PDA

View Full Version : Chick-fil-A Bowl will check out the Blue Devils vs UNC

watzone
11-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Bowls! Who would have thought that the Chic-fil-A Bowl would be taking a look at Duke this season? Well, they are and a win would be oh-so awesome this weekend - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/chick-fil-a-bowl-will-check-out-duke-and-unc-this-weekend/

Battierfan01
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM
WOW this is GREAT. Two of the best things in the world, DUKE and Chick-fil-a!!

MulletMan
11-04-2009, 01:28 PM
WOW this is GREAT. Two of the best things in the world, DUKE and Chick-fil-a!!

Just not on Sunday. Not on Sunday.

bigj4194
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Go duke and gthc!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2009, 01:42 PM

How about New Year's Eve? ;)

blazindw
11-04-2009, 03:17 PM
NYE in the ATL? I'm with it!

jv001
11-04-2009, 03:43 PM

No game on Sunday..Chic-fil-A not open on Sundays. Go Duke!

InSpades
11-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Is there still a chick-fil-a on campus? Because that was perhaps the best thing to happen to Duke during my short stay there :).

DukeCO2009
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
The guys on ESPN just called us "the fighting Krzyzewskis" when they were talking about the ACC bowl picture. Got a big kick out of that.

DevilWolf
11-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Duke vs. Ole Miss in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

juise
11-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Duke vs. Ole Miss in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Who would Eli be pulling for? Probably his alma mater. Maybe Duke could get Peyton on its sideline... he's better anyway. ;)

CEF1959
11-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Given the games remaining and a need for two more wins, this game against Carolina is huge.

Olympic Fan
11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I have to admit that I'm a lot less excited by this news that some of you (maybe because Chick-fil-a is about my least favorite fast food).

But in the last decade, the idea of bowl scouts visiting games means a heck of a lot less than it used to. Bowl committees are now filled out by bunch of fat cats, many of whom pay for the priviledge of wearing a blazer and traveling to "scout" games. They are everywhere, crawling out of the woodwork. It's a perk that comes with the job.

It doesn't mean anything.

If Duke gets its seven wins and bowl eligibility, the ex-Peach Bowl wouldn't give the Devils a second thought. About the only way that Duke -- with its tiny fan base -- could end up in Atlanta would be to invoke the ACC two-win rule -- Duke would have to finish two wins higher in the ACC standings than any other candidate. They could (and would) take a 5-3 Clemson team over a 6-2 Duke.

Whatever choice is made, it will be based on fan base and records and projected TV ratings ... nothing the bowl scouts see Saturday in Chapel Hill is going to impact that choice.

Note: Please understand that I'm not saying it's not a HUGE game -- it is. I'm just saying that the fact that some so-called bowl scouts will be there is no big deal.

El_Diablo
11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I heard somewhere that we had a couple bowl scouts at the Maryland game as well...Chick-Fil-A and some other bowl. Not sure how true that was though.

InSpades--YES :)

shoutingncu
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
...Maybe Duke could get Peyton on its sideline... he's better anyway. ;)

Be careful what you wish for... ;)

CEF1959
11-04-2009, 08:01 PM
BTW, why do bowl reps have to go to a game to scout possible teams? Seems like a committee boondoggle to me. Is there some information they can get in person that they couldn't get by looking at scores, W-L records, and attendance figures?

NovaScotian
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Is there still a chick-fil-a on campus? Because that was perhaps the best thing to happen to Duke during my short stay there :).

oh hell yes! its in the west union building and was both the the number one reason i loved duke and the number one reason i gained 10 pounds my first semester.

Edouble
11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
If Duke gets its seven wins and bowl eligibility, the ex-Peach Bowl wouldn't give the Devils a second thought. About the only way that Duke -- with its tiny fan base -- could end up in Atlanta would be to invoke the ACC two-win rule -- Duke would have to finish two wins higher in the ACC standings than any other candidate. They could (and would) take a 5-3 Clemson team over a 6-2 Duke.

But how do they know that we would have a tiny fan base? We haven't been in a bowl game in 15 years. I would think that Duke fans would be excited for the chance to finally travel to see their football team in a bowl game. I would also think that the TV ratings would be good just because people would be really curious about us since we haven't had a winning season in a very long time.

wAhch mOr Duek

--The Cows

blazindw
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
But how do they know that we would have a tiny fan base? We haven't been in a bowl game in 15 years. I would think that Duke fans would be excited for the chance to finally travel to see their football team in a bowl game. I would also think that the TV ratings would be good just because people would be really curious about us since we haven't had a winning season in a very long time.

wAhch mOr Duek

--The Cows

And you put us in a bowl game near our huge alumni bases--DC, NYC, ATL and NC--and you can have a ton of people heading to the game. I know I will be one of them (should we become bowl-eligible *knock on wood**knock on wood**knock on wood*)

JasonEvans
11-05-2009, 08:43 AM
And you put us in a bowl game near our huge alumni bases--DC, NYC, ATL and NC--and you can have a ton of people heading to the game. I know I will be one of them (should we become bowl-eligible *knock on wood**knock on wood**knock on wood*)

But, what bowls really want is fans who will travel, not fans who already live there. Fans who travel stay in hotels, buy stuff, and eat in restaurants. Fans who already live in the city do not. Ticket sales are only a small part of the picture of a bowl's economic impact upon a city.

That said, because of Durham's proximity to Atlanta, I think you would see a fair number of Duke fans travel down for the game. We wouldn't bring in as many fans as -- for example -- Clemson or UNC, but it would be a decent crowd, I would suspect.

It would likely take 8 wins, including an upset of Ga Tech or Miami, to get Duke to the Chick-fil-a Bowl (a fairly high profile bowl game with a large payout), but I think it is possible.

--Jason "lets just win out and go to a BCS bowl, ok?" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
oh hell yes! its in the west union building and was both the the number one reason i loved duke and the number one reason i gained 10 pounds my first semester.

Really? Sadly, I think Chick-fil-a is one of the more "healthy" options at Duke. It's the dillo that absolutely destroyed my weight. Hands down, no questions asked, the best place on campus

davekay1971
11-05-2009, 04:09 PM
The East Campus Food Court did something to my GI tract in 1989, and I have never quite recovered.

Or maybe it was the Schaefer beer...

juise
11-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Really? Sadly, I think Chick-fil-a is one of the more "healthy" options at Duke. It's the dillo that absolutely destroyed my weight. Hands down, no questions asked, the best place on campus

Chips. And. Queso.

For the record, I have great memories of grabbing Chick-Fil-A at the beginning of my afternoon break... and then eating with some buddies on a quad bench (on a beautiful spring day) or going back to the dorm to watch PTI. I often pine for those days as I spend afternoons in this windowless office.

blazindw
11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
But, what bowls really want is fans who will travel, not fans who already live there. Fans who travel stay in hotels, buy stuff, and eat in restaurants. Fans who already live in the city do not. Ticket sales are only a small part of the picture of a bowl's economic impact upon a city.

That said, because of Durham's proximity to Atlanta, I think you would see a fair number of Duke fans travel down for the game. We wouldn't bring in as many fans as -- for example -- Clemson or UNC, but it would be a decent crowd, I would suspect.

It would likely take 8 wins, including an upset of Ga Tech or Miami, to get Duke to the Chick-fil-a Bowl (a fairly high profile bowl game with a large payout), but I think it is possible.

--Jason "lets just win out and go to a BCS bowl, ok?" Evans

You're absolutely right...but having it in ATL would allow the other main centers of Duke alumni to have easy travel to the game. Same if it were in any of the other centers I mentioned. We don't have a huge alumni base, but I bet you put us in a bowl game in either of those locales, and you see a ton of Duke fans showing up.

Oh yea, I agree that we should just win out and go to the Orange Bowl. I mean, getting to go back to my old stomping grounds in Miami...man. I will serve as tour guide for the DBR group! LOL

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
You're absolutely right...but having it in ATL would allow the other main centers of Duke alumni to have easy travel to the game. Same if it were in any of the other centers I mentioned. We don't have a huge alumni base, but I bet you put us in a bowl game in either of those locales, and you see a ton of Duke fans showing up.

Oh yea, I agree that we should just win out and go to the Orange Bowl. I mean, getting to go back to my old stomping grounds in Miami...man. I will serve as tour guide for the DBR group! LOL

Since Thad and the Killer V's are from Miami, it would be a great setting for a trip to a bowl game.

throatybeard
12-13-2013, 04:12 AM
How far we have come.