PDA

View Full Version : Duke get coaches respect

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2009, 01:01 PM
We got 3 votes in the new poll released today.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Like i said in the other football tread

PROGRESS PEOPLE PROGRESS.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2009, 01:09 PM
We got 3 votes in the new poll released today.
OH MY GOD! Now no one can dump on Steve Spurrier for voting for us! We have done it the old fashioned way - we earned it!:cool::cool::cool::D

Devilsfan
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
We're just getting started. Wait until our staff has a few recruiting years behind them. I know our receiving corp is VERY strong but I was watching our games and just wondering when #10 will get a chance on offence. His pedigree is pretty strong. Dad played in NFL, brother plays for Florida, has speed to burn and he has made some nice plays on special teams.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2009, 01:32 PM
We're just getting started. Wait until our staff has a few recruiting years behind them. I know our receiving corp is VERY strong but I was watching our games and just wondering when #10 will get a chance on offence. His pedigree is pretty strong. Dad played in NFL, brother plays for Florida, has speed to burn and he has made some nice plays on special teams.

Duke's current roster shows two #10's. Which one?

Indoor66
11-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Duke's current roster shows two #10's. Which one?

Probably this (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22667&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1104231&Q_SEASON=2009) one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Probably this (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22667&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1104231&Q_SEASON=2009) one.

Pridemore was contributing in yesterday's game. His name was called several times in the play by play.

jimsumner
11-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Pridemore has made contributions on special teams and in practice. He has been tried at running back, defensive back, and wide receiver but hasn't earned much PT at those positions.

He's a WR now. Duke seems to be getting pretty good production from the WRs who are in the rotation.

jmb
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
there are 6 ACC teams who have more votes than us. i don't think we're getting respect; i think 3 coaches realized they can't ignore us anymore. respect will be when we're ranked appropriately versus the rest of the conference

Jim3k
11-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Pridemore is a heckuva gunner on special teams. He was the one who blew up Logans's punt return leading to King's recovery of the fumblewith 2-1/2 mins. to go in the game.

jimsumner
11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
"i don't think we're getting respect; i think 3 coaches realized they can't ignore us anymore. respect will be when we're ranked appropriately versus the rest of the conference "

Oh, c'mon. I think any rational Duke fan is delighted with the program's newly-found potency and the chance of playing truly meaningful games in November.

But Duke is 5-3, with the wins coming over Army, North Carolina Central, and the only three ACC teams with overall losing records. This does not translate into a national ranking.

It's absurd, IMO, to try playing the we-don't-get-no-respect-card. Duke's turnaround is getting national recognition, as witnessed by the national honors earned by Thad after the State win and a number of projections that have Duke making a bowl game.

Duke will be underdogs in its next three games, two on the road and all against teams that have been nationally ranked at some point this season. So, there's plenty of opportunities to move up to charts.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

FireOgilvie
11-01-2009, 02:52 PM
there are 6 ACC teams who have more votes than us. i don't think we're getting respect; i think 3 coaches realized they can't ignore us anymore. respect will be when we're ranked appropriately versus the rest of the conference

Are we really a top 25 team though? We didn't beat anyone in the top 25 and we lost to Richmond. We beat 3 of the worst or maybe the 3 worst teams in the ACC. We were also destroyed by Kansas, who isn't even getting any top 25 votes even though they have the same overall record. We have 4 bowl-qualifying wins, all against bad opponents. Let's wait and see what we do against the teams ranked ahead of us. I'm confident we could beat UNC and Wake, and I'm thinking we're going to give the two ranked teams trouble as well.

I agree with jimsumner.

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Are we really a top 25 team though?
No, and that's why we aren't ranked. We are however making progress. Even if we end up with a winning record and are bowl bound, I'm not sure we'd be in the top 25, but it is fun to think about. For what it's worth, and to put things in perspective, we got votes last year as well. For exactly one week.

Bob Green
11-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Duke seems to be getting pretty good production from the WRs who are in the rotation.

Indeed we are. Conner Vernon leads the ACC with 5.4 catches per game. Donovan Varner is tied for second with 5.2 and Austin Kelly is fourth with 5.1 catches per game. Having three of the top four receivers in the ACC along with Thaddeus Lewis at QB is the reason Duke has the top rated passing offense in the league.

Donovan Varner is second in the league in receiving yards/per game at 82.5 and Conner Vernon is third with 80.3. Conner Vernon is also fifth in the league in all purpose yards averaging 117.3 yards per game.

All the league stats are here:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/confldrs.html

I'm not sure if the ACC has a Rookie-of-the-Year award in football, but if they do Conner Vernon has to be in the running.

jimsumner
11-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm sure Bob realized that I was being a bit sardonic. I also was trying to gently suggest that Pridemore might not be at quite that level as a WR.

The ACC does indeed have a Rookie of the Year Award. I suspect Ryan Williams is Vernon's major competition for that award.

Kewlswim
11-01-2009, 03:44 PM
"i don't think we're getting respect; i think 3 coaches realized they can't ignore us anymore. respect will be when we're ranked appropriately versus the rest of the conference "

Oh, c'mon. I think any rational Duke fan is delighted with the program's newly-found potency and the chance of playing truly meaningful games in November.

But Duke is 5-3, with the wins coming over Army, North Carolina Central, and the only three ACC teams with overall losing records. This does not translate into a national ranking.

It's absurd, IMO, to try playing the we-don't-get-no-respect-card. Duke's turnaround is getting national recognition, as witnessed by the national honors earned by Thad after the State win and a number of projections that have Duke making a bowl game.

Duke will be underdogs in its next three games, two on the road and all against teams that have been nationally ranked at some point this season. So, there's plenty of opportunities to move up to charts.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

However, I like teams who play with a chip on their shoulder. If that means "the we don't get no respect" chip gets played...so be it.

GO DUKE!

jafarr1
11-01-2009, 03:47 PM
If Duke truly is a top 25 team, they still have four games to prove it, including two against top 25 teams.

For now, I just want to beat UNC!

Bob Green
11-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm sure Bob realized that I was being a bit sardonic. I also was trying to gently suggest that Pridemore might not be at quite that level as a WR.

The ACC does indeed have a Rookie of the Year Award. I suspect Ryan Williams is Vernon's major competition for that award.

Absolutely. I was definitely agreeing with your post. Pridemore is great on special teams but our receiving corps is top notch so I don't expect he will see any playing time as a receiver this year.

chrishoke
11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Duke is currently ranked 62nd in the latest Sagarin rankings - that sounds about right and is a huge improvement. I love this team.

Acymetric
11-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Duke is currently ranked 62nd in the latest Sagarin rankings - that sounds about right and is a huge improvement. I love this team.

I find it strange how far below Air Force we are in all 3 calculations...didn't bother to check our other opponents, but that one really doesn't make sense to me.

jimsumner
11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Air Force?

The NCCU game really killed Duke's Strength of Schedule, in addition to being a doesn't-count-for-bowl-eligibility win.
Pity.

cspan37421
11-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree with Jim Sumner and Fireoglesby. We need a top 25 (or, if you like Sagarin, top 30) win. We can do it. Will we do it? I hope, but in these last 4 games, we are (by Sagarin's measure) evenly matched in one and underdogs in 3. However, anything can happen. We have played some better teams respectably (Va Tech) and not so well (Kansas). This next month is a real test of of every aspect of our players, coaches, game plans, etc.

Atldukie79
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
We do not deserve a top 25 ranking yet for the reasons mentioned.

But in addition to the 3 coaches who voted for us, I am sure we are getting our future opponent's coaches respect. It is a challenge to stop the Duke passing attack of the last 4 or 5 weeks. It was interesting to see that UVA would sometimes have all defensive players standing up and moving around to try and confuse our blocking schemes.

We are clearly a better team today than we were in week 1 of this season.
Much is clicking: passing attack , FG unit, defense making one on one tackles, stamina, game strategy, not giving up third and long plays, few penalties, few turnovers....lot's to like!

We need some improvement in run blocking, kick off coverage, net punting.

We also need a win over a team with a winning record (UNC!!) ...then I think we will see a "goodly" amount of attention on the Ga Tech game. I can assure you that my many Tech fans here in Atlanta are taking note of Duke...many are planning a road trip to Durham.

I did receive a priceless text message from my freshman son at UGA:

"I spent 18 years suffering as a Duke football fan. Then I enroll at a football factory...only to realize that UGA would probably lose to Duke!"

Nice!

juise
11-02-2009, 01:49 AM
The AP didn't give Duke the same love, but they did give a vote to FCS #1 Richmond. This is clearly a reward for their (early season) resume-building win over the #39 team in the coach's poll. :p

budwom
11-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Pridemore is a heckuva gunner on special teams. He was the one who blew up Logans's punt return leading to King's recovery of the fumblewith 2-1/2 mins. to go in the game.

Good player, but hands are the question mark at this point (relative to being used at WR).

Channing
11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I just saw that Duke got three votes in the coaches poll. I was wondering if we were going to start getting some votes based on our recent performances, and it was very gratifying to see multiple coaches showing Duke football some respect. Here's to more wins.