PDA

View Full Version : UK fan wondering . . .

KYtotheCore
11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
First let me state that I'm a basketball fan first and a KY fan second.

I've read a few posts by Duke fans saying that when we (KY) face UNC the fact that the game will have a loser is already a partial win. Which brings me to ask - why are there Duke fans who dislike KY and UNC equally?

I used to really root against Duke because of the whole Laetner stomp (which just screams 9th grade), but over time they have earned almost all of their respect back. Sorry guys, the laetner incident is just something you can't repair no how many games and respectable recruits you sign.

Would someone please remind me what KY did to receive such bristle? Also, please spare us all the "hicks" or "hillbilly" references or any of that other foolishness. Those phrases are simply just tired from overuse and would only point to lack of a true answer. I mean, you have beat us, we've beat you - enlighten me.

loran16
11-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I think there's a divide here. All Duke Fans SHOULD (unless they're silly) hate UNC far more than Kentucky.

Moreover, the divide is this: Younger Duke Fans...don't really care at all about Kentucky. I, for one, barely remember the Laettner game in real time (obviously I've seen it on replay) and really , nothing UK has done since then has earned me any enmity toward Kentucky.

Older Duke Fans have some more dislike. Not as much as they do for UNC, but clearly more dislike. And i think there's probably a 2:1 split in favor of older Duke Fans on this board.

allenmurray
11-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Which brings me to ask - why are there Duke fans who dislike KY and UNC equally?

Easy - because they are equally dislikable.

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I didn't have any problem with Kentucky at all until I found out how much they talk **** about Duke. So, I just dislike any team that dislikes us. Pretty much all there is too it.

OOOHHHHH yeah, and you have a coach that is a slimeball cheater. I guess that doesn't help.

But, I don't dislike KY nearly as much as UNC. That's not possible sir.

DukePA
11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I have no idea who the Duke fans are that dislike unc and KY equally and I've been a Duke fan since 1967. We despise unc. I know that my family and I actually like KY. We always root for them unless they're playing Duke. Who knows? At least you guys appreciate an excellent shade of blue :D

loran16
11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Easy - because they are equally dislikable.

Ummm, whaaaa?

Seriously....why dude? UNC is our enemy, our constant competitor, and in-conference rival, with whom we have a storied history.

UK is an out-of-conference team, that we haven't played in like...forever it seems, and whose only connection with us is that a good deal of their fans hate us. And, well, that same bit is true with MOST OTHER FANBASES out of jealousy.

DukeBlood
11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I never used to mind Kentucky. They were one of those schools that I didn't root for, or against. A while back I was randomly searching teams forums, and Kentucky message boards are... (trying to think of the right words)... similar to UNC's boards. Started rooting against Kentucky since I seen how brutal most of their fans are against Duke.

You may love Coach Cal, but his recruiting tactics are shady at best. They have always been like this, and I cannot respect him or any program who wants him as a leader. Honestly, If Duke went after him as a coach I wouldnt root for him to be successful.

Between those two things, its easy for my dislike to be up there with UNC.

loran16
11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I never used to mind Kentucky. They were one of those schools that I didn't root for, or against. A while back I was randomly searching teams forums, and Kentucky message boards are... (trying to think of the right words)... similar to UNC's boards. Started rooting against Kentucky since I seen how brutal most of their fans are against Duke.

You may love Coach Cal, but his recruiting tactics are shady at best. They have always been like this, and I cannot respect him or any program who wants him as a leader. Honestly, If Duke went after him as a coach I wouldnt root for him to be successful.

Between those two things, its easy for my dislike to be up there with UNC.

See, I have a problem with this statement (and i've voiced it before). If you never go to UK boards or websites, you'd never ever have any reason to dislike Uk nowadays

On the other hand, if you never go to UNC websites or Boards, you'll still hate UNC.

So how can you compare the two? I mean, i dislike UK atm only cuz i extremely dislike Calipari. But to compare it to UNC? SERIOUSLY?!

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 09:05 PM

If Duke went after Calipari, I wouldn't be a Duke fan anymore. However, Duke never would. That is a huge part of why I will always be a Duke fan. (That and 4 years of being there made it part of my DNA)

DukeBlood
11-01-2009, 09:06 PM
See, I have a problem with this statement (and i've voiced it before). If you never go to UK boards or websites, you'd never ever have any reason to dislike Uk nowadays

On the other hand, if you never go to UNC websites or Boards, you'll still hate UNC.

So how can you compare the two? I mean, i dislike UK atm only cuz i extremely dislike Calipari. But to compare it to UNC? SERIOUSLY?!

It's up there. I didn't say it was above or even equal to. First and foremost is UNC, Then Kentucky then U-Conn.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I actually grew up kind of liking UK. As a small child the fact that their colors were similar positively disposed me and by the time I was a teenager Pitino ran a really fun style of ball to watch. For myself, and a lot of Duke fans I know, my growing dislike springs almost entirely from the waves of hate I get from just about every UK fan I've ever met regarding Duke.

I guess I get how seeing such a lovable group of underdogs lose to Duke would be frustrating, but I'm just baffled at the degree to which a lot of UK folks spew so much venom. Especially since y'all had some nice payback in '98, it seems silly to fixate on a team that doesn't even play them very often.

For me 2002 was a major landmark. When we played IU in the tournament Rupp was really hostile in a scary way (i.e. far beyond cheering against a basketball team) and since then I've just assumed a mutual dislike. I've got UK-fan buddies just like I have UNC-fan friends, but unless I hear differently from a given UK fan I tend to assume that my team is being hated and give back what I get.

All that said, there is absolutely no comparison with UNC. If UK and UNC are playing I want to see UK win by a 100 points every single time. 9F, GTHC and all that.

Greg_Newton
11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
As previously stated, Duke fans generally dislike Kentucky for 4 reasons:

1, 2 & 3) The level of hate receive from Kentucky fans.

4) John Calimari.

That's pretty much it.

That said, I don't think we dislike UK anywhere NEAR as much as UNC. It's kind of like the Maryland situation - they're under the impression that they are our rival, therefore they treat us disrespectfully, therefore we dislike them.

I think it would be a little silly to argue that the "hate" is generated primary by Duke fans, rather than UK fans. With all due respect, you don't usually hate a team that you have generally gotten the better of over the years. Heck, we have you guys to thank for providing us the setting for the play of the century!:rolleyes: I used to love watching Pitino's late 90's teams myself, and I generally like to see UK's basketball program doing well, as a fellow blue-blood.

I think you would have been hard pressed to find any serious UK-hating among our ranks before internet message boards allowed us to see what y'all say about us.

elvis14
11-01-2009, 09:26 PM

I've read a few posts by Duke fans saying that when we (KY) face UNC the fact that the game will have a loser is already a partial win. Which brings me to ask - why are there Duke fans who dislike KY and UNC equally?

I used to really root against Duke because of the whole Laetner stomp (which just screams 9th grade), but over time they have earned almost all of their respect back. Sorry guys, the laetner incident is just something you can't repair no how many games and respectable recruits you sign.

Would someone please remind me what KY did to receive such bristle? Also, please spare us all the "hicks" or "hillbilly" references or any of that other foolishness. Those phrases are simply just tired from overuse and would only point to lack of a true answer. I mean, you have beat us, we've beat you - enlighten me.

I live in the Triangle area, surrounded by thousands of obnoxious, poor behaved (in regards to basketball) UNC fans. I didn't hate UNC until I moved here (although I was already a Duke fan when I moved here in 1991). I tend to find two types of Duke fans that have hate for Ky (which btw, I don't):

1) Fans who are reacting to Ky fans hate of Duke.
2) Fans that have lived in or around Ky who are reacting to the Ky fans in exactly the same way I react to UNC fans.

That's just my experience and observations, others my disagree or have other reasons for disliking your team. Also with both Ky and UNC ranked above Duke in the polls, I do see it as beneficial that one will take a loss (hopefully UNC).

BTW, welcome to DBR, we welcome discussion from fans of other teams (sometimes too much.....in regards to UNC fans).

El_Diablo
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM

An actual excerpt from one of the Kentucky recruiting threads, concerning Kyrie Irving:

"The kids sanity needs to be checked if hes wanting to be a d**kie!! Why any black straight player would ever wanna play for that ratface is beyond me!!"

Consider your self enlightened. Any other questions?

05/18/2005
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Ky is disliked for a few reasons.
Personally i feel that calipari is slimy and is a dirty recruiter. My other reason is because of those awful duke hating posters who are so frequently found throughout ky boards.
That being said, they are not even close to as disliked as unc is.

dukemsu
11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
for their long-standing tradition of ethical blindness, from Rupp to Hall to Sutton. Pitino, seemingly ran a clean operation, as did Tubby, who was treated in an embarassing fashion by UK fans.

And now they've brought in Cal. Cal hasn't been personally implicated in either of the messes left in his wake, but ovviously his name isn't the best in basketball in terms of ethics.

UK has had tremendous players over the years, and some great teams. But the fan base's tolerance of rule-breaking is off-putting to me.

camion
11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
If U.K. were located in Hillsborough and in the ACC then there might be some basis for this thread. :rolleyes:

KYtotheCore
11-01-2009, 09:40 PM
An actual excerpt from one of the Kentucky recruiting threads, concerning Kyrie Irving:

"The kids sanity needs to be checked if hes wanting to be a d**kie!! Why any black straight player would ever wanna play for that ratface is beyond me!!"

Consider your self enlightened. Any other questions?

Nah. I do have to admit that your response is pretty funny though! My wife's laughing too. Now you have an expample of two different types of UK fans.
Thanks

Newton_14
11-01-2009, 09:46 PM
The fact that you referred to the Laettner transgression as a "stomp" does not help your case. How badly was Timberlake bruised on that? Ruptured spleen? Crushed/Broken ribs??

Stupid play? Yep! Deserve a technical? Yep! I will make no excuses for it, but either call it what it was or don't bring it up.

That said, I put 100% of my heart and soul into hating everything unc. So much so that I do not have any energy left over to even hate another team a little bit.

Like others have pointed out, having stepped over to a couple of Kentucky boards and seeing that there are almost more Duke threads than Kentucky ones, yeah that causes me to dislike their fans.

And your new coach continuing to recruit this summer when he had zero scholly's open which forced existing players off the team sealed my opinion of him. That act was far and away the worse transgression I have seen from a coach in a long time.

But rest assured when you guys hook up with unc I will be pulling hard for Wall to score 50 and for you guys to run the holes out of the gym...

77devil
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I used to really root against Duke because of the whole Laetner stomp

Few things give me more enjoyment than bringing up Laettner amongst Kentucky fans. They turn red, stammer and drool. Are you twitching yet?

El_Diablo
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Nah. I do have to admit that your response is pretty funny though! My wife's laughing too. Now you have an expample of two different types of UK fans.
Thanks

Just so you know I'm not making it up, here's the link for that quote...it's post #3.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=48&f=2754&t=4975754

I still hope you beat UNC this year though...no mixed feelings for me!

billy
11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
True story. Minding my own business, walking in Disneyland with my four year old son, who had a Duke jersey on. A UK fan walks by and shouts "You can't spell Duke without "UK". Of course, I replied "You can't spell sucks without "UK" either!"

That being said, mark me as being in the apathetic towards UK camp.

dukemsu
11-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Few things give me more enjoyment than bringing up Laetner amongst Kentucky fans. They turn red, stammer and drool. Are you twitching yet?

Laettner's very existence drives various fanbases to Cujo-like insanity.

I wish I could get a decent Laettner Duke jersey and just wear it around to piss people off. Then again, I don't want to die.

dukemsu

Atldukie79
11-01-2009, 09:58 PM
The fact is Duke fans despise UNC because:

1) They are our traditional arch rival and we are taught (rightly) to hate them
2) Proximity breeds contempt
3) Local fan base: what other major program has such a weak home town base? Durham is at best a split UNC/Duke town....I suggest more UNC than Duke.
4) We compete for the same players, the same conference and the national title.
5) It is in our DNA to hate UNC.
6) UNC resents the very essence of an elite private school...they wish to be the elite "public ivy".
7) They have beaten us more than any other school
8) Sanctimonious coaches (Dean Smith) make it easy to despise UNC

Duke fans do not obsess with Kentucky.
Duke does not like Kentucky because:
1) KY fans seem obsessed with Duke
2) KY fan venom approximates the vocal Maryland fans who spew vulgarities and ignorance
3) KY does not win "the right way". KY is the Oakland Raiders..."Just win, Baby".

The one thing a Duke fan will concede to UNC and not to Kentucky, is that they are a worthy adversary who competes on a higher ethical playing field than KY. KY=Memphis=Cincy=UConn. No broken Fed Ex packages of cash for players at UNC or Duke.

Hope that helps.

loran16
11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
The fact is Duke fans despise UNC because:

1) They are our traditional arch rival and we are taught (rightly) to hate them
2) Proximity breeds contempt
3) Local fan base: what other major program has such a weak home town base? Durham is at best a split UNC/Duke town....I suggest more UNC than Duke.
4) We compete for the same players, the same conference and the national title.
5) It is in our DNA to hate UNC.
6) UNC resents the very essence of an elite private school...they wish to be the elite "public ivy".
7) They have beaten us more than any other school
8) Sanctimonious coaches (Dean Smith) make it easy to despise UNC

Duke fans do not obsess with Kentucky.
Duke does not like Kentucky because:
1) KY fans seem obsessed with Duke
2) KY fan venom approximates the vocal Maryland fans who spew vulgarities and ignorance
3) KY does not win "the right way". KY is the Oakland Raiders..."Just win, Baby".

The one thing a Duke fan will concede to UNC and not to Kentucky, is that they are a worthy adversary who competes on a higher ethical playing field than KY. KY=Memphis=Cincy=UConn. No broken Fed Ex packages of cash for players at UNC or Duke.

Hope that helps.

Agreed with that last one. KY for me is less than UConn, but the comparison is perfect.

jv001
11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Dislike= Kentucky, UConn, Maryland, Georgetown,
Hate= unc
I used to like Kentucky until the "slimeball" was hired. It did not bother me much that UK fans disliked Christian. Most were/are just jealous. But since they hired cal I really dislike them. However the Kentucky fans do not come close to the idiot unc fans. Therefore I can put up with them. Go Duke!

KYtotheCore
11-01-2009, 10:15 PM
The fact that you referred to the Laettner transgression as a "stomp" does not help your case. How badly was Timberlake bruised on that? Ruptured spleen? Crushed/Broken ribs??

Stupid play? Yep! Deserve a technical? Yep! I will make no excuses for it, but either call it what it was or don't bring it up.

That said, I put 100% of my heart and soul into hating everything unc. So much so that I do not have any energy left over to even hate another team a little bit.

Like others have pointed out, having stepped over to a couple of Kentucky boards and seeing that there are almost more Duke threads than Kentucky ones, yeah that causes me to dislike their fans.

And your new coach continuing to recruit this summer when he had zero scholly's open which forced existing players off the team sealed my opinion of him. That act was far and away the worse transgression I have seen from a coach in a long time.

But rest assured when you guys hook up with unc I will be pulling hard for Wall to score 50 and for you guys to run the holes out of the gym...

Yeah, you're right. "Stomp" may be harsh. Either way - there was no footprint on the guy's jersey at tip-off. I really just hate what Laetner did for your program and disrespect Coach K -argueably the best coach in the sport (and for the "mushroom" haircut for that matter). That's what I think about the whole issue in a nutshell.

Actually, I have found myself appreciating Duke again simply for the fact that you just can't argue with that kind of success. I'm glad to see that Duke has distanced itself from that type of behavior. It's just smart recruiting by not recruiting Laetners again. Its good for the whole NCAA.

BD80
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Jack Givens. March 27, 1978. 41 points.

"Goose"

Really?

KYtotheCore
11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I'd say he's under your skin. While your obsessing on Laettner, let me remind you of Ricky Robey, UK class of 1978, as cheap and dirty a player as there ever was.

Sorry. I hadn't yet really gotten into UK and basketball for that matter. Just a little before my fondness for the game.

loran16
11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I'd say he's under your skin. While your obsessing on Laettner, let me remind you of Ricky Robey, UK class of 1978, as cheap and dirty a player as there ever was.

Not to be defending UK here, but this is where i'm talking about there being an old-young divide.

I wasn't born till 1987 myself. So this name is meaningless to me. And i imagine its meaningless to a lot of UK people as well, at least as anything more than a historic moment.

77devil
11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Sorry. I hadn't yet really gotten into UK and basketball for that matter. Just a little before my fondness for the game.

Not to be defending UK here, but this is where i'm talking about there being an old-young divide.

I wasn't born till 1987 myself. So this name is meaningless to me. And i imagine its meaningless to a lot of UK people as well, at least as anything more than a historic moment.

Both of you should bone up on your Duke and Kentucky basketball history. Believe it or not, there were important events before you came of age.

-bdbd
11-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Like others have pointed out, having stepped over to a couple of Kentucky boards and seeing that there are almost more Duke threads than Kentucky ones, yeah that causes me to dislike their fans....

KY/Core - As others have said, dislike of KY doesn't hold a significant place among most Duke fans. When KY beat out Duke for Patterson and then Wall I don't think you saw many, if any, post on these boards hating on KY. The focus was simply, "Hey, we lost another good recruit - who do we go after now?" They're (KY) just not generally front of mind, really. If you asked most Dukies on the street what they think of KY, the reaction might be something like "Big BB school who we've bumped into in the tournament a few times." Maybe a secondary thought might be "Big state school with a lot of rabid fans centered around BB." As a group, we truly are more focused on things within the ACC. Also, I think the typical Duke grad doesn't center their life as much around BB, in general, as the typical KY grad/fan (though I could be mistaken in that perception).

In general, I think any negativity here among the more knowledgeable fans would be more focused on what is generally perceived as a pretty obnoxious, possibly self-entitled fan base -- which clearly has it in for Duke (call KY the anti-Duke). The TYPE of the programs are very different. The history of "$100 handshakes" and cash spilling out of overnight packages to recruits, and more recently the hiring and deity-status of an ethically challenged head coach leads more to a sentiment of disdain (more for the fanbase) than a real hate directed at the actual program.

BTW, Boozer is spot-on re your purported "stomp," as anyone w/o an ax to grind would describe it as a "taunt" more than anything. Timberlake's immediate reaction was a smile and a point (at Laettner for his stupid play). BTW, if you ever watch that game, rewind the tape and watch about a minute of play leading up to that incident, and you'll see a (I would call it dirty) "takedown" of Laettner in the lane just before. Of course no KY fan ever wants to hear about what led to Laettner's "stomp" and subsequent (and deserved) technical... But the truth be told, you and most KY fans would have long ago forgotten about Grant Hill, Laettner and that play...if not for his miracle shot at the end of O/T that ripped your hearts out. I know the history, and that was truly a miraculous team for KY and her fans -- a team that essentially "brought the program back to life." So the agony was palpable. But geez -- 17 years later and you've got fans by the thousands still doing all kinds of juvenile things hating towards Duke, like calling the Duke players all kinds of heinous things (I've seen much worse than the citation above), insulting the school and the program, comparing the coach to a rodent (this after he, within a couple minutes after that famous shot, ran over to the KY radio crew and spoke of his respect for the program and for the long-time KY broadcasting legend who was doing his last game, etc), and so-on, and so-on. How can you seriously ask why the Duke fans wouldn't think very highly of the KY fanbase?? If the KY message boards are any indication, then YOUR type of KY fan is greatly outnumbered by the idiot kind (unfortunately)...

All that said, and in all sincerity, GOOD LUCK VERSUS OUR RIVAL UNC-CH!! (They are REALLY obnoxious!)

-BDBD :D

loran16
11-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Both of you should bone up on your Duke and Kentucky basketball history. Believe it or not, there were important events before you came of age.

I'm aware of this. At least with regards to Duke History. I could care less about kentucky history, so I'd probably only come up with that name in a mention and not care about it.

Duke has a rivalry with UK. Duke at least PLAYS maryland twice a year. Duke has no rivalry with Kentucky. I'm sorry we don't, or we'd have made an effort to satisfy our fans anger by scheduling them in a non-conference game (and don't say we couldn't considering UNC has scheduled them 2 years in a row now)

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-01-2009, 10:57 PM
this after he, within a couple minutes after that famous shot ran over to the KY radio crew and spoke of his respect for the program and for the long-time KY broadcasting legend who was doing his last game, etc), etc., etc.

This is a really great point. I'd be curious to know if UK fans have blocked this out, if it's seen in a different light, etc. It's always been one of my favorite moments from K's career because is highlights how he is so keenly aware of other people's feelings and the historical moment, even when his own situation is emotional. In the moment after that shot to even think about the UK fans at home is amazing, much less to seek out the announcer and express the respect that he did.

IMO, UK (or any) fans who can hate that coach are either delusional or self-centered in the extreme. Watching them vilify K after that act is a large part of why I have trouble respecting the program.

KYtotheCore
11-01-2009, 11:07 PM
This is a really great point. I'd be curious to know if UK fans have blocked this out, if it's seen in a different light, etc. It's always been one of my favorite moments from K's career because is highlights how he is so keenly aware of other people's feelings and the historical moment, even when his own situation is emotional. In the moment after that shot to even think about the UK fans at home is amazing, much less to seek out the announcer and express the respect that he did.

IMO, UK (or any) fans who can hate that coach are either delusional or self-centered in the extreme. Watching them vilify K after that act is a large part of why I have trouble respecting the program.

please see post #29

Jim3k
11-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm aware of this. At least with regards to Duke History.

Well, no one, including you, has even mentioned the first sore spot. It was in 1959-60,

A young high school player with amazing ability, living right in Lexington, was tearing up Kentucky basketball. Adolph Rupp himself -- God to many in the Bluegrass -- coveted this young man and Rupp believed/convinced himself entitled to the young man's services.

It didn't happen. Instead Duke's young coach, Vic Bubas, persuaded Jeff Mullins to follow Art Heyman to Duke, instead of joining Cotton Nash at UK. Jeff's jersey hangs from the ceiling today. And Rupp's disappointment, nay anger, still resonates in Kentucky. Everything that followed over the years comes from that font of head-to-head recruiting failure.

That's history; and that's your second or third generational divide.

JBDuke
11-01-2009, 11:17 PM

As many others have said on this thread, it's a rare Duke fan that elevates their dislike of any program in the country to be equal to our disdain for the Heels. That said, Duke and Kentucky have played in several remarkable games in the last 30+ years that have left some scars on long-term fans.

1978. Duke, after falling off a cliff after Vic Bubas retired, returns to glory with a young, charismatic collection of players led by Jim Spanarkel, Mike Gminski, and Gene Banks. After a 12 year absence, Duke returns to the NCAA tournament and advances all the way to the championship game, charming folks with their exciting play and sparkling personalities. Then they lose to Kentucky in the championship game, devastating many a Duke fan. Two years later, Duke gains a small bit of revenge by knocking off Kentucky in Rupp Arena in the Sweet 16, but loses in the Regional Final to Purdue.

1992. Duke and Kentucky play possibly the best college basketball game ever in the NCAA East Regional Final. The game goes into overtime, and Kentucky, riding on a high as Jamal Mashburn and a bunch of overachievers have taken them further than anyone expected after the program had been devastated just a couple of years previously when caught committing recruiting violations, manages to take the lead with just 2.1 seconds remaining in OT on a crazy shot by Sean Woods (IIRC). Duke, defending National Champs, golden children of the media, and consensus #1 for the whole season, is about to have their year ruined by a bunch of upstarts from a program with a glorious but tainted past. And then Christian Laettner, one of the best villains ever to put on a basketball uniform, eviscerates the Wildcat faithful with a miracle, last-second shot. Duke goes on to win their second championship in a row, and Kentucky fans get to relive the humiliation every time someone replays Laettner's amazing shot.

1998: Over the previous 3 years, Duke had suffered its worst downturn of the Krzyzewski era as the program has gone through nearly losing their Hall of Fame coach due to a back injury and physical exhaustion. Coach K's inability to balance the wants and desires, both public and private, imposed on him as the leader of what has become the nation's most recognized and glamorous college basketball program, has impacted his recruiting. Both factors resulted in Duke's first losing season (1995) since 1983, and early exits from the NCAA's in '96 and '97 after having gone to 7 Final Fours in 9 years. But in 1998, all seemed well again. Duke has the #1 freshman class in the nation, and riding the talent of that class blended with the cream of the crop from the down years, the Blue Devils have won the ACC regular season with a 15-1 record, and have advanced to the regional finals in St. Petersburg - against Kentucky. Duke has the Cats down by 17, but Kentucky stages a dramatic comeback to edge Duke 86-84, dashing the dreams of those wanting a return of Duke's glory years.

Duke and Kentucky have never played each other regularly, but they've met 10 times in the last 44 seasons. Five of those games have been in the NCAAs - twice in Regional Championships ('92 and '98), once in the semifinals ('66), and once in the championship game ('78). For programs that don't play a lot, that's a remarkable concentration of big games. And they've all been competitive - a total point differential of 14 points between winners and losers in those 5 games. In other words, we're not regular rivals, but when we meet, it tends to be on a big stage for big stakes and the games are close.

One other factor can't be dismissed, and probably contributes to the apparent difference in the intensity of hate being thrown around between Duke and Kentucky. My experience with Kentucky fans, present company excluded of course, is that they tend to have a sense of entitlement. Kentucky is arguably the most successful college basketball program in history, and many of their fans seem to think that that means that the rest of us should acknowledge their inherent superiority and bow down in homage when the Cats come to town. However, Duke is arguably the most successful program of the past 25 years, and Duke's ascent has coincided with an explosion of media coverage, led by ESPN. So, not only do Kentucky fans have to deal with being displaced as the best team in the land (over the past generation or so), but they also get reminded of it a lot more as Duke plays on national TV 30+ times a year and grabs media headlines. I'm sure these fans view us as usurpers.

So, there are many reasons for animosity between Duke and Kentucky fans, and perhaps moreso on the Kentucky side of things. But for most Duke fans, it will never approach the level of loathing we maintain for the Heels.

Speaking of which, there's the certain matter of a football game this weekend....

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!!!!!!

Kewlswim
11-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi,

Besides the vile that is spewed forth--directly at me for saying I graduated from and root for Duke--is this belief that EVERYONE cheats in college basketball. Furthermore, this hatred for Duke by Kentuckians didn't start with the UK-Duke O.T. game, I think it started much earlier.

I happened to be good friends with a sports writer at the Louisville-Courier Journal and Times who showed me an article written during the Louisville-Duke Final Four by Billy Reed (a columnist there) about how he disliked what the Duke players Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas, et al said during the Final Four (mind you they were ASKED the questions, they didn't invent things to talk about). He hated how they acted as if Duke were some sort of "Ivy League" school or something. My friend ambushed Billy in that he called him and then put me on the phone. My question was simple, if he was so incensed that things were being asked of the Duke players and not the Louisville players (as was his contention), well then Billy Boy why didn't YOU ask these questions of Scooter McCray or any other player? Here, Billy Reed had a sadly typical "Kentucky" type of response, he didn't ask those questions because it was inappropriate to talk about the school and ones education at the Final Four since it would make Scooter and friends potentially look bad; that was why he didn't ask, it was "inappropriate." It isn't like the players are playing for a school where they are attending so as to gain an education or anything.

By the way, it is hard for me to "hate" Kentucky. Though I do get tired of being called a "Fa**" and other lovely things just because I decided to attend school there.

GO DUKE!

jipops
11-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, you're right. "Stomp" may be harsh. Either way - there was no footprint on the guy's jersey at tip-off. I really just hate what Laetner did for your program and disrespect Coach K -argueably the best coach in the sport (and for the "mushroom" haircut for that matter). That's what I think about the whole issue in a nutshell.

Actually, I have found myself appreciating Duke again simply for the fact that you just can't argue with that kind of success. I'm glad to see that Duke has distanced itself from that type of behavior. It's just smart recruiting by not recruiting Laetners again. Its good for the whole NCAA.

Ok, you may just be a bit sensitive on the whole Laettner thing. His "stomp" was a stupid immature taunt. Something practiced in hundreds of games by 18-22 yr olds each season. I would venture to say that even other Duke players have committed acts just as foolish, just in lesser games. I'm not excusing it, he was incredibly dumb and classless with that act.

Christian was definitely prickly and ultra-competitive. Not any different than a well known MJ in that regard, just without the athleticism. He was constantly riding his teammates to step up. But Laettner is not a bad guy at all. Using his dumb taunt over 17 years ago as the basis for what type of person he is may be a bit shallow. The guy won a lot while at Duke and he did carry himself in such a way where you could tell he enjoyed it. Probably made it seem like he was there forever at the time which I'm sure brought about a lot of resentment to be brought to paramount by the "stomp". But I disagree that he was a poor representative for Duke. He won two national championships and earned his 4 year degree. As much as I believe Laettner irked K and the rest of his team at times, I guarantee you Coach K would love to find another one just like him. Seriously, what program wouldn't? Don't say UK.

KYtotheCore
11-01-2009, 11:46 PM
So, there are many reasons for animosity between Duke and Kentucky fans, and perhaps moreso on the Kentucky side of things. But for most Duke fans, it will never approach the level of loathing we maintain for the Heels.

Speaking of which, there's the certain matter of a football game this weekend....

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!!!!!!

That's a pretty good rundown between the two, probably the best yet. You may be right about the UK fans feeling a sense of entitlement. I don't share it, and even though I'm not a huge Coach Cal fan, I feel he had it right when he said that "when KY comes to town, nobody dozes off" which is an interesting outlook to say the least. He definitely has our attention.

BlueintheFace
11-02-2009, 01:19 AM
No program approaches the dislike for UNC

Negatives about KY:

1) Fanbase: (worse than UNC to be honest... just racist, inappropriate, delusional, and vitriolic at the extremes). They honestly want to win above anything else, even if the players or coaches are bad people generally or cheaters

2) Winning program: (same as KU or UCLA). The bluebloods just want each other to lose

3) Calipari- Most UK fans, when they are honest with themselves, know the risk here. They know what kind of coach he has been in the past. Good? Yes. Ethical? No. The coach is the face of the program. To be honest, I didn't mind Kentucky too much when Tubby was the coach. Not even when they won the championship. He is just a good man for the most part and that goes a long way. Calipari is an about face and it makes KY soooooo unlikeable right now.

4) Jealousy- Why should such an unethical coach get so many good recruits? It doesn't seem right.

whereinthehellami
11-02-2009, 08:23 AM
for their long-standing tradition of ethical blindness, from Rupp to Hall to Sutton. Pitino, seemingly ran a clean operation, as did Tubby, who was treated in an embarassing fashion by UK fans.

And now they've brought in Cal. Cal hasn't been personally implicated in either of the messes left in his wake, but ovviously his name isn't the best in basketball in terms of ethics.

UK has had tremendous players over the years, and some great teams. But the fan base's tolerance of rule-breaking is off-putting to me.

I agree with this.

cspan37421
11-02-2009, 08:29 AM
please see post #29

I must have missed in post 29 where you acknowledged that K showed class in congratulating the Wildcat players and fanbase for a wonderful game and terrific season. You write that you "disrespect Coach K." ??

I went to HS in Kentucky, so I'm not wholly ignorant of the fanbase mindset there. Basketball is important - as I recall, our education would stop if KY was on TV during the school day (such as early round tournament games etc). I seem to remember watching at least one KY/UL game during school hours too, but that could have been on videotape.

I will dissent with most of my fellow Dukies here though on UK vs. UNC. UNC is a fine school (if you take advantage of it - not all do) and their hoops program is, AFAIK, clean. I've heard from friends who went to UK that UK isn't (wasn't) even as clean as its public image. Between the two, I look more highly and respectably on the program that's on a more even playing field with us - and that's UNC. Sure, I see UNC as our primary rival and sure, I root for us to beat them and care more about the outcome of that series than any other regular season matchup. But hate? Hate is a wasted emotion. Moreover, I can't reconcile hate with good sportsmanship.

The only issue I have with a Duke-UK rivalry is, is it a fair fight? Did the teams get and keep their players within the rules? I don't have the same sense of this w/r/t UK as with UNC, and so I disrespect UK - as a team - more than UNC (though I far prefer UK's shade of blue!).

Don't be surprised if UK is vacating some wins and tournament appearances down the road. You play with fire, you're going to get burned. And Calipari is hot stuff.

ice-9
11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
True story. Minding my own business, walking in Disneyland with my four year old son, who had a Duke jersey on. A UK fan walks by and shouts "You can't spell Duke without "UK". Of course, I replied "You can't spell sucks without "UK" either!"

That being said, mark me as being in the apathetic towards UK camp.

If this happened to me I would've responded with..."Well, you can't spell Duke without the D and the E either so...what's your point?"

Saratoga2
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I dislike Kentucky because they hired Calipari, a known transgresor of the NCAA rules and a person with little integrity, who as others have said, recruited additional players when he had a full contingent and then got the presumably less capable players to leave.

I dislike Connecticut second most, since they exude an aura of criminality. The program is another one that needs a hard look from the NCAA. I'll bet there are many skeletons in their closets.

As a Dukie fan but not a graduate, I see North Carolina differently. Sure, their coach is annoying, but you could say that about many. Sure their die-hard fans hate Duke (could say that about many schools fans), but the program appears to stay clean and they do recruit well and are competitive at the highest level. I can't muster the same distain for them that I feel for Kentucky and Connecticut.

allenmurray
11-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I dislike Kentucky because they hired Calipari, a known transgresor of the NCAA rules and a person with little integrity, who as others have said, recruited additional players when he had a full contingent and then got the presumably less capable players to leave.

I dislike Connecticut second most, since they exude an aura of criminality. The program is another one that needs a hard look from the NCAA. I'll bet there are many skeletons in their closets.

As a Dukie fan but not a graduate, I see North Carolina differently. Sure, their coach is annoying, but you could say that about many. Sure their die-hard fans hate Duke (could say that about many schools fans), but the program appears to stay clean and they do recruit well and are competitive at the highest level. I can't muster the same distain for them that I feel for Kentucky and Connecticut.

I agree. UNC is a rival, therefore my feelings about them are similar to my feelings about jumping into a swimming pool filled with 38 degree water. However, I do acknowledge that it is a good clean program.

KY and CT - I feel about them as I would jumping into a swimming pool filled with toxic waste.

cspan37421
11-02-2009, 09:17 AM
KY and CT - I feel about them as I would jumping into a swimming pool filled with toxic waste.

LOL!

And there's an interesting study in contrasts too. No cadre of Duke fans are still chanting for Rod Sellers' head or verbally abusing UConn fans for what Sellers did to Laettner - slamming his head on the hardwood. Laettner is over it, we're over it. We have fresh and current reasons to dislike UConn.

pardon me while I check to see if my laptop is still where I left it.

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Am I wrong to assume this:

-The general college basketball fanbase does not like UK (and to a certain extent, UCONN), with the exception of their own fanbase. Duke does have history with UK, but it doesn't surmount to pure 'hatred' for one another.
-The general college basketball fanbase likes UNC, but we despise them because they are our main rival with a long history.

UNC hatred is specific to Duke, but UK hatred is a little more general.

I would definitely say that UNC is a bigger rival and, in a game between the two, I would cheer for UK any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

moonpie23
11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
UNC hatred is specific to

the sun rising in the morning....

should_be_working
11-02-2009, 10:06 AM
This is a very easy question for me. I live and have always lived in the state of Kentucky. When I first started watching basketball, I believe UK was suspended at the time for NCAA violations, and Duke happened to be everywhere and winning quite a bit, so the rest is history.

I think the number one reason I hate UK is the grief I've had to endure over the years from fans. I can simply mention the 92 game and I hear every excuse in the book for why UK should have one - "Leattner shouldn't have been in the game", "the time expired before the shot was off" "they rigged the clock" etc...

And now I get to hear how Duke pays referees, how they always get the breaks, how much espn loves them, I don't even want to go into the name calling and negative comments thrown this way, which at first site shocked me, even though they should be expected by now. The derogatory comments anger me in a way I can't explain.

A couple of years ago I was at an amusement park for my husband's company-wide event and I can't tell you how many UK fans had UK t-shirts praising Billy Gillispie, before he had even won a game. That really worked out well for them. And now UK fans have already proclaimed themselves NCAA champions because of Cal, and he hasn't even coached a game yet. They talk about how Duke is now irrelevant, and yet they seem to forgot that last year they didn't even make it to the NCAA tournament - talk about irrelevant.

I swear UK fans want Duke to lose more than they want their own team to win.

And of course the way Tubby Smith was treated... well don't even get me started on that. I love how fans don't give Smith credit for winning the title in 98, because of course he was playing with "Rick's boys"

Its a classless program with many classless fans (my family included), and there is no other team I would like to see fail more than UK.

Highlander
11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
LOL!

And there's an interesting study in contrasts too. No cadre of Duke fans are still chanting for Rod Sellers' head or verbally abusing UConn fans for what Sellers did to Laettner - slamming his head on the hardwood. Laettner is over it, we're over it. We have fresh and current reasons to dislike UConn.

pardon me while I check to see if my laptop is still where I left it.

Also of interest. Sellers (IIRC) did not receive a T for mistaking Laettner's head for a basketball, because the ref's didn't see it.

However, Duke fans are likely more "over it" because Laettner came back to hit the winning shot in that game. Duke won, while UK did not. Had Sellers made the game winning shot and Duke lost, I would probably still hold a bit of resentment for the guy, much like UK fans do for Laettner (even though Laettner was punished and Sellers was not).

UrinalCake
11-02-2009, 10:17 AM
My hatred of UK stems from 1998. At the time Duke played them in the tournament, UK's starting point guard had been caught in a hit-and-run while intoxicated. His court date was pushed back until after the tournament so that he could play. When the judge was asked about the player, his response was something to the effect of "oh, I think he's great. He can score, rebound, and distribute the ball!" Basically he was being asked about the player's legal situation and all he cared about was his basketball abilities.

This whole incident painted a picture of a very corrupt system in my mind.

Here's a link I found describing some of the situation:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1012799/index.htm

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I agree. UNC is a rival, therefore my feelings about them are similar to my feelings about jumping into a swimming pool filled with 38 degree water. However, I do acknowledge that it is a good clean program.

That's too funny and brings up a good point. While we love to see unc lose, and even have a bad season, we wouldn't want to see them have continuous bad seasons...it hurts the rivalry. We've witnessed that in football, and the effects of it. (Last game moved)
As for UK, I could give a rat's azz if they have a ton of bad seasons, or if Calipari does something so slimy they get a death penalty sanction. I don't care if they win their conference. I don't care if they win the NCAA championship as long as they didn't beat Duke along the way.
While I loathe unc, I respect them. I am completely indifferent on UK. Get them to move Rupp arena a little closer, and then maybe my interest will be piqued.

mph
11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
3) Calipari- Most UK fans, when they are honest with themselves, know the risk here. They know what kind of coach he has been in the past. Good? Yes. Ethical? No. The coach is the face of the program. To be honest, I didn't mind Kentucky too much when Tubby was the coach. Not even when they won the championship. He is just a good man for the most part and that goes a long way. Calipari is an about face and it makes KY soooooo unlikeable right now.

This is most of it for me. I want Calipari to fail no matter where he coaches. It says a great deal about the KY administration and fan base that they'd spurn a guy like Tubby and embrace a guy like Calipari.

Otherwise I'm in the Saratoga and AM camp. When it comes to who I'd rather see lose, bad character trumps bitter rivalry.

Indoor66
11-02-2009, 11:10 AM
This is most of it for me. I want Calipari to fail no matter where he coaches. It says a great deal about the KY administration and fan base that they'd spurn a guy like Tubby and embrace a guy like Calipari.

Actually it is worse than that because in between those two they embraced that paragon of virtue, Billy G.

brevity
11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm always a little embarrassed that there are Duke fans who actively hate Kentucky. I get the dislike, the distrust, and the general annoyance, but hate? Really?

Until the past few years, and the rise of Internet message boards (or at least my awareness of them), the situation was this: Kentucky fans hated Duke, but Duke didn't really feel too strongly one way or the other about Kentucky. It was fun, because we knew we really got under the skin of Cats fans, but we still saw, say, Michigan as the more exciting opponent.

I've spent some time in Lexington and I can tell you that it lives and breathes college basketball year-round. Within a single set of city limits, nobody obsesses over a hoops team more. Neither Durham nor Chapel Hill comes close. So I have, or at least had, a great appreciation for their fervor. From a safe distance.

That's changed. Every big-time team has a passionate fanbase, and most fanbases can run out of control, but few are as depressingly influential as Kentucky's. The mob mentality becomes dangerous when it runs a decent coach out of town, or when it latches on to the marquee name that may not be the best medicine for an ailing program.

Now, like many Duke fans, I'm more or less amused with the events that comprise Kentucky's recent misfortune, and ethically questionable approach to their likely national comeback. And I want to believe that the collective attitude on this board is more schadenfreude than hatred.

Olympic Fan
11-02-2009, 11:25 AM
This has been going on a long time. Actually, the first Duke-Kentucky blowup pre-dates the Jeff Mullins recruitment.

On Dec. 18, 1956, Rupp brought No. 7 Kentucky to Cameron (actually, Duke Indoor Stadium at the time) to meet a Duke team that would finish 13-11. Kentucky led by 15 early and was still up 84-75 with 2:35 to play. Duke staged a furious rally, keyed by a guard named Bobby Joe Harris, and outscored the Cats 10-0 down the stretch to pull out an 85-84 victory.

At the buzzer, the Duke fans swarmed the court. Afterwards, Rupp complained about the hostile atmosphere and vowed to never bring another Kentucky team to Duke. As far as I can find, that's the first evidence of the Cameron Crazies (obviously, nobody called them that then) impacting a game.

[Note: Despite Rupp's postgame tirade, he did continue the home-and-home series with Duke for two more seasons, playing a game in Lexington in Deceember of 1957 and one more in Durham in December of 1958.]

The Jeff Mullins situation is interesting. When Mullins was a junior, he had a senior teammate named Jon Speaks, who was being heavily recruited by NC State assistant coach Vic Bubas. Speaks liked Bubas, but wanted to play for the hometown Wildcats. Rupp wasn't sure that he wanted Speaks, so he held off on a scholarship offer.

Late that spring, Rupp was the speaker at Speaks high school athletic banquet. Mullins was with him when Rupp came up to the two kids before the banquet and told Speaks that he was offering him a scholarship. Speaks was overwhelmed, but asked for a little time so he could talk it over with his parents. Rupp said, no, he wanted to announce it at the banquet. Speaks was taken aback and asked for more time. Rupp blew up, cursed the kid out and said if he didn't accept the scholarship then and there, he was withdrawing the offer.

Speaks ended up at NC State where he became a first-team All-ACC guard. Tragically, he was killed in a traffic accident in the spring of his senior year at State.

Mullins, who saw the entire exchange, decided then and there that he would not play for Rupp. A year later, he's Mr. Basketball in Kentucky and one of the top recruits in the country. Rupp gets the governor of Kentucky to recruit for him. Obviously, Mullins opted to play for the NC State assistant that had so impressed him during the Speaks recruitment ... although by that time Bubas had become head coach at Duke.

Just another note -- the loss of Speaks to State probably hurt Rupp more than the loss of the future All-American Mullins to Duke. At the time, NC State's Everett Case may have been his most bitter rival.

That all stems back to 1950 when No. 4 Kentucky and No. 5 State were vying for the one NCAA berth in Region 3. The two teams were so close that the chairman of the committee suggested the champion of the SEC and the Southern Conference champs meet in a one-day playoff. Case agreed, but Rupp, arguing that the two-time defending NCAA champs shouldn't have to playoff to get in, refused -- then when the berth was awarded to NC State, lied about it and claimed nobody had ever suggested a playoff.

That controversy forced the NCAA to change its selection process. The field expanded from eight to 16 teams in 1951 and for the first time major conference champions were guaranteed a bid.

After 1950, Rupp was determined to get Case. He turned in State for illegally recruiting Ronnie Shavlik (the NCAA found no illegalites in the Shavlik recruitment, but during the investigation discovered that Case was running an illegal tryout camp ... they gave State a one-year probation in 1955, which allowed Duke to make its first NCAA trip). A year later, Rupp was outbid for a Louisiana prep star named Jackie Moreland, so he turned in State again -- this time the Pack was nailed with a four year all-sports probation that cost the Pack an NCAA trip in 1959 and a chance to play in the 1958 Orange Bowl -- which went to Duke instead.

So Duke has twice benefited from Rupp's war with Case ... three times if you count the Mullins recruitment!

It's been an interesting series. Duke won the first-ever meeting, beating Kentucky in the 1930 Southern Conference Tournament semifinals. Kentucky dominated thereafter, winning 10 of the next 11 matchups culminating in the 1978 NCAA title game. But since that game, Duke has ruled -- starting in 1979-80 when Duke beat Kentucky in the preseason tipoff game and in the NCAA regional semnifinals (played in Rupp Arena!). Duke has won six of the seven games played since 1978 -- three of the wins in OT and another by one point. Kentucky's lone win in that stretch was a two-point win in the 1998 regional finals in St. Pete.

One more note: One of the stars of the 1979-80 team that beat Kentucky twice was another Lexington prep star that Duke stole from under Kentucky's nose -- Vince Taylor.

Bostondevil
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm old enough to remember '78. Some things you don't get over. UK beat 'Forever's Team'. Until you can give that back, I will continue to hate UK.

Kidding! Yeah, I hated Kentucky for awhile after that but in the end I did get over it. I do find it perplexing that 'the Laettner stomp' is always the first thing out of a Kentucky fan's mouth though, in regards to Duke. Yeah, he's ours and yeah, we still claim him, but he hasn't worn the uniform for 18 seasons. You may not be able to get over it, but you should. I'm a Red Sox fan too. I never want to see the Buckner play ever again, but it's not like I still hate the Mets. So I do feel for you that every March you have to watch Laettner hitting that shot again and again and again but c'mon. It's an iconic moment that celebrates somebody coming through in the clutch. I think so many people hate Laettner not for the stomp, the stomp is a crutch, but because he actually did what we all dream of being able to do.

My real feelings about Kentucky are this, if you can put a game in the loss column for Carolina, we're good.

Hey, I'm National Champs!

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-02-2009, 12:26 PM

One note on some of the origins of the feud.

Christian's foot tap was in retaliation to Farmer's throwing him to the floor several plays before. When Laettner gets up Aminu is standing right there, and it appears that Laettner thought he was the giver of the cheap shot.

So basically, Kentucky started it.

alteran
11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry guys, the laetner incident is just something you can't repair no how many games and respectable recruits you sign.

Speaking of things you can't repair no matter how many respectable recruits you sign...

http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/kentucky-shame.jpg

I'm not sure signing up Cal is going to fix this kinda of reputation, but I get the distinct impression Kentucky has other things on it's collective mind.

I don't know where people get the impression that Duke hates Kentucky and UNC with equal zeal. Most of my hatred towards Kentucky is based on the hatred coming at me from the other direction.

Trust me, despite the unlimited hate spewed our direction from the Land of Lame Barbecue, UNC remains Duke public enemy Number 1.

cspan37421
11-02-2009, 03:49 PM
couple more thoughts...

"Death" penalty. I'd like to say to the NCAA: "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Obviously I have a minority view of UNC. Sometimes they like to boast (claim, assert) that it is harder to get in UNC from out of state than to get in Duke. I got in both from out of state - Kentucky, interestingly - and that tends to shut them up a bit. But I would have made a good Robertson Scholar if they had that back in my day.

I can't recall if Bill Walton was on the telecast or just on the sports talk shows the next day, but he was the only one to vigorously defend Laettner. He spoke of how big guys going to the basket are always getting undercut, risking severe injury, and he understood why someone would take umbrage to that. Add that to what someone noted about getting slammed earlier by Farmer (didn't he have that Magnum PI 'stache?) and it makes Laettner look relatively restrained.

KYtotheCore
11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
couple more thoughts...

"Death" penalty. I'd like to say to the NCAA: "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Obviously I have a minority view of UNC. Sometimes they like to boast (claim, assert) that it is harder to get in UNC from out of state than to get in Duke. I got in both from out of state - Kentucky, interestingly - and that tends to shut them up a bit. But I would have made a good Robertson Scholar if they had that back in my day.

I can't recall if Bill Walton was on the telecast or just on the sports talk shows the next day, but he was the only one to vigorously defend Laettner. He spoke of how big guys going to the basket are always getting undercut, risking severe injury, and he understood why someone would take umbrage to that. Add that to what someone noted about getting slammed earlier by Farmer (didn't he have that Magnum PI 'stache?) and it makes Laettner look relatively restrained.

Farmer is running for governor here. As for the incident between him and Laettner, I don't think Farmer is even 6 ft. tall, so I could see where Laettner felt bullied. Just something to mull over.

Bostondevil
11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't think Farmer is even 6 ft. tall

Hence the need to undercut.

Maxwell1977
11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Farmer is running for governor here. As for the incident between him and Laettner, I don't think Farmer is even 6 ft. tall, so I could see where Laettner felt bullied. Just something to mull over.

Quite likely this is going to degenerate into a discussion as to how small you are. :rolleyes:

KYtotheCore
11-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Quite likely this is going to degenerate into a discussion as to how small you are. :rolleyes:

Nah.

CEF1959
11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Would someone please remind me what KY did to receive such bristle?

Here it is: UK had some down years and responded by cutting corners in a series of desperate attempts to win at any cost, regardless of the academics or programmatic integrity, thereby defiling one of the greatest of college basketball programs, then whined incessantly about how unfair the NCAA was when UK got caught doing exactly what it set out to do.

Eddie Sutton was bad enough. John Calipari is just the most recent example of how low the program has stooped in its desperation.

rsvman
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't think the majority of Duke fans dislike Kentucky as much as they dislike UNC, by any stretch of the imagination. On these boards, Duke versus Kentucky is usually a discussion of the relative merits of barbequed pork, for crying out loud!

And when Kentucky plays against UNC, I ALWAYS root for Kentucky, and I will do so again this season.

-jk
11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
OK, enough of this silly UK stuff. This board's namesake was a Kentucky Colonel - an honor conferred for service to the UK basketball team.

There is no real comparison between unc and uk. UK is annoying. UNC is vile.

-jk

cbfx3
11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I pull slightly for UK when they play UNC

Duke4life92
11-02-2009, 11:44 PM
OK, enough of this silly UK stuff. This board's namesake was a Kentucky Colonel - an honor conferred for service to the UK basketball team.

There is no real comparison between unc and uk. UK is annoying. UNC is vile.

Amen,i can't believe this thread or topic is still going.Please stop.This is all the kentucky guy or girl wanted.GO TO HELL CAROLINA--WHO THE HELL CARE'S ABOUT KENTUCKY!!!GEEESH!!

cspan37421
11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
As for the incident between him and Laettner, I don't think Farmer is even 6 ft. tall, so I could see where Laettner felt bullied. Just something to mull over.

OK, I've mulled over it, and decided that you should watch the play again and mull over how irrelevant your height comparison is.