PDA

View Full Version : Jon Scheyer- We Want A Title This Year

Newton_14
11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Good article on Jon with his take on this year's team and their goals. Good stuff!

He is confident that this year's team will be the best he has played on. Let's hope that turns out to be the case. Will be a great year if it does.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/nov/06/blue-devils-scheyer-will-have-one-more-chance-to-w/sports-college/

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
The Charlotte Observer ran a story this weekend about Duke's prospects. It was a short decent analyis, with a best case scenario being that Mason and Miles shine, leading to an ACC championship and Duke going deep into the NCAA tourney. But not getting to the final four for this reason:

"A Final Four trip seems unlikely, though, because the Blue Devils don't have a player who can create his own shot in the closing seconds of a close game."

I think that by the end of the year both Singler and Smith, with Scheyer as an assist man or alternate feed, may be those kind of players. We'll see.

Here's a link to the article. I apologize if it's already been posted here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/college_hoops/story/1043758.html

airowe
11-09-2009, 12:39 PM
The Charlotte Observer ran a story this weekend about Duke's prospects. It was a short decent analyis, with a best case scenario being that Mason and Miles shine, leading to an ACC championship and Duke going deep into the NCAA tourney. But not getting to the final four for this reason:

"A Final Four trip seems unlikely, though, because the Blue Devils don't have a player who can create his own shot in the closing seconds of a close game."

Here's a link to the article. I apologize if it's already been posted here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/college_hoops/story/1043758.html

I don't buy into that, especially not with how much Singler has been working on his outside shot. A preseason All-American, and likely one by the end of the season, can certainly get his shot off against most defenders. Especially now that he's playing his rightful position and will likely be guarded by a smaller man.

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't buy into that, especially not with how much Singler has been working on his outside shot. A preseason All-American, and likely one by the end of the season, can certainly get his shot off against most defenders. Especially now that he's playing his rightful position and will likely be guarded by a smaller man.

...Which was exactly my point, if you read the part you snipped out of your quote. Glad you agree. Nolan may be the sort of go-to guy the Charlotte Obersver describes too by the end of the season. Both he and KS will benefit from Jon Scheyer's shooting and passing in that regard.

airowe
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
...Which was exactly my point, if you read the part you snipped out of your quote. Glad you agree. Nolan may be the sort of go-to guy the Charlotte Obersver describes too by the end of the season. Both he and KS will benefit from Jon Scheyer's shooting and passing in that regard.

Absolutely. I think we have our go-to guy in Singler, but we have more other options than we did last year. Scheyer or Smith can create off the dribble, while Kelly and Dawkins provide a deadly outside threat without giving up too much on defense like Paulus did last year. (Kelly is sort of not the same, but he won't be counted on to guard quick PGs...)

DukeBlood
11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
As many of you have stated, Singler will most likely be that player for us. Dont count out Smith either. The team/coaches have said its his time, So that bodes very well for Duke. What about Scheyer? He is very crafty and will find ways to score.

It may not be this year, but what about Andre? Does anyone feel that he will be this type of player? I know I believe it. Like 90% of the freshman out there, he just has to put it all together.