PDA

View Full Version : PA/video board musings

DukeCO2009
11-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I noticed tonight that we had a different PA announcer. He may well have been there for the Pfeiffer game, too, but I can't confirm that as I did not attend. In any event, I found him subpar at his best and irritating at his worst. He sounds like he's trying to imitate Michael Buffer or something. Any word on why there's a new guy? Here's hoping the old guy, who's been here as long as I can remember and is fantastic, is OK.

The volume of the video board features was also WAY too high. The Boozer, Dunleavy, etc. comments were so loud that they killed all the energy in the place. I remember hearing last season that the video board would be used tactfully, but judging by tonight it's become a distraction. Did anyone else find the volume/timing of the video features obnoxious?

airowe
11-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I noticed tonight that we had a different PA announcer. He may well have been there for the Pfeiffer game, too, but I can't confirm that as I did not attend. In any event, I found him subpar at his best and irritating at his worst. He sounds like he's trying to imitate Michael Buffer or something. Any word on why there's a new guy? Here's hoping the old guy, who's been here as long as I can remember and is fantastic, is OK.

The volume of the video board features was also WAY too high. The Boozer, Dunleavy, etc. comments were so loud that they killed all the energy in the place. I remember hearing last season that the video board would be used tactfully, but judging by tonight it's become a distraction. Did anyone else find the volume/timing of the video features obnoxious?

Actually, that is Michael Buffer!

There was really only one time I didn't like the volume of the board and that was just before the Elton Brand "Go Duke!".

Just as on the court, I'm sure adjustments will be made to the audio/video throughout the season. And, just like the product on the court, not everyone will be happy all of the time.

Lord Ash
11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I remember hearing last season that the video board would be used tactfully, but judging by tonight it's become a distraction.

Using the words "video board" and "tactfully" in the same sentence is impossible, unless you are saying the sentence "The team tactfully threw the video board in the river."

PallasAthena
11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
The long-time PA announcer for Duke basketball games is Dr. Art Chandler, an ophthalmologist who practiced and taught at Duke for many years. He is just outstanding. and an important part of the Cameron experience. I hope he is well and will be in his usual spot for the regular season games. Besides, no one can pronounce "Coca Cola" like he does! I would think our sponsor would want him there for as long as he can, well, drink Coca Cola!

The exhibition season pre-game extravaganza that has been staged this year has been truly awful. While it may have a lot to do with music the students like, it has almost nothing to do with Duke basketball. With very few season ticket holders upstairs (apparently I didn't get the memo that I was NOT supposed to buy the tickets and let those who can't attend during the season buy tickets) and this weird stuff going on downstairs with lights and a wrestling announcer, I am amused that some first-time attendees have commented on the wonderful Cameron experience they have had. Well, it may have been an experience, but it didn't have much to do with Duke basketball. Do we really need to imitate the NBA arenas? Why would we want to?

For example, with all the lowering of lights, and screaming of players names, etc., the students in the undergrad and grad sections have not had a chance to warm up with their usual cheers and antics. It seemed to me that they had been cut out of the proceedings. Once the game started, after the nonsense was over, they were not really into the game in the usual fashion because they had been watching this weird show imported from somewhere-not-Duke.

I noticed at the Findlay game that the two banks of theater spotlights had been removed from the ceiling of Cameron. (I'd love to know what all that nonsense cost.) Maybe by Friday night 11/13 things will be back to normal.

Your grumpy, old but loyal, Pallas Athena

Bluedog
11-04-2009, 10:42 AM
the students in the undergrad and grad sections have not had a chance to warm up with their usual cheers and antics.

Also note that this year they're changing the time to when students are allowed to enter the building. In the past, it was 90 minutes prior to tipoff when the first students were let in (which then took at least 30-60 minutes to get everybody in). This season, apparently, they're letting people in only 60 minutes prior to tipoff, so for games with long lines, there won't be a full student section for warmups, I expect. Not sure why they're changing it; I guess they think it will somehow encourage more people to come since before if people didn't get there 90 minutes early they (wrongly) thought it was a lost cause and wouldn't show up. So, now that "lost cause" point has been moved to 60 minutes...At least, that's my guess.

BlueDster
11-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I was at the game last night, and they didn't lower the lights or play the player's choice songs at the beginning, nor did the announcer say "Let's get ready to rumble", though he did put a little more flair than normal on the player introductions. I think most of that stuff was a one time thing (or two time if you count CTC), and I'm sure we're all glad it's not the new standard.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about the video board usage. On one hand it's nice to be able to use video tactfully and get another chance to see a great play during a break, but there definitely is a big chance of students and ticketholders alike losing their cheering intensity because they're watching videos during timeouts.

MulletMan
11-04-2009, 11:08 AM
The intros, lights, etc. were for the Blue-White and then the following weekend. That's it. They are gone and won't be back this season from what I've heard. Just a little fun and wow factor for some of the youngsters. Maybe one in particular. ;)

As far as the let in time goes, you're right... Cameron will now open 60 minutes before the game for all ticket holders, not just students. Its not some nefarious plot to make Cameron less student friendly, but instead, to help the Athletic Department save money. If you've ever been in Cameron before UNCG or a break game or whatever non-UNC, Maryland or NCSU game you care to point out, you would know that the place is like a ghost-town. For the vast majority of games less than 1000 fans total show up more than 60 minutes before the game begins. By cutting out that extra half hour of "open time" there will be less staffing, less payment to Event One for security, less power used, etc. I think a conservative estimate is that this will save in the millions of dollars range. Very little will be effected by the decision, and I think that this route to save money is more agreeable than raising ticket prices, charging students or increasing concessions drastically to allow for entry into Cameron 90 minutes before the game.

Battierfan01
11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I think the "old school" style of Cameron is what makes it a special place. I actually made the comment at the Blue-White game that I didn't like some of the changes to Cameron as I thought it takes away from the historical look and feel. I have some mixed feelings about the new video board in front of media row. I really liked when it was not a video board and just said DUKE UNIVERSITY. I also noticed the new PA guy and thought that not having Dr. Chandler took away from the Cameron experience. On a positive note I LOVE the new blue seats upstairs!!

Indoor66
11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I think the "old school" style of Cameron is what makes it a special place. I actually made the comment at the Blue-White game that I didn't like some of the changes to Cameron as I thought it takes away from the historical look and feel. I have some mixed feelings about the new video board in front of media row. I really liked when it was not a video board and just said DUKE UNIVERSITY. I also noticed the new PA guy and thought that not having Dr. Chandler took away from the Cameron experience. On a positive note I LOVE the new blue seats upstairs!!

Bling does not make better. ;)

DukeCO2009
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way--I was feeling rather crotchety for a 23-year-old. ;)

Does anyone know what the deal is with Dr. Chandler's absence? He's truly the best of the best, and Cameron feels different without him. The new guy just didn't do things correctly. Art, get well soon if you're sick and come back soon if you're on vacation.

Battierfan01
11-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way--I was feeling rather crotchety for a 23-year-old. ;)

Does anyone know what the deal is with Dr. Chandler's absence? He's truly the best of the best, and Cameron feels different without him. The new guy just didn't do things correctly. Art, get well soon if you're sick and come back soon if you're on vacation.

Yes I hope that someone has some information on Dr. Chandler. I truly hope that he is ok and is coming back. Does anyone know if the new guy was just for CTC and the exhibition games??

airowe
11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes I hope that someone has some information on Dr. Chandler. I truly hope that he is ok and is coming back. Does anyone know if the new guy was just for CTC and the exhibition games??

According to a recent David Gleen tweet to Dave Telep, Dr. Chandler has retired. The new guy's name is Drew Smith.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Battierfan01
11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
According to a recent David Gleen tweet to Dave Telep, Dr. Chandler has retired. The new guy's name is Drew Smith.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Well that just STINKS!!:(

DukeCO2009
11-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Can anyone confirm/deny?

If true, this is terrible, terrible news. Smith is, quite frankly, horrible. He sounds cheesy, generic, and is late on calls because he doesn't know the names of our players. This kills me. A guy like Dr. Chandler going out without so much as a whimper? Cameron needs to honor him somehow--he was as good as they come.

Indoor66
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
If true, this is terrible, terrible news. Smith is, quite frankly, horrible. He sounds cheesy, generic, and is late on calls because he doesn't know the names of our players. This kills me. A guy like Dr. Chandler going out without so much as a whimper? Cameron needs to honor him somehow--he was as good as they come.

Art is close to 75+ now. I can understand him retiring. He graduated from Medical school at Duke in 1959.

Battierfan01
11-04-2009, 01:02 PM

I really hope that Duke will do something to honor Dr. Chandler. He is a true legend at Cameron and will be greatly missed.

Indoor66
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I really hope that Duke will do something to honor Dr. Chandler. He is a true legend at Cameron and will be greatly missed.

I agree with you. I hope they find a suitable way to honor him. The hall of fame would be appropriate.

The passing of the torch is always painful remberance for those who enjoyed their tenure. I miss the man from Cherryville (trainer Max Crowder) every time I watch a game and not seeing Frank Basset on the sideline is always a little sad. I will miss the melodious "Here comes Duke" from Art Chandler.

Battierfan01
11-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I agree with you. I hope they find a suitable way to honor him. The hall of fame would be appropriate.

The passing of the torch is always painful remberance for those who enjoyed their tenure. I miss the man from Cherryville (trainer Max Crowder) every time I watch a game and not seeing Frank Basset on the sideline is always a little sad. I will miss the melodious "Here comes Duke" from Art Chandler.

Yes the "Here Comes Duke" from Dr. Chandler always got my blood pumping every time I heard it.

DukeCO2009
11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Yes the "Here Comes Duke" from Dr. Chandler always got my blood pumping every time I heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8pZbF6NwA

devil84
11-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I was also taken aback a bit by last night's videos. Students and upstairs fans alike were taken out of their rhythm to watch the videos.

The one bright spot was when the pep band drummers started the Let's Go Duke cheer just at the end of one of the videos. One of the problems I've seen over the years is that a great play that gets everyone upstairs on their feet right before a timeout usually can't sustain the enthusiasm through the timeout into the following play. The upstairs tends to sit down during the timeout. Perhaps the videos, if timed properly and with the pep band's drummers setting the next cheer, it might -- just maybe -- get the upstairs back into the cheering. Maybe. (Not at an exhibition game, though.)

msdukie
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
From Duke Blue Planet:

“Famous sports announcer Michael Buffer provided our team introductions at Countdown to Craziness and his recordings will be used to introduce our starters throughout the year in Cameron. “ (emphasis added).

More from Buffer in the article:

“I am also keeping my fingers crossed that there is no big fight on Saturday, March 6th so that I will be able to come in and do the introductions live for the game of the year (Duke vs. UNC)!”

Sigh.

As an ancient 34 year-old Cameron purist, this is terrible.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
From Duke Blue Planet:

“Famous sports announcer Michael Buffer provided our team introductions at Countdown to Craziness and his recordings will be used to introduce our starters throughout the year in Cameron. “ (emphasis added).

“I am also keeping my fingers crossed that there is no big fight on Saturday, March 6th so that I will be able to come in and do the introductions live for the game of the year (Duke vs. UNC)!”

Sigh.

I agree 100%. I think a letter/email writing campaign to AD Dr. Kevin White and Iron Duke director Eric Beatty may be in order.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2009, 05:38 PM
From Duke Blue Planet:

Sigh.

Recorded introductions? What a waste of money and technology! Having a "famous" announcer means nothing in Cameron unless he or she has some sort of history with Duke. This news makes me think of the way we students used to greet opposing players during the golden Bubas days: Who's he? :eek:

Lord Ash
11-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Buffer? Ugh. Commence letter writing... now!

LanceChef
11-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Glad to see that I'm not alone in the dislike of these changes.

For all of the focus on rebuilding the past aggression in Cameron, all of the changes thus far have only hurt this. I'll echo all of the sentiments described here so far, especially the delayed entry time. Over the past 5 seasons, the best time for heckling or random stunts has unequivocally been the first 30 minutes of warm ups. Combined with the lack of visiting team rosters (the best part of the cheer sheets), expansion of EventOne, and poor mixing job with the time-out videos, it certainly feels different in there for these first two games, even compared to previous exhibitions. I expect at least one crowd explosion, perhaps from a monster Mason dunk, stifled by a time out video or a PA reference to Greg Zoubek before the year is out.

I'll reserve final judgement for later in the season and will assume that these changes were necessary for financial and recruiting purposes. However, if blue tye-dye shirts show up on seats anywhere in the lower section, I can't imagine old Cameron (and the 4- to 5-figure season ticket prices) surviving the new "excitement".

msdukie
11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Have we confirmed that the great iconic Dr. Art Chandler has indeed retired?

I was at the Pfieffer game and I'm pretty sure that he was doing the PA work (I think I would have noticed otherwise, since he is one of my favorite parts of the building (I always wanted him to do women's games too)).

When watching on Inside Access last night, I was fairly certain that I saw him at the scorer's table, though it was obvious that Buffer had again done the intros.

Also, in addition to Buffer, I read somewhere last week (don't recall the source) that the light display could come back on occassion during the regular season (though it could not be done often as it takes a long time for the lights to turn on). I don't want to see the lights or the staging that blocks the scoreboards and banners ever again.

What next, we play Jump Around at tipoff?? :eek:

Indoor66
11-04-2009, 06:41 PM

I was at the Pfieffer game and I'm pretty sure that he was doing the PA work (I think I would have noticed otherwise, since he is one of my favorite parts of the building (I always wanted him to do women's games too)).

When watching on Inside Access last night, I was fairly certain that I saw him at the scorer's table, though it was obvious that Buffer had again done the intros.

Also, in addition to Buffer, I read somewhere last week (don't recall the source) that the light display could come back on occassion during the regular season (though it could not be done often as it takes a long time for the lights to turn on). I don't want to see the lights or the staging that blocks the scoreboards and banners ever again.

What next, we play Jump Around at tipoff?? :eek:

I have never heard of Buffer and cannot find anything on google. Who is this guy?

airowe
11-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I have never heard of Buffer and cannot find anything on google. Who is this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvufFwdqMzg

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2009/11/ready-to-rumble/

Lord Ash
11-04-2009, 06:50 PM

*squints and does his best to detect sarcasm*

airowe
11-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Alright, I just found out that the new guys are just "tryouts". Dr. Chandler wants to retire after next year as this is his 40th year but he will be working the PA this year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Alright, I just found out that the new guys are just "tryouts". Dr. Chandler wants to retire after next year as this is his 40th year but he will be working the PA this year.

Could this be an opportunity for Matthew Laurence?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Ooooh! Me! Me! Me!

jlear
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I love the new press table and I don't mind the recorded intros. If the players like it then it is good enough for me. I also like the new scoreboard and the videos played before the game. I think these things enhance the experience and do not hurt with recruits.

I do agree that the videos played during timeouts should go away or be played without sound.

It will be nice to see the football team in Cameron for the home opener sporting the victory bell after their big win on Saturday.

GTHC GTH

Genedoc
11-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Glad to see that I'm not alone in the dislike of these changes.

For all of the focus on rebuilding the past aggression in Cameron, all of the changes thus far have only hurt this. I'll echo all of the sentiments described here so far, especially the delayed entry time. Over the past 5 seasons, the best time for heckling or random stunts has unequivocally been the first 30 minutes of warm ups. Combined with the lack of visiting team rosters (the best part of the cheer sheets), expansion of EventOne, and poor mixing job with the time-out videos, it certainly feels different in there for these first two games, even compared to previous exhibitions. I expect at least one crowd explosion, perhaps from a monster Mason dunk, stifled by a time out video or a PA reference to Greg Zoubek before the year is out.

I'll reserve final judgement for later in the season and will assume that these changes were necessary for financial and recruiting purposes. However, if blue tye-dye shirts show up on seats anywhere in the lower section, I can't imagine old Cameron (and the 4- to 5-figure season ticket prices) surviving the new "excitement".

I very seriously think the Michael Buffer fiasco is the first or second brick in the wall to a huge new stadium I thought would never be built. And make no bones about it, it's absolutely awful having to listen to "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLES

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PPplumlee

every game.

It reminds me of the old adage where a businessman sees a beautiful woman and asks her if she'll sleep with him for $10M dollars. She replies in the affirmative, and he follows up with "Well, then will you sleep with me for $1?", to which she replies "What do you think I am, a tramp?". His final words are about how I feel about Cameron right now. He says "We've already established you're a tramp, now we're just arguing about the final price".

mehmattski
11-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Count me as one of the folks completely disgusted by the wrestling man introductions. It did not get me pumped at all, and the canned intros were stepping on the crowd. This is one of the reasons I dislike the NBA, and I am sad that the antics have come to Cameron. If it's true that Buffer's intros will continue throughout the season, that is a big big shame.

I will miss most of all, Dr. Chandler's coach K intro: "And the head coach, Mister Mikeshuseski!"

Sixthman
11-05-2009, 08:51 AM
It's as if they are throwing what makes Cameron special out with the bath water and replacing it with a carnival barker (trying to trick you into being excited about the mundane). The feel of the announcing/programming -- and not just Buffer -- is artificial. It is as if the people doing the programming don't get Cameron or what makes it special. It is tragic, and I join others on this thread in hoping it is temporary experiment soon to be recognized as a bad idea. We need "just the facts" annoucing because Duke basketball, the Crazies, and Cameron are all special -- and stand on their own.

Battierfan01
11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Hey maybe we could record Dr. Chandler's voice for the player and coach introductions. He sure beats Buffer. The intros at CTC felt way too much like a NBA game. Duke doesnt need a pregame show of this type. The real show comes after Tip-Off!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Are any of you contacting Dr. Kevin White about your concerns regarding Dr. Chandler's replacement?

DukeCO2009
11-05-2009, 12:05 PM
So Dr. Chandler will be doing the regular season games this season, after all?

Will Buffer be doing the "here comes Duke" part in addition to the player intros?

How many more of these "tryout" PA announcers do we have to listen to?

Also, who can I e-mail/call/write about the Buffer situation?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
So Dr. Chandler will be doing the regular season games this season, after all?

Will Buffer be doing the "here comes Duke" part in addition to the player intros?

How many more of these "tryout" PA announcers do we have to listen to?

Also, who can I e-mail/call/write about the Buffer situation?

Dr. Kevin White, AD, Duke University

jseelke
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I was a bit saddened to read that Michael Buffer was doing the announcing for the season. While on one hand, it is unique, on the other hand, it seems to be another means where something new has to be added to Cameron in order to raise the crowd level. Even Coach K noted that there wasn't a need for cheer sheets. Where has the Cameron mystique gone?

El_Diablo
11-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I was a bit saddened to read that Michael Buffer was doing the announcing for the season. While on one hand, it is unique, on the other hand, it seems to be another means where something new has to be added to Cameron in order to raise the crowd level. Even Coach K noted that there wasn't a need for cheer sheets. Where has the Cameron mystique gone?

He's just doing the intros for our five starters...not the whole game.

DukeCO2009
11-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Dr. Chandler announced the lineups last night! Thanks to everyone who contacted the athletic department about the Buffer atrocity, as our voices were obviously heard.

Battierfan01
11-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Dr. Chandler announced the lineups last night! Thanks to everyone who contacted the athletic department about the Buffer atrocity, as our voices were obviously heard.

Wow this is great news. I am glad to have Dr. Chandler back in this role. :)