PDA

View Full Version : Coach Thuggins starts to put together his team at WVU

rthomas
04-27-2007, 08:48 AM
No, I'm not talking about his new 6'5" point guard recruit. I talking about Thuggy putting together his coaching team.

ESPN.com is reporting that WVU's new assistant coach is none other than Billy Hahn. Yep, that Billy Hahn. The coach who helped recruit many of the Maryland players who won the NC in 2002. Then, he got his own gig at LaSalle. But Hahn was forced to resign from LaSalle in disgrace after he admitted not reporting rape allegations made against some of his players by one (or was it two) women (I think one woman was one the LaSalle women's basketball team and the other worked for a LaSalle basketball camp). These allegations were made to him directly and he tried to coerce the women to shut up.

And even though the players were acquitted (I think), having Hahn join Huggins is a questionable move at best. Who next? Jim Harrick for academic advisor? or maybe Larry Eustachy, for the team's social director?

it just warms my heart to be a WVU fan these days. Or should I say good ole Thuggy U.

Indoor66
04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
But he is only giving the down-and-out another chance :rolleyes:

mgtr
04-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I wonder how many D1 coaches there are who got their schools on NCAA probation (or worse) and are now coaching somewhere else. A fair number I would guess, although I can't name even one. I guess Kelvin Sampson is one, isn't he?

GopherBlue
04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Who next? Jim Harrick for academic advisor? or maybe Larry Eustachy, for the team's social director?

. . . Clem Haskins might give Harrick some competition for the academic advisor position, but then again, Harrick could always go back to selling used cars; Jim O'Brien as financial aid director; Pokey Chatman as guidance counselor; let's not forget Jerry 'Tark the Shark' Tarkanian as compliance officer; and I think Don Imus is available to do off-color commentary.

Could be quite a staff :D

Buckeye Devil
04-28-2007, 08:02 AM
I had the privilege of knowing Bob Huggins' parents. His father was a true legend as a high school coach in Ohio having won multiple state titles at Indian Valley South High School in eastern Ohio. He ran a youth basketball camp near Sherrodsville, Ohio that had a very positive impact on many kids who attended. His parents had good values and morals-kind of like "Salt of the Earth" people.

In short, Bob came from good stock and I am sure that he knows better than to associate himself with people of questionable character. The troubles he has got himself into would be reprehensible to his parents. Some of the paths his life has taken in recent years are very unfortunate and one can only hope that someday he will remember and take the road that his family would have wanted him to take. I know that they would not want him to have the "Thuggins" label applied to him in the thread.

johnb
04-28-2007, 01:54 PM
recruiting rules are often bent/broken, though some of that has to do with idiosyncratically rigid rules rather than malevalance. Given that, I bet all coaches are pretty honest and most coaches are quite honest, at least because they don't want to get shut down. I think Huggins' graduation rates are pathetic, which implies that he doesn't care about educating his kids, but I don't think he was cheating right and left..