PDA

View Full Version : "OVERRATED!" Chant Revolution

KYtotheCore
11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey gang,

This isn't directed at Duke specifically, it's really more of just a call to revolution for all fans of sports to discontinue the "overrated" chant at ballgames.

Please consider; if (your team name here) beats a team assigned a higher ranking than yours and the fans start to chant "overrated", isn't that the fans basically saying "we're proud that we just beat a team we already deemed inferior to us!"

Maybe it's me . . . but why is that something a truly superior team would voice as noteable? Shouldn't it go without saying?

Please pass it on.

ice-9
11-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Kentucky = OVERRATED clap clap clapclapclap! :p

But seriously, I don't think this chant has ever been endorsed by the crazies. I remember when I was an undergrad the one or two times a newb tried to start it the vets quickly squashed it.

My favorite memory of this chant...2001 at Maryland. With less than 2 minutes to go and the twerps up double digits, the crowd starting jeering us on national tv as overrated. Fools! 56 seconds later, this led to the greatest comeback in duke history. Don't see the twerps using this chant on us any more. :)

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Kentucky = OVERRATED clap clap clapclapclap! :p

But seriously, I don't think this chant has ever been endorsed by the crazies. I remember when I was an undergrad the one or two times someone tried to start it the veteran crazies quickly squashed it.

My favorite memory of this chant...2001 at Maryland. With less than 2 minutes to go and the twerps up double digits, the crowd starting jeering us national tv with chants of overrated. 56 seconds later, as they say, is history. :)
I've seen it used in Cameron for players..but not for teams. (It was fun to hear during Shaq's visit).

LetItBD08
11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
isn't that the fans basically saying "we're proud that we just beat a team we already deemed inferior to us!"

Coach K voiced the same opinion in a talk he gave the night before a Carolina game a couple of years ago. He's equally bewildered.

Hey! Check it out! A KY fan and Coach K found common ground. Hehe.

jimsumner
11-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Yep. The most illogical, irrational cheer of which I am aware.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
When was the last time it's been used in Cameron? To my knowledge, it's been years and years.

If that's the case, the "revolution" was started quite some time ago.

KYtotheCore
11-02-2009, 12:10 AM
When was the last time it's been used in Cameron? To my knowledge, it's been years and years.

If that's the case, the "revolution" was started quite some time ago.

Can't really say. I don't catch a lot of duke games. You'd probably be more likely to know.

juise
11-02-2009, 01:40 AM
K definitely asked the Crazies not to use this cheer on multiple occasions during my time at Duke (00-04). I think most of us had already gotten the memo and I never heard it uttered in Cameron.

DevilWolf
11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
It would have more meaning if someone had the balls to chant it before the game.

Bluedog
11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I actually heard this cheer once in Cameron, unfortunately. It was during a women's game about five years ago when we defeated #1 Tennessee. It was a small, but vocal contingent and most people didn't go along with it. But I could hear it loud and clear and thought it was incredibly stupid. I'm fairly certain the people who started it weren't men's games attendees....The student crowd for a women's game is very different than men's...But at least this game the student section was close to full as it was a #1 vs. #2 matchup or something like that.

grad_devil
11-02-2009, 12:19 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I heard it in Cameron during a game when we played Maryland (2000) and Terence Morris. I'm not sure if the cheer was directed at the team or just Morris, but after the chant he proceeded to drop two big threes on us. We eventually went on to lose the game behind strong performances from Morris, Juan Dixon, and Lonnie Baxter. We definitely made every effort to stifle that cheer from then on.

I think that's why the "Overrated" cheer we heard @ college park in 2001 was so sweet :)

You can find a link to the game here: http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/020900aac.html

--grad_devil

Tom B.
11-02-2009, 12:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I heard it in Cameron during a game when we played Maryland (2000) and Terence Morris. I'm not sure if the cheer was directed at the team or just Morris, but after the chant he proceeded to drop two big threes on us. We eventually went on to lose the game behind strong performances from Morris, Juan Dixon, and Lonnie Baxter. We definitely made every effort to stifle that cheer from then on.

You're correct -- that's one of the great karmic ironies of Duke's Miracle Minute comeback in College Park in 2001. Just a year earlier, the "Overrated" cheer bit Duke in the butt big time against Maryland. I think Duke was up by nine or ten with about nine minutes left -- i.e., still plenty of time for a comeback -- when some Crazies began the "Overrated" chant. It was directed mostly at Terence Morris, who hadn't played well up until that point. He promptly went off from long range and Maryland came back to win -- a loss that, as it turned out, would be Duke's only ACC loss that season.

Flash forward a year -- Duke is trailing by double digits in the closing minutes of regulation at College Park, and the Maryland fans break out the "Overrated" cheer. You know what happened next....

Lord Ash
11-02-2009, 01:20 PM

You know, the one that wins that title for me is the "Hi so and so, YOU SUCK!" chant that was popular. There is just something wrong with chanting "Hi Antawn Jamison, YOU SUCK!" at the start of a game, you know?

Edouble
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
You know, the one that wins that title for me is the "Hi so and so, YOU SUCK!" chant that was popular. There is just something wrong with chanting "Hi Antawn Jamison, YOU SUCK!" at the start of a game, you know?

That is by far the dumbest cheer ever. How is it clever or even fun to do? I hope people are not still doing that.

Bluedog
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
That is by far the dumbest cheer ever. How is it clever or even fun to do? I hope people are not still doing that.

People at Duke? No. People at Maryland? Yes.

CEF1959
11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
We're debating cheers now? Ok...

When I was in Little League, a popular infield chatter was "Hey batter, batter, he can't hit, he can't hit." Isn't the taunt that questions the other team's ability kind of a time-honored tradition? They come and go in terms of popularity, some are worse than others, and coaches generally are on the record opposing anything negative about another team or player, but it seems silly to get all philosophical or self-righteous about it.

And isn't the "we don't stoop to that level, but XXXX fans do, and we are oh so much more creative" the sort of elitism that tends to be decried 'round here as making us look bad?

I say: Lighten up, do what you want, and have fun. Just don't be an @&& with racist, homophobic, or otherwise profane comments, and be willing to take what you give.

rsvman
11-02-2009, 04:52 PM
....And isn't the "we don't stoop to that level, but XXXX fans do, and we are oh so much more creative" the sort of elitism that tends to be decried 'round here as making us look bad?

Certainly, but what if it's true?

uh_no
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM

i believe

the 'Hi so and so' chant started back at a carolina game for which coach K told the crazies they needed to be more polite.....it started with welcoming the players, students held signs that said 'please miss', and applauded politely

the 'you suck' is from a few vocal idiots

Sixthman
11-02-2009, 06:25 PM

When it was first used at Duke, it was in a logical context. Specifically, Duke, as a highly ranked team, had destroyed a team which was ranked comparably, but not typically ranked that high. The message being that we're good and belong at this level and you do not. For example, suppose number 2 Duke were to beat number 3 Miami by 30 points. This would be an appropriate, although uncivil cheer, that would not belittle Duke's accomplishment. The same cheer would make no sense if number 2 Duke destroyed number 3 UNC. Where the cheer has become irrational is when an unranked team beats a ranked team. Let's say unranked Virginia Tech beats number 8 UNC. The cheer then suggests that UNC is overrated because Virginia Tech itself is no good. It belittles the accomplishment of the fans' own team.

weezie
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey gang,

This isn't directed at Duke specifically, it's really more of just a call to revolution for all fans of sports to discontinue the "overrated" chant at ballgames.

Whatsamatta KY? Are you feeling nervous already?! ;)

KYtotheCore
11-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Whatsamatta KY? Are you feeling nervous already?! ;)

Nah.