PDA

View Full Version : FB: Georgia Tech 49, Duke 10

loran16
11-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Okay, enough about the other teams in the Triangle. I don't want to talk about those games anymore.

Lets talk about how we can beat GT:

STEPS THAT WE NEED TO ACCOMPLISH:

Step 1: Reach the end zone early and OFTEN. GT's weakness is the pass...its secondary is not so good. Check out the Florida State game for example. Duke needs to score a lot of points in this game because well our weakness is our Run D. Which leads us to....

Step 2: Prevent GT from scoring a TD on 50% of its drives. We aren't very good at stopping the run. We're not going to get much better at doing so with a week of practice. GT is GOING TO SCORE ON US. That's okay if we can outscore them. But well, its hard to outscore the other team when they're scoring on every drive. We should have a shot if on every other drive GT is limited to 3 points or less.

Step 3: Take advantage of any turnovers. This is the only way we'll be able to accomplish Step 2. Today we forced 2 turnovers (Blocked Kick and an INT). We ended up with only 3 points total. If we don't capitalize next week, we're going to lose.

Step 4: Returning to Offense, now, We need to rely on our best weapon: Our Passing Game. Thad Lewis and our receivers are far more effective than our rushing game. This means to win i would think our play calling should be as follows:
1. Don't be Afraid to Abandon the Rush Early. If we get behind by two scores, i don't care how early it is, we'll need to use thad each down to come back.
2. Stop rushing in the Red Zone. The last two games we've had momentum just plain die on downs in the Red Zone where we rushed and were inevitably stuffed. I like Desmond Scott and i think he's really talented. But our Run-Blocking is terrible. And GT is a POOR pass D team. They Average 220 pass yards/game after the Wake game. WE MUST TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS. We took advantage of NC State's awful D with screens. Do THE SAME THING HERE.

Step 5: Special Teams as usual. Easily the best part of our game today. DO IT AGAIN

-----------------------------------------
I suspect our WRs will be banged up (Conner Vernon especially) but they should all be ready to play on Satruday. Let's give the Duke home crowd yet another reason to come to games and get our shot at bowl eligibility BACK ON TRACK.

Honest Prediction: Georgia Tech 45, Duke 35
Best Case Prediction: Duke 45, Georgia Tech 40

6th Man
11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd like to add if we beat Ga. Tech it throws us back in the mix with several 2 loss teams in the coastal division. Not sure how the tiebreaker works out. But this game has great importance. Despite the loss to UNC, please don't forget we have won 3 of our last 4 ACC games! Show up...be loud...and be proud! 2 more wins and 3 games left for bowl eligibility.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Next play. Go Devils!

wolfpackdevil
11-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Let's all take a deep breath...

After 9 nine games, Duke is 5-4 (3-2). If anybody had told me this at the beginning of the season, I would be so happy. Duke has had an amazing year this year with all the young players that they have had to play.

So the fact of the matter is a 6-6 season is very very good. If Duke can win 1 of its last 3 games and finish .500 in conference play, and overall, that would be amazing.

So I really hope they win their last 3 games and go to a bowl game. But if not, Duke football is getting better, and it will take a little bit longer.

Bob Green
11-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Let's all take a deep breath...

Excellent post! Today is a good day for Duke fans to examine their perspective. Our team is getting better and we all should be very proud of their efforts. As wolfpackdevil has already stated, it is going to take a little more time.

-bdbd
11-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Look, we did not play a bad game against Kerlina. It was a good, close contest that the bad guys pulled out in the fourth quarter. They just wore us down especially on the lines. No shame in that at all. We still have a team to be very proud of, going into mid-Nov. still with bowl aspirations!! (Can you believe we're saying that 2 short seasons after all that misery??) But if today showed us anything, it was that we are still a few horses short of matching up well with the bigger programs in the conference/country. I have every bit of faith in Cut getting us there, but it isn't as simple as installing a new offense, or a few pep talks, or even one good recruiting class. It takes time. Yes, we seem to be turning a corner. And yes, Cut seems to be bringing in the pieces via recruiting (esp in the athleticism/speed areas, but also on the lines).

All that said, I still think that we can give GT and Miami real runs for their money the next two weeks -- heck look at WF today! (They really shoulda won that game vs GT.) So, yes, it can be done. Let's stay focused, play a hell of a good Defensive game against the run, and take it to them!

Go Duke!!!

-BDBD :rolleyes:

SupaDave
11-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Okay, enough about the other teams in the Triangle. I don't want to talk about those games anymore.

Lets talk about how we can beat GT:

STEPS THAT WE NEED TO ACCOMPLISH:

Step 1: Reach the end zone early and OFTEN. GT's weakness is the pass...its secondary is not so good. Check out the Florida State game for example. Duke needs to score a lot of points in this game because well our weakness is our Run D. Which leads us to....

Step 2: Prevent GT from scoring a TD on 50% of its drives. We aren't very good at stopping the run. We're not going to get much better at doing so with a week of practice. GT is GOING TO SCORE ON US. That's okay if we can outscore them. But well, its hard to outscore the other team when they're scoring on every drive. We should have a shot if on every other drive GT is limited to 3 points or less.

Step 3: Take advantage of any turnovers. This is the only way we'll be able to accomplish Step 2. Today we forced 2 turnovers (Blocked Kick and an INT). We ended up with only 3 points total. If we don't capitalize next week, we're going to lose.

Step 4: Returning to Offense, now, We need to rely on our best weapon: Our Passing Game. Thad Lewis and our receivers are far more effective than our rushing game. This means to win i would think our play calling should be as follows:
1. Don't be Afraid to Abandon the Rush Early. If we get behind by two scores, i don't care how early it is, we'll need to use thad each down to come back.
2. Stop rushing in the Red Zone. The last two games we've had momentum just plain die on downs in the Red Zone where we rushed and were inevitably stuffed. I like Desmond Scott and i think he's really talented. But our Run-Blocking is terrible. And GT is a POOR pass D team. They Average 220 pass yards/game after the Wake game. WE MUST TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS. We took advantage of NC State's awful D with screens. Do THE SAME THING HERE.

Step 5: Special Teams as usual. Easily the best part of our game today. DO IT AGAIN

-----------------------------------------
I suspect our WRs will be banged up (Conner Vernon especially) but they should all be ready to play on Satruday. Let's give the Duke home crowd yet another reason to come to games and get our shot at bowl eligibility BACK ON TRACK.

Honest Prediction: Georgia Tech 45, Duke 35
Best Case Prediction: Duke 45, Georgia Tech 40

This is quite optimistic. Let's not forget that with all of Tech's running that the clock tend's to be their friend and not their opponents. This forces teams into frantic passing situations in which the secondary does well with but in college football any decent QB can be successful when the secondary is in prevent and you're throwing into safe areas.

Above all else, Duke will have to be ready to tackle and process the option b/c they will see it all day.

loran16
11-08-2009, 01:33 AM
This is quite optimistic. Let's not forget that with all of Tech's running that the clock tend's to be their friend and not their opponents. This forces teams into frantic passing situations in which the secondary does well with but in college football any decent QB can be successful when the secondary is in prevent and you're throwing into safe areas.

Above all else, Duke will have to be ready to tackle and process the option b/c they will see it all day.

Ummm, no? Listen, thinking Duke can shoot out with GT may be optimistic. But GT's Secondary IS THIS BAD.

It's why Wake was able to stay with them, and why FSU (who's been not very good this year) has been able to stay with them.

I'm very pessimistic on the odds of us stopping their offense. But their Pass D is pretty damn poor, and we CAN exploit that.

RepoMan
11-08-2009, 08:54 AM
We do not have a very good run defense, and Ga Tech is a running machine. They will score, and they will have long drives.

To win, we will need to have a big passing game. Look at the box score for the Wake v Ga Tech game. Wake had almost no rushing yards. That is the blueprint for us.

Early lead helps if possible. Ga Tech is not built for overcoming a defecit quickly. And, we have to capitalize on scoring opposrtunites--TDs, not FGs, in the red zone. Va Tech failed to do this, and that is why they lost to Ga Tech

sandinmyshoes
11-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech will be a lot more difficult to defend, but also easier to score against.

I don't know that we will win the game, but I'm keeping my eye on what we've accomplished so far. I think we may be a bit ahead of schedule even in Coach Cut's opinion.

Kewlswim
11-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I wonder if against UNC the Blue Devils played a bit too much against the shirt and not the player. I think that against GT it will be just another team. This is not to disrespect the Yellow Jackets, but beating the Heels means a lot to the Devils in a way that beating the Jackets does not. I think we will play looser, better, and more effectively. I know one shouldn't look ahead, but next season I think the UNC game will have a different feel. It will be at home, the Devils will have another year to gain strength (look at how many of those linemen were underclassmen for the Devils) and even more recruits will be wearing the right shade of Blue (in spite of the Tar Holes wanting to emulate our colors on the grid-iron.).

GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!!!

BEAT TECH!!

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I wish they'd hurry up and announce the time. Puhleeeez no nooner!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Amen, brother! Let somebody else have that honor.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2009, 02:06 PM
AAARRGGHHHHH!!!!! Damn you football gods! It's set for noon.:mad: ESPN2

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Interesting how many ACC games will be at noon next weekend.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2009, 02:14 PM
At least it's on a real channel, but hopefully everyone who can be there will be there!

wolfpackdevil
11-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't know why people are complaining about the game being at noon.

When was the last time Duke played on ESPN2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg_Newton
11-08-2009, 02:43 PM
We do not have a very good run defense, and Ga Tech is a running machine. They will score, and they will have long drives.

To win, we will need to have a big passing game. Look at the box score for the Wake v Ga Tech game. Wake had almost no rushing yards. That is the blueprint for us.

Early lead helps if possible. Ga Tech is not built for overcoming a defecit quickly. And, we have to capitalize on scoring opposrtunites--TDs, not FGs, in the red zone. Va Tech failed to do this, and that is why they lost to Ga Tech

I think the one thing that may work in our favor (besides their pass defense) is that our defense, while undersized, seems to be very disciplined and good at making open field tackles. We seem to struggle most against big, physical backs (Jackson, Houston) that just pound it up the middle over and over. I would rather face an option team than a power running team...

Bob Green
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM

For me, noon equals 2 am Sunday morning and that is an early reveille. In my youth I would have just stayed up all night.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Because the Brunchgate will be that much shorter. Tailgating is more fun when we get to do it all day long.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Because the Brunchgate will be that much shorter. Tailgating is more fun when we get to do it all day long.

Early morning tailgates are colder and the menus more limited. Fewer people are amenable to be guests at an early hour and fewer are out for the Devil Walk. I suspect that for those who must drive a number of hours to attend the game, an early game time may make a difference in whether they attend or not.

devildeac
11-08-2009, 03:26 PM

That means: BRUNCHGATE!

See you about 9 AM. Oysters?;):rolleyes: Or is that just crazietalk...

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2009, 04:05 PM
That means: BRUNCHGATE!

See you about 9 AM. Oysters?;):rolleyes: Or is that just crazietalk...
That's crazietalk...but there is truth to it! Yes, 3 bushels for breakfast.:D

Bob Green
11-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Georgia Tech has opened as an 8.5 point favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college%2Dfootball/odds/las%2Dvegas/

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2009, 06:29 PM

I bet it's at least 12 by game time. It's good to be the underdog.

OldPhiKap
11-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Interesting. Smaller than the UNC line by game time.

We've played an option team(Army) and did well. We are better than we were back then. Tech is good, but no one is invincible.

Win this, and we're back in the division hunt.

It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff gets everyone back up for this. It's new territory for the kids but not Cut and Crew.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!

RelativeWays
11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I like to think that this team is capable of a big season defining win (and I don't think it's the NCSU game). Outside of passing, I'm not sure how Duke is going to pull out the win. I know they CAN win, we're not talking about a miracle here, but I think the defense will need to play out of their minds. GT needed OT to beat WF so I doubt they sleep on Duke, but maybe they'll be emotionally drained. Last year, the offense gouldn generate anything so the defense was worn out by the 4th quarter. This has to be avoided. We can also hope that Nesbitt and Dwyer get a full blown case of H1N1 and have to sit out this game. I'll take any advantage.

watzone
11-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Here is Cutcliffe's call in show from Sunday - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/sunday-media-call-in-show-with-duke-football-coach-david-cutcliffe/

It lasts about ten minutes ... but he comments on the loss the week ahead and building a program

calltheobvious
11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Interesting. Smaller than the UNC line by game time.

Not really. When you discount for the home field, the 10-pt UNC line reflected the betting public's belief that UNC was seven points better than Duke on a neutral field. Right now the 8.5-point GT line represents a belief that GT is 11.5 points better than Duke on a neutral field.

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Winning two of the final three games would be huge for next year (Sean Renfree), not to mention making us bowl eligible.

Winning one of them, and losing the other two, would have me feeling optimistic for next year (Sean Renfree), even if that meant a loss against Wake.

Losing all three would suck, but I'd still be looking forward to next year (Sean Renfree).

But let's not get ahead of ourselves (Sean Renfree). A bowl game against Stanford would be sweet. [Though have you seen Andrew Luck and Toby Gerhart? Dang....].

OldPhiKap
11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Not really. When you discount for the home field, the 10-pt UNC line reflected the betting public's belief that UNC was seven points better than Duke on a neutral field. Right now the 8.5-point GT line represents a belief that GT is 11.5 points better than Duke on a neutral field.

Good point. OPK

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2009, 08:15 PM
BTT...I'll go ahead and say this is hands down the biggest game in Wallace Wade in years. The weather forecast is amazingly calling for NOT A SPECK OF RAIN, so if you are close enough to venture over to WW to see the Devils make a little magic on the field, then come out! Yeah..you could stay at home and watch with the rest of the country, or you could come help us make the crowd an audience worthy of national attention. (plus you get to stop by and say hi to the Brunchgaters). GO DUKE Wreck Tech!

DownEastDevil
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I have been scheduled to work all weekend so I won't be able to make the game. I how ever put my 4 tickets in the hands of a Blue Devil fan that will take my place cheering the Devils on to victory. I will be following the game from my office computer.

Bob Green
11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
The game has been picked up by American Forces Network so I will be able to comfortable watch on my TV instead of having to watch via streaming video on the computer. :)

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2009, 11:35 PM
The game has been picked up by American Forces Network so I will be able to comfortable watch on my TV instead of having to watch via streaming video on the computer. :)
How cool is that?!

DukeSean
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm thinking of canceling a date so I can watch the game instead...

GO DUKE!

Battierfan01
11-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Man with all the news surrounding HB, I almost forgot that there is a BIG football game tomorrow in Durham. I hope we pack out Wallace Wade. GO DUKE!!

chi
11-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Seems like a great kid (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/sports/ncaafootball/13tech.html) but I still wanna beat them ...

throatybeard
11-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Don't look now, but Georgia Tech is the highest ranked 1-loss team in the BCS, at #7. This is probably the best team we've played, with apologies to Virginia Tech.

It's highly unlikely that a 12-1 Georgia Tech (wins vs us, WFU, UGA, and in the ACCG) could play for the BCS title, but what if

Alabama stumbles (against AU, say)
Alabama recovers to beat Florida
Texas screws up B12CG, against K-State say.
Pittsburgh beats Cincinnati
Pollsters fail to keep moving Boise State up the ladder as these happen

Could you have a Georgia Tech-Alabama title game? Georgia Tech-Florida?

Wander
11-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Don't forget TCU. Even with all that, we all know that Texas/Bama/Florida will need not one but two losses to fall behind G Tech. We may not want to admit it, but that's what it would take.

By the way, HTF did Pitt lose to NC State?!

Duvall
11-13-2009, 11:28 PM
By the way, HTF did Pitt lose to NC State?!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200808/20080805mf_wannstedt0805_500.jpg

Bob Green
11-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Could you have a Georgia Tech-Alabama title game? Georgia Tech-Florida?

I would love to see Georgia Tech play in the National Championship game, as it would be great for ACC football, but I would rather see Duke beat Georgia Tech tomorrow. If Georgia Tech defeats Duke as expected, I'll jump on the Yellow Jackets bandwagon. Hopefully, GT gets whacked at Wallace Wade.

davekay1971
11-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Just a thought as Duke starts out scoring a TD on their first drive and forcing a 3 and out on GT immediately thereafter:

IF Duke wins today, they will have the tiebreaker advantage over GT for 1st place in their division.

Tampa Bay is still a real possibility... :D

Gewebe14
11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Any one know injury status??

bigj4194
11-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Any one know injury status??

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17779

msdukie
11-14-2009, 12:50 PM
NEW HELMETS FOR DUKE TODAY....

Not working.

arnie
11-14-2009, 01:13 PM
NEW HELMETS FOR DUKE TODAY....

Not working.

Miserable performace so far - the missed touchdown throw by Lewis sort of sums it all up.

YourLandlord
11-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Miserable performace so far - the missed touchdown throw by Lewis sort of sums it all up.

That and overrunning the muffed punt. What a joke.

YourLandlord
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
300,000 fans in wallace wade today wouldn't matter.

we're getting crushed.

sandinmyshoes
11-14-2009, 02:43 PM
This is more than a little frustrating. I just keep trying to remember that we've made great strides this year no matter how the season winds down. :(

weezie
11-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Absolutely! Heck, we're up against a very good team today. Duke can take pride in a positive season.

PDDuke85
11-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Dear Santa....

Offensive line
Active linebackers
Defensive secondary taller than Herve Villechaize

Still, progress is palpable

sandinmyshoes
11-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Dear Santa....

Offensive line
Active linebackers
Defensive secondary taller than Herve Villechaize

Still, progress is palpable

Don't make me laugh when I'm feeling bruised.

cbfx3
11-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Well the weather was fantastic... otherwise I'da left sooner.

Need more bodies

SharkD
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Obviously, what our offense is missing is perfecting the forward lateral, er... I mean "fumble." (See: UNC v. Miami)

PSurprise
11-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I guess our strategy of trying to wear out their offense didn't work as planned. Darn it. Maybe next time...