Olympic Fan
11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Going into November, the ACC has qualified three teams for bowls:

Georgia Tech (8-1, 5-1)
Miami (6-2, 3-2)
Boston College (6-3, 3-2)

Two more teams are one win from bowl qualification and should make it:

Virginia Tech (5-3, 3-2)
Clemson (5-3, 3-2) (note -- Clemson has one FBS win ... I had to check and make sure MTSU was a FCS school).

That's five of the nine teams that the ACC needs to fill its bowl slots. On the other end of the spectrum, I think there are two teams with no chance of getting the required six wins (counting just one FBS win):

N.C. State (3-5, 0-4) -- The Pack has two FBS wins, so they still need four more wins to qualify. They have to sweep Maryland, Clemson, at Va Tech and UNC to qualify. Not going to happen.

Maryland (2-6, 1-3) -- The Terps also need to win out against at NC State, Virginia Tech, at FSU and Boston College. Not going to happen.

That leaves five schools fighting for the other four bowl slots. Needing two more wins to qualify:

Duke (5-3, 3-1) -- at UNC, Georgia Tech, at Miami and Wake Forest. Certainly possible, but definitely not guaranteed.

North Carolina (5-3, 1-3) -- UNC has two FBS wins and can count just one, so like us, they need two more wins in their final four games: Duke, Miami, at Boston College and at N.C. State. Again, possible but not guaranteed.

I will say that looking at the schedules, Saturday's Duke-UNC winner is in great shape, the loser will be struggling to make it.

Florida State (4-4, 2-3) -- also needs two wins down the stretch and with a game at Florida to close the season, they really need two of the next three. Not impossible -- they'll be underdogs at Clemson, but will be a tossup at Wake and will be favored at home against Maryland.

Wake Forest (4-5, 2-3) -- need two wins in three games to make it (that loss to Navy really hurts). At Georgia Tech is going to be tough, but FSU in Winston is a tossup, then they finish at Duke.

It would really be interesting to close the season with 5-6 Wake playing 6-5 Duke with a bowl bid on the line!

One team is three wins from bowl eligibility:

Virginia (3-5, 2-2) -- The loss to Duke really hurts. They still need to win three of four: at Miami, Boston College, at Clemson and Virginia Tech. Seriously, I don't think they make it.

In my opinion, the ACC is going to have a hard time filling its nine bowl slots. State and Maryland are all but dead and Virginia is close. That leaves nine teams for nine spots and at least a couple of them will struggle. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and predict the Duke-UNC winner is in and the loser is out. The FSU-Wake winner/loser is in the same boat.

So I guess I'm saying that the ACC is likely to produce just seven bowl eligible teams. If I'm right, that's good news for Duke -- it would mean that a 7-5 Duke team was not just eligible for a bowl, but also assured of a bowl.

As for the division races, one is simple, the other is confused.

Georgia Tech has a strangehold on the Coastal Division. At 5-1, they get Wake at home Saturday and if they win that as they should, they can clinch the title a week later at Duke. Not giving up on the Devils -- beat the Jackets and suddenly Miami, Virginia Tech and Duke are all in the mix with Georgia Tech.

The Atlantic is a mess. Clemson is tied with BC in the standings, but has its fate in its hands thanks to a tiebreaker win over BC. The key for the Tigers is this week's game with FSU in Death Valley. If they win that, they're pretty much home free -- they get to close at NC State and with Virginia at home.

Lose that and suddenly BC is the frontrunner, but they would need to win out. What if we get a three-way tie at 5-3 between Clemson, BC and FSU? For that to happen, they all would have gone 1-1 against each other ... then it comes down to BCS standings.

It's going to be fun to watch it play out. I'm holding off one more week before getting carried away with Duke's division title chances -- beat UNC and suddenly the Georgia Tech game becomes the most significant November game for the Devils since the 1989 game against NC State (when the winning was likely to tie Virginia for the ACC title).

davekay1971
11-01-2009, 11:54 AM
It's amazing to be sitting here November 1 and looking at the rest of the Duke schedule as being, essentially, all crucial games.

Nov 7 at UNC looks, on paper, more winnable than Ga Tech at home or Miami on the road. Given that we need 2 more wins for a bowl bid, the UNC game is huge. Plus, of course, it's UNC.

As you noted, if we beat UNC, Ga Tech becomes (still getting used to this idea) a game with first place in our division at stake. Huh? Wild and wonderful.

Depending on the results of those first two games, Miami could either be a must-win to keep bowl hopes alive, or the least critical of the three.

I think I'm with a lot of people in thinking that there's a very real chance Duke-Wake could be a sudden death game where the winner gets a bowl bid, the loser stays home. Here's hoping Wake either wins or loses both of their ACC games before they get to us. They're a good team, well coached, and I'd rather they didn't have a bowl bid on the line when they played us!

Great feeling, at this point in the season, to be looking at the last four games, and having three goals still possible: a winning season, a bowl bid, and (knocking on wood, knocking on wood, knocking on wood) a December trip to Tampa.

airowe
11-01-2009, 11:59 AM
FWIW, ESPN has Duke playing Central Michigan in the GMAC Bowl:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections

Indoor66
11-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Maybe we can qualify for a bailout by playing in that bowl.

Duvall
11-01-2009, 12:08 PM
At this point I'm rooting for a Duke-BC ACC championship game. Good seats still available!

JG Nothing
11-01-2009, 12:23 PM

As a former long-time resident of Mobile, Alabama, I'm not sure if that is a reward or punishment. ;) At least the weather will probably be decent and the seafood will definitely be excellent. :D They also have a Mardi Gras style parade before the game.

Olympic Fan
11-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Personally, I think we need one more win to start talking about bowl chances, but what the heck ...

The thing is, with my expected scenario -- that only seven ACC teams qualify for bowls -- I doubt we'd be going to the GMAC Bowl.

Here's the deal. The ACC champ goes to the BCS (probably the Orange Bowl). The Chik-fil-A (Peach) Bowl gets next pick. The Gator Bowl (this the last year that the ACC will send a team to the Gator) picks third. The Champs Bowl in Orlando picks fourth.

Okay, unless we win out or at least finish 3-1 to finish 6-2 (which could bring the ACC one-win run into effect ... esentially, the bowls have a one-game leeway in the standings when they make their picks. Meaning they could take 5-3 Clemson over 6-2 Duke, but could not take 4-4 FSU ahead of 6-2 Duke).

Realistically, let's suggest that Duke is 7-5, 5-3 ACC. That would almost certainly miss the top four ACC bowl slots.

What happens next is complicated. The Music City Bowl, the Meneke Bowl in Charlotte and the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco will negogiate between themselves and the ACC office for the next three teams. I think the two odd teams out are Duke and Boston College -- the two teams with the smallest fan bases. But I think that the two Southern Bowls, while they would prefer teams like Clemson, VPI or North Carolina with huge fan followings, would take Duke over BC is they can because of georgraphy (a lot more of Duke's small fan base might make the drive to Nashville or especially Charlotte than the BC fan base) and because of the novelty of Duke's first bowl bid in 15 years.

Note: I said Duke would be more attractive than BC ... I also think that given the choice, any bowl would prefer any other eligible ACC team to Duke (or BC).

I don't think the Eagle Bank Bowl in Washington or the GMAC Bowl will come into play. They pick 8th and 9th and I doubt the ACC will have an eligible team for them.

Obviously, the key for Duke is to beat North Carolina -- which would make it tough for UNC (and its large fan base) to qualify for a bowl, while it would make Duke a likely bowl candidate.

After that, I'd pull for the teams with the big fan bases -- Clemson and Va Tech to do well and get into the top four (along with Georgia Tech and Miami).

That would leave maybe Duke, BC and FSU bidding for the three smaller bowls. In that scenario, I'd like Duke's chances of getting Charlotte or at least Nashville.

Still, until Duke beats UNC, this is all premature (but fun) speculation.

Wander
11-01-2009, 07:02 PM
As long as we're making wild premature speculations, how about this one:

Duke beats UNC and Wake AND upsets Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Duke all finish with matching 6-2 conference records. What happens then?

loran16
11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
As long as we're making wild premature speculations, how about this one:

Duke beats UNC and Wake AND upsets Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Duke all finish with matching 6-2 conference records. What happens then?

The team with the top BCS ranking makes the ACC Championship game.

In this case...I'd bet its one of GT or VT. Probably VT.

burnspbesq
11-01-2009, 07:15 PM

One of the two ESPN pundits is calling it that way. The other has Duke playing Stanford in the Emerald Bowl. I would love that, as San Francisco is a day trip for me.

Indoor66
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
One of the two ESPN pundits is calling it that way. The other has Duke playing Stanford in the Emerald Bowl. I would love that, as San Francisco is a day trip for me.

I would have to visit my neice in San Jose!