PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler AP Preseason All American First Team

dukeforester
11-02-2009, 12:40 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/11/02/all.americas.ap/index.html

juise
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
It's nice to see Kyle (Singler) getting that recognition. If he make first team AA, I think it will mean that Duke has had a very good season.

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Agreed. He is very deserving of that position.

loran16
11-02-2009, 01:04 PM
He is indeed very deserving, but seriously, someone change the title of this thread.

How on earth do you make a spelling like that...that's not a typo, that's just...ugh.

juise
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
He is indeed very deserving, but seriously, someone change the title of this thread.

How on earth do you make a spelling like that...that's not a typo, that's just...ugh.

It's one letter off of the correct spelling. It could have been automatically "corrected" by the OP's browser. Let's take a deep breath and worry about things that matter... like what a 17-year-old said about Duke in his latest recruiting blog. :p

dukeforester
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
No, believe it or not, the title is a typo. It also shows I need to proof my words before I submit.

I'd change the title, but don't know how. Sorry.

jesus_hurley
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
No, believe it or not, the title is a typo. It also shows I need to proof my words before I submit.

I'd change the title, but don't know how. Sorry.

IIRC there were several announcers last year who were calling him Singular...

Jeffrey
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM

True, that's not how you spell Scheyer.

Wander
11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
True, that's not how you spell Scheyer.

No, no, you're getting it mixed up - Scheyer is voted as the preseason defensive player of the year.

By the way, I'd put Wall over Harengody. I'm glad to see Singler make it, though.

allenmurray
I actually like the typo. A singular talent.

Merriam-Webster: distinguished by superiority, exceptional (an artist of singular attainments; or, being out of the ordinary

loran16
It's one letter off of the correct spelling. It could have been automatically "corrected" by the OP's browser. Let's take a deep breath and worry about things that matter... like what a 17-year-old said about Duke in his latest recruiting blog. :p

It's 2 (e, not a), but true enough. Also, don't mock us worrying about what 17 year olds say! Those 17 year olds are super-important! </sarcasm>

@Original poster, edit the post, and click on go advanced on the edit to change the title.

Jeffrey
11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
No, no, you're getting it mixed up - Scheyer is voted as the preseason defensive player of the year.

Good point... my mistake. I temporarily forgot why Jon is the least of our worries. Hopefully, the NBA scouts will not make the same mistake I did.

CEF1959
11-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I know it's not an original thought, but I think this could be a real breakout season for KS. Good helping defenses will have to give him a bit more room to contend with the big boys inside, and he'll have smaller guys consistently defending him. When a team goes 6-10, 6-10, 6-8 across the front, the 6-8 guy is going to be guarded by a lot of 6-6 wing players, many of whom are there for their offense, not their defense. And defensively, KS will have a lot more back up in the paint.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Are we really having a convo about someone who missed spelled a word?

Anyway i can see Kyle as the next JJ or Tyler H in the ACC. He had the same kind of numbers in his first two seasons. Third year were both they're break out year and i hope it's the same way with Kyle.

jimsumner
11-02-2009, 06:01 PM
"Are we really having a convo about someone who missed spelled a word?

Anyway i can see Kyle as the next JJ or Tyler H in the ACC. He had the same kind of numbers in his first two seasons. Third year were both they're break out year and i hope it's the same way with Kyle."

Evidently some of us take spelling and grammar more seriously than do others. :)

Redick, Battier, Laettner, and Ferry all fit the template of good players who became great players as juniors.

Not sure it applies to Hansbrough, who was unanimous first-team All-ACC as a sophomore.

FWIW, there's not a single returning first-team All-ACC player this year. So, at the ACC level, it's wide-open for Singler to become the bully of the neighborhood. Of course, that would apply to Vasquez, Booker, Aminu, Lawal and others.

weezie
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Shhhhh.....Kyle is about to explode on the national scene. Pass it on.

whereinthehellami
11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
"Are we really having a convo about someone who missed spelled a word?

Anyway i can see Kyle as the next JJ or Tyler H in the ACC. He had the same kind of numbers in his first two seasons. Third year were both they're break out year and i hope it's the same way with Kyle."

Evidently some of us take spelling and grammar more seriously than do others. :)

Redick, Battier, Laettner, and Ferry all fit the template of good players who became great players as juniors.

Not sure it applies to Hansbrough, who was unanimous first-team All-ACC as a sophomore.

FWIW, there's not a single returning first-team All-ACC player this year. So, at the ACC level, it's wide-open for Singler to become the bully of the neighborhood. Of course, that would apply to Vasquez, Booker, Aminu, Lawal and others.

I'm on board with this Jim except that I think that Kyle already is a great player. But you are right in that this year sets up perfectly for him to become the marque name for Duke. The go-to-guy. The one thing I hope is that Kyle doesn't settle for the 3. He is too good in the triple threat position to limit himself to just becoming a good 3-point shooter. I love it when Kyle attacks the basket. I think that Kyle has the potential to be good passer but up to this point hasn't really had anyone that he could set up. That could change this year with Mason and Miles down low.

airowe
11-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Judging by what I saw from CTC, what I read about the Pfeiffer game, and comments from Coach K and other staff members, Kyle has really worked on his outside shot this offseason.

He will be able to exploit his height advantage over a number of smaller defenders this year, both on the perimeter, and by posting them up down low.

He truly will be a triple threat this year and I'm happy to see him blow up nationally.

jv001
11-03-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm on board with this Jim except that I think that Kyle already is a great player. But you are right in that this year sets up perfectly for him to become the marque name for Duke. The go-to-guy. The one thing I hope is that Kyle doesn't settle for the 3. He is too good in the triple threat position to limit himself to just becoming a good 3-point shooter. I love it when Kyle attacks the basket. I think that Kyle has the potential to be good passer but up to this point hasn't really had anyone that he could set up. That could change this year with Mason and Miles down low.

When I first read that Kyle would be playing on the perimeter this season, the first thing I thought was, hope he doesn't fall in love with the 3 pointer. I believe that Kyle is one of the most complete players in the country. So I don't expect him to settle for the 3. He is too good at driving the ball to the basket and with his size and post up moves he will surely post up his man a lot this year. I look forward to seeing Kyle be a 1st team All American this year and I think it happens. Go Duke!

Edouble
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll be completely shocked if Kyle isn't a First Team All-American this year and the player of the year in conference. He's a player that really has no glaring weaknesses in his game and does everything pretty well or exeptionally well. He has height, quickness, toughness, and passion. I have not been this excited about an individual player's season since JJ's senior year. Kyle has certainly earned the right to be listed among the pre-season AAs.

NSDukeFan
11-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I'll be completely shocked if Kyle isn't a First Team All-American this year and the player of the year in conference. He's a player that really has no glaring weaknesses in his game and does everything pretty well or exeptionally well. He has height, quickness, toughness, and passion. I have not been this excited about an individual player's season since JJ's senior year. Kyle has certainly earned the right to be listed among the pre-season AAs.

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if Kyle isn't first team AA, though I hope he will. There are just too many good players and too many things that can happen. Trevor Booker is an awfully good player; Ed Davis, Aminu or Alabi may blow up this year; Evan Turner and Robbie Hummel may have great years; Greg Monroe, Devin Ebanks and Da'Sean Butler could all have big years as well.
I hope Kyle has the type of year that would lead to All-American status at the end of the year, (I hope Jon is in the running for one of the AA teams as well), but I wouldn't bet on it at this point against the field. I do think he is as likely as anyone else out there though.

RainingThrees
11-14-2009, 02:30 PM
ESPN has a list of first and second team all americas according to their experts which include Katz, Jay Williams , Bilas...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2009/news/story?id=4651093

Nothing really new as all the experts have the same players just shuffled around a bit. One interesting point is that Jay Bilas is the only expert to not have Kyle Singler as a first OR second team all america. How interesting.

El_Diablo
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
One interesting point is that Jay Bilas is the only expert to not have Kyle Singler as a first OR second team all america. How interesting.

That was the first thing I noticed. He really goes out of his way to avoid picking anything Duke-related.

I mean, really? Not even Second Team???

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-16-2009, 01:23 AM
I was very dissapointed when i seen that. I mean I understand he does want to be the Hubert Davis of Duke but that should mean not doing his job. He sometimes goes wayyyyyyy to far to avoid giving duke props.

05/18/2005
11-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Yea, you could even argue that he has an anti-duke bias.

Edouble
11-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Yea, you could even argue that he has an anti-duke bias.

I have done so many times.

JaMarcus Russell
11-16-2009, 01:44 AM
He seriously put Ed Davis over Singler. I would really like to see him explain that one.