PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Cut's press conference, 11-3

jimsumner
11-03-2009, 02:05 PM
When obliquely asked about Tudor's N&O column, Cutcliffe claimed complete ignorance. "First I've heard about it." Mentioned that he was SEC Coach of the Year one year and unemployed the following year. Thus giving him perspective.

When asked what he had learned about the Duke-UNC rivalry, he answered "how close the schools are." Then he went on to describe visits to Target in Durham where he was surrounded by Carolina fans and Carolina merchandise. Says he felt like he was on an undercover recon mission.

Vernon took responsibility for the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty v. the 'Hoos. Says it was a "boneheaded play." Got caught up in the moment. Should have known better. Cut added that Duke isn't good enough to give up 15 yards. Thinks Connor was dazed at the time and that the loss of pose was uncharacteristic.

Cut says he has never had a freshman as productive as Vernon. Also says that he has never had a walk-on place-kicker perform as well as Snyderwine. Says Snyderwine has a great work ethic, focus, and toughness.

Cut very complimentary of UNC defense. Says even if Duke can't run and can't pass, the coaches have to figure out how to score points. UNC DL creates mismatches. Can't double-team everyone.

Also says that UNC backs are the toughest to tackle in the ACC.

He was quite concerned with UNC's physicality. UNC pushed Duke around last year and Duke cannot let that happen again. Calls the game a gut-check. More than hostile atmosphere, big challenge.

Secrets of Thad's success this year? Accurate, quick with ball, knows offense, sees the field. Comfortable and confident.

Says this week's game is the biggest of his career so far at Duke.

Sir Stealth
11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
For those who may not have seen the actual play, it's a great example of taking the high road and full responsibility for both Vernon and Cut to take any kind of blame for that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The guy got his helmet ripped off, was clearly shaken up as he lay on the ground, and then made the first down signal when he stood up, maybe with a slight smirk on his face. This is not unsportsmanlike conduct and these types of penalties really are killing college football. At best it takes a great deal of healthy emotion out of the game, at worst it swings games unfairly (e.g. A.J. Green UGA/LSU). I'm not talking about legitimate taunting or egregious acts either.

Still, for Vernon to take responsibility for getting the flag at all demonstrates a great deal of maturity and says a lot about him. Same goes for Cut emphasizing that Duke can't have any penalties of that nature when he easily could have criticized the call. I love the way this team plays.

brianl
11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I was also in Charlottesville Saturday. For those of you who weren't there it was a great hit and pretty remarkable that he held on to the ball.

Several UVA fans around me couldn't believe the call. They thought at first it was an unsportsmanlike call on Cook due to the nature of the high hit.

Great Play, and even though it was penalized don't forget it was after the play and the catch was on a 3rd and long and we needed to convert.

budwom
11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I was also in Charlottesville Saturday. For those of you who weren't there it was a great hit and pretty remarkable that he held on to the ball.

Several UVA fans around me couldn't believe the call. They thought at first it was an unsportsmanlike call on Cook due to the nature of the high hit.

Great Play, and even though it was penalized don't forget it was after the play and the catch was on a 3rd and long and we needed to convert.

It was certainly a "hit," but not a great one. Photos clearly showed that the defender ripped off his helmet by (not surprisingly) grabbing his face mask and yanking it backwards. Vernon is lucky he wasn't seriously injured.
How the ref could miss that is beyond me.

jafarr1
11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2009/10/31/21/Oct._31__2009__Duke_28__Virginia_18_011.standalone .prod_affiliate.156.JPG

As others have said, how they can flag the little first-down motion Vernon made and not the face mask is beyond me, but I do like that Cutcliffe has people accepting responsibility.

devildeac
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
It was certainly a "hit," but not a great one. Photos clearly showed that the defender ripped off his helmet by (not surprisingly) grabbing his face mask and yanking it backwards. Vernon is lucky he wasn't seriously injured.
How the ref could miss that is beyond me.

I'm blind, I'm deaf...

loran16
11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm blind, I'm deaf...

I want to be krzyzew........................................... ....ski

Hey, it sort of rhymes :-P