PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of Dukies who transferred

FireOgilvie
11-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I thought there should be a thread for news about Elliot Williams, Taylor King, and other Duke transfers just to see how what they are doing, so here it is.

Elliot had 24 points (8-12 shooting) to lead the Memphis team against LeMoyne-Owens in an exhibition today. He also had 6 assists and 6 rebounds.

Taylor King had 18 points and 4 rebounds in the Villanova Blue/White scrimmage a week and a half ago. I don't think they played a full 40 minutes. He was the 2nd leading scorer.

dukeballer2294
11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
really going to miss EWill, best of luck to him and his mom

sivartrenrag
11-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Man, it'd be great to have E-Will in Durham this year. Great kid, great player. Really glad to see him getting off to a good start and I hope he has a great season.

Jim3k
11-04-2009, 02:24 AM
I thought there should be a thread for news about Elliot Williams, Taylor King, and other Duke transfers just to see how what they are doing, so here it is.

Elliot had 24 points (8-12 shooting) to lead the Memphis team against LeMoyne-Owens in an exhibition today. He also had 6 assists and 6 rebounds.

Taylor King had 18 points and 4 rebounds in the Villanova Blue/White scrimmage a week and a half ago. I don't think they played a full 40 minutes. He was the 2nd leading scorer.

Would that include Jamal Boykin at Cal? Eric Boateng at Arizona State?

DevilAlumna
11-04-2009, 02:26 AM
Am I the only person who saw the title of this thread and thought, "Oh no, who's getting ready to leave?" Please, no more pre-season heart attacks. Nolan not starting tonight was bad enough. ;) :D

hc5duke
11-04-2009, 02:41 AM

Really? There's more than one school named LeMoyne that played today?

FireOgilvie
11-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Would that include Jamal Boykin at Cal? Eric Boateng at Arizona State?

Yes, but neither one of them has played a game yet that I could find information on.

Really? There's more than one school named LeMoyne that played today?

Yes, apparently LeMoyne-Owen is in Memphis and Le Moyne is in Syracuse. It would have been better if both LeMoynes had won...

brevity
11-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Am I the only person who saw the title of this thread and thought, "Oh no, who's getting ready to leave?"

It was my immediate thought as well. "Transfer Watch" sounds like "Death Watch". I clicked on this thread just to see what else it could possibly mean.

Not a bad idea for a thread, but if we plan on updating it all season, the mods should rename it to something more specific. Like "Former Duke Players at Other Schools, 09-10".

(Of course, I think so many threads should be renamed. Starting a thread with a name like "Today's DBR Front Page" shows an embarrassing lack of foresight. Put a date on it, or use DBR's headline for that front page article, or something.)

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Am I the only person who saw the title of this thread and thought, "Oh no, who's getting ready to leave?" Please, no more pre-season heart attacks. Nolan not starting tonight was bad enough. ;) :D

hahaha my first though was NOT AGAIN WHO COULD IT BE.

JasonEvans
11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
By popular request-- the thread has been renamed.

-Jason "your wish is mod command" Evans

Battierfan01
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
hahaha my first though was NOT AGAIN WHO COULD IT BE.

My thoughts exactly. I am glad that this thread has a different meaning. :)

CEF1959
11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I feel a little sorry for Eric Boateng. He went from being a promising freshman who needed to wait his turn to a 6-10, 260 lb. guy at ASU averaging about 10 minutes and 2 points a game.

Bill McCaffrey transferred to Vandy after a very successful season at Duke, and the rumor was he wanted to play in the pros and was worried about his PT at Duke. He ended up being a star at Vandy and winning co-SEC POTY honors with Jamal Mashburne. But then it was the European circuit and coaching gigs that didn't really pan out. I never really thought that move made sense.

I like Taylor King and wish him well at 'Nova. Same with EW at Memphis.

Have there been any transfers from Duke where it really turned out to be a good move in terms of basketball? Where they blossomed outside the orbit of Coach K and got more PT than they would have at Duke? Of course, there are a lot of reasons one might transfer other than basketball (EW's situation being a perfect case in point).

Jim3k
11-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Have there been any transfers from Duke where it really turned out to be a good move in terms of basketball? Where they blossomed outside the orbit of Coach K and got more PT than they would have at Duke? Of course, there are a lot of reasons one might transfer other than basketball (EW's situation being a perfect case in point).

Jamal Boykin may fall in that category. He's gotten more PT as he's gotten older. He's now a 5th year senior. Monty seems to like what he does. Even so, he has to continue to earn it. I don't think anyone thought he'd ever be a star, but most thought he'd eventually be a starter. I think that's panning out for him as a senior. At Duke, given the current crop of trees, I think he'd get beaten out of any starting assignment. Could possibly have been used like McClure was last year. So if PT is the metric, then Cal is a better place for him.

pfrduke
11-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I feel a little sorry for Eric Boateng. He went from being a promising freshman who needed to wait his turn to a 6-10, 260 lb. guy at ASU averaging about 10 minutes and 2 points a game.

Bill McCaffrey transferred to Vandy after a very successful season at Duke, and the rumor was he wanted to play in the pros and was worried about his PT at Duke. He ended up being a star at Vandy and winning co-SEC POTY honors with Jamal Mashburne. But then it was the European circuit and coaching gigs that didn't really pan out. I never really thought that move made sense.

I like Taylor King and wish him well at 'Nova. Same with EW at Memphis.

Mike Chappell?

Bob Green
11-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Have there been any transfers from Duke where it really turned out to be a good move in terms of basketball? Where they blossomed outside the orbit of Coach K and got more PT than they would have at Duke?

Mike Chappell?

Chappell and McCaffrey are the only two transfers who I can remember achieving success elsewhere.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-04-2009, 09:12 PM
IIRC, under K no player who has transferred out has played in the NBA and no player who has transferred in has failed to play in the NBA. I assume Elliot will change that, but it's still fair warning to folks smitten by "grass is greener" expectations. More often than not K knows who should be playing and who isn't ready.

All that said, I'm definitely cheering for Email to have great success at every level and glad to see him breaking out already.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Chappell and McCaffrey are the only two transfers who I can remember achieving success elsewhere.

Christian Ast was integral at American from what I remember. I think they made the NCAAs his senior year.

Joey Beard? I don't know much about him after Duke. He went to BU, right?

BD80
11-04-2009, 09:36 PM

Burgess did fairly well. Chapell did not do that well, never could hold on to a starting role.

77devil
11-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Burgess did fairly well. Chapell did not do that well, never could hold on to a starting role.

Burgess never did much if IIRC. Chappell, on the other hand, played in every game and averaged about 15 minutes on the national championship team.

I'm frankly apathetic about this thread, however. I don't really care much about players who leave.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2009, 09:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_Palmer

Can't feel bad about a guy who transfers to an Ivy. Not sure what he did in college his last year but looks like he had some success afterwards.

Duke79UNLV77
11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
And he already was that at Duke. He went to Vandy because he wasn't going to play any PG at Duke with a certain Bart Simpson lookalike from Jersey around.

Boykin has been pretty good, but I think he was on his way to contributing at Duke as well. I think his transfer also wasn't just about playing time but related to some family health issues.

Incidentally, I guarded McCafffrey in one game of pick-up ball at Vandy when I was in law school. He seemed like a very nice, humble guy. I recall playing a step off when he was at the top of the key like you usually do in pickup ball until someone proves he can hit from there. After he drilled the shot, I had to question myself seriously for making the SEC POY prove he could hit from 3.

jimsumner
11-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Most of the players who left Duke left because they wanted to play more. It's a natural inclination.

And most of them got that wish granted. Greg Wendt (Detroit), Bill Jackman (Nebraska), Crawford Palmer (Dartmouth), Christian Ast (American), Joey Beard (Boston), Chris Burgess (Utah), and Andre Sweet (Seton Hall) all qualify. None were likely to have played as much at Duke as they did at their new schools.

Michael Thompson had some moments at Northwestern but a combination of medical and other issues ended his career prematurely.

The most curious case IMO, was that of Mike Chappell. A classmate of Chris Carrawell and Nate James, Chappell appeared to be the most talented member of his class at Duke. But he seemed to lack inner fire and dropped out of the rotation late in the 1998 season. He transferred to Michigan State and was a reserve, albeit a reserve on the 2000 NCAA title team. Still, I remember the promise shown by Chappell early in his Duke career and wonder where it all went wrong.

But McCaffrey is the one guy who absolutely became a star in a power conference. I really wish he would have stayed. Imagine him redshirting in 1992 and playing through 1994.

jipops
11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Most of the players who left Duke left because they wanted to play more. It's a natural inclination.

And most of them got that wish granted. Greg Wendt (Detroit), Bill Jackman (Nebraska), Crawford Palmer (Dartmouth), Christian Ast (American), Joey Beard (Boston), Chris Burgess (Utah), and Andre Sweet (Seton Hall) all qualify. None were likely to have played as much at Duke as they did at their new schools.

Michael Thompson had some moments at Northwestern but a combination of medical and other issues ended his career prematurely.

The most curious case IMO, was that of Mike Chappell. A classmate of Chris Carrawell and Nate James, Chappell appeared to be the most talented member of his class at Duke. But he seemed to lack inner fire and dropped out of the rotation late in the 1998 season. He transferred to Michigan State and was a reserve, albeit a reserve on the 2000 NCAA title team. Still, I remember the promise shown by Chappell early in his Duke career and wonder where it all went wrong.

But McCaffrey is the one guy who absolutely became a star in a power conference. I really wish he would have stayed. Imagine him redshirting in 1992 and playing through 1994.

I believe McCaffery ended up being co-SEC player of the year with Jamal Mashburn. He sure wasn't bad while he was at Duke. He scored 16 in the '91 title game. But I think Billy saw himself battling Thomas Hill for playing time at the other guard position, who was a superior defender, and he certainly wasn't going to take the pg position away from Hurley.

jimsumner
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Remember Billy's older brother Ed was a high NFL draft pick, 3rd round in
1991, right around the time of that Final Four. The family became quite entranced by the idea of Billy duplicating that in another sport. All realized that his NBA aspirations lay at the point and he wasn't going to beat out the Duke incumbent at that position.

My understanding is that he was offered the opportunity of redshirting in
1992, thus giving him the opportunity to start at the point as a fifth-year senior in 1994. Given how that team did without McCaffrey, it doesn't take a big leap of faith to see another ring.

Still, he got a chance to play a big role in the SEC and got a degree from Vanderbilt. So, it's not like we can rationally question his decision. But the might-have-beens-are pretty intriguing.

Ohiobobcat204
11-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Athough i competely support his reasoning, wow am i still hurting from that Ewill transfer. I absolutely loved the kid. He had sick athletisism and looked really promising as a defender. I think had he stayed wed be talking elite 8, thats how good he is. I predict big things from him in the future. As for TK, well, he could shoot. The only thing was, he knew he could shoot and had no quams about throwing it up from anywhere. I think he will be a good asset to Nova.
Boykin actually led the team in rebounding last year i believe. Definitely not a star, but the guy plays hard and fights inside. I dont think he would have fit into a role on this years duke team, but the transfer to Cal seems to be working out great for him.
Eric was a sad story, i thought the guy would help us down the road after some developement. I mean talk about a big body, i dont think hes doing much at ASU though so perhaps the transfer was for the best.
Speaking of transfers, im DYING to see Seth Curry lace up for us next year.

JaMarcus Russell
11-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Jim, what was the deal with Michael Thompson? I believe he came to Duke as McDonald's All-American, but he didn't do much his first 3 semesters here so he transferred to Northwestern. I believe he averaged about 11 points and 6 boards in his first year with the Wildcats and then I never saw his name on ESPN.com again. :confused:

1999ballboy
11-05-2009, 03:00 AM
We were extremely deep with big men the year Thompson came. He was playing behind Shelden, Shav, Casey Sanders, and Nick Horvath. Even though Sanders graduated after Thompson's freshman year, it was pretty clear that he was never going to be a marquee guy, which is understandable reasoning from his point of view given that he was a McDonald's AA. It was still painful for us though. I remember in the 2003 Sweet Sixteen game when Nick Collison completely dominated us, Thompson played a few minutes of D on him that were probably the best minutes of D we played on him as a team that game. And I still say that if we had had him in '04 it could have been the difference in the Connecticut game. That was the game when all of our bigs fouled out, remember.

Ohiobobcat204
11-05-2009, 04:25 AM
That game against Collison still brings up nightmares, second only to the Indiana game when boozer and Jay were here..:(

pfrduke
11-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Jim, what was the deal with Michael Thompson? I believe he came to Duke as McDonald's All-American, but he didn't do much his first 3 semesters here so he transferred to Northwestern. I believe he averaged about 11 points and 6 boards in his first year with the Wildcats and then I never saw his name on ESPN.com again. :confused:

Thompson developed a heart condition and could no longer play.

jimsumner
11-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Thompson was told he would likely have to wait a year or two to get meaningful PT. He was fine with that.

He came to Duke and discovered he would have to wait a year or two to get meaningful PT. Suddenly, he wasn't fine with it. A healthy Thompson could have been a real asset to a size-challenged Duke team in 2005 and 2006.

Thompson played one minute against Kansas in '03 and committed two fouls. He did have a couple of good minutes earlier in the tournament against Chris Kaman and Central Michigan.

He did develop a heart problem at Northwestern. But there were other issues.

EW and Elite Eight? I think Elite Eight is realistic this year without EW. But he would have been a difference maker. Imagine him as a sixth man capable of coming off the bench and filling in at any one of the three perimeter positions.

At least EW will get rid of that no-Duke-transfer-has-ever-played-in-the-NBA line, which has always seemed misleading and mean-spirited to me.

BD80
11-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Nice start for Taylor:

Former Duke forward Taylor King had 17 points and was 4-for-4 from beyond the arc (in 21 minutes) in exhibition tonight vs. Kutztown.
http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

Jim3k
11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Nice start for Taylor:

Quote:
Former Duke forward Taylor King had 17 points and was 4-for-4 from beyond the arc (in 21 minutes) in exhibition tonight vs. Kutztown.

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox

That Kutztown defense was dynamite, too. King was shooting through quick hands and bumping defenders, twisting and turning as he got his shots off...wait...no -- he wasn't being defended by top quality players -- my mistake... Kutztown is Div. II

King did the same in the beginning of his freshman year, when the defense wasn't strong. But against good defenders, when he had to get his shot off quickly, he didn't hit those treys.

Let's wait until he goes off against a BE, B10 or ACC team, then we'll decide if he has improved. A year off. Two years older. Maybe he's better. We'll see.

DevilAlumna
11-06-2009, 12:02 AM

Not to argue with someone with much greater Duke history knowledge than I can ever hope to attain, but Bill Jackman, from this Nebraskan's point of view, didn't leave Duke for more playing time. He went home, iirc, because his dad had either passed away or was very ill, and he wanted to be closer to his mom, the family farm and his siblings.

Jackman was a Nebraska fan favorite - just an all around good guy, great teammate. He was on the all-conference academic list one year too.

Edouble
11-06-2009, 01:31 AM

Yeah, I heard talk around campus that he just had no interest in being "the man". Like he had Terrence Morris syndrome or something. Weird.

UrinalCake
11-06-2009, 05:26 AM
I remember his very first game, a preseason exhibition. Within the first couple minutes he threw down a nasty dunk right in someone's face. We all went bananas thinking this guy was going to be amazing.

The only transfer that I really dislike was Chris Burgiss; everyone else had their reasons for leaving and I'm fine with that. Burgiss pretty much trashed Coach K and the program on his way out the door, and his father was publically vocal in his criticisms as well. While the rest of his career was solid, it certainly did nothing to back up his claims of how good he was.

jimsumner
11-06-2009, 09:35 AM
DevilAlumna is right that Jackman's transfer was prompted by a number of factors. Jackman was from a small town in Nebraska and I think Duke just overwhelmed him. He started early in his freshman season but gradually lost PT to classmates Mark Alarie and Jay Bilas, then David Henderson, then Weldon Williams. Being a long way from home is one thing, being buried on the bench a long way from home is something else entirely.

I do believe a family illness played a factor, so thanks on that.

It's interesting how many Duke transfers have gone to a school much closer to home; Jackman, Wendt, Chappell, Burgess, Sweet, Thompson, Boykin, Williams.

Family illness also factored into Boykin and Williams.

Still, the overwhelming majority of transfers went to schools that offered them more PT than they were likely to get at Duke. So I don't think we can dismiss this as a factor.

PaIronDuke
11-06-2009, 02:46 PM
We have season tickets to Villanova games, and several purported Villanova "insiders" have told me that the primary reasons that Taylor King chose Villanova were that he was recruited by Villanova at one time and that his uncle is Whitey Rigsby, one of the best-known former Villanova players and currently radio analyst and head of the basketball booster group.

Taylor had a very good game last night in Villanoa's lone exhibition game against Kutztown (Division II)......

Johnboy
11-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Remember Billy's older brother Ed was a high NFL draft pick, 3rd round in
1991, right around the time of that Final Four.

Ed McCaffrey married Lisa Sime, daughter of Dave Sime (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1023346/index.htm), a Duke graduate (my Dad's teammate on the track team) who was at one time the fastest man alive - the world record holder in the 100 meter dash. Ed and Lisa met at Stanford (as stated in the link). A tenuous connection at best but kinda neat.

DukieInBrasil
11-06-2009, 06:50 PM
If getting more PT is the metric, Michael Thompson (to Nortwestern) might be considered a success, albeit for one year. He played a lot of minutes for them for a year and then couldnīt play anymore.

JaMarcus Russell
11-06-2009, 07:58 PM
FWIW, I searched Michael Thompson on Google, and it looks like he is doing pretty well for himself even though basketball didn't really pan out. Since graduating from Northwestern, he has been working in the financial industry and says he will be applying to MBA programs next year. And it is definitely him, unless there is another former varsity player by the same name who happened to transfer from Duke :D

FireOgilvie
11-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Boykin is playing right now for Cal against Murray State on ESPNU. He just made a nice move to the basket and a power dunk. I think he'd probably give Lance a run for his money for PT if he was still at Duke. He averaged 9 and 6 at Cal last year.

On second thought, I think Boykin is a fifth year senior at Cal, so he would have graduated last year if he would have stayed. Oh, how time flies.

juise
11-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Boykin is playing right now for Cal against Murray State on ESPNU. He just made a nice move to the basket and a power dunk. I think he'd probably give Lance a run for his money for PT if he was still at Duke. He averaged 9 and 6 at Cal last year.

On second thought, I think Boykin is a fifth year senior at Cal, so he would have graduated last year if he would have stayed. Oh, how time flies.

He finished with 12 points (5-8 FG, 2-4 FT) and 5 boards. It seems like he had a stronger start to the game. The first time I checked on him (halftime, I think), he had 8 points (4-5 FG) and 4 boards. I also noticed that he missed a couple free throws late, which may have helped Murray State make it close. I'm glad that Jamal was able to find a good situation for himself at Cal. However, I think it's clear that his transfer left a much smaller than Elliot's.

juise
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Taylor King's first real game with 'Nova (23-point win vs. Fairleigh Dickinson):
9 points (3-7 FG, 1-3 3pt, 2-2 FT) , 7 boards, 1 assist, 1 block in 20 minutes off the bench

FireOgilvie
11-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Elliot had 19 to start the season for Memphis (5-11 fg). He has been their leading scorer in every game for them so far (including preseason).

Memphis plays #1 Kansas on Tuesday on ESPN (10 pm). Should be interesting to watch.

duke09hms
11-14-2009, 09:00 PM
So great to see Elliott doing well! He was one of my favorite players last year with his athleticism and effort. His presence is sorely missed on this year's squad . . . sigh.

Thank God for Kyrie committing, he was the lone bright spot in an otherwise dismal offseason (G, John Wall, Elliott, Mason, HB)

BobbyFan
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Eric Boateng had 9 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks yesterday for Arizona St. in a rout over Western Illinois.

jimsumner
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
"Thank God for Kyrie committing, he was the lone bright spot in an otherwise dismal offseason (G, John Wall, Elliott, Mason, HB) "

Add Seth Curry to the bright-spot-list.

COYS
11-14-2009, 09:53 PM
"Thank God for Kyrie committing, he was the lone bright spot in an otherwise dismal offseason (G, John Wall, Elliott, Mason, HB) "

Yes, amazing how Curry is being forgotten. I know he can't play this year, but I would be willing to bet a lot of money we will be VERY glad he's in Duke Blue one year from now.

Newton_14
11-14-2009, 10:05 PM

Not to mention all of our guys having great summers..

Nolan vastly improved...

Jon stronger and improved...

Singler transformed into a superstar wing guard....

Miles got stronger, gained confidence, and improved

Olek improved..

Andre Dawkins comes in a year early to give us a desperately needed 3rd guard, and has already shown that his stroke is as good as advertised...

Kelly coming in and showing promise...

and finally Mason wowing everyone with a great skillset for a 6'10 guy, and being predicted by Jason Williams no less to be the next Duke star..

yeah, but outside of that it was a horrible summer..

Jim3k
11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
On Friday night, I had reason to attend the University of San Francisco opener against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Not exactly a premium game, but an enjoyable college atmosphere in a small gym.

In the stands behind me were about 6 very tall young men wearing grey jackets which said 'Cal Berkeley' on their chests. And I was told that the Cal players are friends with one of the USF Dons. After the game they were standing in the lobby and I asked one if Jamal Boykin was with them. I don't really know him by sight.

Anyway they pointed him out (he wasn't wearing that team windbreaker) and I approached him, introduced myself as a Duke grad and thanked him for the time he had given us. He went from puzzled (who is that old geezer?) to a really bright, genuine smile. He was very polite and and gracious. A really good kid.

It was kind of fun.

And the Dons won easily against a very poor shooting Cal Poly group. They couldn't hit a shot for the first 12 minutes and were down 14-0, a hole they couldn't get out of. The Dons don't seem all that good either, because their defense was not shutting the Mustangs down; they were simply the gang that couldn't shoot straight,

juise
11-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Taylor King's second game with 'Nova (103-65 win vs. Penn):
14 points (5-7 FG, 2-3 3pt, 2-2 FT) , 7 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal in 23 minutes off the bench. Interestingly enough, he had the exact same number of shots (to the FG/3pt/FT), boards, and assists... he was just more efficient this time.

Bob Green
11-17-2009, 04:15 AM
Eric Boateng scored a career high 14 points as Arizona State defeated Texas State 84-62:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=293200009

The Sun Devils and Blue Devils will face each other in the NIT Season Tip-Off semi-finals, at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 25, if they both win their next game. Arizona State faces TCU next.

Bostondevil
11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Crawford Palmer also transferred to be closer to home (Belmont, MA) and I think, followed his brother (Walker IIRC) at Dartmouth. There was a third brother, Asa, who was supposed to be the best player of the bunch. The local papers followed his recruiting a little bit but I don't remember what happened to him.

Palmer is the one who married a French woman and played on the French Olympic team, yes?

jimsumner
11-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Palmer was from Arlington, Virginia. But his brother Walter had attended Dartmouth, before a brief NBA stint.

Matt Christensen was from Belmont, Massachusetts.

jimsumner
11-17-2009, 02:11 PM
"Anyway they pointed him out (he wasn't wearing that team windbreaker) and I approached him, introduced myself as a Duke grad and thanked him for the time he had given us. He went from puzzled (who is that old geezer?) to a really bright, genuine smile. He was very polite and and gracious. A really good kid."

One of the reasons Duke wanted Boykin is that his intangibles were off the chart. Bright, engaging, hard-working, a team player. A natural leader.

And Duke is delighted that he is doing so well at Cal.

Lennies
11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Here are a couple videos of Taylor King with Villanova:

TK playing HORSE (http://www.ibleedblueandwhite.com/2009/10/26/video-horsing-around/) (ridiculous range, check out the *seated* shot at 4:58)

Villanova-Penn highlights (http://www.ibleedblueandwhite.com/2009/11/17/highlights-penn-gets-duked/) (check out the hustle at 1:53)

Bostondevil
11-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Palmer was from Arlington, Virginia. But his brother Walter had attended Dartmouth, before a brief NBA stint.

Matt Christensen was from Belmont, Massachusetts.

I shudder to think that I'm questioning your accuracy but, Duke came to play a game at Boston University in what would have been Crawford's senior year ('92) because, as you know, Coach K likes to schedule games near his seniors' hometowns. (The scheduling has to take place in advance, so it was scheduled before Crawford transferred. Bob Ryan wrote a very nice column about Duke at the time, something about the gods visiting the little people or some such.) Also, the local papers, the Boston Globe included, covered Asa Palmer's high school career so, I respectfully ask, are you sure?

Bostondevil
11-17-2009, 11:58 PM
I found this http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/dartmouth/asa-palmer/similar?inactive=1&team=1&state=1

So all three played at Dartmouth. Perhaps the Palmers moved from Virginia after Crawford matriculated. Or perhaps, just perhaps, dukeupdate.com is wrong on the hometown.

-jk
11-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I shudder to think that I'm questionning your accuracy but, Duke came to play a game at Boston University in what would have been Crawford's senior year ('92) because, as you know, Coach K likes to schedule games near his senior's hometowns. (The scheduling has to take place in advance, so it was scheduled before Crawford transferred. Bob Ryan wrote a very nice column about Duke at the time, something about the gods visiting the little people or some such.) Also, the local papers, the Boston Globe included covered Asa Palmer's high school career so, I respectfully ask, are you sure?

Never question The Oracle. Jim's never wrong. Or so rarely on historical facts as to not matter.

SI's Vault (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1142558/index.htm) has him from Arlington, VA.

-jk

Jim3k
11-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Never question The Oracle. Jim's never wrong. Or so rarely on historical facts as to not matter.

SI's Vault (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1142558/index.htm) has him from Arlington, VA.

-jk

As does John Roth's Duke Basketball Encyclopedia

Bostondevil
11-18-2009, 12:54 AM

-jk

I'm not exactly questioning The Oracle, but I'm not misremembering facts. Crawford Palmer's brother is indeed named Asa and his hometown is listed as Belmont and Duke did play a game in Boston in the '92 season so, something was up in the Palmer family. Perhaps they moved after Crawford matriculated at Duke. I moved to the Boston area after Crawford was at Duke myself. And Walter Palmer's middle name is Walker. Say that three times fast.

Was Crawford a prep school product? That could also explain why Massachusetts would claim him despite being listed as from Arlington, VA. T-Mac gets listed as being from Durham, doesn't he? And Danny Manning used to be listed as from Lawrence, Kansas when we all know he was really from Greensboro.

Devilsfan
11-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Elliott Williams looked like a leader over at Memphis. His Mom also looked good (healthy). Hope she's doing well.

Pernell
11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
His mother did look healthy.
And he not only looked like a leader last night he was the leader. The commentators stated the obvious, that Memphis needed Elliot to run the office and help settle them down.

Too bad he couldn't come away with the winning shot.

RepoMan
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not exactly questioning The Oracle, but I'm not misremembering facts. Crawford Palmer's brother is indeed named Asa and his hometown is listed as Belmont and Duke did play a game in Boston in the '92 season so, something was up in the Palmer family. Perhaps they moved after Crawford matriculated at Duke. I moved to the Boston area after Crawford was at Duke myself. And Walter Palmer's middle name is Walker. Say that three times fast.

Was Crawford a prep school product? That could also explain why Massachusetts would claim him despite being listed as from Arlington, VA. T-Mac gets listed as being from Durham, doesn't he? And Danny Manning used to be listed as from Lawrence, Kansas when we all know he was really from Greensboro.

I know for a fact that he played high school basketball at a public school in Arlington, VA -- Washington & Lee High School if I am not mistaken. No idea where his family lived before that.

jimsumner
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Crawford Palmer actually was born in Ithaca, New York. He played his high school basketball at Washington Lee High School in Arlington, Virginia, where he was a McDonald's and Parade All-American. Following the 1991 season, he left Duke to transfer to Dartmouth, where his older brother Walter had played prior to playing in the NBA.

I have no idea where his parents lived. But my understanding is that Dartmouth reached out to Crawford because of the success had there by Walter. Dartmouth isn't exactly in Boston. Had Palmer wanted to transfer to a school closer to Boston/Belmont, I believe he would have had some attractive options.

Following the conclusion of his college career, Palmer moved to France to play professionally. He married a French woman, obtain dual citizenship, and represented France in the 2000 Olympics and other international competition. It seems to have turned out quite nicely for Palmer.

And Matt Christensen is from Belmont. And Joey Beard transferred from Duke to Boston University.

Bostondevil
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
OK, the Palmer family moved from Virginia to Massachusetts sometime after 1989.

ice-9
11-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Elliot Williams scored 21 points and 6 rebounds against Kansas and nearly knocked off the #1 ranked team; Memphis lost by 2 points.

Eric Boateng had a monster game against TCU. He also scored 21 points on 9-11 shooting and pulled down 12 rebounds, 7 of which were offensive.

Wow. What could've been?

dukelifer
11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Elliot Williams scored 21 points and 6 rebounds against Kansas and nearly knocked off the #1 ranked team; Memphis lost by 2 points.

Eric Boateng had a monster game against TCU. He also scored 21 points on 9-11 shooting and pulled down 12 rebounds, 7 of which were offensive.

Wow. What could've been?
Boateng averaged less than 2 points per game last year and spent most of the time on the bench. That would have been his senior year at Duke had he stayed.

MHTorringjan
11-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Jamal Boykin had a good night last night, despite Syracuse running all over his team. He had 14 points on 7-12 shooting and 8 rebounds in 23 minutes and finished as second leading scorer on the team. Apparently, somebody let Jamal out (who, who, who, who)

Sorry, I just had to do it. ;-)

ice-9
11-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Boateng averaged less than 2 points per game last year and spent most of the time on the bench. That would have been his senior year at Duke had he stayed.

He played 8 minutes a game last season vs. 27 minutes this season. And in terms of active basketball seasons, this is still his fourth and really the first in which he's received major minutes.

If Sendek can develop Boateng into a 15 and 10 center, I wonder what Coach K could've done.

wva_iron_duke
11-20-2009, 01:26 PM
At South Lakes hs in Reston,VA I was fortunate enough to see Crawford Palmer play against Grant Hill. and to watch Joey Beard later. I wasn't impressed with Palmer or Beard in high school. Palmer, an excellent student, had the body but not much else by division 1 standards. Beard had a good handle and could score underneath but lacked the strength and shooting touch to excel in the ACC.
I never saw Grant's unexcelled basline game in high school because of zone defenses. All he could do was back his man down around the foul line and go up and shoot. Of course, Grant's outside shot was his weakness then. And ,of course, he was too unselfish.He often passed to lesser players on the break rather then finishing himself. Every bball in Reston was glad that he stayed locally and didn't attend a fancy prep school.

dukelifer
11-20-2009, 02:32 PM
He played 8 minutes a game last season vs. 27 minutes this season. And in terms of active basketball seasons, this is still his fourth and really the first in which he's received major minutes.

If Sendek can develop Boateng into a 15 and 10 center, I wonder what Coach K could've done.

True, he is playing more now- but Boateng wasn't just going to class in year 2 when he transferred- he was fully engaged in team practice and learning. Boateng was a project and did not have a lot of experience going into Duke and it seems like, at least right now- he is getting it or realizing his potential. There was nothing keeping him from averaging many more minutes last year- he just was not performing.

RainingThrees
11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I just saw Taylor King play for Villanova in a narrow win over Dayton. He had one very deep 3 and finished the game with 12 points on 4 3's. Seems like the same player.

roywhite
11-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Watching a little bit of tOSU vs Cal right now; just struck me how that Duke recruiting class of 2005 has scattered. Jamal Boykin is playing for Cal, Eric Boateng for Arizona State, Marty Pocious is back in Lithuania, Greg Paulus is playing QB for Syracuse, and Josh McRoberts is in the NBA via a D-League stop in Idaho.

Things often don't go as expected when it comes to evaluating an incoming recruiting class.

77devil
11-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I just saw Taylor King play for Villanova in a narrow win over Dayton. He had one very deep 3 and finished the game with 12 points on 4 3's. Seems like the same player.

Actually 14 points and 9 ribbies in 31 minutes according to the box score. Taylor is averaging more than 20 minutes a game and has the most minutes off the bench.

NovaScotian
11-22-2009, 10:16 PM

t king and hill fellow novers are up against ole miss right now. he's not shooting well at all but hustling like hell. it seems like coach wright is giving him the complete green light to shoot from wherever and however he likes. he's miss all his jumpers but still gotten some points off rebounds down low.

Newton_14
11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
t king and hill fellow novers are up against ole miss right now. he's not shooting well at all but hustling like hell. it seems like coach wright is giving him the complete green light to shoot from wherever and however he likes. he's miss all his jumpers but still gotten some points off rebounds down low.

Nova won and TK finished with 9 points and 11 rebounds. Not bad. He missed all of his 3's. It will be interesting to see what happens once they get to full strength and get into conference play where the competition stiffens.

I always liked Taylor and hated it when he transferred, but he is just the classic tweener, too slow to guard wings, and too small to guard in the post. I hope he is successful but I will not be shocked if his minutes and production go down as the year progresses.

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Strange article, it really tells me little except that he finally figured out he better do more than shoot.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10416828/King-will-play-crucial-part-in-Villanova's-season

Two quotes bothered me...

"I don't have a choice here," King said. "If I want to get on the floor, I have to guard people."

Guess what Taylor...you didn't have a choice at Duke either...but you decided to transfer instead of showing you could do it.

And from Goodman himself...

King became a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie two years ago as a freshman, but personal issues and a lack of playing time promoted a change in scenery and he left Durham.

That's "Dukie" Jeff...unless you feel like showing your true colors.

miramar
11-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm glad for TK's sake that he's beginning to figure it out, but it's unfortunate that he didn't do it while he was in Durham. I have no doubt that the Duke coaches were telling him the same thing that Wright is saying now.

This reminds of Chris Burgess, who left Duke complaining that the coaches were telling him he had to bulk up and become a banger. Needless to say, he ended up bulking up and becoming a banger once he figured out that he was not the second coming of Keith Vanhorn.

airowe
11-23-2009, 03:27 PM

I never really liked Jeff Goodman all that much, but now I really don't. He must spend some time reading message boards...

I really hope King gets his ish together. He's got a great stroke. He's also got a great smoke...

JaMarcus Russell
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it's pretty funny how that's probably the second most identifiable trait of King, after his excellent 3-point range.

Newton_14
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Strange article, it really tells me little except that he finally figured out he better do more than shoot.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10416828/King-will-play-crucial-part-in-Villanova's-season

Two quotes bothered me...

Guess what Taylor...you didn't have a choice at Duke either...but you decided to transfer instead of showing you could do it.

That was a lame move on Goodman's part by using that spelling of Dukie. Low blow.

The only good quote in that article came from Jay Wright who threw K and Staff some love..

"He can do a lot of things," Wright said. "And he's been coached. He spent a year at Duke and played at Mater Dei. You can't do much better than that."

MChambers
11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
That was a lame move on Goodman's part by using that spelling of Dukie. Low blow.

The only good quote in that article came from Jay Wright who threw K and Staff some love..

"He can do a lot of things," Wright said. "And he's been coached. He spent a year at Duke and played at Mater Dei. You can't do much better than that."

It was a nice quote, but I also liked that it pointed out that King has lost 20 pounds. Too bad he didn't do that at Duke.

airowe
11-23-2009, 04:53 PM
It was a nice quote, but I also liked that it pointed out that King has lost 20 pounds. Too bad he didn't do that at Duke.

There's no Armadillo Grill in Philly...

Kewlswim
11-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi,

Duke prides itself on a "family" atmosphere. Did the coaching staff and other players really alienate King or did King alienate himself? So, a kid does not like it here and he transfers, fine, it happens. However, to intimate that somehow he wasn't treated like family, I just don't believe it is true. Mrs. Krzyzewski has even commented on how tough it is for some kids in the program to graduate because they are treated so well. She has mentioned that both Coach K and she and the rest of the Krzyzewski's don't know how to treat kids, but well. I don't believe that anyone treated Taylor badly. Is telling a kid that to play he needs to lose weight, get in a better defensive stance, etc. being bad or mean? However, if another coach says it, from another school then somehow it is really helping a kid out? I don't think Taylor is a bad kid, but give me a break.

The other day I was in the gym making conversation with a guy who went to Penn State. Of Course Coach Paterno does nothing wrong, but Duke Coaches do. The guy said, "It is widely accepted that Krzyzewski skirts the lines and abuses his kids." Really? When does he do that? "It is done in secret." Whatever.

GO DUKE!

Exiled_Devil
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi,

The other day I was in the gym making conversation with a guy who went to Penn State. Of Course Coach Paterno does nothing wrong, but Duke Coaches do. The guy said, "It is widely accepted that Krzyzewski skirts the lines and abuses his kids." Really? When does he do that? "It is done in secret." Whatever.

GO DUKE!

Other schools' fan bases have tried that line with me, too. I call BS. Abuse like they intimate can't be kept secret. Look at Rodriguez at Michigan.

I think that this line of thought is based upon the fact that they hate Coach K and that he has been known to swear on national TV.

JaMarcus Russell
11-23-2009, 11:14 PM
It's just something opposing fans will say when they want to attack a rival coach with tangible success. According to the fans of rival teams, every coach is either stupid (Les Miles, Roy Williams, Bill Self), cruel and abusive (Nick Saban, Coach K, Rick Pitino), a cheater (John Calipari, Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jim Calhoun), a sleazy guy with the demeanor of a used car salesman (Lane Kiffin, Urban Meyer, Calipari again), or soft and unambitious (Mack Brown).

Some descriptions are obviously based more on reality than others.

mapei
11-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Mrs. Krzyzewski has even commented on how tough it is for some kids in the program to graduate because they are treated so well.

Really? Being treated badly helps students graduate?

Kewlswim
11-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Really? Being treated badly helps students graduate?

She meant, I think, that the kids don't want to leave. Being a part of the "Krzyzewski-Duke" family (for some kids) is hard to give up. I guess I didn't write it clearly enough.

GO DUKE!!

FireOgilvie
11-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Elliot put up 23 and 20 in his last two games and has been Memphis' leading scorer in every game this year. I think he's especially motivated this year with all of the family stuff he has been dealing with. I'm convinced that he will announce for the NBA after this year. He is putting himself in a great position for that to happen by averaging 20 points and almost 4 assists a game. Also, Memphis has two stud SGs coming in next year, and I'm guessing they wouldn't have been so eager to commit if they thought Memphis' best player was coming back next year. A multi-million dollar salary really helps out with medical bills...

dukelifer
11-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Elliot put up 23 and 20 in his last two games and has been Memphis' leading scorer in every game this year. I think he's especially motivated this year with all of the family stuff he has been dealing with. I'm convinced that he will announce for the NBA after this year. He is putting himself in a great position for that to happen by averaging 20 points and almost 4 assists a game. Also, Memphis has two stud SGs coming in next year, and I'm guessing they wouldn't have been so eager to commit if they thought Memphis' best player was coming back next year. A multi-million dollar salary really helps out with medical bills...

I like Elliot but he is a tweener in the NBA and that does not bode well for an early departure. He is only shooting 33% on his 3's. He needs to be a good to excellent shooter to get to the multi-million contract level.

FireOgilvie
11-28-2009, 09:04 PM
I like Elliot but he is a tweener in the NBA and that does not bode well for an early departure. He is only shooting 33% on his 3's. He needs to be a good to excellent shooter to get to the multi-million contract level.

He's never going to be a pure SG or PG, so that doesn't really affect when he comes out. Also, 33% isn't bad. His stock will never be much higher than it is now. His playing time will never be higher, and I really doubt that he'll be able to average close to 20 pts/game on a much deeper Memphis team next year. After watching him this year and last year, Elliot is 6'4" like Gerald and is quicker, jumps just as high, is a better on-ball defender, and is already a better ball-handler. He'll definitely go in the first round if he keeps playing like he is now.

dukelifer
11-28-2009, 09:58 PM
He's never going to be a pure SG or PG, so that doesn't really affect when he comes out. Also, 33% isn't bad. His stock will never be much higher than it is now. His playing time will never be higher, and I really doubt that he'll be able to average close to 20 pts/game on a much deeper Memphis team next year. After watching him this year and last year, Elliot is 6'4" like Gerald and is quicker, jumps just as high, is a better on-ball defender, and is already a better ball-handler. He'll definitely go in the first round if he keeps playing like he is now.

Well he may come out- but I am not sure he is a first rounder- at least not next year. Perhaps if they make a nice run the tourney- he will get some attention.

juise
11-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Jamal Boykin tied a career high with 22 points (on 11-14 shooting) in 30 minutes of Cal's 81-60 victory over Princeton. Jamal added 7 boards, 2 steals, and 2 assists. That's a pretty solid line even with Ivy League competition. Congrats to Jamal on a very nice performance.

HB TAYLOR
12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
12-2....Jamal Boykin 21pts 13bds....Taylor King 16pts 5bds 2stls 1bl....not bad for guys who where lost on Dukes bench! Congrats to them both!

phaedrus
12-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I never really liked Jeff Goodman all that much, but now I really don't. He must spend some time reading message boards...

I'm not judging this writer one way or the other, but I really think a significant number of people write "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie" without contemplating it as pejorative.

jv001
12-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Well he may come out- but I am not sure he is a first rounder- at least not next year. Perhaps if they make a nice run the tourney- he will get some attention.

What if he's drafted by a West Coast team. He left Duke to be near his mother who is seriously ill. Would all that money be enough to get him to come out for the draft? Go Duke!

DukeBlueDevils47
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't care how much Taylor King has worked to improve his defense and his rebounding....the kid still has terrible shot selection and thats one reason why Coach K buried him on the bench...all in all i think it was good he left.I do however wish him the best of luck at Nova. And i agree what a low blow to put "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie" in that article.

DukeBlueDevils47
12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
what i meant to say is what a low blow to put that spelling of "Dukie" in that article idk how i ended up putting im a wanker haha

juise
12-07-2009, 06:02 PM
what i meant to say is what a low blow to put that spelling of "Dukie" in that article idk how i ended up putting im a wanker haha

That's what the bulletin board software uses to substitute for any words that it deems to be offensive (like "bleeping" it out). The word you typed is considered to be an oscenity around these parts. :)

DukeBlueDevils47
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
oh i gotcha...my bad

greybeard
12-07-2009, 06:32 PM

The notion that Williams is not a "pure" point guard is whacked and permeated this board since he arrived in Durham, as did the notion that he wasn't/isn't a shooter. Complete nonsense. He was born a better ball handler than Gerald will ever be and sees the game in different terms, in the terms of a team leader, in the parlence you all seem to like, of a true point guard. As for shooting, running a team and scoring the ball will do that to your shooting percentage. Give the season time.

Billy Dat
12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I watched Taylor King play against Maryland this weekend....he looked really good. He was getting the crunch time minutes, was playing solid D, was getting some garbage, hustle baskets, etc. Looks like he's playiong 25-30 mpg off the bench.

fwin
12-08-2009, 10:02 AM

unfortunately, it's a matter of "when" rather than "if" so we should enjoy while we can......

pfrduke
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
unfortunately, it's a matter of "when" rather than "if" so we should enjoy while we can......

What in the world is this supposed to mean?

allenmurray
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
What in the world is this supposed to mean?

I didn't read it as anything nefarious, simply that If we continue to recruit the most talented players available, we will continue to have some leave before they have played 4 years.

pfrduke
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I didn't read it as anything nefarious, simply that If we continue to recruit the most talented players available, we will continue to have some leave before they have played 4 years.

I didn't read anything nefarious into it either - I just genuinely have no idea what the poster meant.

Bob Green
12-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I caught a few minutes of the first half of the Villanova - St Joseph's game and Taylor King played some quality minutes. He has 8 points and 6 rebounds at the half and seems to be willing to do the dirty work inside on the defensive end of the court.

roywhite
12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I caught a few minutes of the first half of the Villanova - St Joseph's game and Taylor King played some quality minutes. He has 8 points and 6 rebounds at the half and seems to be willing to do the dirty work inside on the defensive end of the court.

Yikes...just watching that game. Did you see Taylor's FAIL on a breakaway dunk attempt?

He picked up a loose ball and took off, was about 20 feet ahead of any other player, went up.....and failed to get the ball over the rim. To compound his error, he then chased the opposing ballhandler down the court and fouled him from behind. Off to the bench and a few words with Coach Wright.

It's the kind of play that makes Sportscenter list of worst plays.

Taylor does have 14 points and Villanova is up by 12 late.

YourLandlord
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
king finishes with 20.

huge game.

FireOgilvie
12-09-2009, 11:43 PM
king finishes with 20.

huge game.

20 points, 9 rebounds. Not bad...

Elliot had 22 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 steals against Montana St. tonight. He's led Memphis in scoring in every game this year.

December 15th is too far away... I can't wait this long between games.

Billy Dat
12-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Andy Katz has a new blog post up about Elliott, it's very complimentary:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/351/williams-quietly-starring-at-memphis

If his mother's health were a non-issue, I wonder if (A) Elliott would have emerged quicker last year and (B) where he would have been in the pecking order on this year's team?

Do we think if Nolan went to Memphis instead of Elliott and was given the same "You the Man" freedom to carry the team, he'd be putting up similar numbers? Considering that Nolan is putting up 17, 3 and 3 for us, you'd have to think that the answer would be yes.

You have to think that if we had Elliott, we'd still have a 3 guard starting line-up..but there are a lot of what ifs from there...Dawkins would still be in high school, how would Singler, then, be getting perimeter minutes, etc.

Anyway...good for Elliott...glad to see him doing his thing.

Lord Ash
12-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I think that a large part of EMail's success is because he is simply being given the minutes and the freedom. He is ESSENTIAL to that team. I think if you take Kyle or Nolan or Jon and stick them in that slot, they would put up at least as good numbers, if not better. When you are given so much more freedom and so many more minutes/shots you will naturally see your numbers increase.

ESPN is blocked here at work, but I am curious what his shooting percentage looks like and his assist/turnover rate. Can anyone fill this in for me?:)

Billy Dat
12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
espn is blocked here at work, but i am curious what his shooting percentage looks like and his assist/turnover rate. Can anyone fill this in for me?:)

mpg - 32.6
ppg - 20.7
reb - 4.3
ast - 3.3
to - 2.7
a/t - 1.21
stl - 2.0
blk - 0.1
pf - 1.6
fg% .505
ft% .745
3pt %.306
pps 1.53

DukeUsul
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Taylor King was the single reason Villanova won last night. If he's not hitting clutch threes down the stretch, they lose. The play with the missed dunk and the following frustration foul he committed was about the only dumb thing I saw him do. I'm not sure his defense has gotten up to where it should be, but it in general looked improved.

greybeard
12-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Eliot Williams is a terrific, terrific scorer/playmaker/defender/rebounder from the guard position. No ifs, ands, or buts. I do not think that he would have gotten to show that as much had he stayed at Duke. Would others from Duke have shown in a similarly enhanced fashion had they transferred to Memphis. I doubt it.

Oriole Way
12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Pretty hilarious thread on a MD board bashing Taylor King: http://www.insidemdsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25190

Typical MD hate, but there are some good points about King's weaknesses.

dukelifer
12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Eliot Williams is a terrific, terrific scorer/playmaker/defender/rebounder from the guard position. No ifs, ands, or buts. I do not think that he would have gotten to show that as much had he stayed at Duke. Would others from Duke have shown in a similarly enhanced fashion had they transferred to Memphis. I doubt it.
It is a bit early to project Elliot as a first team All American or an NBA first rounder given the opponents they have player other than Kansas very early in the season- but he is playing well and hard- not taking any nights off. I suspect everything is easier at Memphis. His personal life is easier to manage- class work is easier and getting and taking shots are easier. He also learned a lot about how to play hard by playing at Duke. He is highly focused and less distracted- all that is helping him.

CameronBornAndBred
12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
all that is helping him.
Good post. I bet after he graduates if you asked him if he ever looked upon Duke as a mistake he would say no. If it weren't for his unfortunate family circumstances, I have no doubt he would have graduated from Duke as one of the all-time favorites.

Wander
12-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Boykin is playing a fantastic game on the road against the #1 team in the country right now.

Saratoga2
12-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Those having a chance to see the Cal/Kansas game last night saw a close game for more than 60 minutes with Kansas blowing Cal out only at the end. Cal did it with rebounding and outside shooting.

Jamal Boykin had a nice game with 15pts, 15rb, 2a, 2st, 2to and 3pf. He put those stats up against one of the best teams in the country and against some very good big men. It is nice to see that he has made such improvement.

SMO
12-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Those having a chance to see the Cal/Kansas game last night saw a close game for more than 60 minutes with Kansas blowing Cal out only at the end. Cal did it with rebounding and outside shooting.

Jamal Boykin had a nice game with 15pts, 15rb, 2a, 2st, 2to and 3pf. He put those stats up against one of the best teams in the country and against some very good big men. It is nice to see that he has made such improvement.

That was a nice game. The other thing I noticed about him was his leadership. He still had the bounce and enthusiasm I remember from his Duke year, but was totally under control.

juise
12-23-2009, 05:12 PM
That was a nice game. The other thing I noticed about him was his leadership. He still had the bounce and enthusiasm I remember from his Duke year, but was totally under control.

I got to see about three minutes of the Cal/KU game, but I did hear Bob Knight praise Jamal's play and explain that he brings great energy to the Bears' line-up. I remember that Jamal's leadership and presence (but not talent/skills) sometimes drew comparisons to Shane. I'm really happy that Jamal has become such a solid player and contributor.

DU82
12-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Taylor King was the single reason Villanova won last night. If he's not hitting clutch threes down the stretch, they lose. The play with the missed dunk and the following frustration foul he committed was about the only dumb thing I saw him do. I'm not sure his defense has gotten up to where it should be, but it in general looked improved.

I was at the Villanova-Delaware game this evening (soon to be yesterday if I don't type fast enough!) King scored 19 and pulled down 12 boards. He didn't start, but came in real early because Pena did something dumb in the first minute and was pulled. Taylor didn't do much at first, but after a little time on the bench he started playing well. He plays in the middle in their zone defense, which helps minimize his weaknesses on D. He did get burned once or twice when he was defending 1 on 1 down low.

He looked controlled out on the court, and didn't force shots. In fact, I thought his teammates missed him a couple of times when he had a mismatch against a smaller player inside (he plays a lot more inside than he did his season with us.) He certainly still shoots well from outside. Plus...he didn't miss a free throw, and he had quite a few (don't have the full stats handy).

He looks to be in much better shape (nothing that wouldn't have happened if he had stayed at Duke) and clearly has a high basketball IQ. On the flip side, Delaware is BAD, and it's hard to judge things accurately against such a poor opponent.

As an aside, my nephew's talked to him a few times, and he indicated that Taylor enjoyed his time at Duke and didn't have anything bad to say about his time here.

diveonthefloor
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Elliot Williams played well vs so-so competition last night (IUPUI).

I was surprised he hit 5-6 3pgs. He's currently at 37% for the year and 78% from the line....large improvements over his numbers last year.

C-USA is pretty weak this year (pretty much every year now that LVille, Cincy, and Marquette are gone); EW will prob be one of the finalists for POY in the conference.

diveonthefloor
12-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Many of you may already know this, but I just learned today that
Memphis' Coach Pastner (who requires that all players live together in the sports dorm on U of M campus), has granted Elliot an exception to spend more time with his mom due to her illness.
They don't live a long way from campus.

Her current condition is being kept very quiet out of respect for the family's privacy.

Jim3k
02-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Boykin shows his class and his love. Cal guarantees a first place tie in the Pac 10 (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/4878/cal-62-arizona-state-46) with win over ASU.

This follows Boateng's best game in his college career two days ago as his 25 points paced an ASU win over Stanford. Johnny Dawkins: "In the second half, they [ASU] were able to free up a little more and create opportunities, especially down low with Eric Boateng. He had a terrific game. The young man played one of the best games I've ever seen him play in the low post." Contra Costa Times. (http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_14474577?nclick_check=1)

Kdogg
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
His season may be over but congrats to Elliot Williams who was first team C-USA (and newcomer of the year).

Jamal Boykin made second team in the PAC 10.

juise
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
His season may be over but congrats to Elliot Williams who was first team C-USA (and newcomer of the year).

Congrats indeed, but they'll be they'll be in the NIT if they aren't invited to the Big Dance. He'll get a chance to redeem today's performance.