PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NBA Mock Draft

mj2345
11-06-2009, 08:59 AM
First release of the 2010 mock draft.

Singler # 19. I think that is reasonable.

http://flagrantfouls.com/2009/11/2010-nba-mock-draft-10/

dukieinhebron
11-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I think it might take a while longer for the Hawks to draft someone else from Duke. Since they took Shelden in 2006 with the 5th pick overrall. Didn't quite work out, but Shelden is fitting in nicely with Boston.

mj2345
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
most mock drafts are based on last years standings so its doubtful that the teams in the slots are going to actually be the case. Its more to see that Singler is in the mid teen to early twenties in the draft.

JasonEvans
11-06-2009, 10:24 AM
most mock drafts are based on last years standings so its doubtful that the teams in the slots are going to actually be the case. Its more to see that Singler is in the mid teen to early twenties in the draft.

If he is projected in the mid-late teens, which is a tremendously uncertain place to be, then you can probably move Kyle to your 2011 mock draft.

--Jason "just a feeling, but I expect him to be back for his senior season to set some impressive career marks and other cool stuff" Evans

CameronDuke
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Interesting to see Larry Sanders of Virginia Commonwealth listed in the first round on that mock draft. It would be the second player drafted in two years for VCU, who as we all remember, upset Duke in the 2007 NCAA Tournament on a last second shot by Eric Maynor (now with the Utah Jazz after being drafted in the first round of the 2009 NBA Draft). Rarely does a mid major program have players drafted in the first round in two consecutive years. Looks like before he left, Jeff Capel put down a great foundation for VCU to build upon for years to come, and they are still going strong!

Also, to kind of piggy back on this topic, I did a search on nbadraft.net for an early 2011 NBA Mock Draft, and found some interesting projections. They have Duke target (and hopefully commit) Harrison Barnes going first overall in 2011, and they also have him listed at 6'8" and 209 lbs. I had thought he was closer to 6'6", 190 lbs...

Duke commit Kyrie Irving is listed as 16th overall on nbadraft.net in the 2011 NBA Mock Draft with Kyle Singler going 17th overall. Interestingly, Nolan Smith wasn't listed in the 2011 NBA Mock Draft on this site...

I sure hope that Kyrie Irving isn't a one and done player for Duke, and if Harrison Barnes comes to Duke, it would be a big blow to Duke's program if he were one and done as well...

Link: http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

COYS
11-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I sure hope that Kyrie Irving isn't a one and done player for Duke, and if Harrison Barnes comes to Duke, it would be a big blow to Duke's program if he were one and done as well...

Link: http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

Not at all. If both guys are one and done it means they are every bit as talented as we think. It means they will have great first seasons at Duke and hopefully win a title and at least reach a final four. Nothing wrong with any of that.

BlueintheFace
11-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Singler coming back with only one exception... NPOY

CameronDuke
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Not at all. If both guys are one and done it means they are every bit as talented as we think. It means they will have great first seasons at Duke and hopefully win a title and at least reach a final four. Nothing wrong with any of that.

Let me rephrase, I think the only way it wouldn't be a big blow to Duke is if they indeed do what you say and that is win a National Title or at least take Duke to the Final Four. I think if they both left for the NBA (assuming we get Harrison Barnes in the first place) after just one season and no national title, that would be a major blow to Duke's program and talent level. Even if we do go to the Final Four with them, and they leave, it would still drop off their talent level considerably. I could take them staying two years and going pro, but those one and dones kill programs year in and year out...i.e. Eric Gordon at Indiana (Indiana has been down recently), Luol Deng at Duke (Duke hasn't reached an Elite Eight since Deng), Carmelo Anthony at Syracuse (they have fallen off a bit after he left though he did bring them a national title), etc...

SilkyJ
11-07-2009, 10:04 PM
If he is projected in the mid-late teens, which is a tremendously uncertain place to be, then you can probably move Kyle to your 2011 mock draft.

--Jason "just a feeling, but I expect him to be back for his senior season to set some impressive career marks and other cool stuff" Evans

I agree, esp. if he is projected in mid-late teens. If he moves to 8-12, like Gerald did, I think adios, and its hard to blame him.

I see him coming back b/c I think he'll be in the mid-teens at the end of the year, but who knows. If he averages 20 7 and 3 in the best conference in basketball and shows hes quick enough to play the 2/3 in the NBA, i think it'd be tough for him to not go in the lottery.

Ugh, why am I doing this, its so hard to project with zero real basketball having been played.

COYS
11-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Let me rephrase, I think the only way it wouldn't be a big blow to Duke is if they indeed do what you say and that is win a National Title or at least take Duke to the Final Four. I think if they both left for the NBA (assuming we get Harrison Barnes in the first place) after just one season and no national title, that would be a major blow to Duke's program and talent level. Even if we do go to the Final Four with them, and they leave, it would still drop off their talent level considerably. I could take them staying two years and going pro, but those one and dones kill programs year in and year out...i.e. Eric Gordon at Indiana (Indiana has been down recently), Luol Deng at Duke (Duke hasn't reached an Elite Eight since Deng), Carmelo Anthony at Syracuse (they have fallen off a bit after he left though he did bring them a national title), etc...

Indiana has a lot of issues that had nothing to do with Gordon that have kept them down. I would argue that Duke and Deng, Wright and UNC, Love and UCLA, even Rose at Memphis if Calipari had stayed and brought his UK class to Memphis instead are examples of programs who had one and dones who easily continue to be relevant. Most teams can't repeat a trip to the Final Four anyway, but Duke didn't fail to make a FF in 2005 and 2006 solely because Deng hurt us so much. Deng would've helped, but would you have given up the 2004 season to have a lesser talent on the team? Of course not. Did Maggette hurt Duke so badly by leaving in '99? Besides, if Kyrie and Harrison both end up at Duke and leave after one year, it's not like we won't have anybody on the team. We'll have Dawkins, both Plumlees (and maybe a third), Curry, Thornton, Hairston, and hopefully at least one out of Rivers, Beal, and Miller. Add to that the fact that Duke would have just turned high profile high school recruits into lottery picks which only helps recruiting and I feel like it's really hard to draw any serious negatives from having Kyrie and Barnes for one year. Yeah, maybe it's a gamble in that they will scare Miller and other players away from Duke, we won't make the final four, and then they'll be gone with no replacements, but that seems like a risk that is absolutely worth taking.

CameronDuke
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I think players that leave after one year/don't come to Duke in the first place/leave early hurt Duke tremondously and have for years. Duke hasn't had a highly athletic point guard of the Jason Williams/Chris Duhon mold since 2004 and that has been a major downside to their team. They haven't been able to defend dribble penetration against faster point guards. They had a great PG coming in 2004 (Shaun Livingston) but he never came because he went pro, and Duke suffered big time. They had a great combo guard last season (Elliot Williams) that would have been a big contributer this season at Duke but he transferred after a year and leaves Duke's backcourt really thin. McRoberts left early leaving Duke with no go to big man for the last two seasons (Thomas and Zoubek are decent but nowhere near McRoberts in terms of athleticism and scoring). Taylor King transferred after a year which I believe also hurt Duke's team, leaving them with one less dead on 3-point shooter. Most of these guys (McRoberts for sure, Livingston, Williams) were 5-star recruits who were either one and done and transfer, two and done and NBA/transfer, and their departures have hurt Duke big time over the years. The last thing I want is to get a huge amount of talent (both Irving and Barnes are highly rated recruits) and have them bolt early. You may want one good run to the Final Four, but I want at least two years of ACC dominance and deep runs into the Final Four. I believe if they were to leave early, assuming we get Barnes in the first place, Duke is back to the middle of the pack in terms of talent in 2011-2012. They would have maybe both Plumlees, Dawkins, Kelly, Hairston, Thornton, Czyz, and some of the recruits you mentioned. Not exactly the same as if they still had Irving and Barnes in my opinion.

NSDukeFan
11-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I think players that leave after one year/don't come to Duke in the first place/leave early hurt Duke tremondously and have for years. Duke hasn't had a highly athletic point guard of the Jason Williams/Chris Duhon mold since 2004 and that has been a major downside to their team. They haven't been able to defend dribble penetration against faster point guards. They had a great PG coming in 2004 (Shaun Livingston) but he never came because he went pro, and Duke suffered big time. They had a great combo guard last season (Elliot Williams) that would have been a big contributer this season at Duke but he transferred after a year and leaves Duke's backcourt really thin. McRoberts left early leaving Duke with no go to big man for the last two seasons (Thomas and Zoubek are decent but nowhere near McRoberts in terms of athleticism and scoring). Taylor King transferred after a year which I believe also hurt Duke's team, leaving them with one less dead on 3-point shooter. Most of these guys (McRoberts for sure, Livingston, Williams) were 5-star recruits who were either one and done and transfer, two and done and NBA/transfer, and their departures have hurt Duke big time over the years. The last thing I want is to get a huge amount of talent (both Irving and Barnes are highly rated recruits) and have them bolt early. You may want one good run to the Final Four, but I want at least two years of ACC dominance and deep runs into the Final Four. I believe if they were to leave early, assuming we get Barnes in the first place, Duke is back to the middle of the pack in terms of talent in 2011-2012. They would have maybe both Plumlees, Dawkins, Kelly, Hairston, Thornton, Czyz, and some of the recruits you mentioned. Not exactly the same as if they still had Irving and Barnes in my opinion.

I think you just made COYS' point that it is a risk worth taking. We don't know if Irving and (hopefully Barnes) will stay beyond one year, but it is certainly worth the risk. If they do leave early, we won't be as strong because of that, but we still have some excellent players and the chance to recruit some other top level talent. The other option would be to go after only 4 star level talent that has no chance to leave early for the NBA and I can't imagine you would recommend that.

dukeballer2294
11-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Honestly who knows what the outcomes will be... maybe KI and HB do great win a title and leave or maybe in 3 years Roscoe Smith and Ray Mccalum become NBA superstars and we are wondering why we didnt have them as our number 1 options. Money is on the former to do well but without having played a single game as a senior in HS its way to early to tell.

On a different note it was in a way encouraging to see 5 players in the first round of the 2012 mock draft that could potentially wear duke blue. Kyrie, Barnes, Mason, Curry, Rivers

dukieinhebron
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Roscoe is 25th in the 2011 mock draft.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
So since we are already talking NBA draft, how did Duke do this season? Did we make the Final Four?

Newton_14
11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
So since we are already talking NBA draft, how did Duke do this season? Did we make the Final Four?

In my Flash Forward I was watching a Kyle Singler interview on April 29th. Duke had won the National Title and Kyle was announcing that he was returning for his SR year to try to go back to back with Barnes and Irving coming in...

P.S.- Congrats on reaching 3K posts!

NSDukeFan
11-09-2009, 10:02 AM
In my Flash Forward I was watching a Kyle Singler interview on April 29th. Duke had won the National Title and Kyle was announcing that he was returning for his SR year to try to go back to back with Barnes and Irving coming in...

I guess I can relax now and enjoy the season. Thanks for the flash forward. That's how I keep imagining it happening as well. :D

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-09-2009, 10:16 AM

I'm inclined to agree on this point. Duke would be much better if they had the players that didn't come to Duke. Shaun Livingston? Kobe Bryant? Michael Jordan? David Thompson? Wilt Chamberlain?

Who beats that team?

I know it's contrary to a thread with a stated topic of an NBA draft that's still 9 months out, but geez people, there's a difference between "what might happen" and "what if..." in the past.

Here's to hoping that Duke's team is so wildly sucessful and there is SO much talent coming in for 2010 that our biggest concern is who is going to take the money.

DukieTiger
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM

^Didn't you learn ANYTHING from last week's episode?? ;)

CameronDuke
11-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm inclined to agree on this point. Duke would be much better if they had the players that didn't come to Duke. Shaun Livingston? Kobe Bryant? Michael Jordan? David Thompson? Wilt Chamberlain?

Who beats that team?

I know it's contrary to a thread with a stated topic of an NBA draft that's still 9 months out, but geez people, there's a difference between "what might happen" and "what if..." in the past.

Here's to hoping that Duke's team is so wildly sucessful and there is SO much talent coming in for 2010 that our biggest concern is who is going to take the money.

By saying "don't come to Duke in the first place" I meant players that had committed to Duke but went pro instead, which is now against the rules. Specifically, I was referring to Shaun Livingston, who signed with Duke but turned down college to go pro before every coming to Duke for one year. That is now illegal, as you probably know, but that was who I was talking about. I wasn't saying random players that didn't come to Duke end up hurting Duke, such as players committed to other schools or players that went to other schools. I was saying players that committed to Duke and never honored their commitment (Livingston essentially). I would argue that players who also come to college for a year before going pro hurt their programs in terms of a talent drop off for years to come as much as players that go pro before even stepping foot on a college campus. I think the one year in college rule serves no purpose, it just forces these "student" athletes to play in essentially a "minor league basketball" league which they call the NCAA. Same in football. NCAA Football is sort of a minor league for the NFL. Many student athletes go to schools for the education, but it is turning very fast into minor league professional sports in NCAA Basketball and Football (insurance policies on players in college, multi million dollar contracts for coaches who make more than most professors combined at these institutions, professional sports "advisors" for student athletes, etc.) That is a whole other subject, though, but my point is one and done players as well as players that went pro out of high school in the past have hurt many college programs, including Duke.

UrinalCake
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
So what you're saying is that Duke would have been BETTER if Deng and Elliot Williams had never come for the one year, or if Livingston had never committed? That argument can only be made IF you can point to other players who would have come in their place, and who would have benefited the program further down the road. To my knowledge, I don't know of anyone who has said "I would have gone to Duke if Deng hadn't gone there."

If anything, the presence of these types of players encourages future highly-rated prospects to come, whether they turn out to be one-and-doners or not.

COYS
11-09-2009, 02:52 PM
So what you're saying is that Duke would have been BETTER if Deng and Elliot Williams had never come for the one year, or if Livingston had never committed? That argument can only be made IF you can point to other players who would have come in their place, and who would have benefited the program further down the road. To my knowledge, I don't know of anyone who has said "I would have gone to Duke if Deng hadn't gone there."

If anything, the presence of these types of players encourages future highly-rated prospects to come, whether they turn out to be one-and-doners or not.

Also, it's not like Elliot Williams committed to Duke, played a year, and left on a whim. If his mother were healthy, we'd be excited about his breakout year in Duke blue. I don't even think Williams should count in this discussion as family emergencies are a possibility with literally every single recruit in all of college basketball.

crimsonandblue
11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Also, it's not like Elliot Williams committed to Duke, played a year, and left on a whim. If his mother were healthy, we'd be excited about his breakout year in Duke blue. I don't even think Williams should count in this discussion as family emergencies are a possibility with literally every single recruit in all of college basketball.

Not orphaned children without siblings or any extended family. Please confine your recruiting to same.

CameronDuke
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM

No, I'm saying players that leave early or players that committed and went pro (in the past) hurt Duke tremondously for a while. In particular, the departure of Deng/Livingston never coming REALLY hurt Duke these past few years. Duke didn't have an athletic PG to stop dribble penetration and didn't have the talent level in general that they would have had if those players I mentioned had stayed.

ScreechTDX1847
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Does anyone really think Sherron Collins will go that late? After Vasquez? That kid is probably the most athletic/playmaking PG in the country. I haven't seen Wall yet, but regardless I'm surprised he isn't projected higher.

CEF1959
11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
If this projection has any validity at all, notice the number of teams that would suffer significant drains of key talent:

North Carolina
Kentucky
Kansas
Georgia Tech

As for Sherron Collins, he might suffer just because of the quality of PGs available this coming year. I could see Vasquez being a better pro than Collins. But when you're talking a few places in the second round, you aren't talking about big differences.

As others have pointed out, though, it's pretty speculative at this point. There will likely be a lot of movement over the course of the year.

I do think it's a good sign for college basketball for the player who leads the polling for POTY to projected as a second rounder. I'm not strong on the idea that college b-ball is just NBA-lite.