PDA

View Full Version : KY top 5 vs. Duke Top 5 - Who wins?

KYtotheCore
11-02-2009, 12:02 AM
KY:

PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Tony Delk
F - Tayshaun Prince
F - Antoine Walker
C - Sam Bowie

Duke:

?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-02-2009, 12:08 AM
DUKE:

PG-J-WILL
SG-JJ
SF-Shane
PF-Elton Brand
C-Christain

Game- goes to DUKE

darthur
11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't follow KY that much, but would you really have two starters on the all-time team from the last decade? I'm surprised they aren't out-classed by people from the championship teams.

KYtotheCore
11-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't follow KY that much, but would you really have two starters on the all-time team from the last decade? I'm surprised they aren't out-classed by people from the championship teams.

Honestly, I'm just trying to keep the list relevant. Walker, Prince and Rondo were all on championship teams - it was in the NBA though.

Greg_Newton
11-02-2009, 01:06 AM
DUKE:

PG-J-WILL
SG-JJ
SF-Shane
PF-Elton Brand
C-Christain

Game- goes to DUKE

Maybe we should stick to "Top five from the top 25 years" so we don't get into the impossible debate over whether a Jeff Mullins or Art Heyman could really stay on the court with a Grant Hill if both were in their prime.

And the answer would also depend on whether we're going by how good players were in college vs. how good they were in their prime years in the NBA.

IMO, Duke's best of the past 25 years going by how good they were in college:

PG: Johnny Dawkins
SG: Jason Williams
SF: Grant Hill
PF: Elton Brand
C: Christian Laettner

It seems like Ferry should be on there too... but not sure over who. Maybe sub out JD and put Danny at SF? Also very hard to leave off Hurley and Shane, but I don't know you take off for them.

By how good they were in their prime/NBA years:

PG: Jason Williams*
SG: Grant Hill
SF: Corey Maggette
PF: Elton Brand
C: Carlos Boozer

*I just can't leave off J... even though his career (so far) was cut very short, I'd still take him in his prime over any over our other PGs. POSSIBLY JD, but I thought J had much more potential.

My take, at least.

Lord Ash
11-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Honestly, I'm just trying to keep the list relevant. Walker, Prince and Rondo were all on championship teams - it was in the NBA though.

I can't help but wonder if, in some way, you are contradicting yourself within this post.

slower
11-02-2009, 07:20 AM
KY:

PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Tony Delk
F - Tayshaun Prince
F - Antoine Walker
C - Sam Bowie

Duke:

?

let's substitute John Wall and Jamal Mashburn for Delk and Walker. That's a better-looking KY team IMO. I might even pick Dan Issel over Walker.

Not that it would matter - GTHK!

rthomas
11-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Who would coach Kentucky in this all star game? I know who would coach Duke.

slower
11-02-2009, 08:04 AM

we could (gulp) let Pat Riley coach them.

bdh21
11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
we could (gulp) let Pat Riley coach them.

What about putting Worldwide Wes on the bench? I hear he's a Kentucky guy now.

KYtotheCore
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM

I would probably have to say Pitino. I'd bet that if it came down to a last second shot, he'd probably choose to guard the guy throwing in the ball this time.

CEF1959
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
KY:
C - Sam Bowie

?

Wanna start a conversation? Ask the Portland Trail Blazers about Sam Bowie.

rsvman
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
The ex-Dukies by a long shot. Wouldn't be a close game.

airowe
11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
When did DUKE Basketball Report become a UK board? Seriously, the front page is littered with threads about a team we barely ever play. Please, KYtothecore follow the other guests here, Wheat, shoutingncu, crimsonandblue, and pull back the thread starting a little bit.

Oh, and Duke wins 8 out of 10 and the other 2 games will be vacated.

jimsumner
11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Kentucky didn't become the winningest program of all-time without having some pretty good players before 1980. Try Dan Issel on for size. Or Ralph Beard. Or Alex Groza.

And don't even mention Goose Givens.

In case you're wondering, the newly published ESPN Encyclopedia has

Issel
Givens
Cliff Hagan
Ralph Beard
Frank Ramsey

V.
Laettner
Grant Hill
Art Heyman
Johnny Dawkins
Bobby Hurley

as the two schools' respective top fives. The interesting thing is we could come up with an alternative top five for both schools with no repeats that would be just as good.

killerleft
11-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Bobby Hurley, with those other four, would never have to make a whiney face!:) Neither would they (well, Laettner might).:D

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-02-2009, 08:18 PM
J-Will best duke point guard Period.

weezie
11-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Duke would win for the simple reason that our players are all better looking than theirs.
And smarter and better dressers and much better dancers.
No contest

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Duke would win for the simple reason that our players are all better looking than theirs.
And smarter and better dressers and much better dancers.
No contest

This isn't a popularity contest. But i agree.:):):)

jv001
11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
J-Will best duke point guard Period.

But Bobby does have two NCAA Championships to J=Will's one. Cannot lose either way. Go Duke!

slower
11-02-2009, 09:49 PM
When did DUKE Basketball Report become a UK board? Seriously, the front page is littered with threads about a team we barely ever play. Please, KYtothecore follow the other guests here, Wheat, shoutingncu, crimsonandblue, and pull back the thread starting a little bit.

I'd just as soon talk about KY basketball as Duke FOOTBALL. Seriously, if this site is about DUKE BASKETBALL, why can't we limit it to talking about DUKE BASKETBALL? To repeat, I think threads concerning KY or UNC hoops are JUST as relevant as anything about Duke football or golf or anything else non-basketball.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
But Bobby does have two NCAA Championships to J=Will's one. Cannot lose either way. Go Duke!

Yea but you also have to mention the level of players on other teams at and his teammates. But yes you can't go wrong with either one.

Bob Green
11-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Seriously, if this site is about DUKE BASKETBALL, why can't we limit it to talking about DUKE BASKETBALL?

I encourage everyone to read the forum description:

This is the board for discussions of Duke basketball and Duke athletics in general. Renamed by Boswell in memory of Julio's mom, Elizabeth King, an extraordinarily talented woman, mother, and Duke basketball fan.

Duke football is definitely a germane topic, while the plethora of Kentucky threads are annoying.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-02-2009, 10:52 PM
We complain they're too many UK threads on the front page but we keep posting in them lol smh.

slower
11-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I encourage everyone to read the forum description:

Duke football is definitely a germane topic, while the plethora of Kentucky threads are annoying.

Obviously, I hadn't read that. Sorry.