PDA

View Full Version : Duke Freshman Wide Out Conner Vernon

watzone
11-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Is this kid having an outstanding freshman season or what? He leads the ACC in receptions and is second in receiving yards. He has the most receptions of any freshman Duke wide out in history - already! He will own the yards in receptions after the UNC game provided he grabs a 16 yard catch.

Anyhow, Vernon talked with the media for the first time this season during Cut's weekly PC. Here is what Conner had to say -

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/bdn-audio-standout-freshman-wideout-conner-vernon-opens-up-to-the-media/

Greg_Newton
11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Is this kid having an outstanding freshman season or what? He leads the ACC in receptions and is second in receiving yards. He has the most receptions of any freshman Duke wide out in history - already! He will own the yards in receptions after the UNC game provided he grabs a 16 yard catch.

Anyhow, Vernon talked with the media for the first time this season during Cut's weekly PC. Here is what Conner had to say -

http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/11/bdn-audio-standout-freshman-wideout-conner-vernon-opens-up-to-the-media/

Love that guy. He really embodies the "new" attitude of the team.

Does anyone know where he came from? As in was a he a relatively highly regarded recruit when he arrived, or did he just explode when he got here?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Love that guy. He really embodies the "new" attitude of the team.

Does anyone know where he came from? As in was a he a relatively highly regarded recruit when he arrived, or did he just explode when he got here?

He and teammate Donovan Varner are from Gulliver Prep in Miami. It's not a surprise that he's good. Coach Cutcliffe and staff have a way of finding good players. They know how to teach and coach players to be outstanding.

You can still get tickets to either of the last two home games.

Bob Green
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM
An excellent interview with an exciting player. I'm really enjoying the football season and looking forward to the next four games as we try to earn bowl eligibility. Conner Vernon is a big ingredient in Duke's recipe for success. Hopefully, Thad Lewis can spread the ball around to all our talented receivers in Chapel Hill this week.

CDu
11-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Varner and Vernon have been absolutely huge this year. One of my biggest questions about the team was how we were going to replace the loss at WR last year. Those guys have more than filled the void. Heck - we're probably even BETTER at that position than last year, and it's in large part to two freshman!

Bob Green
11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Varner and Vernon have been absolutely huge this year. One of my biggest questions about the team was how we were going to replace the loss at WR last year. Those guys have more than filled the void. Heck - we're probably even BETTER at that position than last year, and it's in large part to two freshman!

Two freshman? Our four leading receivers are:

Conner Vernon - freshman
Donovan Varner - sophomore
Austin Kelly - junior
Johnny Williams - sophomore

CDu
11-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Two freshman? Our four leading receivers are:

Conner Vernon - freshman
Donovan Varner - sophomore
Austin Kelly - junior
Johnny Williams - sophomore

My mistake. For some reason I had Varner as a freshman as well. As should be obvious, I was referring to Varner and Vernon as freshman (I specifically mentioned them). I had forgotten that Varner played quite a bit last year, though in a MUCH smaller role. The point remains that both have exceeded expectations this year.

Bob Green
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
As should be obvious, I was referring to Varner and Vernon as freshman (I specifically mentioned them)...The point remains that both have exceeded expectations this year.

I absolutely agree with you. And your point was obvious, I was just being difficult early in the morning. :)

Acymetric
11-03-2009, 03:10 PM

One freshman and one sophomore!

CDu
11-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I absolutely agree with you. And your point was obvious, I was just being difficult early in the morning. :)

No problem. I'm not sure exactly why I thought Varner was a freshman. Top of the morning to you.

chrishoke
11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Before this year, Duke had three 100 yard games receiving by freshmen - EVER. Conner has had three such games this year!

DukeSean
11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm hoping that the emergence (and recognition) of our WRs, especially Vernon, gets Tony Creecy to decommit from NCSU and come to Duke

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
A sign of great things to come.

weezie
11-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Conner is a master showman. Didn't he get the unsportsmanlike for calling unsportsmanlike on the 'hoos after they nearly decapitated him?
He's definitely got the "GRRRRRRRR" that Duke has lacked on the gridiron.
Kind of a pigskin Laettner?

TNTDevil
11-03-2009, 09:11 PM
He and teammate Donovan Varner are from Gulliver Prep in Miami. It's not a surprise that he's good. Coach Cutcliffe and staff have a way of finding good players. They know how to teach and coach players to be outstanding.
Not to nitpick but both of these young men were discovered by Scottie Montgomery who, at the time, had been brought on board by Ted Roof.

Cutcliffe's wise decision to retain Scottie cemented Varner and Vernon's decision to come to Duke.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Not to nitpick but both of these young men were discovered by Scottie Montgomery who, at the time, had been brought on board by Ted Roof.

Cutcliffe's wise decision to retain Scottie cemented Varner and Vernon's decision to come to Duke.

You're absolutely right about Scotty Montgomery's role in finding and recruiting these two and also about Ted Roof having the foresight to hire Scotty. I meant no slight regarding Ted's role in all this good fortune. In fact, I'm one of those who continues to think highly of Ted and his ability to recruit well.

My remark about Coach Cutcliffe and his staff was intended to highlight the remarkable job they've done so far in recruiting and training players.