PDA

View Full Version : The Killer Vs

DukeUsul
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Varner and Vernon

How fantastic have these two young men been? Former teammates in high school. Sophomore and Freshman. ACC leaders in receptions per game. Both in the top three in the ACC in Rec Yds/game. Vernon's been doing great returning kicks.

Thad Lewis is having a season for the record books and much of it has to do with a deep, fast and talented receiving corps, led by these two young'ns.

I thought they deserved some special recognition.

Thanks men!

I haven't heard them called the Killer Vs before..... let's start it!

RainingThrees
11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Both these guys have been amazing. I thought Vernon and Varner would be good in a couple years, especially Vernon but he has matured very quickly. Add Austin Kelly, and Johnny Williams to the mix and I think we might have the best receivers in the ACC. Keep up the good work guys. GTHC GTH!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Varner and Vernon

How fantastic have these two young men been? Former teammates in high school. Sophomore and Freshman. ACC leaders in receptions per game. Both in the top three in the ACC in Rec Yds/game. Vernon's been doing great returning kicks.

Thad Lewis is having a season for the record books and much of it has to do with a deep, fast and talented receiving corps, led by these two young'ns.

Thanks men!

Love it! We've been trying to come up with football cheers..... I don't don't mean more of the clapping rhythm associated with basketball. Maybe this nickname can inspire some good cheers.

Bob Green
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Vernon's been doing great returning kicks.

As I posted in a different thread, Conner Vernon is also fifth in the ACC in all purpose yards.

Killer Vs - I love that nickname

jimsumner
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
"I thought Vernon and Varner would be good in a couple years, especially Vernon but he has matured very quickly. Add Austin Kelly, and Johnny Williams to the mix and I think we might have the best receivers in the ACC"

It's not just these four. Tony Foster, Josh Trezvant, and Matt Pridemore have been having difficulty getting snaps at WR. But instead of pouting, they've anchored a rapidly improving special-team situation. And Tyree Watkins is going to be a player.

Add in Williams and Vernon returning kicks and this has been an incredibly productive group in lots of areas.

Best news? None of these guys are seniors. So, when Renfree and Schroeder take over at QB next season, they will have the luxury of a deep and experienced corps of receivers.

Bob Green
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Both these guys have been amazing. I thought Vernon and Varner would be good in a couple years, especially Vernon but he has matured very quickly. Add Austin Kelly, and Johnny Williams to the mix and I think we might have the best receivers in the ACC.

Don't overlook the Tight Ends. Brett Huffman (3), Danny Parker (2), and Brandon King (1) have combined to catch six touchdown passes.

Newton_14
11-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Varner and Vernon

Thanks men!

Dang it! I started calling them the "Killer V's" after the State game and almost used the term on one of the FB threads!! Darn procrastination!! Anyway glad you posted this. We had the Killer B's in hoops and now we have the Killer V's on the gridiron.

These guys can play! I am very excited about the future of our passing game! Coach Cut commented in one of his pre-season show's that he had a lot of playmakers in the wide receiver corps and that would be one of the strengths of the team. He could not have been more right.

I have not heard the name Eron Riley in some time now! (No knock on Eron either as he was great and we loved him!!) It's just that most people felt that was going to be a big void and Johnny Williams seemed like the only valid replacement. Turns out we are loaded at the position!

CBDUKE
11-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Don't forget that we have Killer V's on defense too. Vince O and Vinnie Rey.

loran16
11-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Don't forget that we have Killer V's on defense too. Vince O and Vinnie Rey.

Yeah but we lose them after this year. Where as the Killer Offensive Vs are both here for at least 2 more years.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Don't overlook the Tight Ends. Brett Huffman (3), Danny Parker (2), and Brandon King (1) have combined to catch six touchdown passes.
Last week's Duke Football Show focused on the tight ends and Ron Middleton, their coach. They are really invaluable in our system. And I finally got to learn some more about #87! (Huffman)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Last week's Duke Football Show focused on the tight ends and Ron Middleton, their coach. They are really invaluable in our system. And I finally got to learn some more about #87! (Huffman)

On the same program I learned that Brandon King was coached in high school by Randy Cuthbert, a great running back from the past.

Highlander
11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
See I was thinking something related to this, the relaunch of which starts tomorrow. Killer V's is better, tho.
http://blindie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/v_mini_series-277x400.jpg

DukeUsul
11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I think Heather Dinich must read DBR.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/6113/what-to-watch-in-the-acc-week-10-2

Battierfan01
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
There is a great article on these guys in the November issue of Go Duke Magazine by John Roth. These guys are awesome and I look forward to seeing them reach great heights while at Duke. I think the Killer V's will = Victory!!

airowe
11-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I think Heather Dinich must read DBR.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/6113/what-to-watch-in-the-acc-week-10-2

Nice!

Duke’s Killer V’s. Sophomore Donovan Varner and freshman Conner Vernon, former high school teammates at Gulliver prep in Miami, have been instrumental in Duke’s three-game winning streak. Over the past three games, Varner has caught 22 passes for 387 yards and one touchdown while Vernon has 22 receptions for 291 yards and two scores. On the season, Varner has a team-best 42 receptions for 660 yards and five touchdowns while Vernon has set a new Duke freshman record with 38 receptions for 562 yards and three touchdowns.

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Nice!
Woulda been nice for her to give a shoutout. :mad:

loran16
11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Eh, the nickname has been posted i think in the chronicle as well lately, and i mentioned it in a comment on her blog earlier this week.

So she could've heard it elsewhere.

Still, pretty awesome that the nickname has stuck. Lets see em RIP (TEAR) UP Carolina.

Bob Green
11-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Here is a nice article from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/story/1319144.html

Newton_14
11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Here is a nice article from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/story/1319144.html

Really good article. Thanks for sharing Bob!

I hope our boys come out strong tomorrow and play at a high level. The holes offense is so bad, they will be hard pressed to match Duke point for point if Thad gets it going.

If we do not allow the holes to get any points from their defense or special teams they will have a long day....

GTHC 9F 9F 9F and Go Duke!!