PDA

View Full Version : Wanna watch UNC play?

kong123
11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-north-carolina.html

DukieInKansas
11-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Only if it is for a spot in the tiddly winks championship. ;)

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-06-2009, 09:06 PM
To answer the question of if i want to watch a tar heel play, its NO.

kong123
11-06-2009, 09:22 PM
well.... they were sloppy as expected, they played faster than I expected, blocked lots of shots as expected, but no perimeter shooting.

any other thoughts?

BD80
11-06-2009, 09:51 PM
well.... they were sloppy as expected, they played faster than I expected, blocked lots of shots as expected, but no perimeter shooting.

any other thoughts?

A lot of blocked shots: Kinda like if a DBR team played a 5th grade team.

Kimist
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
....it seems the heels did not fare too well.

Dadgum!

k

Newton_14
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
A lot of blocked shots: Kinda like if a DBR team played a 5th grade team.

One thing we know about ol roy is he will play fast come hell or high water. That's likely good news for us given the lack of experienced guards on that team.

His 06 team had success but averaged about 20 TO's per game. I expect this team will do the same. Don't get me wrong, I am smart enough to know that they will win games for sure.

But they have no proven scorers and somebody has to put the ball in the hole. Deon will provide his share, and I expect Ginyard will step up his offense as well. Can Davis avg a lot of points if the defense is focused on him like they were on hanswalk last year? I would say he is good enough to raise his avg from last year but will not approach what hanswalk gave them in regards to scoring.

Outside of those 3, who is going to carry the offensive load??

Like I said, I am smart enough to know they will be a good team, but they have far too many question marks at this point to declare them the 4th best team in the country, even considering the competition across college bball.

GTHC GTH 9F 9F 9F

eightyearoldsdude
11-06-2009, 11:06 PM
One thing we know about ol roy is he will play fast come hell or high water. That's likely good news for us given the lack of experienced guards on that team.

His 06 team had success but averaged about 20 TO's per game. I expect this team will do the same. Don't get me wrong, I am smart enough to know that they will win games for sure.

But they have no proven scorers and somebody has to put the ball in the hole. Deon will provide his share, and I expect Ginyard will step up his offense as well. Can Davis avg a lot of points if the defense is focused on him like they were on hanswalk last year? I would say he is good enough to raise his avg from last year but will not approach what hanswalk gave them in regards to scoring.

Outside of those 3, who is going to carry the offensive load??

Like I said, I am smart enough to know they will be a good team, but they have far too many question marks at this point to declare them the 4th best team in the country, even considering the competition across college bball.

GTHC GTH 9F 9F 9F

I agree with the gist of this--the heels are not a top-4 team, maybe not even top 10. Given our insane OOC schedule, I'd expect us to drop into the late teens or early 20's in the rankings at some point. But then, who cares about the rankings in december, or ever? I also expect us to improve fairly dramatically over the course of the year. But we are not going to repeat, and I don't think we'll even make the elite 8 given our weakness in perimeter shooting. Bullock and Marshall are going to be just what the doctor ordered...

Newton_14
11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
I agree with the gist of this--the heels are not a top-4 team, maybe not even top 10. Given our insane OOC schedule, I'd expect us to drop into the late teens or early 20's in the rankings at some point. But then, who cares about the rankings in december, or ever? I also expect us to improve fairly dramatically over the course of the year. But we are not going to repeat, and I don't think we'll even make the elite 8 given our weakness in perimeter shooting. Bullock and Marshall are going to be just what the doctor ordered...

If you get good guard play, then you go from good team to above avg team, and I would say the ceiling would be Final 8. If the guards struggle, then losing in the 2nd round is likely.

I am not a believer in Graves. I know Wheat is expecting him to step up but I just don't see it. The kid can shoot the rock, that much I give him. But can he do it if he is the only consistent perimeter threat and the defenses are keying on him? Doubt it.

The fate resides in Strickland and McDonald in regards to the 3 ball. It would not surprise me if Ginyard stepped it up and became a decent threat from 3 either. I do expect him to be more offensive minded. But like I said in my other post, there are question marks on who scores the ball and can anyone be a consistent threat behind the arc.

Season is almost here. Can't wait to see how all the teams look coming out of the gate..

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm afraid of Henson, i hope he leaves after this year.

kong123
11-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Henson blocked a number of shots where it appeared he had no chance to do so. He finished with 4. His offense seemed rushed and two air balled free throws left him with only 5 points.

Zeller looked great on offense, but he still doesnt seem to move his feet on defense. The holes on defense looked impressive at times. I think they are much faster and more athletic than they were last year. I also think they are more talented overall, but the talent isn't as balanced as it was last year.

I think this will be another year where their inside game will dominate ours, but with no proven outside scorer to provide balance, the zone will be the defense of choice against them.

Ginyard looks quicker and Thompson looks like the go-to guy. Davis looked fine as well. Strickland and Drew looked like they were trying to go faster than they should go. They both looked like Thomas did a few years ago, a fish out of water.

airowe
11-07-2009, 09:58 AM
8 year olds,

Did you just say that Marshall is just what the dr ordered for perimeter shooting? Do you know anything about his game? He's a pass-first, second, and third PG. Bullock will be good, but you guys shouldn't count on him for much outside scoring.

Wheat, if you're out there, I'll bet you something (anything) that Justin Watts scores more points for you this year than Graves does.

GTHC, GTH.

speedevil2001
11-08-2009, 02:04 AM

no...........

Bob Green
11-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Wheat, if you're out there, I'll bet you something (anything) that Justin Watts scores more points for you this year than Graves does.GTHC, GTH.

According to this blog entry (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/closed-vandy-scrimmage-a-slap-for-unc), Graves is struggling with a sore back, which has negatively impacted his physical conditioning. He currently weighs 254 pounds. Anyone who has ever struggled with back problems understands the difficult situation Graves faces.

The linked article is several days old and Graves did start in UNC's most recent exhibition against Belmont Abbey, however, sore backs tend to be a lingering problem.

So I don't believe Wheat will be making any bets.

airowe
11-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for ruining my fun Bob. ;)

dukemsu
11-08-2009, 05:03 PM

No.

dukemsu

Wheat/"/"/"
11-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Wheat, if you're out there, I'll bet you something (anything) that Justin Watts scores more points for you this year than Graves does.
GTHC, GTH.

Just saw this...but have not seen the Heels play, so far.

I hear Watts has improved, and Graves is hurt, so this could be tough...
But Graves is a scorer and 'Ol Roy hasn't given up on him just yet... so he must not be that hurt.

I'm a bit of a gambler, and see myself a slight favorite here... I'll take that bet for a $20 gift certificate from Fandango- one us will enjoy a good movie.

You up for that?

dukegirlinsc
11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
It should be fun to watch them play this year, just because they're not going to be nearly as dynamic as they were last year. (Or they shouldn't be, anyways.)

Look forward to seeing a frustrated Roy. :confused:

airowe
11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Just saw this...but have not seen the Heels play, so far.

I hear Watts has improved, and Graves is hurt, so this could be tough...
But Graves is a scorer and 'Ol Roy hasn't given up on him just yet... so he must not be that hurt.

I'm a bit of a gambler, and see myself a slight favorite here... I'll take that bet for a $20 gift certificate from Fandango- one us will enjoy a good movie.

You up for that?

Just in case one of us forgets, please do your best to remind us at the end of the season. Movie's on you Wheat :p

Edouble
11-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Just in case one of us forgets, please do your best to remind us at the end of the season. Movie's on you Wheat :p

I assume this means that an official internet handshake has occurred. I will do my best to remember this bet. It's pretty funny. Maybe you should just put it on your subject line, under your "props" quote?