PDA

View Full Version : Most important November in Duke history?

DevilWolf
11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
With the four remaining football games, an impending announcement from Harrison Barnes on November 12th, and the beginning of Coach K's 30th year at Duke, is this the most important November ever? If you think about it, the next two weeks could define the next decade at Duke for football and basketball.

Indoor66
11-01-2009, 06:02 PM
With the four remaining football games, an impending announcement from Harrison Barnes on November 12th, and the beginning of Coach K's 30th year at Duke, is this the most important November ever? If you think about it, the next two weeks could define the next decade at Duke for football and basketball.

Nice post. You raise issues to think upon.

Wander
11-01-2009, 06:59 PM
A little hyperbolic, but yeah it's a big month.

It's unlikely that a one year player will define a 10 year period of basketball at a powerhouse program, but Barnes is Step 2 in our three step preseason plan of getting back to the Final Four (1=Irving, 3=Singler).

As for football, "ever" is a bit strong, but I'm reminded of a comment made by an announcer at the Rutgers-Louisville game a few years ago. One guy said the game was the most important in the program's history, and the other said "Yeah, and if they win, next week's game against Cincinnati will be the most important game in Rutgers history, and if they win that one, then the week after against USF will be the most important game in Rutgers history..." etc etc. I think we're at that stage right now. From NC State onward, every game has been and will be the biggest in the past 20 years, at least, of Duke football.

dukestheheat
11-01-2009, 07:03 PM
^^^^^

I just want Duke football to win (by as little as one point, I don't care) this football game this weekend. This one, to me, is just a big game! Come on Duke!

And yeah, we need Barnes badly. I'd say this is a pretty important month, no doubt about it.

dth.

jimsumner
11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
"From NC State onward, every game has been and will be the biggest in the past 20 years, at least, of Duke football."

Why are these games more important than 1994, when first-year coach Fred Goldsmith went 7-0 and ended the regular season at 8-3 after two gut-wrenching losses to NCSU and UNC? Two plays from 10-1.

Or Goldsmith's last year, 1998, when a 4-4 Duke team went to Vanderbilt with bowl scouts watching? Duke loses in 2-OT and the team quits on Goldsmith. Duke goes bowling that year and maybe Franks never comes back to Duke.

Make it last 1o years and maybe we're on to something. Although the Wake loss last year after the road win v. Vandy was pretty big.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Most important ever in Duke history?

I guess I've never realized the importance of football and basketball to Duke.

Wander
11-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Why are these games more important than 1994, when first-year coach Fred Goldsmith went 7-0 and ended the regular season at 8-3 after two gut-wrenching losses to NCSU and UNC? Two plays from 10-1.

Because 1994 was a complete outlier in the past 20 years of Duke football. Fantastic year, but with the benefit of hindsight, we can see that it wasn't really a big deal from a larger-picture perspective. Just two seasons later as you know Duke went 0-11.

Just speculation of course, but I think Cutcliffe is building a program that is better equipped for long term success. I don't see us going winless in 2011.

jimsumner
11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
"Because 1994 was a complete outlier in the past 20 years of Duke football. "

But we didn't know that at the time. Duke beats State and Carolina, goes 10-1, goes to the Cotton Bowl or some such and who knows how the future plays out? Maybe losing the last three games, two in November, blunted the early successes of that season and made the 0-11's more likely.

We'll never know. Because Duke didn't win those two November games.

Wander
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Fair point. Another reason it's tough to say is the recruiting factor - who knows if/how many recruits' decisions are actually affected by those game results. Either way, big game, and I'd love to win and start transforming some of the "can we make a bowl" talk to "let's win the damn ACC" talk. :)

Olympic Fan
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Big November, for sure, but I was actually thinking that it could set up that the three days -- Nov. 12-14 -- could be the biggest 72 hours in Duke's modern sports history.

To set that up, Duke needs to beat UNC this weekend. Not saying that's easy, but it's possible. And if it happens, that makes Duke 6-3, 4-1 ACC -- one game from bowl eligibility and playing Georgia Tech at home for control of the Coastal Division (and for the best record in the ACC!).

That means:

Thursday, Nov. 12 -- Harrison Barnes announces his decision. He's a pivotal recruit, especially since he's probably going to pick either Duke or UNC. We'll have to wait and see how he impacts the future -- is he a one-year player? is he overrated? or is he as good as advertised lead either Duke or UNC to a national title?

For the moment, he's the most significant player that Duke and UNC have dueled head to head for since Shane Battier (note: guys like Brandon Wright and Shav Randolph were big battles, but neither was the No. 1 player in his class as Barnes is). That alone makes his decision a huge moment.

Friday, Nov. 13 -- Duke opens its 30th basketball season under Coach K against UNC Greensboro. Not a big deal in itself (unless the unthinkable happens), but a moment to celebrate the program -- and hopefully the Barnes decision -- before ...

Saturday, Nov. 14 -- Georgia Tech (currently No. 10 in the BCS) visits Wade, looking to clinch the Coastal Division title. Even if Duke falls at UNC, it's a big game for an overachieving Duke team, but if we're 6-3, riding a four-game ACC winning streak, it would be the biggest game for the Devils since when?

Okay, the 1998 2OT loss at Vandy was huge (and in hindsight had a huge impact on the future of the program), but even a win wouldn't have been as big as this one would be. The two late losses to NC State and UNC in 1994 were big, but didn't have conference title implications as this would have (FSU had the ACC title locked up).

I think you have to go back to 1989 when 7-2 NC State came to Durham on Nov. 11 for a game against a 6-3 Duke team that had won five straight games (four in the ACC). ButDuke had just one ACC loss and with a win would almost certainly tie Virginia for the ACC championship.

Shane Montgomery of State set an ACC passing yardage record that day, but Duke won 35-28, smashed a terrible UNC team a week later and shared the ACC title with Virginia.

So -- provided Duke upsets UNC this week -- I think you CAN make the case that next week's game with Georgia Tech will be the biggest Duke football game in 20 years ... almost exactly 20 years.

And that would make the three-day period from Nov. 12-14 as big a 72 hour stretch as there has been in modern Duke sports history.

gep
11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Thursday, Nov. 12 -- Harrison Barnes announces his decision. He's a pivotal recruit, especially since he's probably going to pick either Duke or UNC. We'll have to wait and see how he impacts the future -- is he a one-year player? is he overrated? or is he as good as advertised lead either Duke or UNC to a national title?

This gave me a funny thought... is Barnes also waiting for the outcome of the Duke/unc football game along with his other options? :rolleyes::D

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Hard to imagine a worse way for this to have played out. Bowl chances dashed by Carolina on the gridiron (assuming we don't miraculously beat a top 10 Ga. Tech), K's best pitch shot down by Roy's last-second spiteful grab, and an injury to the player everyone was hoping would be our breakout star frosh. Seriously, when was the last time we got a surprise that was anything but terrible? How long can this last?!? :(

yancem
11-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Hard to imagine a worse way for this to have played out. Bowl chances dashed by Carolina on the gridiron (assuming we don't miraculously beat a top 10 Ga. Tech), K's best pitch shot down by Roy's last-second spiteful grab, and an injury to the player everyone was hoping would be our breakout star frosh. Seriously, when was the last time we got a surprise that was anything but terrible? How long can this last?!? :(

I don't know, I thought that Irving picking Duke was a nice surprise.

DukieInBrasil
11-14-2009, 08:40 AM
if this is the most important Nov. in Duke history, well, itīs not going so well. We already lost out on HB and Mason is out, probably for the length of Nov.

We got a huge win in our opener over UNC-G, though, despite the absence of 3 guys who would have played in the game.

Devilsfan
11-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Do things come in threes? If so Nolan out, Miles injured, and HB accepting an inferior academic institution might mean the bad is over. Kyrie coming to Duke, K getting a new grandson is two for the very good. Now I hope we see mumber three real soon.