even after four years of college.

One of my daughter's friends is taking a year off after graduation and has taken a job in Paris. On her flight over she ran into a player who just finished at Virginia Tech and who is now playing professionally in France. As they spoke, she realized that the guy had no idea that his cell phone would not automatically work in Europe, and that he wouldn't be able to plug in his electronic equipment without an adapter. This guy is 23 and bilingual, so imagine an immature teenager who just got his passport (and who apparently doesn't understand what it's for).

urkdevil4
11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the link
Hard to imagine that the kid didn't mature immediately when one of his agents, Makhtar Ndiaye, arrived
That seems like treating insomnia with Red Bull

airowe
11-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the link
Hard to imagine that the kid didn't mature immediately when one of his agents, Makhtar Ndiaye, arrived
That seems like treating insomnia with Red Bull

"roll" model might just be right.

Edouble
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I am not sure that this is a well written piece of journalism.

My reasoning is this. There is an undertone in the article that Jeremy Tyler is immature and of questionable character. The only direct quotes from Jeremy are as follows:

"My mission is to shake David Stern’s hand"

"If you take me from when I first got off the plane, I have changed and developed and matured so much."

"I feel like the person (his father) I felt like was so dear to me and I loved the most is someone that I can’t trust. For him to say that, it really breaks my heart."

"I wish I was going back with you (to the United States).”

From these quotes, we have a picture of Jeremy as a lonely, motivated, homesick kid. The opinion on Jeremy's character and maturity are sourced not from him, but from coaches and players from a culture that is very different than ours. I do not doubt that they find him to be immature and unmanly, but they do so from their viewpoint. It is ill advised to translate directly into our world the opinions of those across an extreme cultural divide.

So Jeremy cries. So what? He's in culture shock. His apartment sucks. The plan was for his older brother to come and live with him and it didn't happen. How much do you think that affected the poor kid?

The post play is compared to mixed martial arts! Jeremy's coach said that he would want to "stab himself" if he played defense like Jeremy. Maybe Jeremy wasn't ready to play in a man's league in a country with a very different culture than our own, but I don't put all of that on the kid. He's a kid. He should have someone looking out for him. I'm sure he's not ready to play basketball professionally overseas, but I feel like the article attacks his character, and I don't like that.

The piece has a clear bias and a story that it wants to tell. Why didn't the writer ask Jeremy about the loud music incedent? Why didn't he ask him for his version of the elbow foul or why he thinks his coach doesn't know anything about basketball? Maybe because Jeremy articulated these events in a clear and thoughtful manner that would not have taken the article in the direction that the author wanted it to go in? That's my guess, because if they had shown Jeremy to be an immature primadonna, you can be sure those quotes would have been included.

allenmurray
11-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I am not sure that this is a well written piece of journalism.

My reasoning is this. There is an undertone in the article that Jeremy Tyler is immature and of questionable character. The only direct quotes from Jeremy are as follows:

"My mission is to shake David Stern’s hand"

"If you take me from when I first got off the plane, I have changed and developed and matured so much."

"I feel like the person (his father) I felt like was so dear to me and I loved the most is someone that I can’t trust. For him to say that, it really breaks my heart."

"I wish I was going back with you (to the United States).”

From these quotes, we have a picture of Jeremy as a lonely, motivated, homesick kid. The opinion on Jeremy's character and maturity are sourced not from him, but from coaches and players from a culture that is very different than ours. I do not doubt that they find him to be immature and unmanly, but they do so from their viewpoint. It is ill advised to translate directly into our world the opinions of those across an extreme cultural divide.

So Jeremy cries. So what? He's in culture shock. His apartment sucks. The plan was for his older brother to come and live with him and it didn't happen. How much do you think that affected the poor kid?

The post play is compared to mixed martial arts! Jeremy's coach said that he would want to "stab himself" if he played defense like Jeremy. Maybe Jeremy wasn't ready to play in a man's league in a country with a very different culture than our own, but I don't put all of that on the kid. He's a kid. He should have someone looking out for him. I'm sure he's not ready to play basketball professionally overseas, but I feel like the article attacks his character, and I don't like that.

The piece has a clear bias and a story that it wants to tell. Why didn't the writer ask Jeremy about the loud music incedent? Why didn't he ask him for his version of the elbow foul or why he thinks his coach doesn't know anything about basketball? Maybe because Jeremy articulated these events in a clear and thoughtful manner that would not have taken the article in the direction that the author wanted it to go in? That's my guess, because if they had shown Jeremy to be an immature primadonna, you can be sure those quotes would have been included.

Your sensitivity to someone who is, after all, just a kid is a refreshing change from many others on ths board. DBR posters can and should do better.

SupaDave
11-08-2009, 06:09 PM
College not looking so bad now eh?

BD80
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Here's all you need to know about the trouble Jeremy is in, adjusting to life in Israel, after leaving the US to play pro ball as a teenager:

sagegrouse

With Makhtar's cultural insensitivity and flamboyant "me-first" personality, he should be a wonderful fit in a hot spot like Haifa Israel. I wonder how the throat-slash demonstration will go over in that area?

speedevil2001
11-09-2009, 01:47 AM
calling a 16 y/os career pathetic is harsh. shame on the writer.

dont blame the kid. it's his parents, agents, handlers that are suppose to take care of him.

speedevil2001
11-09-2009, 01:48 AM
College not looking so bad now eh?

college compared to $140,000 playing 2 years overseas.
the money looks better to a 16 year old and his parents.

SupaDave
11-09-2009, 07:24 AM
My child's life and future would be worth a lot more than $140K...

flyingdutchdevil
11-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, I think the success of the Jennings experiment (so far) is going to completely overshadow the failure of the Tyler experiment (so far). IMO, this is going to be a trend that will continue, especially with those who don't understand the value of an education, whether it be 1 year or 4

Edouble
11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
college compared to $140,000 playing 2 years overseas.
the money looks better to a 16 year old and his parents.

That's less than the difference between sequential first year lottery contracts. If Tyler goes overseas and becomes the 5th pick in the draft (an arbitrary position, used for example purposes), he would have lost money if Pitino could have coached/molded him into the 4th pick in the draft.

speedevil2001
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
My child's life and future would be worth a lot more than $140K...

your child isnt the topic of conversation either

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 02:42 PM
He seems to be suffering from a bad case of hubris. Not showing up for things on time; talking too much and scoring too little. Not working hard. Just waiting for his golden ticket to arrive. Probably underestimated how hard the premier league in Israel would be.

I wonder if he'd have been different if he'd stayed in school in the US and played a year at Louisville. Character is sometimes maleable at that age and sometimes not.

But, hey: He's getting paid and doesn't have to go to class. I hope for his sake he screws his head back on and makes a go of it.

JaMarcus Russell
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I wonder if he'd have been different if he'd stayed in school in the US and played a year at Louisville. Character is sometimes maleable at that age and sometimes not.

That is a very important point. For some reason, it seems like people think he would immediately pan out if he went to Louisville. That is certainly not the case. I bet he is making more money than Derrick Caracter right now.